What is Bran's role in this story?

Lord of Raventree Hall

Honestly, I have been unsatisfied with many of the results I have read on this topic, and I am just wondering what people think. 

My personal opinion is that I have no idea. For sure, I think he will be used to give us a little Westerosi history, however to what end I am not sure. Perhaps he will be like Jon's political advisor and help him defeat the Others, or perhaps he ends up supporting the Others over the Targaryens. I am very much worried by his detachment while controlling Hodor, or his and Arya's lack of caring while consuming human flesh in wolf form. However, Bran has mostly seemed to be a just person who wants to help people, so I still do not see the jump to some Other helping powerful sorceror or something. I guess I think it is most likely he stays on the peripheal and helps Jon some while perhaps being misunderstood by people like Melisandre.

I had this weird idea a while ago that Bran will regain his legs by becoming WW. I don't think there is any evidence for it, buy if they can raise the dead then someone's legs are no comparison. 
Or he will at least show us what do The Others want and what they are. Or maybe both.

You will get lots of different answers.  For my part I really wonder if any of the Stark kids will be connected by duty in the future.  Bran hasn't yet spent any time helping Jon with anything.  Why would Bran's part to play rely on Jon?  Bran is a powerful warg, skinchanger and greenseer independent of everyone else.  If the weirwood net is thing influencing events Bran would probably end up maintaining the net, rather like the inverse of a breaker.  Bran may be the one to ensure the safety of future Westeros.  I doubt he will be "wed" to a tree.  He has a job as the Lord of Winterfell.  Little guy has lots to do.  

Take control of the army of the dead with his skinchanging abilities. He is the most powerful greenseer ever. 

And in the end to be revealed as the time traveling and ominous Three-Eyed Crow, responsible for many events in this universe.

So yeah, probably the biggest role in this series in the overall scope of things.

39 minutes ago, Scorpion92 said:

Take control of the army of the dead with his skinchanging abilities. He is the most powerful greenseer ever. 

And in the end to be revealed as the time traveling and ominous Three-Eyed Crow, responsible for many events in this universe.

So yeah, probably the biggest role in this series in the overall scope of things.

lol time travel.

I think at bare minimum exposition, in that he is the only possible way we have of seeing long ago memories of dead characters that may prove significant to the plot, e.g. the relationship between Ned and Ashara.

If I were to pick something to see honestly it would have to be when Ned returned Dawn to the Daynes. Edric Dayne seems quite fond of Ned, so I feel like Ned did something significant for the Daynes. I have my theories but there's little evidence for any of them.

I do think Brands Greenseer abilities will have a significant role in the final battle, if there is one anyway. I have my doubts as if you read GRRM's other works, particularly the Thousand Worlds ones, the recurring theme is very anti-war, and the name "Others" signifies to me that the Others aren't as inherently evil as they're made out to be, so I wouldn't be surprised with an ending where there is no final battle with the Others.

Part of the problem with knowing what Bran's role will be is that GRRM himself probably does not know completely. He has stated that the series started as a War of the Roses story, but he changed his mind halfway through because everybody knew how that story ended. So Bran started as one of the princes in the tower who disappeared, most likely killed. When GRRM changed the story Bran's role changed. Now he needed to be the powerful greenseer to help with the White Walkers. The change in roles and reconciling the change in overall story that started mid-ASOS is what is probably holding up TWOW from publishing on time.

11 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

You will get lots of different answers.  For my part I really wonder if any of the Stark kids will be connected by duty in the future.  Bran hasn't yet spent any time helping Jon with anything.  Why would Bran's part to play rely on Jon?  Bran is a powerful warg, skinchanger and greenseer independent of everyone else.  If the weirwood net is thing influencing events Bran would probably end up maintaining the net, rather like the inverse of a breaker.  Bran may be the one to ensure the safety of future Westeros.  I doubt he will be "wed" to a tree.  He has a job as the Lord of Winterfell.  Little guy has lots to do.  

You make a good point about him not helping other Starks, but I think if they are both powerful generals fighting the Others, it is only logical they would work together. I like the idea of him having a powerful weirwood net he uses to shift the way things end.

3 hours ago, Praetor Xyn said:

I think at bare minimum exposition, in that he is the only possible way we have of seeing long ago memories of dead characters that may prove significant to the plot, e.g. the relationship between Ned and Ashara.

If I were to pick something to see honestly it would have to be when Ned returned Dawn to the Daynes. Edric Dayne seems quite fond of Ned, so I feel like Ned did something significant for the Daynes. I have my theories but there's little evidence for any of them.

I do think Brands Greenseer abilities will have a significant role in the final battle, if there is one anyway. I have my doubts as if you read GRRM's other works, particularly the Thousand Worlds ones, the recurring theme is very anti-war, and the name "Others" signifies to me that the Others aren't as inherently evil as they're made out to be, so I wouldn't be surprised with an ending where there is no final battle with the Others.

I agree with your first part completely. As to your last point, I should read some of GRRM's other works. It would be interesting if the Others are not even truly evil. Do you have any suggestions for some of GRRM's best non-ASOIAF works?

Maybe Jon kills Dany to ignite lightbringer then isn't trusted by Drogon so Bran wargs into Drogon so Jon can become a dragonrider.

I get a feeling Bran will die in the story but, like Varamyr Sixskins in the prologue of ADWD, will warg into one of the dragons and either, he'll reach that point where he forgets he was ever human or the dragons will die too. Maybe he stays warged to Drogon too long and just wastes away.

7 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

You make a good point about him not helping other Starks, but I think if they are both powerful generals fighting the Others, it is only logical they would work together. I like the idea of him having a powerful weirwood net he uses to shift the way things end.

I agree with your first part completely. As to your last point, I should read some of GRRM's other works. It would be interesting if the Others are not even truly evil. Do you have any suggestions for some of GRRM's best non-ASOIAF works?

I think the Starks will all ultimately play some part in the Battle for Dawn.  None of them have been set up to work in a submissive role.  Working together is likely how it will all come down.  I will include Sansa in this.   Bran has already been able to reach out to Jon and Arya.  There is no reason he wouldn't reach out to Rickon and Sansa as well--as his ability to reach into dreams and skin change things grows.  I expect Bran will have the "inside track" on the Others or something critical to the Others.  Bran is more or less gathering forces whether he knows it or not.   I didn't mean to discount any of the Stark kids.   They've all got important things to do.  

8 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

To me the clue is in the name. There is a tribal mentality that leads people to demonize members of another group, hence the name Other. I believe the Others are a metaphor for this.

As for works in TW to read, A Song for Lya (Lyanna Stark is named after this) is arguably the best thing he's written. Others I can think of with parallels in ASOIAF are Men of Greywater Station, In the House of the Worm, Nightflyers, And Seven Times Never Kill Man!, Dying of the Light, Meathouse Man.

Parts of a lot of these parallel one aspect of Bran's story in particular.

I do believe Bran will be a vital part of the war to come with the knowledge that he will obtain from the weirnet.  Although I personally think he will be the character to help us understand the bittersweet ending better.  I believe that we will "connect" all the stories through his visions and realize that even though it seemed that war was the best option, it still ended with everyone's loved ones dead(royalty and common folk alike).  Bran will be the one to understand this and work towards tearing down the feudal system and installing some sort of new system.  Also I could be wrong and Bran is the sacrifice that makes someone else understand that.  

I think it's nailed on that he'll use his abilities to manipulate many people over great distances. I keep remembering the account of when Tohren Stark (citation needed) bent the knee to the dragons as he had nothing at his disposal to thwart them. And I wonder, what if the 'others' are a solution to the Dragon's dominance? I dunno. I can't quite place it. GRRM often reminds us of history repeating itself only with a twist. I like the idea of the Targs returning only this time, the King/Queen in the North has an army of Ice dudes to fight back. One possibility is that Bran will inhabit Jon. This will mean that Bran achieves his dreams of becoming a great Knight perhaps.

My reasoning is that if there are gods, truly, or at the very least, a consciousness within the tree's, watching and scrutinizing, then it feels natural for that entity to be enraged by the presence of Valyrian rule. The Andlas seem to of left the first men be, in the north anyway. But the Valyrians came with dragons to subjugate. Bran could arguably assimilate them. 

It does serve some purpose other than fan service; it wouldn't be merely zombies vs dragons. It's a chance for the Weirwood to basically save itself. There are little to no children left to defend it. Hardly anyone in Westeros seems prepared to defend the faith of the old gods at all. It makes some sense that the children tried to create a faith militant of their own in the form of others and wound up screwing themselves over. A bit like humanities creation of the atom bomb. 

Side note. I know people feel bad for Hodor but what choice did/does Bran have? They'd would of died were it not for Brans ability to warg him and I don't think it's the last time Bran will invade a persons mind. Willing or otherwise.

I think he will be able to communicate (in some way) with present day people over great distance. And obviously see the past/future. But I don't think the future is set, and I pray that we don't have time travel in this story.

OR, GRRM really likes the muppets and wanted a Statler and Waldorf who could make commentary on his story. Grumpy old Bloodraven and old beyond his years Bran will be those two dudes in the balcony.

24 minutes ago, Maester Vargo said:

I think Bran's ultimate role is defeating Bloodraven, whom I believe to be much more powerful and dangerous than what we have seen to date.  Bloodraven is trying to use Bran to supplement his own strength, but Bran will see that Bloodraven is the enemy at some point.

An interesting theory I've seen is that Bran is special in that he's the only character we've seen capable of warging people. The theory postulates that if he joins his body to the werewood net like Bloodraven has, this ability would be assimilated into it, allowing the COTF to enslave humankind. The only evidence of this is how numerous alien races with hive mind blended consciousness (werewood net) operate in the Thousand Worlds universe from GRRM's sci-fi writing, but it's an interesting parallel nonetheless.

On 2/1/2017 at 0:51 AM, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Honestly, I have been unsatisfied with many of the results I have read on this topic, and I am just wondering what people think. 

My personal opinion is that I have no idea.

Bran is a young boy approximately eleven years of age. As such his life experience and maturity level are equal to his age. When he has his visions and dreams some of them will be happy and others will be scary. He has on occasion prayed to the old gods, “Old gods, Bran prayed, if you hear me, don't send a dream tonight. Or if you do, make it a good dream. The gods made no answer.

In my opinion Bran has to stay at the cave long enough so he can be schooled by BR and the CotF. The first thing a new greenseer uses is:   The singers carved eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use … but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves."

Poor Bran has other problems. He has wolf dreams. He experiences what Summer experiences when he wears Summer’s skin. An example is that when Summer was wounded Bran felt it and the pain forced him out.

Bran knew but did not comprehend that Eddard, his lord father died. He knows about what happened to Robb & Greywind, but has not yet voiced it to Jojen or Meera.

Bran can’t leave the cave the way he came. Either someone gets him out or he spends the rest of his life there. Which way is Martin gonna take the story?

Dalla tells Jon:  "We free folk know things you kneelers have forgotten. Sometimes the short road is not the safest, Jon Snow. The Horned Lord once said that sorcery is a sword without a hilt. There is no safe way to grasp it."

Val later talks with Jon:   "Do you remember what my sister told you?" "Yes." A sword without a hilt, with no safe way to hold it. But Melisandre had the right of it. Even a sword without a hilt is better than an empty hand when foes are all around you.

The reason I included those to quotes is because that is what Bran is right now. A sword without a hilt. He lacks the ability to safely handle his gifts.

The books move slowly when it comes to the passage of time. The gifts the boy has been given could actually be a curse. He could very well be privy to what is to come and unable to do a damn thing except watch the series of unfortunate events unveil.

I would also mention the direwolves are not only connected to their warg. They are connected to each other and the other Starks. Case in point—Nymeria sniffing out Cat’s dead body.

If Bran survives and manages to leave the cave I think that in DoS Bran, at approximately the age of 15 will be the Lord, not the prince, of WF.

Most of the above is speculation and personal interpretation, because I like you have no idea where Martin is taking his story.

Archived