Rank your 2017 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

These are all the shows i recall watching thus far this year. Probably forgetting something

1. The Leftovers - how to finish a show with grace

2. Big Little Lies - enormously entertaining, superb cast all around 

3. Better Call Saul

4. Twin Peaks - if it maintains the current quality for all 18 episode, it's gonna be #1 on the list

5. The Handmaid's Tale

6. Fargo

7. 13 Reasons Why

8. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

9. The Americans - this season didn't captured me at all for some reason, still hasn't finished it

10. House of Cards - this show should have ended three seasons ago

11. Santa Clarita Diet 

12. Taboo - hugely disappointing, considering the cast and scale of production

13. Sherlock - a horrible mess

Update v3.0 for my 2017 watch list. New entries are in red.

1. Legion S1
  2. The Good Place S1
  3. Black Mirror S3
  4. The Young Pope
  5. American Gods (Like Legion & Young Pope, one of the most visually splendid shows on TV this year. And the cast is absolute gold.)
  6. Leftovers S3 (This was maybe the most gut wrenching and emotionally draining series of TV I've ever experienced. This final season was a great way to end it. Fantastic characters and performances.)
  7. Big Little Lies S1
  8. Star Wars Rebels S3 
  9. Master of None S2
  10. New Girl S6
  11. The Crown S1 
  12. GLOW S1 (I vaguely remember GLOW coming on Saturdays after the cartoons aired. The 80s nostalgia and Alison Brie are what drew me in, but the the writing and characters--Marc Maron was especially good--are what made me love this show.)
  13. Archer Dreamland S8 (An entire season set in Archer's coma dream, which puts him and the cast in a comedy noir in the late 1940s. Genius!)
  14. The Walking Dead S7.2
  15. Agents of SHIELD S4
  16. Better Call Saul S3 (These are some really great characters, but the languid pacing with which their stories are all progressing is frustrating.)
  17. Brockmire S1 (Hank Azaria and Amanda Peet are absolute gold in this comedy about a down and out baseball announcer. I really hope it gets renewed for a second season.)
  18. Last Man On Earth S3
  19. Silicon Valley S4 (The roller coaster adventures of the Pied Piper crew and those int heir sphere continued to entertain. Richard become almost intolerable in the last few episodes and I didn't love the way TJ Miller's character went out. Not sure how they're going to fill the Bachman sized whole in S5.)
  20. Catastrophe S3 (I love this show but had to put it lower on the list for two reasons. First, for only six episodes, there wasn't as much bang for the buck as a lot of the other shows. And secondly, I found both Sharon and Rob behaving in ways that didn't make me like them very much. It's hard to root for the two main characters when you're kinda disgusted by them.)
  21. Brooklyn Nine-Nine S4 (It's a solid sit-com and delivers some goofy fun each episode. Even though it can feel somewhat repetitive, there are absolutely hilarious episodes with heart sprinkled throughout the season.)
  22. Love S2 
  23. VEEP S6 (I was wondering why they'd continue the series after last season, which would've been a great series finale. But they proved me wrong and delivered some great episodes and scathing one-liners.)
  24. Son of Zorn S1
  25. Crashing (HBO) S1
  26. Sherlock S4 
  27. Sneaky Pete S1
  28. Powerless S1 (This show had a wonderful premise and a decent cast, great potential all around. However, the writing just wasn't quite consistent enough. I'm sad to see it get canceled without it's full 12 episodes even airing. I think it could've had a chance if the writing style and some characters were overhauled for a season two. I mean, look at Parks & Rec, S1 & S2 were night and day.)
  29. Emerald City S1
  30. Vikings S4.2
  31. Rubicon S1
  32. Man in the High Castle S2
  33. Iron Fist S1

I'm always baffled when I come into this thread and see posts with lists of 20+ shows. When do you guys find to watch all of them? And do you only watch shows that had episodes this year? I've only finished 7 shows that have aired this year, plus I've seen seasons of 4-5 shows that did not air this year, and rewatched earlier seasons of a couple of shows - and started several shows I still haven't had times to finish. 

4 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

I'm always baffled when I come into this thread and see posts with lists of 20+ shows. When do you guys find to watch all of them? And do you only watch shows that had episodes this year? I've only finished 7 shows that have aired this year, plus I've seen seasons of 4-5 shows that did not air this year, and rewatched earlier seasons of a couple of shows - and started several shows I still haven't had times to finish. 

Everyone's got their priorities. ;) I'm always baffled and wonder the same when I go in the Monthly Reading thread in the Literature section, and see some people have managed to read 10+ books in a month.

13 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Everyone's got their priorities. ;) I'm always baffled and wonder the same when I go in the Monthly Reading thread in the Literature section, and see some people have managed to read 10+ books in a month.

I can't read that many books, either. There's this thing called work, it takes up a lot of time. :P

6 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Some of us are students who love to procrastinate! :P I also have trouble sleeping so tend to watch things when   can't sleep. Actually its weird when i think how much I've watched because I get loads of other stuff done too...i don't know where the hours come from :lol:

And my list only includes shows that air new seasons in 2017. I do still watch some stuff that isnt 'new' that i didnt watch when it first aired.

Update:

1. Gomorrah- season 2

2. Big Little Lies

3. The Missing- season 2

4. Fargo- season 3

5. Better Call Saul- season 3

6. Taboo

Fargo and BCS were a little disappointing. Still good shows but I just expected a little more and got kind of bored with both at times.

18 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Well, if we do the math on your post, you're actually not that far from 20 shows yourself. ;) Watching TV & movies are how I decompress after work. In the past 3-4 years I've cut down on movies and watched more TV because there's so much quality TV out there. A few factors why I've got so many damned TV shows on my list, which is still growing & will likely be close to 50 shows by the end of the year at this rate. (I really do need to read more books and watch less TV.)

1. Netflix (and other streaming services), baby! Limitless options.
  2. No commercials! Because of streaming services I don't have to sit through commercials. So I can watch three episodes of a sit-com in an hour instead of two, or four episodes of a drama in roughly three hours.
  3. Shorter seasons. Most of the shows on my list have 10 or fewer episodes per season. So I can go through about three drama shows on my list in the same time it'd take to watch one season of ST:TNG or Law & Order back in the day.

My list is strictly shows I've finished watching in 2017. However, some of the network shows like New Girl & Brooklyn-9-9 I started watching in 2016.

Maybe the next step is calculating how many hours we've actually spent watching TV shows? Or maybe not. That might make it all too real. :unsure:

American Gods S1

Big Little Lies 

Orphan Black S5 

Sense8 S2

The Americans S5

The Handmaid's Tale S1 

GLOW S1

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S2

Catastrophe S3

Legion S1

Sneaky Pete S1

Master of None S2

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S3

The Last Kingdom S2

13 Reasons Why

Dear White People

I, Zombie S3

Fargo S3  

Orange is the New Black S5 

Hot Girls Wanted, Turned On

I Love Dick

House of Cards S5 

[insert big gap here. Huge drop in quality between the top of my list and bottom]

A Series of Unfortunate Events S1

Taboo S1

Iron Fist S1

Riverdale S1

DNF - Guerrilla, Santa Clarita Diet 

Added GLOW, Sneaky Pete and The Americans (which isn't yet a complete season here). Tweaked a couple of others. 

On 6/29/2017 at 5:07 PM, Annara Snow said:

If I counted that right, that is 18-20+ seasons this year... So, you are not that better :D

I juggle between my work and academics, which is why many TV shows from last year were left for good. But I enjoy American TV and I make time for it...

On 29/06/2017 at 4:07 PM, Annara Snow said:

Right now I feel almost stressed out from the huge amount of shows out there. I do manage to get through quite a few though as my commute takes about 2 hours of my day and due to amazon and netflix I can now watching on the way. It means I sometimes even run out of good shows to watch! Quite the luxury

39 minutes ago, Risto said:

If I counted that right, that is 18-20+ seasons this year... So, you are not that better :D

I juggle between my work and academics, which is why many TV shows from last year were left for good. But I enjoy American TV and I make time for it...

You mean worse... :D

Nah, you're both wrong. If I counted everything I've sampled or started, it would be over 20, but just counting seasons of TV shows I've finished, it's just 7 from this year, plus 4 that did not air this year (I still have 3 episodes until I finish season 1 of The Expanse, so that doesn't count), plus rewatching Buffy, that's just 12 overall including rewatches (the other show I rewatched was Agents of SHIELD, which doesn't count since it's one of the other 7 shows whosr latest season I saw this year. Also started a rewatch of Dollhouse because a poster on a forum I frequent is doing a first time watch thread, so I'm keeping up with their schedule, but they are in the middle of season 1.). 

I suppose my schedule is different because I work at home and don't have working hours but deadlines. I prefer it that way, but there aren't that many days when I have no work lined up. That's usually when I can do my binge watching. I'm usually trying to squeeze in as many episodes of TV shows as I can while having breakfast/dinner or doing house chores like washing dishes or ironing, or sometimes I'll watch an episode just before sleep.

Maybe it will be better when my tablet is finally repaired - then I'll be able to watch things even when I'm not home.

One thing I'm probably doing more than most people is listen to tons of podcasts on my phone - because I spend a couple of hours every day walking my dogs.

There's no danger of running out of shows to watch..I've got a long list of those I really want to watch but haven't found the time yet!

So here are the shows whose seasons that at least partially aired this year I've finished. It was pretty difficult to rank them, since they're very different and have very different strengths and flaws, and I liked all of them and loved at least 6 out of 7.

1. Agents of SHIELD - I wouldn't have predicted it would end up on top, not because the show has not been good, but because it usually isn't this level of good on a consistent basis over the entire season or most of it. But season 4, and specifically the part that aired this year (episodes 9-22) were the best arc the show has ever done, and the last 8 episodes were great.
  2. The Good Place - I don't watch many sitcoms these days, because an intelligent and funny sitcom is not something that's easy to find, but this one is just that. It was funny and witty all the way through, but I wasn't expecting it to be great, until the twist in the final episode, which is one of the best I've seen recently, one of those twists that make everything make so much more sense in retrospect.
  3. American Gods - both the book and show are incredibly original, and it's one of the best adaptations I've seen, with Bryan Fuller's style perfectly matching the themes. The style is amazing and magical and so are some of the fragments of the story. I thought at many points while watching that this would end up being my favorite show this year. So why is it only in third place? Because there were also some other parts of the story, both in the show and in the book, that that didn't work for me and that I really don't like (Bilquis), and overall, I'm not sure that all the narrative strands came so well together in this season. 
  4. The Americans - it hurts me to place it only at #4, because I think it's the best current TV show, and one of the best of all times. However, this season was weaker than the previous ones. It still had amazing character work and some really strong moments (the last 15 minutes of the episode 'Dyatkovo' were incredible, as was the last scene of 'Darkroom' and a few other strong character moments), but it was lacking in the plot department and did not have the tension and high stakes of the previous season. It felt like it was more like the first part of one big 26 episode final season, and that this one was just a setup for season 6, which will probably me awesome.
  5. Legion - It's nice to see a superhero comic book show that has a very different and distinctive narrative and overall style. The psychedelic, mindfrakky style fit the story (which, once you started figuring it out, was actually pretty simple) and the main character well. But at times it did feel a bit indulgent and 'style over substance' - like it was more interesting in showing the viewers "Look! Look how quirky and stylized this show is!" than developing the majority of characters, which I hope to see happen next season.
  6. Broadchurch - I actually watched both season 2 and season 3 this year. It's a really good show, the only reason it's not placed higher is because I liked the others more.
  7. Taboo - I didn't dislike the show as the majority of people on this forum seemed to. It's just not as good as the others above it.

The other shows that I saw this year did not air this season... or, technically, they did, but not in USA or UK. These were at some point on one of Serbian TV channels (some of them as repeats) and I ended up watching them on actual TV:

- season 2 of Legends, Sean Bean's show that's been cancelled in the meantime - I did not watch season 1 except for the first episode, but season 2 is surprisingly good and self-contained. 

- The Night Manager

- The Strain - season 2 - not a good show, I basically watched it because it was on, and often while I was working on my computer or doing something else. Season 2 had some even more annoying moments than S1, and I don't feel any particular urge to continue.

- The Blacklist - I sort of saw the first 2 seasons, in a very broad and generous meaning of 'watching' a show, as in: I watched the first few episodes, realized the show was really stupid, but still kind of wanted to know whether the main 'mystery' would go somewhere, and then I kinda sorta watched it because on TV every day and I could kind of watch it while I was at my computer doing something else. Well, mostly I was bored and rolling my eyes at all the episodic plots that I was barely paying attention to. 

I'm currently doing a rewatch of Buffy, my all-time favorite show, trying to catch up with the group rewatch that's going on on a Buffy forum I've been active on for years.  Next up, I'll finish season 1 of The Expanse, which I'm really enjoying - and then go to season 2. Also started season 1 of BoJack Horseman. Then I plan to take a plunge into the new season of Twin Peaks, but only after rewatching the movie, the deleted scenes and at least the final episode of season 2. The other shows on my list that I haven't had the time for so far: The Leftovers, The Handmaid's Tale, and season 3 of The Last Kingdom. 

• 1 month later...

Update:

1. Black Sails
  2. The Expanse
  3. Legion
  4. Sense8
  5. The Last Kingdom
  6. Agents of SHIELD
  7. Grimm
  8. The Defenders
  9. Star Wars Rebels
  10. House of Cards
  11. Killjoys
  12. Homeland
  13. Iron Fist
  14. iZombie
  15. Sherlock
  16. Elementary
  17. Dark Matter
  18. The Walking Dead
  19. The Blacklist
  20. Arrow
  21. Brooklyn-99
  22. Designated Survivor
  23. Supergirl
  24. Legends of Tomorrow
  25. The Flash
  26. The Big Bang Theory
  27. Taboo

Holding off on Game of Thrones and The Strain for now.

1. Sense8 - S2
  2. Orphan Black - S5
  3. Legion - S1
  4. The Expanse - S2
  5. 12 Monkeys - S3
  6. Westworld - S1
  7. Better Call Saul - S3
  8. Game of Thrones - S7
  9. Mr. Robot - S2
  10. American Gods - S1
  11. Master of None - S2
  12. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - S2
  13. Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - S1
  14. The Last Kingdom - S2
  15. The Magicians - S2
  16. The Man in the High Castle - S2
  17. The Handmaid's Tale - S1
  18. Atlanta - S1
  19. Twin Peaks - S3
  20. Orange Is the New Black - S5
  21. Sneaky Pete - S1
  22. People of Earth - S2
  23. Fargo - S3
  24. Big Little Lies - S1
  25. Marvel's The Defenders - S1
  26. Class - S1
  27. Humans - S2
  28. iZombie - S3
  29. Dark Matter - S3
  30. Killjoys - S3
  31. The White Princess - S1
  32. Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - S4
  33. Brooklyn Nine-Nine - S5
  34. Doctor Who - S10
  35. Veep - S6
  36. Silicon Valley - S4
  37. New Girl - S6
  38. Vikings - S4
  39. Travelers - S1
  40. The OA - S1
  41. GLOW - S1
  42. The Walking Dead - S7
  43. Frontier - S1
  44. Gotham - S3
  45. Ash vs. Evil Dead - S2
  46. Marvel's Iron Fist - S1
  47. Preacher - S2
  48. Vice Principals - S1
  49. Stan Lee's Lucky Man - S2
  50. Taboo - S1
  51. Salvation - S1
  52. Fear The Walking Dead - S3
  53. South Park - S21
  54. The Last Man On Earth - S3
  55. Love - S2
  56. The Crown - S1
  57. Harlots - S1
  58. The Big Bang Theory - S10
  59. The Girlfriend Experience - S1

1. The Americans Season 5
  2. The Handmaid's Tale Season 1 
  3. Expanse Season 2
  4. Sense8 Season 2
  5. Big Little Lies
  6. Master of None Season 2 
  7. Game of Thrones Season 7
  8. House of Cards Season 5
  9. The Defenders Season 1
  10. Sherlock Season 4
  11. The Good Fight Season 1
  12. The White Princess
  13. Homeland Season 6
  14. Voltron Season 2
  15. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  16. Iron Fist Season 1
  17. Grey's Anatomy Season 13

So, Game of Thrones Season 7 has its amazing moments, but at the end fails to deliver because the characters have become so bland. I miss the days when we had scenes such as conversation between Robert and Cersei because they served to deliver us amazing characters, but this year, there is not even resemblance of that. The Defenders was a solid show. I liked it and I will always adore Daredevil. But the ending was boringly cliche and it suffered because of it.

23 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Update:

1. Black Sails
  2. The Expanse
  3. Legion
  4. Sense8
  5. The Last Kingdom
  6. Agents of SHIELD
  7. Grimm
  8. The Defenders
  9. Star Wars Rebels
  10. House of Cards
  11. Killjoys...

Holding off on Game of Thrones and The Strain for now.

So Defenders is a Top 10 show? Good to know you dug it. I haven't seen much about it on my social media, and am only one episode into it thus far. I'll hopefully finish it in the next few days. Also, never heard of Killjoys. Will have to look that one up.

22 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:
  1. Sense8
  2. Legion
  3. The Expanse
  4. Game of Thrones
  5. Orphan Black
  6. 12 Monkeys
  7. Westworld
  8. Better Call Saul
  9. Mr. Robot
  10. American Gods
  11. ... 58. The Girlfriend Experience

You and Corvinus both are killing me with omitting the season numbers! So is that Mr. Robot S1, S2, or both? Also, I never started 12 Monkeys, but I was always curious. It's that good, eh? Just read S4 is its final one, so I may binge once it's all wrapped up.

Also, 58 is an impressive number. I just cracked 40 and am finding it increasingly difficult to actually rank them. I may just break things down into categories for my next update like some other posters have been doing.

8 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

You and Corvinus both are killing me with omitting the season numbers! So is that Mr. Robot S1, S2, or both? Also, I never started 12 Monkeys, but I was always curious. It's that good, eh? Just read S4 is its final one, so I may binge once it's all wrapped up.

Haha, just the latest season for each one (some might have been in 2016?).  Class season 1 for instance I think was last year, so shouldn't be on the list.

Yes, 12 Monkeys is that good this season (3).  I've said in that show's thread that if I had to list the single best seasons of any show it would be in my top 5 or 10.  It's just a silly time travel series, but it's consistently fun, the characters are charming, the plot is never boring, and just that this particular season did a great job being exactly what the showrunners intended it to be (surprising me because after the season 2 finale we all were expecting season 3 to be crappy because of one thing introduced as the cliffhanger.  They did introduce it, it kicked ass anyway, and it didn't overstay it's welcome.  And they picked an awesome guest actor for the role.)  Plus it was released all episodes over three nights so a lot of us were expecting crap since it seemed SyFy didn't have faith in the show -- we were wrong!  I don't know why they released it that way, but it worked.  the other two seasons were generally terrific too.

1 hour ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I've mentioned in the OP that this all about the stuff that's new this year. Some people don't do that, and list all the stuff that's new to them, but for me, it's just stuff from this year. Currently watching Babylon 5 for the first time, but I'm not putting that on my list.

Orphan Black Season 5 - such a great send of to a truly brilliant show :love: 

the Americans S5 - I have absolutely adored this season, the focus on family, and what that means really struck a chord. In particular I loved Elizabeth and Paige together. Particularly their training sessions.

Big Little Lies 

Sense8 S2

The Handmaid's Tale S1 

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S2

American Gods S1

GLOW S1

Catastrophe S3

Legion S1

Sneaky Pete S1

Master of None S2

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S3

The Last Kingdom S2

13 Reasons Why

Dear White People

I, Zombie S3

Fargo S3  

Orange is the New Black S5 

Hot Girls Wanted, Turned On

I Love Dick

House of Cards S5 

GOT S7 - it's a good mindless spectacle to watch but the writing is pretty sloppy/lazy and the characterisation is all over, which really takes away from my enjoyment of it. Some impressive CGI and cool looking scenes though.

[insert big gap here. Huge drop in quality between the top of my list and bottom]

A Series of Unfortunate Events S1

Taboo S1

Iron Fist S1

Riverdale S1 (goddamnit I get mad every time I see this list and realised I wasted part of my life watching this dreck)

DNF - Guerrilla, Santa Clarita Diet 

Added Game of Thrones. Tweaked a few others as I have now finished the season.
@SpaceChampion yep some of those are 2016, like Westworld and the OA.
Need to watch the Defenders still and then I will add that. As long a second it's better than Iron Fist...

Archived