Video Games: Next Stop... Andromeda

Rhom

My son has owned a DS and 3DS (actually I think I own 10% of it), so it would be a natural progression for him to get a Switch. But it will be some way down the track. I tried OoT on the 3DS and just couldn't get into it, so I am a bit leery of BotW as Zelda just might not be my groove. Still my son loved OoT so I am sure he's keen on BoTW.

The other problem is the fact that aside from OoT my son's 3DS went largely unplayed as he pretty much got his fill of Pokemon on DS and nothing else particularly interested him. So it is pretty hard to justify buying a Switch knowing that in all likelihood it will only be used to play one game. Having it double as a TV console could widen the scope of games we might want to play on it. If they do games like Xenoblade chronicles and Bayonetta on it to feed the TV console audience it might make it a better value proposition for us. We're probably a 50% chance of getting a Switch I suppose.

I've never really been into mobile gaming - had a 3DS that got very little use. But with a child on the way soon, I figure I'll be losing access to the tv a lot in the next few years. So being able to play on the screen when my TV is on "Dora The Explorer" will be handy - and then when the kids are in bed, I can then connect it to the TV. Also, even now my wife likes to go to bed early sometimes. So I'll be able to take the Switch to the bedroom and join her.

I did that a bit on the weekend, actually. It really is seamless how you can be playing on the TV and just pull the Switch from its dock and keep right on playing on the screen instantly. I agree that it's not quite as comfortable to hold while playing on screen. On the TV with a pro controller is definitely my preferred way to play. But on screen is perfectly serviceable.

Now someone just needs to convince Nintendo to layout the damn buttons in the correct configuration. ;)

14 minutes ago, AndrewJ said:

Now someone just needs to convince Nintendo to layout the damn buttons in the correct configuration. ;)

That's what I noticed with Zelda... the button configuration made no damn sense.  :lol: 

Finally was able to spend some time with Horizon Zero Dawn this weekend and find it to be really fun.  I'm not super far into the story, I don't think, but running around the world and killing robot animals is a lot of fun.  I'm even enjoying the collectible aspects of the game.  Plus, it is a very nice looking game.

If you have a PS4 and you like open world games, or just want to hunt robot animals, I would recomend this game all day.

My Xbox One controller has started having a really annoying drift issue with the left analog stick. I never had that happen with 5 years of a 360 controller or 18 months with a wired Xbox One controller; but after less than a year with this wireless controller and games that require precision are unplayable, while the rest are playable but annoying to do so. I ordered a new controller, it wasn't expensive, but I'm not thrilled about having to do so are about being mostly unable to touch around half my games until it shows up.

On the plus side, being restricted to mouse and keyboard games got me to start up to Stellaris again; which I'd be thinking about doing anyway. Damn, that game is fun; especially when it allows me to basically recreate common science fiction stories. I'm playing a long-lived, tropical-dwelling race that managed to become extremely technologically advanced; however nearly all the colonizable worlds near me were arctic or tundra worlds that I couldn't live on. I was starting to fall behind my neighbors in power, even though my technology was ahead of theirs. Fortunately, I found an arctic world with a primitive industrial-age race, which I slowly infiltrated and then annexed. Things weren't smooth at first, I was militaristic and spiritual; they were pacifist xenophobes.

I spent a fortune on propaganda broadcasts and building monuments, which eventually started changing their beliefs to my ways. I then sent them out to start colonizing the worlds around me, <smash cut to> well over half my empire is now the arctic race; who have been brainwashed and modified to exactly fit my needs and be happy about it. They aren't slaves, but they have almost no rights; meanwhile, the tropical race doesn't have every right available (my form of government is a divine mandate after all, not a democracy), but they have a lot and are the only ones who may have leadership positions.

And I now have my eyes on annexing a desert-dwelling race to colonize some of those worlds, which will start this process all over again. I am apparently the Prophets, slowly creating the Covenant; which was not my original plan.

Horizon is very, very good. Easily the best looking console game I've ever played to boot. 

I can't use the bow very effectively because I'm dog shit at aiming with an analog stick and the weakpoints on the machines are very small so you have to be precise. Even with the slow motion skills available I have a hard time hitting the mark. Luckily the stealth options are pretty good so I don't have to rely on the bow much. Also the other weapons give you plenty of ways to immobilize or otherwise weaken the big, dangerous enemies so you shoot fire arrows into their fuel tanks and shit. Awesome. 

I'm barely out of the starting zone and already it feels like there's so much to do, and more importantly none of it feels boring or repetitive. All the side quests have an actual story to them and I haven't come across one yet that seemed contrived, or that I was doing it just because. Although I did just get one to collect 3 boar pelts, which I thought was kind of funny. But if that's the only quest like it in the game it's fine. Reminds me of Witcher 3 in the sense that all the side content feels meaningful (so far anyway). There are a bunch of collectibles but those are totally optional as usual and I like that sort of thing anyway. Apparently when you have a full set of them you can trade it in in the main city for some special gear or something. Also helps that some of the collectibles are kinda funny. I'm picking up "Ancient Vessels" which "Depict artwork of the ancient world and must have been very dear to the old ones", and they're coffee mugs :lol: 

20 hours ago, Rhom said:

That's what I noticed with Zelda... the button configuration made no damn sense.  :lol: 

Apparently the Japanese usually have the right button as the main activate/ok button and the bottom one as cancel. So they've switched A and B around (compared to the XBox controller). But with the off-set thumbsticks, it doesn't really make sense to have it that way - as your main button isn't the closest one to the right thumbstick, where your thumb is frequently resting.

And then, just for the hell of it, they decided to swap X and Y as well. I got used to the A and B swap pretty quickly, as you're doing it constantly. But my brain has it ingrained that it's "X" to use the paraglider (and when you're falling, it even has a prompt pop up telling you to hit X). On numerous occasions now, I've been falling and hit what my brain thinks is the "X" button - only to hit Y and plummet to my death. :lol:

I just have to get it into my head that it's Y to paraglide. :)

45 minutes ago, AndrewJ said:

Apparently the Japanese usually have the right button as the main activate/ok button and the bottom one as cancel. So they've switched A and B around (compared to the XBox controller). But with the off-set thumbsticks, it doesn't really make sense to have it that way - as your main button isn't the closest one to the right thumbstick, where your thumb is frequently resting.

And then, just for the hell of it, they decided to swap X and Y as well. I got used to the A and B swap pretty quickly, as you're doing it constantly. But my brain has it ingrained that it's "X" to use the paraglider (and when you're falling, it even has a prompt pop up telling you to hit X). On numerous occasions now, I've been falling and hit what my brain thinks is the "X" button - only to hit Y and plummet to my death. :lol:

I just have to get it into my head that it's Y to paraglide. :)

Based on your description the A,B,X,Y button positioning matches the SNES controller. I think it was the original XBox that swapped the postion of both sets of buttons for some reason. 

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

For those doing the Andromeda Mission Briefings, the sixth briefing released today.  It discusses the seven "golden worlds" and the plan to colonize them.

I've only watched 4. How did I miss the 5th? Also the training hub website wasn't working on my home computer last time I opened it.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Based on your description the A,B,X,Y button positioning matches the SNES controller. I think it was the original XBox that swapped the postion of both sets of buttons for some reason. 

Ah - I had SEGA in my younger days. Never a NES?SNES. That explains it, then.

And I'm obviously biased in having learned the configuration from XBox. But it seems clear that the reason the XBox swapped the buttons is due to the inclusion of the thumbstick below the buttons. It means your thumb has less distance to travel from the thumbstick to the main button.

I think I recall hearing that in Japan the circle (right) button on the Playstation controller is the main button, with the X button as the concel. And it's reversed in the West.

49 minutes ago, AndrewJ said:

I think I recall hearing that in Japan the circle (right) button on the Playstation controller is the main button, with the X button as the concel. And it's reversed in the West.

Konami's games tend to agree with you.

5 hours ago, briantw said:

I don't know if anyone else here has played Valiant Hearts, but if you haven't...holy shit that game has an amazing ending.

Yes, yes it does.

I played Valiant Hearts, Brothers, and To the Moon all around the same time, and damn was that an emotional journey. I was kind of a wreck by the end of it. They're all telling different stories, but they are all fantastic.

6 hours ago, Fez said:

Yes, yes it does.

I played Valiant Hearts, Brothers, and To the Moon all around the same time, and damn was that an emotional journey. I was kind of a wreck by the end of it. They're all telling different stories, but they are all fantastic.

Haven't played Brothers yet (it's in my Steam library, but so are like 500 other games after 15 years), but I did play To the Moon and I agree that was very good, although I thought Valiant Hearts was much better as a game in addition to telling a better story.  I really liked the way the game integrated actual facts from World War I into the menu screens, and that the facts helped to frame the story and what was going on in the background during each scene.

Next up for me is LISA, which is apparently another devastating game. 

5 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Just found out that in Andromeda there will be a female Turian. This is the first time that we will be seeing one of these elusive creatures isn't it? If not then I completely missed it in the first 3 games.

A female Turian is in the 3rd one if you get the Citadel DLC.

Archived