17. Arrow
  18. Brooklyn-99
  19. Designated Survivor
  20. Supergirl
  21. Legends of Tomorrow
  22. The Flash
  23. The Big Bang Theory
  24. Taboo

Some updates, now that most of the April/May shows are finished or almost finished with their seasons:

1. The Leftovers
2. American Gods
3. Better Call Saul
4. Sense8
5. The Young Pope
6. The Handmaid's Tale
7. Feud
8. Fargo
9. The Expanse
10. Baskets
11. Black Sails
12. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
13. Silicon Valley
14. Master of None
15. The Path
16. Girls
17. Love
18. The Last Kingdom
19. Hap and Leonard
20. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
21. Veep
22. The Magicians
23. Grace and Frankie
24. The Mick
25. Sherlock
26. Taboo

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Update:

1. Black Sails
  2. The Expanse
  3. Legion
  4. Sense8
  5. The Last Kingdom
  6. Agents of SHIELD
  7. Grimm
  8. Star Wars Rebels
  9. House of Cards

Agents of SHIELD are better than HoC... I need more data on this one please. Feel free to include spoilers, but for the rest of the gang, use brackets :D 

3 hours ago, Risto said:

Agents of SHIELD are better than HoC... I need more data on this one please. Feel free to include spoilers, but for the rest of the gang, use brackets :D 

This is a subjective list, of course, but I got way more enjoyment out of the current season of AoS, than I did from House of Cards. It took me nearly two weeks to finish HoC. If AoS had been available to binge watch, it probably would have taken me a weekend to finish the third story arc. 

I felt that AoS has progressively gotten better, with this season being by far the best so far. On the other hand, the current season of HoC started out strong, but then fluctuated, and I found some of the stuff near the end too ridiculous even despite that we were joking in the HoC thread how none of that stuff is really ridiculous anymore.

Spoiler

But the piling of bodies at the end was a bit too much, and the plot became hard to follow. 

Also, I tend to give fantasy/SF shows a bit more of a pass, which is why many of my top shows are in that genre, and I still continue to watch turds like the CW superhero shows, while I wouldn't watch shows from other genres of that quality. :P

On 3/28/2017 at 9:30 AM, dbunting said:

Legion - One of my favorites this year, mini binging 2 episodes at a time now

Big Little Lies - Pretty damn well acted and written show. Deals with a lot of deeply personal issues and has you caring about the characters pretty quickly, only one episode left already!

Taken - Sort of a prequel to the movies. I have only seen a couple episodes and I have liked it so far

Taboo - Had really high expectations, by the end of S1 I was ready for it to be done

24 Legacy - I like the format and the people so for me this has been a good show

Designated Survivor - Much like 24 I like the actors and subject matter. Not sure that this could survive more than 2-3 seasons though

Update

Legion, favorite new show

The Leftovers, really liked the finale

Big Little lies, surprisingly good show

Better Call Saul

Sense8, disappointed it has been canceled

Silicon Valley, favorite comedy

Designated Survivor

The Walking Dead

Survivor

Big Bang Theory

Taken

24 Legacy

Shades of Blue

Taboo, biggest disappointment of the year

House of Cards - Only 2 episodes in, had trouble streaming and haven't gotten back to it.

Game of Thrones starting next month, will jump to #1 spot when it does.

1. The Americans Season 5
  2. The Handmaid's Tale Season 1 
  3. Expanse Season 2
  4. Sense8 Season 2
  5. Big Little Lies
  6. Master of None Season 2 
  7. House of Cards Season 5
  8. Sherlock Season 4
  9. The Good Fight Season 1
  10. The White Princess
  11. Homeland Season 6
  12. Voltron Season 2
  13. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  14. Iron Fist Season 1
  15. Grey's Anatomy Season 13

So, The Handmaid's Tale is absolutely brilliant, sinister and horrifyingly captivating show. It grabs your soul and tears it in a million pieces. The overall, I would say it is equal to The Americans, and even better in some aspects, with Elizabeth Moss being certainly my favorite Emmy contender this year, but Phillip Jennings remain THE best TV character in modern era. 

American Gods S1

Big Little Lies 

Sense8 S2

Orphan Black S5 (premature, but they hit the ground running with their premiere and I had other stuff I needed to add)

The Handmaid's Tale S1 (The UK is way behind the rest of you, so this could change as the season progresses)

Sneaky Pete S1

Catastrophe S3

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S3

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S2 

Legion S1

Master of None S2

The Last Kingdom S2

I, Zombie S3

13 Reasons Why

Dear White People

Fargo S3 - only two episodes in but liking it so far. Ewan McGregor!

Orange is the New Black S5 - this season got so much wrong. Focusing on cardboard cutout characters I don't care about instead of the long-established cast we know and love. Tonally all wrong, the comedic elements sitting at odds with the new situation. Just very off. There were some nice moments still, and the latter half of season 5 was better than the beginning as we spent more time with the cast we know and love - Red's family, Gloria (oh dear :crying: that story was sad) Flores, Taystee etc. Oh, and also Fig, Fig makes everything better.

Hot Girls Wanted, Turned On

I Love Dick

House of Cards S5 (Big drop. It was a fun binge, Wright and Spacey are terrific actors, but it's good for a binge and little else imo)

[insert big gap here. Huge drop in quality between the top of my list and bottom]

A Series of Unfortunate Events S1

Taboo S1

Iron Fist S1

Riverdale S1

DNF - Guerrilla, Santa Clarita Diet 

Still no damned release dates for The Americans S5 or The Expanse S2 over here. Damnit! 

On 6/12/2017 at 11:33 AM, Corvinus said:

...I felt that AoS has progressively gotten better, with this season being by far the best so far....

I'm with you here. The more I think about this latest season of AoS, the more I like it. I'm putting together my third list update now, and I gotta say, I think AoS S4 is going above Better Caul Saul S3. I know that's crazy for some people since BCS is so critically acclaimed, but overall I enjoyed the characters & stories of AoS S4 more. Plus that final arc with the Matrix Framework really pushed things to a new level for the show. The Framework stuff alone puts this season as some of the best TV Marvel has done yet.

Just looked at my last entry and so much has changed:

1) The Leftovers
2) Black Sails
3) American Gods
4) Crazy Ex Girlfriend
5) Legion
6) Better Call Saul
7) 13 Reasons Why
8) Catastrophe
9) Samurai Jack
10) Love
11) Big Little Lies

12) Taboo
13) Iron Fist.

Overall those top 11 series are all very good, even the ones I found a little disappointing like Big Little Lies or Love. Legion could have been top but I fell a little out of love with it after a bit of a think. American Gods is higher than it should be due to me just finishing it. Even though I didn't enjoy every single moment of Leftovers, I just appreciate it so much for what its doing.

Need to finish Handmaids Tale and get started on Twin Peaks, but they both seem like hard work.

Tie 1. Gomorrah s2 (every episode was brutal and fantastic. If not for great seasons from The Leftovers and Black Sails, would leave every other show in the dust so far in 2017. Just finished it and already having withdrawals.)

Tie 1. The Leftovers s3 ( wonderful end to a show I wasn't too sure about in season 1 but absolutely blew me away in season 2. Season 3 picked up wonderfully where 2 left off. Melodramatic as all hell, but such a treat to watch.)

Tie 1. Black Sails s4 ( like The Leftovers, season 1 was a slow burn. S2 it was at it's peak, and s3 and s4 were just a slight dip from s2. Fantastic finale that makes you view Treasure Island from a completely different angle. Capt Flint is one of my fav tv characters now.)

Big Little Lies (still the most pleasant surprise of the year for me. Great story and riveting performances from all)

Legion s1 (trippy and a bit indulgent, but very entertaining. bonus points for some creepy scenes and a refreshing take on superheroes.)

The Young Pope (another pleasant surprise. Jude Law was fantastic. Trippy and entertaining)

Fargo s3 (a  slight dip in quality from s1 and s2 but still quirky and entertaining)

American Gods s1 ( loved the novel, show is enjoyable with some nice expansion of the novel. Not too sure where to rank it. Enjoyed the shows above more, but in the middle of the pack is about right.)

Hap and Leonard s2 (love Purefoy and Williams as the titular characters. Just fun. I need to read Joe R. Lansdale's novels)

The Missing s2 (better than season 1)

The Expanse s 2( fun sci-fi fix. Needs more space battles)

Trapped (Icelandic noir)

The Son s1 (based on Philipp Meyer's novel. Had its moments. Slightly preachy and predictable at times, but I give it higher marks due to its being a Western)

Veep (still an episode left, but my least favorite season so far. Only placing it here since it hasn't finished yet)

Taboo (what a disappointment and waste of time. Could actually be lower than the DNFs below. Kept waiting for it to go somewhere but it never really did. I suppose the design was neat)

DNF : The Magicians s2 ( finally had enough of the miserable characters)

The White Princess ( I made it through last year's The White Queen, but couldn't stomach The White Princess after a few episodes.)

Here is my list of shows I'm currently watching or have finished in 2017.   Just starting the final season of Orphan Black so not sure where it will fall but expect in the Great or high Good category. 

The Great

1. The Leftovers S3

2. The Expanse S2

3. Black Sails S4

4. American Gods S1

5. Sense8 S2

6. The Last Kingdom S2

The Good

7. Fargo S3

8. Sneaky Pete

9. The Good Place S1

10. Agents of Shield S4

11. Brooklyn 99 S4

12. Legion S1

13. The Americans S5

14. The 100 S4

15. Star Wars Rebels Season 4

16. Into the Badlands S2

17. Silicon Valley S4

18. Powerless

19. Humans S2

20. Incorporated

The Meh

21. The Magicians S2

22. Ironfist S1

23. Taboo S1

24. The Walking Dead S7

25. Vikings Season 5

26. Timeless S1

27. Victoria season 1

On 6/21/2017 at 6:23 PM, WarGalley said:

Did you finish the last 2 episodes? They're a doozy..

JFC that S2 finale... :o

I'm sad to see Don Pietro go. The actor that played him was fantastic. He deserved what he got though for having Ciro's daughter killed.

Dang, looks like I'm going to have to add S1 & S2 of Gomorrah to my ever growing queue of shows to watch. Should I bother with the film first or can I just get right into S1E1?

Right now I'm four episodes deep into GLOW, and if it keeps up this level of quality until the end of the season it'll likely crack my top 10. Fargo S3 & Last Kingdom S2 are next on my watch list. 

6 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Dang, looks like I'm going to have to add S1 & S2 of Gomorrah to my ever growing queue of shows to watch. Should I bother with the film first or can I just get right into S1E1?

Right now I'm four episodes deep into GLOW, and if it keeps up this level of quality until the end of the season it'll likely crack my top 10. Fargo S3 & Last Kingdom S2 are next on my watch list. 

It's not necessary to watch the film first. The only elements the show and film share are the setting and the Camorra. However, I would still suggest watching the film. It is very good.

13 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Go right to the series. I just watched the movie last week, and while I thought it was decent, the show is a million times better. The movie kind of suffers from focusing on too many characters, imo. 

Okay, three votes for skipping the movie and going straight to S1 of Gomorrah. Interesting.  I think I'll do that once I'm done with Last Kingdom and Fargo. So there are no overlapping characters in the film and series then? If I decide I love the show so much I wanna go back and watch the film I won't have anything spoiled?

5 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Okay, three votes for skipping the movie and going straight to S1 of Gomorrah. Interesting.  I think I'll do that once I'm done with Last Kingdom and Fargo. So there are no overlapping characters in the film and series then? If I decide I love the show so much I wanna go back and watch the film I won't have anything spoiled?

Nope, no spoilers.

Archived