February Reading 2017

Garett Hornwood

2 hours ago, Guinevere Seaworth said:

Babylon's Ashes was another fine instalment to The Expanse series.  I admit I am not sure where the series is heading next in terms of plot as it seems the plot arc of the last three books came to a conclusion.

I'm guessing that Persepolis Rising will be focusing on a plotline out in the new worlds beyond the gates. One possibility would be to try to tie up the plotline with the rogue Martians.

The Hanging Tree by Ben Aaaronovich was a great read, I enjoyed it a lot. I always love returning to this series.

Anna Dressed in Black by Kendare Blake was meh. It started out a bit interesting, then I stopped caring about it.

I'm currently reading The Just City by Jo Walton. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

On 2/24/2017 at 2:06 PM, beniowa said:

Finished Too Like the Lightning.  It's easy to see why this is getting so much praise.  It's a very impressive debut novel with incredible world-building and chock-full of philosophy, political science, and sociology.  That being said I did feel it was a little full of itself.  That the author was trying a little too hard to show her knowledge and cleverness.  It's an odd book, which worked for me for the most part so I will be checking out the next one. 

On 2/25/2017 at 7:05 AM, unJon said:

I also just finished Too Like The Lightning. My impression was similar to yours. There was a lot to like. Interesting world and characters. Very interesting narrative devices. Some good twists. Wrapped in a detetictve story. Still somewhat a bit too full of itself. Also I thought it was just a two book series but it looks like a trilogy? Oh well, next book out in March and final book in December so all good. I have pre ordered book 2. 

Thanks!  I think I'll be waiting to see what people think about the rest of the series before I buy this one.

13 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I believe it's 4 books split into two related sequences. I think she was talkibg about it on her blog.

That makes more sense and makes me happy I will get a conclusion in a few weeks. 

I just finished Ansible Season 1 and 2 by Stant Litore. Highly recommend. I stumbled on these on Amazon and it's the type of thing that I would usually not by. Sort of self published, SF that is a collection of short stories that tie together into a larger story. It is actually a great "Dying Earth" type story about humans who have the "psi" ability to travel to distant planets by transferring their minds. But it's really so much better than that with some really good philosophy, religion and horror genre elements. It's cheap too on Amazon!

Finished Sojourn. Has all the weaknesses of the previous two books (terrible prose, nakedly RPG-derived plot), with some entirely new ones - there's a Hobbit scene ripoff, where Drizzt talks to a dragon like Bilbo talks to Smaug, while naming a character Roddy McGristle might take the cake as the most hilariously awful villain name in fantasy. This book's also weaker than its predecessors in that the true strength of the trilogy is in portraying the screwed-up world of Menzoberranzan - once Drizzt moves away from that, especially once he arrives on the surface, the interest fades. Also, magically in-built principles or not, how on earth would Drizzt have a conception of things like a lawful trial, or (from the first book) the notion that sex is related to love? I'd almost be inclined to regard the trilogy as unreliable narration, were it not for the fact that that would be ascribing a level of sophistication way beyond what the books actually are.

Next up is The Rabbit Back Literature Society, by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen.

'

I do not even remember if I ever read the two other volumes of the Drizzt trilogy. I read the Crystal Shard trilogy and "Homeland" about 20 years ago but I think I stopped being sick of the RPG style and not having easy/free/cheap access to the books.

I am about one third into Williams' "Augustus". This is very well done (epistolary style, often similar to actual sources of that time) and interesting (my rudimentary knowledge from Latin and history class of the power struggle after the assassination of C. Julius Caesar has considerably faded) but not a quick read for me.

Finished Uprooted by Naomi Novik, a nice fairytale.   

Also, read The Heart of What was Lost by Tad Williams.   Fleshes out the Norn culture and introduces some characters that I assume will be important in the next trilogy.

Also, read The Churn novella.  Would have been better to have read it before Nemesis Games, but liked the background info. 

Currently reading The Risen: A Spartacus Novel by David Anthony Durham.

Last weekend (Friday more than Saturday), I read In Search of the Golden Rainbow by Charles Armistead, it short young adult book about a nine month period in Armistead's life in which he joined his father digging for a lost gold mine.  At only 96 pages, it was really short and I really wish it had been more but Armistead was writing this almost 40 years after it happened and he couldn't agree with his father on some stories he would have liked to included.

I'm still plugging away at The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (Volume II), no idea about why it's taking me longer than Volume I but it's getting pretty depressing because I'm enjoying it.  With around 150 pages left, I will definitely finish early in March but still I thought I would have gotten it finished.

Archived