Rank your 2017 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

Big Little Lies is really good. It's only two episodes in here in the UK, but I think it's misleading and unfair to say it's a show about "wealthy white women complaining about their lives and kids" as though that somehow negates the very serious underlying issue it's dealing with

Legion S1

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S2 (started airing in 2016 but ended 2017, plus I only started watching this year, so I'll include it on the list)

Big Little Lies

The Last Kingdom S2

A Series of Unfortunate Events S1

Taboo S1

Santa Clarita Diet S1

Iron Fist S1

Bumping up TLK. Adding Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. The second season was brilliant throughout, and the finale was perfect. Loved it so much. Hopefully it gets an Emmy nod this year, it's so well written, and Rachel Bloom and Donna Lynne Champlain are wonderful

Legion - One of my favorites this year, mini binging 2 episodes at a time now

Big Little Lies - Pretty damn well acted and written show. Deals with a lot of deeply personal issues and has you caring about the characters pretty quickly, only one episode left already!

Taken - Sort of a prequel to the movies. I have only seen a couple episodes and I have liked it so far

Taboo - Had really high expectations, by the end of S1 I was ready for it to be done

24 Legacy - I like the format and the people so for me this has been a good show

Designated Survivor - Much like 24 I like the actors and subject matter. Not sure that this could survive more than 2-3 seasons though

Just a few updates from me...I keep thinking I must be missing some shows but I spent the earlier part of this year getting caught up on some things from last year like The Man in the High Castle, which continued to be just OK, but as that's a 2016 show I'll leave it off this list. But for this year, Baskets was once again brilliant but the big surprise is Feud which has been absolutely stellar.

1. The Young Pope
2. Feud
3. The Expanse
4. Baskets
5. Black Sails
6. Girls
7. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
8. The Magicians
9. The Mick
10. Sherlock
11. Taboo

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:12 PM, Astromech said:

Being so early in the year, everything is bound to change and most shows on my list are still in the middle of their season.

The Young Pope (I was worried it would be another derivative anti-Catholic series, but it turned out being extremely clever, humorous and more importanty, original)

The Missing s2 (2017 airing in the US )

Black Sails s4(this will probably remain a top 5 for me)

Legion (loving it so far, thanks Noah Hawley!)

The Expanse s2 (kick ass sci fi)

Big Little Lies (lovely train wreck, guilty pleasure)

Trapped (US 2017)

The Magicians (forgot to add this one, not surprising since it's a fairly forgettable series)

Taboo (this one was a big disappointment, unless you can't get enough of Tom Hardy stare downs and Four Non Blondes hats)

Most anticipated premiers: The Leftovers s3, Fargo s3, The Iron Fist

Updating since many of the shows on the list have wrapped or will shortly.

Black Sails (Fantastic final season and series finale, Capt. Flint is up there with Omar Little and Al Swearengen as best tv character ever. The other characters were all amazing as well)

Legion (what a fun trip)

The Young Pope

Big Little Lies (biggest pleasant surprise so far for 2017)

The Missing (better than season 1 overall)

The Expanse (still solidly entertaining)

Trapped (atmospheric Icelandic mystery. entertaining)

The Magicians (haven't watched the past few episodes. not sure if I will. the characters finally grated on me enough to lose interest)

Taboo (will probably remain my biggest disappointment for 2017)

A few episodes into s2 of Hap and Leonard and thoroughly entertained by the story and Purefoy and Williams as the leads.

Looking forward to American Gods, Fargo, The Leftovers and Gomorrah all premiering this month.

Updated my list. New entries are in red.

1. Legion S1 (Despite a disappointingly meh finale, the rest of the season was jaw-dropping.)
  2. The Good Place S1
  3. Black Mirror S3
  4. The Young Pope
  5. Big Little Lies S1 (Surprisingly compelling storytelling. Excellent performances and directing, too.)
  6. The Walking Dead S7.2 (Not as strong as the first half of the season, but the Richonne episode and Eugene's arc were great.)
  7. Star Wars Rebels S3 (Not as great as last season, but the Darksaber and Kenobi v Maul episodes alone secure this a spot in my Top 10.)
  8. The Crown S1 
  9. Love S2 
  10. Sherlock S4 
  11. Sneaky Pete S1
  12. Emerald City S1
  13. Vikings S4.2
  14. Man in the High Castle S2
  15. Iron FIst S1 

15 hours ago, Astromech said:

Taboo (will probably remain my biggest disappointment for 2017)

we can only hope - although i neve finished SS-GB probably because it was reminding me of Taboo

I'm maybe at a place where I have enough new 2017 shows watched to be able to rank them:

The good

1) Black Sails S4: Halfway through this season and already its gripped me in a way that GoT never has. It jumped straight back into the action and one or two of the scenes are harrowingly brilliant, scenes I'll remember for a very long time.

2) Legion: An unexpected surprise, though should have guessed it was going to be this good from Noah Hawleys involvement. I'm not convinced on Dan Stevens casting but its such a trippy, visual show that I love it a lot.

3) Samurai Jack: Have to say I never really got into the first 4 seasons, and havent really watched them. But For some reason I decided to jump into the latest season and WOW. Its beautiful. The second and third episodes are animation on a level I'd never expect, and the story has become far deeper and more interesting than I'd expected.

4) Love: By the end of the season I was a little 'meh' about where it went but its still a fantastic study of two very interesting, messed up people.

5) Netflix Live: Ok it was an April fools day prank, but its possibly one of my favourite things ever

The bad

1) Iron Fist: I havent got far enough into it to really think its trash but it was so incompetent in so many scenes that I gave up
2) Taboo: Too much Hardy gurning
3) Lethal Weapon: This is harsh to call it bad because actually its a return to the brainless 80's style copshow.. but the moustache and hair thing bothers me too much.

I still want to watch Americans S4 (if it ever hits amazon prime) and Expanse.

Shows I've discovered this year that are not from 2017:

1) Crazy Ex Girlfriend: Wow, wasn't expecting this to be so good! That they can do 2-3 excellent musical numbers every episodes shows the quality of it. Something me and my other half can both enjoy.
2) Expanse: Took a while to grip me, but once it revealed its main story I was hooked.
3) Bojak Horseman: Was always pretty meh for me, until I started to binge watch it, now I'm in love with the characters

Just shuffling some shows, based on their completion. Also, new entry Designated Survivor. Season 3 of iZombie will be the next entry.

1. Black Sails
  2. The Expanse
  3. Legion
  4. Agents of SHIELD
  5. Grimm
  6. Star Wars Rebels
  7. Homeland - this one had a stronger 2nd half, so it's moved up on my list
  8. Sherlock
  9. Elementary
  10. Iron Fist
  11. The Walking Dead
  12. The Blacklist
  13. Designated Survivor
  14. Arrow
  15. Supergirl
  16. The Flash
  17. The Big Bang Theory
  18. Taboo

1. Big Little Lies

2. The Missing (season 2)

3. Taboo

Big Little Lies was great. I was trying to think of the best standout performance by the cast and I just couldn't, they all nailed it...even the kids. I didn't think I would be into it as much as I was but I watched all 7 episodes in like 2 days. Really compelling stuff.

Also nice to see a certain Deadwood character as the psychologist. 

On 4/6/2017 at 9:28 AM, Mark Antony said:

Last Kingdom season two and The Americans season five are both killing it. 

I seriously doubt that anything will be able to top The Americans this year in my book. Matthew Rhys is on fire. The last true antihero on TV (well, if we don't count Daredevil :D )

6 hours ago, Risto said:

I seriously doubt that anything will be able to top The Americans this year in my book. Matthew Rhys is on fire. The last true antihero on TV (well, if we don't count Daredevil :D )

Matthew Rhys is the beat lead on television. Not even close to me anymore. 

5 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Matthew Rhys is the beat lead on television. Not even close to me anymore. 

There is something so wonderful in the way he brings Phillip to life. Yes, the writing is phenomenal but the way he navigates through many different layers of Phillip's life, so beautifully bringing each to life in a very naturalistic, almost too-easy-to-believe kind of way truly deserves every praise. Many roles these days are in grand scenes or unique mimicry, but separates Rhys is the perfection that exudes from the writing that allows simple moments to breathe. Hats off to that amazing Welch manwho is acting a Russian who is pretending to be American :D 

Legion S1

Big Little Lies

13 Reasons Why

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S2 (started airing in 2016 but ended 2017, plus I only started watching this year, so I'll include it on the list)

i Zombie S3 

The Last Kingdom S2

[insert big gap here. Huge drop in quality between the top of my list and bottom]

A Series of Unfortunate Events S1

Riverdale S1

Taboo S1

Santa Clarita Diet S1

Iron Fist S1

A lot of these shows aren't finished yet or have just started but I like to rank as I go otherwise I tend to lose track, and I find it interesting to keep track of if/when a series declines. 
I've found it difficult ranking comedies alongside dramas but don't really want to separate them into two lists, despite how different they are.

1. The Americans Season 5
  2. Expanse Season 2
  3. Big Little Lies
  4. Sherlock Season 4
  5. The Good Fight Season 1
  6. Homeland Season 6
  7. Voltron Season 2
  8. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  9. Iron Fist Season 1
  10. Greys anatomy Season 13

COMING THE NEXT WEEKS: The White Princess, Legion, Sense8

OK, Big Little Lies... I am thoroughly impressed. Especially with Nicole Kidman. She is amazing actress, don't get me wrong, she has been proving that time and time again, but this role (on the medium we don't see her often) was totally owned by her. The casting was pretty much perfect, but every time Celeste hits the screen, it is just a joy to watch her. With Keri Russel from "The Americans" and Shohreh Aghdashloo from "Expanse", she is certainly on top of the actress' list for 2017. This TV season was so far very meh, but the things that work, work perfectly. I am really looking forward to some old shows to come back and blow me away :D 

Archived