Anyone else wish Gerion and/or Tygett were still alive?

Canon Claude

Given their stormy relationships with Tywin, I think it would have been really cool to see at least one of them still around to better showcase that Tywin was not the supreme leader that he wanted to be. Plus Tyg and/or Gerion would have been in a more interesting position to stand against their brother. And Tyrion could have had a real Uncle Iroh/Zuko thing with Gerion.

5 minutes ago, Praetor Xyn said:

There is a theory that

Hide contents

the Shrouded Lord is Gerion Lannister.

Whether that's true or not, I meant that I'd have liked if Gerion had never left in the first place and been both a sympathetic mentor to Tyrion and a thorn in Tywin's side

11 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

Whether that's true or not, I meant that I'd have liked if Gerion had never left in the first place and been both a sympathetic mentor to Tyrion and a thorn in Tywin's side

Agreed this would be awesome for sure Tyrion could have really used an "uncle Iroh" just with out the tea fetish :P

52 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

I'd be fine with this as long as the relationship between Tywin and Tyrion remains as it is.

41 minutes ago, Praetor Xyn said:

I'd be fine with this as long as the relationship between Tywin and Tyrion remains as it is.

If anything, it would be even more hostile given how much Tywin clashed with his younger brothers. Having a sympathetic uncle would probably make Tyrion more likely to defy his father and speak against him.

2 hours ago, Praetor Xyn said:

There is a theory that

Reveal hidden contents

the Shrouded Lord is Gerion Lannister.

There are also theories about him being others.

OP, yes I'd like that too. Hoping Gerion returns at some point. But I don't think fun uncle Geri would be pleased to hear Tyrion killed Tywin. Even if he was apprised of the circumstances that drove Tyrion to it, he'd probably still be upset about the kinslaying aspect.

It's pretty clear that Gerion was loved by all.  I do recall Jaime being livid when Sybelle Spicer indicates that a wife was promised for Raynald Westerling, and Jaime incorrectly assumes it was Gerion's bastard daughter Joy Hill.  Ser Raynald is the heir to the Crag, and Jaime still considers Joy too good for the young heir. 

10 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

There are also theories about him being others.

OP, yes I'd like that too. Hoping Gerion returns at some point. But I don't think fun uncle Geri would be pleased to hear Tyrion killed Tywin. Even if he was apprised of the circumstances that drove Tyrion to it, he'd probably still be upset about the kinslaying aspect.

Yeah, I agree.

In fact both Jaime and Tyrion seem to get along with their uncles, but Gerion in particular was well loved.

I think that it fits with the archetype of the cool-unconventional uncle that GRRM seems to be fond of.

We already have similar examles in other Houses, Rodrik Harlaw, Aeron Greyjoy, Benjen Stark, Oberyn Martell.

But given Genna's reaction to the news, I think that Gerion would be just as upset as her, when he finds out what Tyrion did.

As for Tygett, although he appears to be an interesting character, there is no way to return. He is dead, dead.

This was sort of my biggest issue with Kevan. He was too much like Tywin for my liking. Don't get me wrong he's much more kinder in some ways, but the way his mind works is clearly on the same wave length as his older brother, he just doesn't always take the most violent solution to solve problems most of the time.

Tywin's other two brothers seemed like much more interesting characters. Gerion seems like a really fun and beloved character, while Tygett seems like a skilled warrior. What I find strange is the fact that all of Tyrion's uncles seemed to have loved him, it was only Tywin and Cercie who despised him. I wonder how well Tywin got along with his brothers if this was the case.

If I could only chose one, it would be Gerion with ease. The guy seems like such an interesting character.

21 minutes ago, sifth said:

This was sort of my biggest issue with Kevan. He was too much like Tywin for my liking.

True. But I think Kevan might be that way because he got the hint after his brother bitch-slapped the Westerlands into shape. GRRM has presented a lot of different types of Bro no. 2, but Kevan seems to be the one who got on board with his Lord brother the most. (And he is the second born son, right?)

The only real drawback to bringing either of them back, particularly Gerion, is he might make the Lannisters as a whole a little too soft. They aren't supposed to be liked very much. GRRM doesn't do total villains, but they are pretty close. I think Tyrion and Jaime emerging from total-dick status is humanizing enough for them. 

That said, I do like the aformentioned theory that Gerion is still alive. And oh Iroh...ouch, right in the feels. 

I really think Gerion is going to show back up.  I agree it would have been cool to see him in the story already.  but I think that was deliberate choice for Tyrion's development.  He has practically zero allies in his family except Jaime, and when he found out Jaime also betrayed him (over Tysha) that was it for him and he was able to say 'ya know what, fuck this shit I'm bailing out of this whole country and killing my father on the way.'  If Gerion had been there his whole life being nice to him and sticking up for him he wouldnt be the same.  Part of Tyrions whole character is that he was treated like poo by everyone most of his life.

Archived