Rank your 2017 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

On 11/29/2017 at 5:33 AM, Annara Snow said:

The idea is to rank all shows you've watched that aired during 2017, not to make a top 10.

The real idea is to quantify how much time we waste on TV ;) And of course, judge each other's personal preferences :D 

57 minutes ago, Risto said:

The real idea is to quantify how much time we waste on TV ;) 

Not really, since it's just about shows/seasons that aired in 2017, rather than all TV shows we've watched during this year. Otherwise my list would be much longer. I've wasted a lot more of my time on TV than my list suggests. :D

On 11/28/2017 at 10:33 PM, Annara Snow said:

The idea is to rank all shows you've watched that aired during 2017, not to make a top 10.

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure everything on Martinis list aired in 2017. He just didn’t put the specific seasons in his post. 

9 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure everything on Martinis list aired in 2017. He just didn’t put the specific seasons in his post. 

I never said it didn't, but it seems he did a top 10, since he has a bunch of 'honorable mentions', so it seems that he has seen a lot more than 10 shows that aired in 2017.

The Last Kingdom s2

Stranger Things s2

Better Call Saul s3

Mr Mercedes

Narcos s3

Fortitude s2

Game of Thrones s7 - first season I enjoyed since S3

Fargo s3

Godless

Legion

The Americans s5

Homeland s6

Ozark

Mr Robot s3

The Expanse s2

American Gods

Chapo

Sherlock

Yet to finish Black Sails and The Leftovers. Probably won't finish Leftovers as I found it tedious.

Update v5.0 for my 2017 watch list.  I've also rearranged the order for some shows since my last update. New entries are in red.

1. Rick & Morty S1-3 (I had to move this up to my number one spot since my last post. I'm still watching this show and talking about it. I know it's just a goofy pop culture reference laden cartoon, but as I looked back on my review of GOTS7, I realized one show has provided me with more joy and entertainment than GOT, and that's Rick & Morty.) 
  2. Game of Thrones S7
  3. Legion S1
  4. The Good Place S1
  5. The Young Pope
  6. American Gods
  7. Fargo S3
  8. Leftovers S3
  9. Big Little Lies S1
  10. Stranger Things 2 (Not as original and impactful as S1, but still a very worthy sequel. I also really liked all the new characters and Dustin curses a lot more. So it's a win.)
  11. Black Mirror S3
  12. The Punisher S1 (The action was not as intense or memorable as the Punisher scenes in Daredevil S2, but the character development in this season was just outstanding. As a legit comic fan who used to buy three Punisher titles every month, I'm very pleased with this portrayal of Frank Castle and the cast of characters that orbit him. They also greatly improved on the Microchip character from the comics.)
  13. New Girl S6
  14. The Handmaid’s Tale
  15. American Vandal S1 (A hilarious and surprisingly emotional satire of both high school and reality-TV style investigative journalism.)
  16. Ozark S1
  17. Master of None S2
  18. Star Wars Rebels S3 
  19. The Crown S1 
  20. GLOW S1
  21. Defiant Ones
  22. Peaky Blinders S3
  23. Defenders S1
  24. Archer Dreamland S8
  25. There’s…Johnny! S1 (This Hulu show, co-created by Paul Reiser, is uneven and a bit hokey in places, but it's like a decent network sit-com only with more realistic dialogue. Plus I'm a big Johnny Carson fan, so the nostalgia factor is high and using clips of the Tonight show in each episode helps a lot, too. Plus at only 7 episodes it's over before it can become boring.)
  26. The Walking Dead S7.2
  27. Agents of SHIELD S4
  28. Better Call Saul S3
  29. Brockmire S1
  30. The Last Kingdom S2
  31. Last Man On Earth S3
  32. Silicon Valley S4
  33. Catastrophe S3
  34. Brooklyn Nine-Nine S4
  35. Love S2 
  36. VEEP S6
  37. Son of Zorn S1
  38. The Tick (2017) S1.1 (I'm a big fan of The Tick Fox cartoon and live action show. So I was excited when Amazon picked this up. I'm not a huge fan of Peter Serafinowicz as the title character though, but he's slowly growing on me. The first half of the season on Amazon is serialized and more about Arthur, and I dig it. Looking forward to seeing how the season ends.)
  39. Crashing (HBO) S1
  40. Sherlock S4 
  41. Friends From College
  42. Sneaky Pete S1
  43. Powerless S1
  44. Emerald City S1
  45. OITNB S5 (I'm a big fan of this show, so it's very disappointing to have to place it this low on my list. In fact, if it weren't for the Frieda & Red flashback episodes I might've put this in second to last place--there's just no way I'll sit through a complete season of anything worse than Iron Fist S1. This season of OITNB got so much wrong from terrible pacing, to unlikable new characters, to stretching the plot past suspension of disbelief, to destroying a lot of the empathy the writers developed for existing characters over four seasons by making them behave in cruel, bizarre, and sick ways.)
  46. Ballers S2
  47. Vikings S4.2
  48. Rubicon S1
  49. Man in the High Castle S2
  50. Iron Fist S1 

An updated list:

1. BoJack Horseman S4
  2. The Handmaid’s Tale S1
  3. Black Mirror S3
  4. The Expanse S2
  5. American Gods S1
  6. Orphan Black S5
  7. Godless S1
  8. Stranger Things S2
  9. Mindhunter S1
  10. The Americans S5
  11. Better Call Saul S3
  12. Narcos S3
  13. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S3
  14. Fargo S3
  15. Orange Is The New Black S4
  16. House Of Cards S5
  17. A Series Of Unfortunate Events S1
  18. Game Of Thrones S7
  19. The Defenders S1

Added Godless, Stranger Things, Mindhunter and Narcos. All good but not quite good enough to break into my top 6.

BoJack is the runaway leader for me. S4 was something special. I've watched it through twice and actually appreciated just how great it is even more so 2nd time round.

2-6 are all quite interchangeable. All excellent and could be placed in any order really. The same possibly goes for 7-11. My positivity departs between 13 and 14. Although Fargo S3 had some great moments and enjoyable elements, it was way too messy and a disappointment after the wonders of S2, which would have topped my list comfortably that year.

I also finally got round to watching Happy Valley S2, which was excellent if not quite on the same level as S1. I've not seen it mentioned on the forum at all but it is an outstanding show set in the town I grew up in. It's available on Netflix UK and I very very highly recommend it! Matthew "Neville Longbottom" Lewis has an incredibly creepy role in S2 that he pulls off quite well.

1. Gomorrah- s2

2. Big Little Lies

3. Curb Your Enthusiasm- s9

4. Stranger Things- s2

5. Mindhunter

6. The Missing- s2

7. Vice Principals- s2

8. The Punisher

9. Fargo-s3

10. Better Call Saul- s3

11. GoT

12. Taboo

The Punisher had its moments but overall it was kind of disappointing.

Ok my list would probably be.. and wow theres been a lot of shows this year:|

1) Leftovers - Managed to be excellent for 3 full seasons. Amazing send off.
2) The Americans S5
3) Legion
4) Crazy Ex Girlfriend
5) Preacher
6) WestWorld
7) The Crown
8) Rick and Morty
9) Narcos
10) American Gods

That top ten are all good shows, I'd watch any of them right now if I could.

And here is my bottom ten shows:

1) Game of Thrones - Just a total clusterfuck this year, epic in its awfulness. 
2) Iron Fist
3) House of Cards S5
4) Mr Robot 
5) Walking Dead
6) 13 Reasons why
7) Man in the High Castle
8) Inhumans
9) Girl Boss
10) Big Mouth

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Season 3

Orphan Black Season 5 

the Americans S5 

Big Little Lies 

The Expanse S2

Stranger Things Season 2 - good, didn’t enjoy as much as S1 though.

Sense8 S2

The Handmaid's Tale S1 

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S2

American Gods S1

GLOW S1

Catastrophe S3

Legion S1

Sneaky Pete S1

Master of None S2

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S3

Howards End

The Last Kingdom S2

The Defenders

13 Reasons Why

Dear White People

I, Zombie S3

Fargo S3  

Orange is the New Black S5 

Hot Girls Wanted, Turned On

I Love Dick

House of Cards S5 

GOT S7 

[insert big gap here. Huge drop in quality between the top of my list and bottom]

A Series of Unfortunate Events S1

Taboo S1

Iron Fist S1

DNF - Punisher, Santa Clarita Diet

Updates for The Punisher and a couple of shows that have finished their 2017 run, added shows in bold:

1. BoJack Horseman 
  2. The Handmaid’s Tale
  3. Big Little Lies
  4. The Good Place
  5. Agents of SHIELD
  6. American Gods
  7. The Americans
  8. The Punisher - I really enjoyed it - it's the best Marvel Netflix has been in a while, since season 1 of Daredevil and Jessica Jones (and half of Daredevil season 2). The story was nothing special, but the atmosphere and characterization (especially Frank himself, but Micro was also great) was the best since Jessica Jones, and it had a strong theme of war trauma, which was reflected in every character. There were so many ways a show about the Punisher could have gone wrong, but they avoided them and hit just the right note of being true to the character of Frank Castle and exploring him without glamorizing or celebrating his actions.
  9. The Last Kingdom
  10. Legion
  11. Broadchurch
  12. The Gifted - I certainly like it better than the X-Men movies lately. Full judgment on the series is reserved because it hasn't completed season 1 yet, as the 2 part season finale airs in January.
  13. South Park - episodes 2,7,9 and 10 were excellent, the rest was so-so.
  14. Absentia 
  15. Star Trek: Discovery 
  16. Gunpowder
  17. The Defenders
  18. Taboo
  19. The Walking Dead
  20. Iron Fist
  21. Inhumans

I've switched the order of The Good Place and Agents of SHIELD. They were close when I first put them on the list based on AoS season 4 and TGP season 1, but taking into account this autumn episodes, TGP, which finished the first part of season 2 a while ago, continued to be original and inventive, while the 3 episodes of AoS season 5 so far have presented a very interesting storyline, but I've been somewhat frustrated with the way that the main characters have been written. Though there are 2 more episodes to go before hiatus.

Runaways is still to finish its run for this year, so that will be eventually added. Out of the shows I'm watching that have already aired, I'll definitely have the time to finish Black Sails and The Expense S2 before the end of this year, I'll most likely finish The Leftovers, and I'm hoping to be able to catch up on Outlander and finish Twin Peaks: The Return if I'm lucky.

1. The Americans Season 5
  2. The Handmaid's Tale Season 1 
  3. Expanse Season 2
  4. Sense8 Season 2
  5. Godless 
  6. Stranger Things Season 2
  7. Big Little Lies
  8. Master of None Season 2 
  9. Outlander Season 3
  10. Game of Thrones Season 7
  11. House of Cards Season 5
  12. The Defenders Season 1
  13. Sherlock Season 4
  14. The Good Fight Season 1
  15. The White Princess
  16. Will and Grace Season 9
  17. Homeland Season 6
  18. Voltron Season 2
  19. Young Sheldon Season 1
  20. Greys Anatomy Season 13/14
  21. The Big Bang Theory Season 10/11
  22. Iron Fist Season 1
  23. The Shannara Chronicles Season 2
  24. Orange is the New Black Season 5

This one needed a bit more than I expected but it was due to the hectic life these days. I can't express how much I loved this one. The music was superb, the cast amazing, the story well told. I was never that much into Westerns, but Godless was truly a masterpiece. Hats off to the amazing cast, especially to Michelle Dockery and Thomas Brodie-Sangster, both of whom truly shone. 

Next one is The Crown. And I expect quite a lot from Ms Foy.

Updates:

1. Stranger Things 2
  2. Black Sails
  3. The Expanse
  4. Godless
  5. Agents of SHIELD
  6. Legion
  7. Sense8
  8. The Last Kingdom
  9. The Punisher
  10. Outlander
  11. Grimm
  12. Star Wars Rebels
  13. The Defenders
  14. House of Cards
  15. Homeland
  16. iZombie
  17. Killjoys
  18. Game of Thrones
  19. The Gifted
  20. Iron Fist
  21. Sherlock
  22. Elementary
  23. Dark Matter
  24. The Walking Dead
  25. The Blacklist
  26. Designated Survivor
  27. Arrow
  28. Brooklyn-99
  29. The Strain
  30. Supergirl
  31. Legends of Tomorrow
  32. The Flash
  33. The Big Bang Theory
  34. Taboo

Season 2 of Travelers should be releasing on Netflix before the year is out (currently airing in Canada), so that will be my last show, and my list will be complete. 

I bumped up AoS, because I realized I've enjoyed it more than the shows below it. Might do some shuffling for the final list.

Gonna edit this as I think of the shows I've watched this year...

Dark S1
Curb Your Enthusiasm S9 
The Deuce
Stranger Things S2
The Last Kingdom S2
Game of Thrones S7
Better Call Saul S3
Rick & Morty S3
Silicon Valley S4
Vice Principals S2
Mr. Mercedes
Billions S2
The Punisher S1
Fargo S3
Veep S6
Bosch S3
Mindhunter S1
The Defenders S1
Ozark S1
Big Little Lies S1
Iron Fist S1

---

Still in progress:
Peaky Blinders S4 
Shameless S7

---

Currently watching:
Hap and Leonard

---

On deck:
American Gods

1. The Americans Season 5
  2. The Crown Season 2
  3. The Handmaid's Tale Season 1 
  4. Expanse Season 2
  5. Sense8 Season 2
  6. Godless 
  7. Stranger Things Season 2
  8. Big Little Lies
  9. Master of None Season 2 
  10. Outlander Season 3
  11. Game of Thrones Season 7
  12. House of Cards Season 5
  13. The Defenders Season 1
  14. Sherlock Season 4
  15. The Good Fight Season 1
  16. The White Princess
  17. Will and Grace Season 9
  18. Homeland Season 6
  19. Voltron Season 2
  20. Young Sheldon Season 1
  21. Greys Anatomy Season 13/14
  22. The Big Bang Theory Season 10/11
  23. Iron Fist Season 1
  24. The Shannara Chronicles Season 2
  25. Orange is the New Black Season 5

Claire Foy was truly the best this season, proving what difference a great performance makes. I have thoroughly enjoyed this season and ms Foy shall be sorely missed.

Neither seasons of Gomorrah aired in 2017 but I only watched it this year so it goes on my list and was the best show I've seen this year.

1. Gomorrah s2
  2. Gomorrah s1
  3. The Leftovers s3
  4. Halt and Catch Fire s4
  5. Black Sails s4
  6. The Deuce s1
  7. Mindhunter s1
  8. The Americans s5
  9. The Expanse s2
  10. Better Call Saul s3
  11. Game of Thrones s7
  12. The Last Kingdom s2
  13. American Gods s1
  14. The Handmaid's Tale s1
  15. Stranger Things s2
  16. Mr. Robot s3 ( a return to form after the wheel spinning nonsense of season 2)
  17. Sense8 s2
  18. Fargo s3
  19. Godless s1
  20. Orange is the New Black s5 ( the only show I wish I hadn't bothered watching this year. It was rubbish)

Update.

1. BoJack Horseman 
  2. Black Sails
  3. The Handmaid’s Tale
  4. Big Little Lies
  5. Agents of SHIELD
  6. The Good Place
  7. American Gods
  8. The Americans
  9. The Punisher
  10. The Last Kingdom
  11. Legion
  12. Broadchurch
  13. The Gifted
  14. South Park
  15. Absentia 
  16. Star Trek: Discovery 
  17. Gunpowder
  18. The Defenders
  19. Taboo
  20. Iron Fist
  21. The Walking Dead
  22. Inhumans

Black Sails is a show I heard about this year and watched over the last few months. Season 4 (which is technically, I guess, the only one falling under the scope of this list as it aired in 2017) was really good and almost as great as seasons 2 and 3. I say 'almost' as there were a couple of contrived moments and one thing that didn't make much sense/was glossed over

Where the heck did the Spanish go after taking Nassau? What, they just sacked it, left it to Rogers and up and left? In whose name was Rogers governor - certainly not England at this point? And didn't that make him a traitor to England - and how come that wasn't an issue and something to go to trial for, but only his debts?

But I suppose overall it was just too good with the great characterization, themes, action and everything to bump down too much.

I've also bumped up Agents of SHIELD, which just last Friday aired the last episode it would this year, back to its old position just above The Good Place, as the last couple of episodes aired have proven that they aren't ignoring the emotional consequences of season 4, which I was slightly worried about.

The Walking Dead meanwhile got bumped down 1 position below Iron Fist. Just as I predicted, TWD - at this point a show I can only endure by watching it as background noise while I'm working - found a way to feature some more stupid and annoying stuff, including the god-awful mid-season finale.

The only remaining shows to add: Runaways as soon as I see the latest episode, as this will conclude its 2017 run; The Expanse and Outlander, which I'm sure I will finish this week, because I have just a few episodes left of both of these; The Leftovers, where I'm more behind but I believe I'll finish it before the New Year; and Twin Peaks, which I've also started there's no way I can manage to finish in 2017, but I may finish it during the holidays, not long after the New Year, so it will be added then.

Archived