What is Bran's role in this story?

Lord of Raventree Hall

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2017 at 11:25 AM, Praetor Xyn said:

An interesting theory I've seen is that Bran is special in that he's the only character we've seen capable of warging people. The theory postulates that if he joins his body to the werewood net like Bloodraven has, this ability would be assimilated into it, allowing the COTF to enslave humankind. The only evidence of this is how numerous alien races with hive mind blended consciousness (werewood net) operate in the Thousand Worlds universe from GRRM's sci-fi writing, but it's an interesting parallel nonetheless.

Maybe he's not the 'only' one who can warg people.  How about if that's how the Other's control the dead?  Through the weirnet. They can't take control of the live bodies, but that's how they get control of the dead.  Just something I thought of now as I read your comment.  Might have to think this through a bit.  

What Bran does follows from what he learns from Bloodraven - and we can make a pretty good guess where BR will be focusing next.

Bloodraven is a greenseer of the Children of the Forest. They are no friends of winter; they hide from it - so he too will be looking for ways to combat the cold.

But more than that, BR is a Targ, and so there's a high chance he has that obsessive fascination with dragons - he won't be able to resist trying to skinchange the first dragon to come in range. Actually, he needs the dragons - what other weapons has he?

BR is ancient and frail, so I predict mental contact with a dragon will kill him.

All the above seems reasonably solid - it was never likely that BR would lead the fight against winter with Bran helping him. Bran is the hero here - the Last Hero many think - so Bran must fight his own battles.

The rest is speculation. I think Bloodraven might find a second life inside the dragon (paradise for a Targ!). I don't suppose dragons are anywhere near as controllable as Varamyr's wolf, but BR might ride along in its mind like this:

"Someone else was in the raven," he told Lord Brynden, once he had returned to his own skin. "Some girl. I felt her."

"A woman, of those who sing the song of earth," his teacher said. "Long dead, yet a part of her remains, just as a part of you would remain in Summer if your boy's flesh were to die upon the morrow. A shadow on the soul. She will not harm you."

So where does that leave Bran?

- He has learned from Bloodraven's attempt. He knows if there's a chance of it working.
- The dragon has had contact with a skinchanger. The second time is always easier.
- If anything of BR is left in the dragon's mind, it might help the dragon to trust Bran.

What else can he do? I think the choice is forced upon him.

Archived