Characters and their ASOIAF History Counterparts

dsug

My best example would be Queen Cersei Lannister = King Maegor the Cruel

I  know everyone goes on about Cersei and the Mad King, but a lot of Cersei's actions and traits mirror Maegor. Neither of them were actually supposed to be rulers, but once they got that power, they took out anyone who disagreed with them. Both of them had conflicts with the Faith of the Seven and the High Septon and were put on trial, and both dramatically burned a Sept in King's Landing. Both have killed members of their own family who got in their way (Cersei's uncle Kevan and Maegor's nephew Aegon). Both of them used torture as a method of punishment, and both of them have killed Grand Maesters. Both of them were devastated by the deaths of their mothers, and had difficult relationships with their siblngs. Their romantic relationships were the cause of great controversy. Both had a penchant for extreme violence, and enjoyed hurting their enemies. 

So yeah, that's mine. What are some other parallels? And please stick to the HBO versions.

• 3 weeks later...

I see some similarities between Tytos Lannister and Robert Baratheon. I would not say that the comparisons are perfect, but there are definitely some parallels. For example, both were considered to be fairly weak rulers and both were never the same after losing the woman they loved (Tytos losing his wife and Robert losing Lyanna Stark, although many believe Robert did not actually love Lyanna). Also, many of the memorable events that occurred while they were in power were the mainly the result of the work of others (like the fall of House Reyne of Castamere orchestrated by Tywin Lannister and the many years of peace held together mainly by Robert's Small Council).

Archived