Video Games: Next Stop... Andromeda

Rhom

Old thread at 21 pages. 

I'm headed back into my FemmeShep ME2 run tonight.  I did not choose to repair her facial scars; so its kinda freaky when she has demonic glow coming from her eyes and her scars.  I mean lets be honest; the renegade option just kinda makes her a bitch... not straight up evil like she's starting to look!  :lol: 

Also all the talk of the Tales series in the last thread combined with my lack of any willpower whatsoever caused me to make a purchase.

I'm twice as far in as you are, and yes, Velvet is a damn good protagonist, as well as the whole cast is essentially pretty great. IMO, you should have perhaps played Zestiria before Berseria, though, since they are directly tied to each other because Berseria is Zestiria's prequel(events of Berseria happen several centuries before Zestiria's), and, honestly, seeing what was a grand ruin in Zestiria be a grand temple in Berseria was more than a little eerie. You've probably not arrived there yet, but the place is called Empyrenean Throne in Berseria(and the name it carries in Zestiria is a huge spoiler.)

I decided to pick up both Zestiria and Berseria.  Thought I'd be getting ToZ on the PS3... then saw that it is available on the PS4.  That's super convenient since it will allow me to use my Remote Play from the office some.

24 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Old thread at 21 pages. 

I'm headed back into my FemmeShep ME2 run tonight.  I did not choose to repair her facial scars; so its kinda freaky when she has demonic glow coming from her eyes and her scars.  I mean lets be honest; the renegade option just kinda makes her a bitch... not straight up evil like she's starting to look!  :lol: 

After my 2nd playthrough I never healed the scars. Straight up badassnesstisity

2 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

After my 2nd playthrough I never healed the scars. Straight up badassnesstisity

Yeah.  I figured if I'm going to go the Renegade route, no sense in it.  I honestly didn't know they'd start glowing though.  I was just leaving them there at first because I figured she was mostly dead.  You know at mostly dead, she's still partly alive...  If she'd been all dead, well there's only one thing you can do.

15 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yeah.  I figured if I'm going to go the Renegade route, no sense in it.  I honestly didn't know they'd start glowing though.  I was just leaving them there at first because I figured she was mostly dead.  You know at mostly dead, she's still partly alive...  If she'd been all dead, well there's only one thing you can do.

Between the eye glow and the yellow scars, every time someone gave me shit I was like "really? You're gonna try and tread on this scary as looking bitch?" And then I'd kill them.

I've decided for my transition of Dragon Age to PC that my definitive Hero of Ferelden will be a female Cousland, because then she gets to be Queen and gets to hassle Alistair for the rest of his life, and really the the boss of everything. I think a male Cousland marrying Anora would be less desireable, because she's been queen for a while and she would only be marrying for convenience and would not be letting go of any power to a minor noble who has no claim on the throne.

Not sure what to do with Hawke in DA2 though. I guess I should be on the side of human rights and support the Mages. But I don't agree with terrorism to achieve one's goals, so there will have to be consequences. I like the voice work for both male and female Hawke so I'm torn about which way to go. But I will have to romance Merrill, there's just no other option for me.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I've decided for my transition of Dragon Age to PC that my definitive Hero of Ferelden will be a female Cousland, because then she gets to be Queen and gets to hassle Alistair for the rest of his life, and really the the boss of everything. I think a male Cousland marrying Anora would be less desireable, because she's been queen for a while and she would only be marrying for convenience and would not be letting go of any power to a minor noble who has no claim on the throne.

Not sure what to do with Hawke in DA2 though. I guess I should be on the side of human rights and support the Mages. But I don't agree with terrorism to achieve one's goals, so there will have to be consequences. I like the voice work for both male and female Hawke so I'm torn about which way to go. But I will have to romance Merrill, there's just no other option for me.

I was always team Merrill with my male Hawke

34 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Oooooh... totally forgot this line:

"I was just waiting for you to finish getting dressed.  Or does Cerberus just let you whore around in that outfit?"

:rofl: 

One of my favorite random lines from the game. 

Conrad Verner to Sheppard-

"Sometimes I poke through crates, too. You know, for extra credits."

I just bought Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided since they were on sale. I've heard bad things about the latter, but I've also heard people just love the series. I have no idea what to expect. I started Mankind Divided, loved the music and atmosphere, and I played through the first cutscene and realized I better go get Human Revolution. We'll see...

6 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I just bought Deus Ex Human Revolution and Mankind Divided since they were on sale. I've heard bad things about the latter, but I've also heard people just love the series. I have no idea what to expect. I started Mankind Divided, loved the music and atmosphere, and I played through the first cutscene and realized I better go get Human Revolution. We'll see...

Mankind Divided is excellent. Some people got annoyed because the game has a built-in store to buy stuff (with real money), which I agree is lame. However, it is completely and totally 100% unnecessary. I didn't even realise the store existed until I finished the game.

The other issue is that people say the game ends on a cliffhanger, which isn't really true. The story in Mankind Divided is self-contained, but there are other factions/bad guys at large when the game ends and there are two more titles planned, which is pretty standard these days. Otherwise the game is longer than Human Revolution (and technically larger, although I agree it can feel smaller because there's only one large hub in MD rather than two in HR,but they're both pretty small).

All of that said, I think Human Revolution may marginally be better simply because it has more interesting and memorable characters, and the tighter direction at the start of the game makes it stronger narratively (hint: don't dick around searching the offices before going on your first mission in HR, the mission result can change depending on how long you delay starting it and you can loot your home base offices to your heart's content later on).

15 hours ago, Rhom said:

I decided to pick up both Zestiria and Berseria.  Thought I'd be getting ToZ on the PS3... then saw that it is available on the PS4.  That's super convenient since it will allow me to use my Remote Play from the office some.

I had heard not great things about Zestiria, which is why I was fine just getting Berseria. I wasn't even planning on getting Berseria either, I don't usually play Tales games, but the little I saw looked interesting. And there's not nearly enough games with female protagonists of any sort, much less one quite like Velvet. I'm maybe 12 hours in now, and I'm still quite happy with how the game's going.

Spoiler

I do sorta wish though that they weren't leaning quite so hard into how bad the Abbey secretly is (I'm up to the part where I need to assassinate the High Priest, but it turns out he's basically a drug dealer; so its okay). I think it would've been more interesting if, yes the Abbey is based on a bad initial deed (Arthur killing Laphi) and Velvet wants revenge; but that otherwise the Abbey really is doing good for people. I think that'd make the consequences of Velvet seeking to destroy it for more interesting.

As is, the Abbey is very popular (and has maybe done some good) and Velvet has hurt people in her quest for vengeance; but there's enough shady stuff going on that if the Abbey was destroyed that'd probably be a net good for everyone.

Also, I've reached the point of no return in XCOM-2. I've come around on the combat (not so much the meta-game though), but, like the first game, the devs didn't quite nail the difficulty curve. Once you get your first equipment upgrades, and so long as you stay on top of continuing to upgrade them, the enemies really lose a lot of their bite. My all-colonel squad rolling around with plasma weapons, WAR suits, and experimental ammo is just laying waste to everything. Even the Sectopods aren't scary.

Just a heads up, Total War: Warhammer is a part of the Humble monthly bundle for March.  Twelve bucks gets you the Steam code for TW:W (which is currently sixty bucks on Steam) and six or seven other games as well that are yet to be announced.

For reference, the February bundle that unlocked today contained X-Com 2, ABZU, Ryse: Son of Rome, Steamworld Heist, Okhlos, Project Highrise, and Husk, along with a sneak peak at a cool looking upcoming game called Hollow Knight and a Humble original called Oh, Deer.  Great value for twelve bucks.  Worth it just for X-Com 2.  I already own Ryse, but ABZU was on my wishlist.  Of all the games, the only one with a negative Steam rating is Husk.

On 02/02/2017 at 11:14 PM, Rhom said:

Oh that's great! I will tell you not to have too high expectations of Zestiria, though - in a similar, although much less severe way, it was rushed out like DA2(and also had budget problems to boot), so there are a lot of things that feel very unpolished(like, there is a very strong theme of sharing your burdens and it is literally thrown in your face so much, but it's more an annoying writing problem they hadn't had the time to polish than an actual drawback). However, the cast of Zestiria absolutely carries the game, since it is really amazing.

Berseria, on the other hand, had all the love it could have possibly gotten, and thus is a much, much more polished game and an experience to play. Personally, I still like Zestiria more, even if it is the weaker game.

On 2/3/2017 at 7:45 AM, Werthead said:

Mankind Divided is excellent. Some people got annoyed because the game has a built-in store to buy stuff (with real money), which I agree is lame. However, it is completely and totally 100% unnecessary. I didn't even realise the store existed until I finished the game.

The other issue is that people say the game ends on a cliffhanger, which isn't really true. The story in Mankind Divided is self-contained, but there are other factions/bad guys at large when the game ends and there are two more titles planned, which is pretty standard these days. Otherwise the game is longer than Human Revolution (and technically larger, although I agree it can feel smaller because there's only one large hub in MD rather than two in HR,but they're both pretty small).

All of that said, I think Human Revolution may marginally be better simply because it has more interesting and memorable characters, and the tighter direction at the start of the game makes it stronger narratively (hint: don't dick around searching the offices before going on your first mission in HR, the mission result can change depending on how long you delay starting it and you can loot your home base offices to your heart's content later on).

Yeah I loved Mankind Divided, probably my favorite game of last year. 

As for the two more titles thing.. yeah about that...http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon

Basically the franchise has been put on hiatus due to the poor sales of Mankind Divided, Eidos Montreal is working on the next Tomb Raider. At this point, the franchise may just be dead forever, optimistically we won't see another Deus Ex game for at least 10 years which sucks seeing how much meaning this franchise has to the industry, fans and myself. I blame Square, they truly botched every aspect of the release and development from the engine to the marketing. Truly a disaster looking back on it, its surprising the game came out as good as it did. 

Obsidian was once approached to do Human Revolution believe it or not, and seeing as how they are very much fond of these type of games, they are really the only hope for the franchise if Eidos Montreal is steered in a different direction because I sure as hell don't expect Square to bring it back of their own volition. 

On 2/3/2017 at 5:45 AM, Werthead said:

Ha, thanks, I literally stopped playing in the first room (I always have trouble getting into games), but I totally would have looted the shit out of everything. 

3 hours ago, Azzanadra said:

Yeah I loved Mankind Divided, probably my favorite game of last year. 

As for the two more titles thing.. yeah about that...http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon

Basically the franchise has been put on hiatus due to the poor sales of Mankind Divided, Eidos Montreal is working on the next Tomb Raider. At this point, the franchise may just be dead forever, optimistically we won't see another Deus Ex game for at least 10 years which sucks seeing how much meaning this franchise has to the industry, fans and myself. I blame Square, they truly botched every aspect of the release and development from the engine to the marketing. Truly a disaster looking back on it, its surprising the game came out as good as it did. 

Obsidian was once approached to do Human Revolution believe it or not, and seeing as how they are very much fond of these type of games, they are really the only hope for the franchise if Eidos Montreal is steered in a different direction because I sure as hell don't expect Square to bring it back of their own volition. 

The ONLY thing I don't like about the games so far is the main character seems kind of douchey. But I guess whatever. I hope they go forward with the series, I'm kind of liking it.

8 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

The ONLY thing I don't like about the games so far is the main character seems kind of douchey. But I guess whatever. I hope they go forward with the series, I'm kind of liking it.

Well, to be fair, he did lose his arms and legs and woke up to find they'd been replaced with mechanical replacements without his consent (at least I don't think they asked him...been a while since I played HR), so at least he has an excuse to be kind of a dick.

49 minutes ago, briantw said:

Well, to be fair, he did lose his arms and legs and woke up to find they'd been replaced with mechanical replacements without his consent (at least I don't think they asked him...been a while since I played HR), so at least he has an excuse to be kind of a dick.

Haha, I don't mind the dick part, just his facial hair, sunglasses, and haircut. But it's cool, what looks good to one looks bad to another. I thought the new Dracula design in Lords of Shadow (Castlevania reboot) was awesome, but I was kind of on my own there. I also think Geralt looks pretty sweet, but apparently a lot of non-gamers think I'm weird. 

Archived