Video Games: Next Stop... Andromeda

Rhom

56 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

He's for writing and dialogue and hated the third Witcher? Seems a crazy juxtaposition to me. 

Yeah, that game had absolutely fantastic writing.

Which was strange, because the writing in Witcher 2 often felt stilted and awkward to me.  They must have really improved their translation team between the two games.

I haven't played The Witcher 3 but stalled hard on Witcher 2 after encountering an unrecoverable bug and then realising I didn't give a shit about any of the characters or situations involved. I can see why people bounce hard off them (although W3 seems far more loved than the first two).

Apart from the Boob Mages, the combat and Geralt being one of the least interesting protagonists ever I thought Witcher 3 was pretty cool. Would have liked more Ciri. 

Probably enjoyed DA:I more overall. Witcher 3 beats the shit out of it when it comes to side content though. 

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I haven't played The Witcher 3 but stalled hard on Witcher 2 after encountering an unrecoverable bug and then realising I didn't give a shit about any of the characters or situations involved. I can see why people bounce hard off them (although W3 seems far more loved than the first two).

I bounced hard off The Witcher 2 as well, but I thought The Witcher 3 was a really solid game. Not my favorite RPG by any means, but definitely a really good one; and with the kind of epic story (using the original definition) that you don't really see in video games or any media anymore (except once in a while in literature). It was hurt by some design and gameplay decisions; but the writing was absolutely top notch.

For a reviewer who prioritizes writing and story over gameplay to not like TW3 is a really odd thing.

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The Witcher 3 was a vast improvement on the first two games in just about every way.  Probably the only thing way the second game was better was in the way it stayed more focused on the main story, which made sense as it was a much more linear game than the third.  The third game suffers in the way that many open world games do where there's an epic, pressing main story, but you'll get to that after you go pick flowers, go on treasure hunts, and help peasants for forty hours.

7 minutes ago, briantw said:

The Witcher 3 was a vast improvement on the first two games in just about every way.  Probably the only thing way the second game was better was in the way it stayed more focused on the main story, which made sense as it was a much more linear game than the third.  The third game suffers in the way that many open world games do where there's an epic, pressing main story, but you'll get to that after you go pick flowers, go on treasure hunts, and help peasants for forty hours.

This is my favorite part of open world games though to be honest. I love to go do all the side stuff that's available before moving on with the main quest. I want to do all the things and get all the collectibles. 

Currently having the same experience with Horizon. I did all the side quests (that I've found so far anyway), uncovered the whole map, got all the collectibles as of last night and I'm finally ready to continue the main story. Downside being the recommended level for my current main story quest is 15. I am level 47 :lol: 

13 minutes ago, briantw said:

I thought TW3 handled that pretty well actually. For the first three-quarters of the game, or thereabouts, Geralt has no idea where Ciri is, no idea how to find her, and not much idea of what level of danger she's in. The main quests in each of the three areas are in some ways gigantic side quests, that Geralt is only doing in the hopes of getting info about Ciri as a reward. He does; but he doesn't know for sure that he will when he starts. So its not that different from him doing other side quests as well, also in the hopes of getting info.

And since there isn't a really urgent ticking clock, as far as he knows, for most of the game; its not really that odd-seeming if he does his job and takes on Witcher contracts along the way (though I eventually had so much gold and better gear that I stopped bothering with those all together; also I just wanted to finish the game).

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

I thought TW3 handled that pretty well actually. For the first three-quarters of the game, or thereabouts, Geralt has no idea where Ciri is, no idea how to find her, and not much idea of what level of danger she's in. The main quests in each of the three areas are in some ways gigantic side quests, that Geralt is only doing in the hopes of getting info about Ciri as a reward. He does; but he doesn't know for sure that he will when he starts. So its not that different from him doing other side quests as well, also in the hopes of getting info.

And since there isn't a really urgent ticking clock, as far as he knows, for most of the game; its not really that odd-seeming if he does his job and takes on Witcher contracts along the way (though I eventually had so much gold and better gear that I stopped bothering with those all together; also I just wanted to finish the game).

And plays Gwent of course.

With the new PC arriving next week, I'll eventually check out DA:I (which I own) and The Witcher 3. Would like to finish Witcher 2 first through for completion's sake.

Actually replaying StarCraft at the moment on the laptop. Still fantastic mission design and unit balance. Although the Zerg are less fun than I remember. My Guardian/Mutalisk flying blobs of doom felt less effective this time around.

2 hours ago, Jasta11 said:

For reference, the RPS guy thought ME3's ending was great, so let's just say his tastes in writing and mine do not align in the slightest.

The original one, no less.  Not the modified one they put out.  ME:A MP looks...possibly like ME3's from a stream I watched.  Not sure how I feel about it, but its not really wowing me yet.  

I'm pretty much avoiding everything about it (other than this thread). Its the character connection that sold me on ME in the end and that's going to take time to see if its there. But I'll go in wanting and expecting to enjoy it.

9 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Well, I looked at that PC gamer review, and in the comments someone posted a clip of dialogue from in the game. Is this real?

Andromeda in game dialogue

I'm really tempted to cancel this...it looks bad

Those faces are just horrifying.  It's not the uncanny valley.  It's the uncanny Grand fucking Canyon.

Just now, Simon Steele said:

Lol. I know. I can't quit watching. It's horrifying. 

I just want to know how a team of AAA developers plays that and says, "Yeah, this is fine."

Like, did everyone who knew what the fuck they were doing quit BioWare?

Archived