Video Games: Next Stop... Andromeda

Rhom

19 hours ago, briantw said:

Haven't played Brothers yet (it's in my Steam library, but so are like 500 other games after 15 years), but I did play To the Moon and I agree that was very good, although I thought Valiant Hearts was much better as a game in addition to telling a better story.  I really liked the way the game integrated actual facts from World War I into the menu screens, and that the facts helped to frame the story and what was going on in the background during each scene.

Next up for me is LISA, which is apparently another devastating game. 

Valiant Hearts was definitely a much better game; but I'm not sure if its a better story. Doesn't matter though, both are fantastic. I thought Brothers was too, although getting used to having each analog stick control a different character took some getting used to.

I don't know LISA. I do know that That Dragon, Cancer is supposed to be way up there. I refuse to play it though, I can't deal with a story like that.

19 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

You have a female Turian as a temporary squadmate in the Omega DLC, I don't remember there being one in Citadel but it's been a while since I played it. 

Oh yeah, that. The only memory of a female Turian I have is at a bar on the Citadel. Doesn't Garrus try to hit on her? That's why I said Citadel DLC.

10 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Oh yeah, that. The only memory of a female Turian I have is at a bar on the Citadel. Doesn't Garrus try to hit on her? That's why I said Citadel DLC.

My GarBear wouldn't dare, he's spoken for. :P

Got Tali.  Wound up deciding I couldn't let Legion upload the Reaper code... :crying: 

Some of the Renegade choices have zero consistency.  Especially across games.  A big Renegade point choice in ME was to kill the Rachni queen... then in ME3 there's some Reaper constructed Rachni queen and the Renegade choice is to set it free.

Joker even commented on it.  "So you killed the totally rational queen, but the crazy one you let live?" :lol: 

I also feel that playing the Paragon choice gives you FAR more positive war assets than the Renegade.  I don't like that.  I feel they should be more balanced with an either/or kind of thing.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

There's also a female turian playable in ME3 multiplayer.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I also feel that playing the Paragon choice gives you FAR more positive war assets than the Renegade.  I don't like that.  I feel they should be more balanced with an either/or kind of thing.

I think it's more that a lot of Renegade actions have Shepard acting like a dumb brute, and making stupid choices very much should backfire.

The trailer look great... except for the music they picked. It both sounds bad and seems like it was mixed wrong, with the lyrics being completely overpowered by the rest of the audio. 

Which isn't a reflection on the game, but does hurt the trailer's presentation.

Anyway, Banner Saga 2 was awesome. Good timing, my copy of Horizon: Zero Dawn arrives from Amazon today :)

Banner Saga 3 smashed its Kickstarter target, so we'll be seeing the end of the saga (probably in about 18 months).

7 hours ago, Fez said:

The trailer look great... except for the music they picked. It both sounds bad and seems like it was mixed wrong, with the lyrics being completely overpowered by the rest of the audio. 

Which isn't a reflection on the game, but does hurt the trailer's presentation.

Honestly, he music made the trailer for me. I pre-ordered the game, but I'm feeling quite apprehensive about it.

8 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Honestly, he music made the trailer for me. I pre-ordered the game, but I'm feeling quite apprehensive about it.

Also liked the music actually...  :dunno: 

I preordered as well, but I'm more hyped for this game than anything in the last couple of years.  What has you apprehensive?

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Also liked the music actually...  :dunno: 

I preordered as well, but I'm more hyped for this game than anything in the last couple of years.  What has you apprehensive?

The overuse of that stupid, ugly Lancer rifle in this and other previews made me remember some of the bad stuff in ME 2 and 3.

A bit disappointed with the Bretonnian campaigns in TW: Warhammer. I just finished it with Bretonnia itself. I like the chivalry and peasant mechanics, but I didn't like that it was all about chivalry. I wish that after every milestone, some kind of quest to be triggered, because one thing that is lacking for the Bretonnian factions is missions/quests. The only quests you get are one for each legendary lord, and by the time you confederate with the other two, it's likely that the respective legendary lord already got there.

The campaign is challenging at first, but then it gets easy, since you can focus on beating any run o'the mill army to gain chivalry rather than conquering and holding territory, and unlike the other factions, confederating does not draw any negative penalties. It does become challenging when Chaos comes in full force, since they usually roll over the Empire, and then you have to scramble to defend your territory, plus to finish the game you have to march all the way to the Chaos Wasteland or Greenskin Badlands, depending on your choice. 

And siege battles are no friends for Bretonnians. I didn't think I could hate siege battles in this game even more, but when I see my re-enforcing army coming from the middle of the city rather than outside of it, I realized I was wrong, as my knights became pretty useless.

Still enjoying the hell out of Horizon Zero Dawn, but there are some weird little oversights in it that are beginning to bug me. The game throws crafting components at you like it's going out of style, and I'm constantly having to sell stuff to make more room in my inventory (even with all the upgrades to my resource storage capacity) but for some reason, the one component I am constantly running out of is Wire. It's one of the common ones, yet I can never seem to find enough to keep crafting precision arrows so I have to buy it from vendors. This wouldn't be a problem because I have tons of metal shards (basic currency) but for some reason you cannot buy in multiples. 

When you're selling, you can press square to bring up a slider to select how many of an item you want to sell, then just hold X once to sell that many. But to buy, you have to do it one at a time. So I just bought 200 Wire, and had to hold down the X button 200 fucking times. WHY? 

But man, I just got done using a stake driver gun to tie down a giant robot t-rex looking thing so I could shoot it in the heart with my bow...so goddamn awesome. Gonna go find another big guy and do it again. 

Thanks to an unexpected tax rebate, I've started looking at a new gaming PC to reply my system which exploded three months ago (I've been on a laptop since then).

It's not going to be a monster system, but it'll be a 1060 nVidia and 16 GB of RAM along with a reasonable SSD. What's annoying is that I can't go all out as much as I'd want (ideally a 1070 and 500 GB SSD). but I do have the scope to upgrade in another year or so.

On 10/03/2017 at 4:28 AM, Rhom said:

Got Tali.  Wound up deciding I couldn't let Legion upload the Reaper code... :crying: 

Some of the Renegade choices have zero consistency.  Especially across games.  A big Renegade point choice in ME was to kill the Rachni queen... then in ME3 there's some Reaper constructed Rachni queen and the Renegade choice is to set it free.

Joker even commented on it.  "So you killed the totally rational queen, but the crazy one you let live?" :lol: 

So you didn't set things up for the Geth and Quarians working out a peaceful coexistence on Ranoch? I can't bring myself to do a ME3 playthough where one side kills the other.

On 11/03/2017 at 11:13 AM, GallowKnight said:

Mass Effect: Andromeda Launch Trailer

Err bit of a spoiler there about

Spoiler

the 7 golden worlds.

Would rather have discovered that when playing.

Archived