Rank your 2017 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

On 4/13/2017 at 2:23 AM, Ramsay B. said:

1. Big Little Lies. . . Also nice to see a certain Deadwood character as the psychologist. 

Yes! That's where I recognized that actress from! I knew she was familiar but never bothered to look her up. Way different than her part on Deadwood.

Big Little Lies (bumped this up to #1, loved the show so much. The cast were fantastic, nicest surprise in terms of quality tv this year)

Legion S1

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S2 

The Last Kingdom S2

I, Zombie S3

13 Reasons Why

Dear White People (I binged the whole series today, it's not very long. I might come back and change this once I've thought about it some more)

[insert big gap here. Huge drop in quality between the top of my list and bottom]

A Series of Unfortunate Events S1

Riverdale S1

Taboo S1

Santa Clarita Diet S1

Iron Fist S1

DNF - Guerrilla, Santa Clarita Diet (wow, I had this on my list before and checking Netflix I still had three episodes left. I don't think I can face going back into that mess).

22 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Big Little Lies (bumped this up to #1, loved the show so much. The cast were fantastic, nicest surprise in terms of quality tv this year)

It really rekindled my love for Nicole Kidman, that's for sure :D 

Adding a few shows that I've finished and a couple that are ongoing. It's been a really good month (and year, really) for TV. Looking forward to seeing where American Gods will slot in.

1. The Handmaid's Tale
2. The Leftovers
3. Better Call Saul
4. The Young Pope
5. Feud
6. Fargo
7. The Expanse
8. Baskets
9. Black Sails
10. The Path
11. Girls
12. Love
13. Hap and Leonard
14. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
15. The Magicians
16. Grace and Frankie
17. The Mick
18. Sherlock
19. Taboo

The reason I've only put up two shows thus far for my top ten --Black Sails and the Expanse-- is because i expect for the remaining eight to come later in the year.... Sense 8.... GoT.... American Gods.... Outlander.... the Defenders.... the man in the high castle... house of Cards.... stranger Things.... Mr Robot... Outcast.... the Last Kingdom.... Punisher.... Narcos.... Quarry...  Preacher.... or Peaky Blinders... and that's not taking into consideration that there might be something that I am presently unaware of....

Shows like orphan Black, the Americans, Handmaids Tale, a series of unfortunate events, Legion etc.... were/are all terrific, and could creep up into my top ten if others falter... but probably not.... the one that has the best shot --for me-- is Better Call Saul....

3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

The reason I've only put up two shows thus far for my top ten --Black Sails and the Expanse-- is because i expect for the remaining eight to come later in the year.... Sense 8.... GoT.... American Gods.... Outlander.... the Defenders.... the man in the high castle... house of Cards.... stranger Things.... Mr Robot... Outcast.... the Last Kingdom.... Punisher.... Narcos.... Quarry...  Preacher.... or Peaky Blinders... and that's not taking into consideration that there might be something that I am presently unaware of....

Shows like orphan Black, the Americans, Handmaids Tale, a series of unfortunate events, Legion etc.... were/are all terrific, and could creep up into my top ten if others falter... but probably not.... the one that has the best shot --for me-- is Better Call Saul....

No one is stopping you from making a longer list, and just bumping everything down as new shows come along. That's the point of this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  1. The Americans Season 5
  2. Expanse Season 2
  3. Sense8 Season 2
  4. Big Little Lies
  5. Sherlock Season 4
  6. The Good Fight Season 1
  7. The White Princess
  8. Homeland Season 6
  9. Voltron Season 2
  10. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  11. Iron Fist Season 1
  12. Grey's Anatomy Season 13

All right, two more shows added this year. Sense8 is a masterpiece and one of the shows that when you watch them, you know is written by the most of decent human beings. It is action-packed with amazing characters and wonderful message across the board. On the other hand, The White Princess is the usual Phillipa Gregiory soap opera, but Starz made it look not so bad. 

Big Little Lies 

Sense8 S2

Legion S1

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S2 

I, Zombie S3

The Last Kingdom S2

13 Reasons Why

Dear White People (I binged the whole series today, it's not very long. I might come back and change this once I've thought about it some more)

[insert big gap here. Huge drop in quality between the top of my list and bottom]

Taboo S1

Riverdale S1

Iron Fist S1

DNF - Guerrilla, Santa Clarita Diet 

Coming up; I Love Dick, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Updates:

1. Black Sails
  2. The Expanse
  3. Legion
  4. The Last Kingdom - excellent season; Agents of SHIELD may overtake it, depending on its finale.
  5. Agents of SHIELD
  6. Grimm
  7. Star Wars Rebels
  8. Homeland
  9. Sherlock
  10. Elementary
  11. Iron Fist
  12. iZombie - not quite as good as the previous seasons, but if they keep to the formula of building up to the season finale, it could rise in the ranks.
  13. The Walking Dead
  14. The Blacklist
  15. Brooklyn-99 - continues to be fun and silly
  16. Designated Survivor
  17. Arrow
  18. Supergirl
  19. Legends of Tomorrow - could not resist the silliness, so got caught up on Netflix; season 2 was better than what Flash is now, and about the same as Supergirl
  20. The Flash
  21. The Big Bang Theory
  22. Taboo

Big Little Lies 

Sense8 S2

American Gods S1

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S3

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S2 

Legion S1

Master of None S2

I, Zombie S3

The Last Kingdom S2

13 Reasons Why

Dear White People

I love Dick

Taboo S1

Iron Fist S1

Riverdale S1

This list is getting more difficult to alter. Some of these, particularly near the top, are really neck-and-neck at the minute. 

Interesting to note I've watched way more comedies this year than I usually do.

Update v2.0 for my 2017 watch list. New entries are in red.

1. Legion S1
  2. The Good Place S1
  3. Black Mirror S3
  4. The Young Pope
  5. Big Little Lies S1
  6. Star Wars Rebels S3 
  7. Master of None S2 (It blew S1 outta the water. Ansari hires family & friends, so the performances aren't always on point, but the writing was excellent, and I loved the stylized episodes Ansari directed.)
  8. The Walking Dead S7.2
  9. The Crown S1 
  10. New Girl S6 (I love this show and all the characters, so it's gonna be in my top 10 regardless. Nick's whole unexpected YA fame was hilarious this season, and I'm glad Jess & Nick finally made a decision.)
  11. Last Man On Earth S3 (Hit or miss this season for me, but luckily more the former than latter. Wiig's stand-alone episode was great and the last two episodes had a big twist that definitely has me eager to see what happens in S4.)
  12. Agents of SHIELD S4 (This season really was solid. Ghost Rider looked good and the Framework storyline was great. I feel like the writers are at a disadvantage with the network schedule, but they did a decent job of basically putting three story arcs into one 22 episode season. I wish ABC would let them do a schedule like AMC does with TWD. Put out a straight run of shows, then a hiatus, and finish off the season with another straight run.)
  13. Love S2 
  14. Son of Zorn S1 (Such a hilarious, wacky, and underrated show. I'm sad it was canceled. Save it, Netflix!)
  15. Crashing S1 (Pete Holmes is hilarious and the cast of comedians was great. The Rachel Ray episodes were the best. The finale was a bit meh, but I hope they get another shot for S2 on HBO. There's a lot of potential here.)
  16. Sherlock S4 
  17. Sneaky Pete S1
  18. Emerald City S1
  19. Vikings S4.2
  20. Rubicon S1 (This was the third show AMC ever produced, way back in 2010. It only lasted one season, and its languid pace, blah characters, and uneven performances are a big part of why no S2 materialized. Mostly it failed because it's a suspense show with very little suspense.)
  21. Man in the High Castle S2
  22. Iron Fist S1 

Some shuffling and adding Sense8.

1. Black Sails
  2. The Expanse
  3. Legion
  4. Sense8 - started watching the whole thing a few weeks ago (I made an attempt some time ago and gave up) and after getting past the first couple of slow episodes, I started enjoying; I'm counting only season 2 on this list, but season 1 is as good as season 2
  5. The Last Kingdom
  6. Agents of SHIELD
  7. Grimm
  8. Star Wars Rebels
  9. Homeland
  10. Iron Fist
  11. iZombie.
  12. Sherlock
  13. Elementary
  14. The Walking Dead
  15. The Blacklist
  16. Arrow
  17. Brooklyn-99
  18. Designated Survivor
  19. Supergirl
  20. Legends of Tomorrow
  21. The Flash
  22. The Big Bang Theory
  23. Taboo

New season of House of Cards will be next.

2. Expanse Season 2
  3. Sense8 Season 2
  4. Big Little Lies
  5. Master of None Season 2 
  6. Sherlock Season 4
  7. The Good Fight Season 1
  8. The White Princess
  9. Homeland Season 6
  10. Voltron Season 2
  11. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  12. Iron Fist Season 1
  13. Grey's Anatomy Season 13

I am more of drama kind of guy but Master of None Season 2 BLEW MY MIND. I like the style, I like the characters, the story flows nicely and it has its own niche. I really, really liked it and I fell in love from the very first episode.

COMING NEXT: House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, American Gods, The Handmaiden's Tale

3 hours ago, Risto said:
  2. Expanse Season 2
  3. Sense8 Season 2
  4. Big Little Lies
  6. Sherlock Season 4
  7. The Good Fight Season 1
  8. The White Princess
  9. Homeland Season 6
  10. Voltron Season 2
  11. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  12. Iron Fist Season 1
  13. Grey's Anatomy Season 13

I am more of drama kind of guy but Master of None Season 2 BLEW MY MIND. I like the style, I like the characters, the story flows nicely and it has its own niche. I really, really liked it and I fell in love from the very first episode.

COMING NEXT: House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, American Gods, The Handmaiden's Tale

I'm hugely disappointed that you don't seem to have caught up in Orphan Black yet and aren't anticipating the fifth and final(!!!) season next week. Boo you! 

I forgive you somewhat though, because of your absolutely correct opinion on Master of None.

Big Little Lies 

American Gods S1

Sense8 S2

House of Cards Season 5 (subject to change, strong first half of the season though)

Catastrophe S3

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S3

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S2 

Legion S1

Master of None S2

The Last Kingdom S2

I, Zombie S3

Hot Girls Wanted: Turned On

13 Reasons Why

Dear White People

I Love Dick

Taboo S1

Iron Fist S1

Riverdale S1

Need to add: The Handmaiden's Tale (first episode only aired here on Sunday) Fargo (has just started here tonight) The Americans (coming Summer, sometime), OitNB, Orphan Black and probably some others I'm forgetting. Ah, summer. When we hide from the sun and bury ourselves in tv shows

13 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I'm hugely disappointed that you don't seem to have caught up in Orphan Black yet and aren't anticipating the fifth and final(!!!) season next week. Boo you! 

I forgive you somewhat though, because of your absolutely correct opinion on Master of None.

You will never let this one go, are you? :D

In the name of everything that is holy to me (Sansa and her lemoncakes, the Stark name, Dr Julian Bashir, Dr House, Minerva McGonagall and Galadriel), I swear I will watch both seasons of Orphan Black by the end of summer. 

And if I fail any exams this summer, I will find you... :D And you will know who let the dogs out...

2. Expanse Season 2
  3. Sense8 Season 2
  4. Big Little Lies
  6. House of Cards Season 5
  7. Sherlock Season 4
  8. The Good Fight Season 1
  9. The White Princess
  10. Homeland Season 6
  11. Voltron Season 2
  12. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  13. Iron Fist Season 1
  14. Grey's Anatomy Season 13

So, HoC is back and I needed a week to binge it through. Simply, the work of Spacey and Wright is phenomenal which, IMO, trumps (no pun intended) the ridiculousness of the plot. But, then again, how ridiculous it really is when it feels we live in a circus?

In Memoriam: Sense8... The cancellation of this show were truly sad news for me. Unlike HoC, almost to the opposite, this show has love in its core. And that is something I miss on screen these days.

The Americans Season 5 was a slow burn, but the character drama was intense. It simply remains n.1 show for me.

Archived