Rank your 2017 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

Yup, GoT is over, and definitely not cracking my top 10. It'd be even lower if not for the visuals and the music.

1. Black Sails
  2. The Expanse
  3. Legion
  4. Sense8
  5. The Last Kingdom
  6. Agents of SHIELD
  7. Grimm
  8. The Defenders
  9. Star Wars Rebels
  10. House of Cards
  11. Homeland
  12. iZombie
  13. Killjoys
  14. Game of Thrones
  15. Iron Fist
  16. Sherlock
  17. Elementary
  18. Dark Matter
  19. The Walking Dead
  20. The Blacklist
  21. Arrow
  22. Brooklyn-99
  23. Designated Survivor
  24. Supergirl
  25. Legends of Tomorrow
  26. The Flash
  27. The Big Bang Theory
  28. Taboo

Absolutely bizarre to see a shows as exciting as GoT's season 7 ranked 14th on your list Corvinus. 

I see so many outright terrible shows in front of it as well, it's almost hard to believe you really feel this way. I would put this season at no.1 in terms of series that I have seen this year.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Absolutely bizarre to see a shows as exciting as GoT's season 7 ranked 14th on your list Corvinus. 

I see so many outright terrible shows in front of it as well, it's almost hard to believe you really feel this way. I would put this season at no.1 in terms of series that I have seen this year.

Not bizarre at all. As a book fan, I simply cannot be happy about what the show has become. This season has made a mockery of all that is good with ASOIAF. Bizarre were some of the plots in it, characters continued to be ruined, and the whole thing was ridiculously rushed. 

And I'm not sure what you mean by 'many' above it being outright terrible. Maybe a couple should be lower, but I stand by my list.

1. Gommorah

2. Taboo

3. GoT

Didn't finish Fargo, Better call Saul, didn't even start Homeland newest seasons. 

And Twin Peaks doesn't even look like Twin Peaks anymore even after some point from its second season, so I quit it after a try of 2-3 episodes of this year's season. This happens when you don't finish something when it's time to do so.

Gotta check Black Mirror though, can anyone vouch for last season?

Gomorra La Serie s2 and The Last Kingdom s2 are the ones I have loved the most so far this year.

Enjoyed Better Call Saul s3, The Americans s5, and Thrones s7 well enough.

Fargo s3 was kind of a let down looking back on it. 

Still want to watch American Gods and I'm looking forward to Vice Principals and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Top ten, thus far...

1-Black Sails

2-Game of Thrones

3-Sense 8

4-The Expanse

5- The Last Kingdom

6-The Defenders

7-  The Handmaid's Tale

8- House of Cards

9- Better Call Saul

10- The Path

Shows that could creep in that haven't aired yet... Snowfall, Outlander, Mr. Robot, Narcos, Stranger Things, Peaky Blinders, Punisher, The Terror, Damnation....

Honorable mention... Ozark, Legion, American Gods, Walking Dead, Lemony Snickets, Preacher, The Americans, The Magicians, Queen of the South, The Son, Orphan Black, Turn, The Last Ship, Into the Badlands, Feud. 

9 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Gomorra La Serie s2 and The Last Kingdom s2 are the ones I have loved the most so far this year.

Still want to watch American Gods and I'm looking forward to Vice Principals and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Aren't you a big Bryan Fuller fan? Suprised you haven't watched American Gods yet.

47 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Aren't you a big Bryan Fuller fan? Suprised you haven't watched American Gods yet.

I wouldnt say big fan. Hannibal is awesome though. I'm going to watch it for sure. I watched the pilot and enjoyed it and then just never got back to it for some reason. 

18 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Man you just made my day with Curb Your Enthusiasm. This is THE best comedy series ever. I just checked and Season 9 first episode airs on 01.10.17.  

1. The Handmaid's Tale

2. Better Call Saul

3. Game of Thrones

4. Orphan Black (pretty much tied with GOT in my mind; both had very good seasons with some flaws)

5. Master of None

6. American Gods

7. The Young Pope

8. Ozark (I couldn't get through it, but I acknowledge that the show has talent and isn't bad; it just wasn't for me)

9. House of Cards

I should be getting around to watching The Expanse season 2, the Defenders, and Legion soon, and I'm also excited to watch the new Rick and Morty and, of course, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Stranger Things

On 28.8.2017. at 11:34 AM, Calibandar said:

Game of Thrones has been an outright terrible show since season 5 (or arguably maybe even from the season 4 finale). What's bizarre is that it is still receiving so much praise.

What shows from Corvinus' list do you consider outright terrible? I haven't seen all of them, in fact I've only seen 4 out of those above GoT (still haven't had time to watch The Defenders), but out of the current or recent shows I have seen, I have a hard time finding those that are as bad as GoT. All I can think of is The Strain, some of the seasons of American Horror Story, The Blacklist and maybe The Walking Dead (and possibly Supergirl, because I've really disliked the first 5 episodes that I managed to get through, but I don't know if it gets better). 

13 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Game of Thrones has been an outright terrible show since season 5 (or arguably maybe even from the season 4 finale). What's bizarre is that it is still receiving so much praise.

What shows from Corvinus' list do you consider outright terrible? I haven't seen all of them, in fact I've only seen 4 out of those above GoT (still haven't had time to watch The Defenders), but out of the current or recent shows I have seen, I have a hard time finding those that are as bad as GoT. All I can think of is The Strain, some of the seasons of American Horror Story, The Blacklist and maybe The Walking Dead (and possibly Supergirl, because I've really disliked the first 5 episodes that I managed to get through, but I don't know if it gets better). 

Game of thrones has been excellent throughout. Seasons 6 and 7 have been very well received, certainly by me. I look at it as a very fast moving, movie version of the books. It shows the "highlights" of the story in a way that is extremely watchable. It's also very interesting to see how the plot develops after Dance with Dragons, something I've been waiting 18 years to see happen. In any case, I'd rate it as one of the 5 best shows I've seen, which means it find itself in the company of The Wire, The Sopranos etc.

IMO outright poor or boring shows from that list that should never be placed in front of any GoT season:

I Zombie, Killjoys, SW Rebels, The Defenders, Grimm, Agents of Shield, Sense 8, Legion.

And then for the rest, I would put Homeland a couple of tiers below GoT, but it's not a poor show of course, it's watchable, though the topic is not very interesting to me, rather bland. House of Cards and Last Kingdom are indeed very good and I would put those just below GoT. I also really enjoyed the Gomorrah show that is mentioned here, better than Narcos IMO.

I enjoy GoT as much as the next guy but it is not even remotely close to stuff like The Sopranos or The Wire. The quality of the writing since season 5 has ranged from average to poor; plot holes galore, paper thin characterization and often laughable dialogue. Having a big budget which results in high production values papers over these cracks. Take production values out of the equation and the weak writing is glaringly obvious.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Game of thrones has been excellent throughout. Seasons 6 and 7 have been very well received, certainly by me. I look at it as a very fast moving, movie version of the books. It shows the "highlights" of the story in a way that is extremely watchable. It's also very interesting to see how the plot develops after Dance with Dragons, something I've been waiting 18 years to see happen. In any case, I'd rate it as one of the 5 best shows I've seen, which means it find itself in the company of The Wire, The Sopranos etc.

IMO outright poor or boring shows from that list that should never be placed in front of any GoT season:

I Zombie, Killjoys, SW Rebels, The Defenders, Grimm, Agents of Shield, Sense 8, Legion.

And then for the rest, I would put Homeland a couple of tiers below GoT, but it's not a poor show of course, it's watchable, though the topic is not very interesting to me, rather bland. House of Cards and Last Kingdom are indeed very good and I would put those just below GoT. I also really enjoyed the Gomorrah show that is mentioned here, better than Narcos IMO.

I completely agree. It's a top tier show for me as well. 

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Thanks for clarifying you opinion. On the shows you've listed, I definitely disagree with you on Sense8 and Legion. While they are slow going in the early part of their seasons, they pick up nicely and have amazing pay offs. Plus they're beautifully shot, and have great characters and actors. I could maybe bump down Defenders on my list, but it left a good enough impression on me, that it's sitting there right now. Agents of SHIELD had an amazing series of episodes this year with the LMD and virtual world arcs, way above anything it has produced before. And the rest are solid entertainment for me, and I admit plenty of subjectivity. But even trying to judge all shows objectively, I don't think I can put GoT higher than 9 or 10 on my list.

5 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Game of Thrones has since the beginning of season 5 been possibly the biggest pile of garbage seen on TV outside of really bad telenovelas, reality shows and Donald Trump press conferences. It's like an idiotic, soulless, illogical, terribly written, offensive on many levels, mutated version of ASOAIF, made by someone who read a summary of the book plots on Wikipedia and then decided it needed to be further improved with more shocks and fanservice. I have much more respect for people who admit they enjoy watching it for tits, dragons, zombies and sword fights, than those who try to make it seem like it's still some sort of a not only good, but great show, inspite of all of its idiotic plots (including some of the worst and most illogical and insane plots ever seen on TV, like the Sansa Marriage Strike or Stannis burns his daughter because of a bit of snow and Ramsay's 20 Good Men), inconsistent characterization, poor worldbuilding, offensive cliches, terrible dialogue and lack of any narrative consistency. That includes the critics and Emmy voters who are trying to convince everyone that that shit smells like roses, because it's a big and popular show and HBO has a lot of clout. Sure, it has good actors, great music and a big budget, but none of this can cover the shitty writing at the core of it. I don't know how long the Emperor's New Clothes effect will continue, but I'm sure one day it'll stop, and then everyone will be wondering what the hell people were thinking in mid-2010s. Especially after we get the completion of the real and far superior story of ASOAIF, and not this really bad crackfic in TV form.

Now, I admit that I haven't actually managed to see either of the latest 3 seasons in their entirety - that's because I realized in early season 5 that watching the show had become a real chore and a torture for me, where I just cringe and roll my eyes throughout, wondering how much stupider and worse it will get as a piece of fiction, and how much more it will screw up the book series I love. But I've seen enough and know enough to see that it certainly does not get better. I'm just saying it to explain why you won't see it listed here, as I only list seasons I've seen from start to finish with no skipping.

I haven't seen all of the show  you listed (still not gotten around to The Defenders, but as for those I've seen, Legion and AoS:

Agents of SHIELD has had its flaws and issues - I've always enjoyed the show, but I could list many of them and I've had problems with some of the plots and episodes, mostly in the first 2 seasons, and there are some episodes in seasons 1 and 2 that I could place at similar level of badness in terms of writing as the latest seasons of GoT. But, come to think of it, even at its worst, AoS was way more enjoyable to watch than those latest seasons of GoT, it had a mix of mediocre, bad and amazing episodes within one season, some iffy plotting occasionally and poor dialogue, but even at its worst it still had way more character consistency, less nonsensical actions and motivations, and there was some stuff happening and character development even in the 'boring' early season 1 episodes, rather than characters pointlessly snarking each other and making dick jokes for hours until you can have a big battle in the penultimate episode that the fandom and critics will masturbate over. Female characters always managed to be complex and diverse and not a bunch of cliches, and have friendships and interesting relationships with each other rather than just always being catty, and when AoS had its own gay minor character, he wasn't treated as a joke or reduced to his sexuality. Heck, even when AoS had its own forced, rushed, tepid chemistry-free romance in season 3, it made a hell of a lot more sense than the show cardboard Jonerys, because it actually had characters having meaningful conversations and bonding over the things they have in common. But over the years, AoS has had an exact opposite trajectory to GoT - starting mediocre and getting better, unlike GoT, which started great but got worse and worse each year. This year, AoS has produced its best arc ever in the last part of the season and some of its best episodes, and has really elevated itself to a new level. None of the last 3 seasons of GoT have any business being placed close, let alone above season 4 of AoS, especially the part that aired this year.

I actually consider Legion somewhat overrated, as it is a bit of 'style over substance' and hasn't developed its supporting character properly yet, but it's still a good show that has interesting main characters and tells a coherent story in a highly original manner - unlike GoT, which tells an incoherent story in an uninspired manner.

Archived