The Rules Of Ice And Fire

Adam Targaryen

Okay so I was reading up on 4chan and the old "Rules of the Internet" meme/thingy (I'm hoping at least some of you have heard of this) and had a great idea: I decided to make a similar set of rules for ASOIAF/GOT. To clarify, the "Rules of the internet" are humoristical guidelines or rules, often filled with nonsense, sarcasm and references that only a few people of a certain Internet subculture would understand(You may, for example, have heard about "Rule 34", which is possibly the most famous one). If you'd like to know more about the "Rules of the internet" I suggest looking them up on knowyourmeme.com. Anyways, I on my hand have based my set of rules on "Game of Thrones", "A Song Of Ice And Fire", the fandom as a whole and various internet groups and forums (especially asoiaf.westeros.org). Please read them if you're interested, add some more if you want to and feel free to spread this around the web

THE RULES OF ICE AND FIRE

1. You do not talk about asoiaf.westeros.org

2. You do NOT talk about asoiaf.westeros.org

3. Valar Morghulis

4. R+L=J

5. Everyone has to love Tyrion and everything about him

6. D&D are idiots and you could write the show better yourself. No exceptions.

7. If you are going to say what you think in a post/comment, you are legally obliged to include one of the following phrases: ”Personally", ”IMHO”,  ”I completely respect your view on the subject, however...”, "This is just my opinion...”,

8. There are no real rules about posting

9. There are no real rules about moderation either - enjoy your ban

10. If you enjoy what GoT became after season four - DON'T

11. All your carefully picked arguments can easily be ignored

12. Anything you say can and will be used against you

13. Anything you say can be twisted into something else - fixed

14. Do not argue with trolls - it means that they win

15. You can never be sure of what’s trolling and what’s tinfoil

16. Trolling can become tinfoil and tinfoil can become trolling

17. Tinfoil can easily become canonized at any given time, depending on how much David Benioff’s had to drink the night before

18. The more honourable and just a character is, the bigger the chances he/she’ll get killed off

19. The North Remembers.

20. The web is dark, and full of spoilers

21. You must despise the showplebs.

22. Always rely on abbreviations when posting. It takes way too much time and effort to write ”Iron Throne”.

23. If you in any way touch on the difference between men and women in Planetos, the entire thread will explode into a huge discussion on equality, even though everyone on the forum have the same opinions

24. The existence of an extensive and infected debate in the comment section below confirms this rule.

25. It’s not actually called Planetos, you dumb showpleb

26. Everyone who is ”Freerider” or below is a noob.

27. If someone has eight dots and a stupid selfmade title on asoiaf, then you are not worthy and should kneel before you adress them.

28. Also, they have no life whatsoever.

29. If there is a trivial detail about the way a character spits, there's a theory on it

30. Every theory has already been discussed a thousand times before and your comment will add nothing 

31. EXPLICIT PROOF IN THE TEXT or GTFO - The choice is yours

32. Everyone is a secret Targaryen

33. Lurk Moar.

34. If two characters exist, there is adult fanfiction about them

35. If two characters exist and there isn’t any adult fanfiction about them, there will be soon

36. If there are five thousand people drooling over a shipping, there are twenty thousand people who will be more than content to waste four hours of their spare time bashing said shipping and explaining everything that’s wrong with it everytime it comes up

37. All the Starks are dead.

38. Jeyne Poole is fine too

39. No matter how much you may despise a fellow fan, remember that we are all members of a master-race and superior to all other fandoms.

40. You know nothing

41. Neither does anyone else

42. Literally every possible way that ASOIAF could end would be too cliché and will therefore not happen

43. The entire world of ASOIAF is based on GRRM’s childhood H.P. Lovecraft-fetish, and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

44. ”General” sucks today.

45. No, noone has ever seen the fucking pilot. Only the freezeframe of the Mad King that’s been passed around the web like an old joint and a still of Ian McNeice as Illyrio.

46. No, noone anywhere has a link to that original quote by GRRM

47. The pool is always closed

48. Incest is only wrong and disgusting when Lannisters do it

49. Stannis Baratheon is the one true king of Westeros. You will bend the knee or he’ll destroy you.

50. Harrenhal was an inside job, dragonfire can’t melt stone towers!

51. George R. R. Martin is NOT YOUR BITCH!!!

52. Daenerys*

53. Rhaegar*

54. Rhaella*

55. Aerys*

56. Jaehaerys*

57. Targaryen*

58. ”Winds” will definitely be out this year. Like every year.

59. The Others take D&D

60. If Tyrion dies, we riot.

61. It’s totally not a blog, trust him.

62. Varys is a merman. For real this time.

1 hour ago, Adam Targaryen said:

THE RULES OF ICE AND FIRE

5. Everyone has to love Tyrion and everything about him

Ah, meh. 

6. D&D are idiots and you could write the show better yourself. No exceptions.

Me likes this rule!

10. If you enjoy what GoT became after season four - DON'T

I could phrase that differently, and I'd say "after what GoT became after s 2". :P

14. Do not argue with trolls - it means that they win

:thumbsup:

26. Everyone who is ”Freerider” or below is a noob.

Nope. Anyone who joined the board after 2005 is a n00b, and always will be. Or so I'm told.

32. Everyone is a secret Targaryen

:lol:

39. No matter how much you may despise a fellow fan, remember that we are all members of a master-race and superior to all other fandoms.

40. You know nothing

41. Neither does anyone else

Gold.

42. Literally every possible way that ASOIAF could end would be too cliché and will therefore not happen

:lmao:

48. Incest is only wrong and disgusting when Lannisters do it

Nope, incest is always wrong and disgusting! Especially when it's meant to keep the bloodline pure! :ack:

49. Stannis Baratheon is the one true king of Westeros. You will bend the knee or he’ll destroy you.

Damn fucking straight! :P

51. George R. R. Martin is NOT YOUR BITCH!!!

Damn fucking straight times 1,000,000!

58. ”Winds” will definitely be out this year. Like every year

Only this year it will! 

59. The Others take D&D

A gentle fate imo. 

60. If Tyrion dies, we riot.

I was gonna say "yay!". :o

Since i lack sense of humor, I will respond to these.

1-3: A bit too cliché for my taste, but ok

4. Its more like that it is one of the few theories people seems to be in general positive agreement about.

5. Tyrion took a hard blow in last book and therefore this rule has ceased to apply. This was more true before 2010.

6 & 10: First part definitely true. Second part not so much. Still, the point is that they have badly treated the books and reminds more of the filmatization of The hobbit than The lord of the rings. As for season 4, well, not adapting the story and make up random shit of course won´t please the hardcore fans.

7: Haha, while there are lot of intelligent people around here there are also complete morons with soft skin and an overvaluation of their own ideas. Those people should be put down harder with "clearer" language, but admins tend to look harshly on that, which forces people to sprout random bullshit feel-good phrases like those ones.

8-9: Yeah, not only are rules, banning and post removal made up on the spot it is rarely based on any kind of written law. The forum moderators are authoritarians and sometimes fail to understand that, in any debate - all points should be allowed to be presented regardless of the feelings such an opinion might have on a sensitive individual. If that is not acceptable then the debate should not be allowed to be held in the first place (Great example: rape apologism - if you refuse to allow it, you really can´t have a discussion about wherether character x is a horrible rapist or not or if character y is a victim or not. Its intellecually dishonest to claim said discussion to be fair and balanced).

11-17: Meh, this is true in any discussion.

18: Well, thats what happens in real life if you refuse to cooperate with people you differentiate from. If you work with the "bad guys" you get more power/influence and the more power/influence you have the easier time you will have to stop problems and threats. That a character like Daredevil is still alive is because the writers "cheat" in his favor.

19: Of course they do, but one could hope that they also learn that next time it might be a bad idea to break arguments you have agreed on. Its hard for them to have a moral highground if their perspective is "We have done no wrong".

20: Then don´t surf the web if you don´t want to be spoiled, stupid! In general, if two persons, regardless of on or offline, talk about something spoilerish, a third person can´t demand that they should shut up. Its none of that persons business what they talk about and if said person want to remain unspoiled then that person has the responsibility to leave. If they do end the discussion, they are doing him a favor.

21: Well, they ARE (or rather did in the past) insisting that their theories are as good as mine yet somehow refuses to be spoiled when I try to give arguments and explain why I am right. If you want me to shut up about what happens later in the book then maybe you shouldn´t question my authority, dumbass.

22: So what? Grammars are unnecessary if people understand what I mean. To care about the language is to lack a point about the context and the debate and is mostly often used to shut down ideas you are too weak or too stupid to rebut.

23-25: Don´t see the problem. If you say stupid shit like "Any man must be stronger than Brienne because he is a MAN" then maybe you should be surprised if people see you as the neanderthal you are and call you out on it.

26-28: Much less true today. Partly, many people have created new accounts so you could have an experienced poster on few posts. In addition, this model doesn´t take considerance to someone first lurking and then creating an account later. Also, that people spend their time online still constitutes "life".

29-30: Yup, some people tend to make up the strangest theories about everything. As for creativity, well all posters have different motives for posting. Not all of them aim for groundbreaking discoveries. In fact, too many make up bullshit ideas out of thin air as it is.

31: Explicit proof is a bit harsh, but it would be nice if people actually tried to apply some logic instead of "I think this because it feels right for me and if you don´t understand it or agree then you havn´t analyzed the theory/character/whatever enought". Short-tip - there are no objective reads about a character or a theory. And your percieved knowledge in said theory/character doesn´t mean squat. Deal with it.

32: See the comment above

33: Only said by arrogant elitist assholes (which this forum has too many off). The social expectations of an online community is not something that said arrogant elitist asshole is in a position to lecture about and it is often said to silence debate rather than improving it.

34-35: I still think rule 34 is a myth. There are simply too much to cover, even for the internet.

36: See the response to no 23-25

37: Thats pessimistic even for me

38: I hardly think Jeyne Poole would define herself as "fine"

39: Just because some people knoe some theories doesn´t mean that they are knowledgeable people. I am not a big fan on group-loyalty, sorry.

40-41: Since my world is defined by my senses and my knowledge, I know all that is relevant to know. But even if more information enter my datapool, there is no denying that my knowledge of the series supercedes everyone elses, but for a very, very small group. That makes me at least like someone who could run 100 meters on 10 seconds exactly. I might not be fastest in the world, but I am faster than most.

42: I think we need to wait and see for that one, but it is certainly a opinion some fans try to push far, far too hard.

43: Its not a bug, its a feature

44: Well, obviously most of the revolutionary ideas and thought-provoking things have already been written. But that is not a problem. One thing the general lacks today is also elitist posters who somehow believed that they should get said respect you outlined in no 27, yet (not surprisingly) failed in presenting a strong argument, instead living on self-entitelment. Again, if a case is "I know this because I am a self-proclaimed expert on this" you pretty much know that such a person suck. Hard.

45 & 47: Who cares

46: Not my impression. Usually laterish, a link is provided (or said person is an arrogant elitist asshole who refuses to give any proof or reasons beyond the own viewpoint. See the response to no 31, 33 and 44 for more details.

48: I don´t think incest in general is a thing this forum has a problem with. at least no in comparison to what some other character do.

49: Pfft. Only if you acknowledge the Baratheon claim, which is weak as fuck. Besides, those people are much less common on these forum nowadays.

50: Strange theory, but seem to recall a meme about it.

51: GRRM has as I see it taken a contract to finish a book serie. A contract he have had a hard time to deliver on. While I certainly can´t sue him that still needs to be said that any sensible relation mean that you keep your obligation regardless. My friends doesn´t have to hang out with me, but if they fail to do so they won´t stay my friends forever, my girlfriend doesn´t have to have sex with me, but if she don´t I will sooner or later break up, and so on. In short, the fans have given GRRM a platform and money over the years and there is an implied consent that he will finish the series. While I don´t support bad behaviour I think GRRM only have himself to blame in this. He might not be my bitch, but I don´t owe him to keep my criticism silent either.

52-57: Yes, that are the correct spellings. Congratulations.

58: First, it is very likely that it will be out 2017. Secondly, why are people even asking GRRM this question. He has NO CLUE about when he is finished or not and might very well be the least suitable person on earth to ask that question to. There are models and calculations for this sort of thing.

59: They might be shitty writer hacks, but they are not at fault that the show will finish before the books. Who is? See the response to no 51 for more details.

60: Tyrion I think most will be ok with. I think if Arya dies however, we will have an explosion. See the response to no 5 for more details.

61: Trusting is not one of my strong points.

62: I thought this theory had been shot to pieces many ties over.

Now, where is the party, B).

22 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

The Home>Miscellaneous>General Chatter didn't give you the answer that you seek?

No, it didn't. They said it was too focused on ASOIAF for General Chatter or something and suggested General (ASOIAF) or Forum Games, so here I am. BTW I have reported that first one 'cuz I wanted to remove it and start anew here instead

22 hours ago, Seams said:

Excellent. Bravo.

22 hours ago, the Other Wolf said:

HEAR, HEAR to 39 and a couple others! 

21 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

:bowdown::lmao::cheers:

Gods alive this is so true. 

21 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

@Adam Targaryen, this is a lot more fun than any of us should be having.   Well done and bravo!  

16 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

I love them all, except the show one should be those who like it after mid-season 2... (and Tyrion is okay, meh [of course only in my opinion])

Thankyou everyone!! Means a lot to hear that someone appreciates it :)

20 hours ago, Protagoras said:

11-17: Meh, this is true in any discussion.

Well, yeah. 11-16 are pretty much just taken from the original Rules Of The Internet and could, as you say, be true in any discussion

[accidentally deleted the whole thing but can't delete the quote itself, sorry]

38: I hardly think Jeyne Poole would define herself as "fine"

37 and 38 are references to the "A cat is fine too" meme

50: Strange theory, but seem to recall a meme about it.

A reference to "jetfuel can't melt steel beams"

Might have forgotten something important but whatever.

16 minutes ago, Adam Targaryen said:

No, it didn't. They said it was too focused on ASOIAF for General Chatter or something and suggested General (ASOIAF) or Forum Games, so here I am. BTW I have reported that first one 'cuz I wanted to remove it and start anew here instead

the reason I linked the chatter thread was to show the different mind sets between the various communities on this site

Archived