Rhom

Video Games: Next Stop... Andromeda

429 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

To recap - if you're having doubts, hold off. You likely will not be satisfied until some of these issues are patched. On the other hand, if you're a Mass Effect junkie who also liked DA:I and doesn't mind a goofy facial expression or two, by all means go for it.

I'm a ME junkie who hated ME3's ending, liked DA:I well enough, don't mind goofy facial expressions, and am having doubts.  Please advise.  

32 minutes ago, MerenthaClone said:

I'm a ME junkie who hated ME3's ending, liked DA:I well enough, don't mind goofy facial expressions, and am having doubts.  Please advise.  

So far I'd say you'd probably enjoy Andromeda then.

13 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Horizon: Zero Dawn, despite the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad name is meant to be a very good game. And I'm sure it's a pretty decent time sink if you want it to be.

Nothing in that Andromeda montage really caused me any worries. Obviously zooming in and slow-mo'ing on faces is going to let you accentuate the negatives. But I don't play games zoomed in and slow-mo'd, so there is no way I would notice any of those flaws. Nothing deal breaking there for me. I was never likely to buy ME:A on day one, and I am not reordering my game priorities.

Yeah, my son's been talking about Horizon, I think. We'll look into that for sure.

I suppose my worries on Andromeda were already present after Mass Effect 3 felt like such a letdown to me. Not just for the ending but also for a number of things--one of the biggest was not utilizing the great crew I'd assembled and kept alive in Mass Effect 2. I always hear reasons/excuses why Bioware couldn't move on with that crew, but I think it's corner cutting. Either way, I've been on the fence--which sucks, Mass Effect 2 was one of my best gaming experiences ever.

3 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

To recap - if you're having doubts, hold off. You likely will not be satisfied until some of these issues are patched. On the other hand, if you're a Mass Effect junkie who also liked DA:I and doesn't mind a goofy facial expression or two, by all means go for it.

So this is a good way to look at it--I just could not get past in Inquisition how I could never make a Qunari Inquisitor look anything but idiotic. These kinds of issues take me out of the game every time I play. 

3 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Yeah, my son's been talking about Horizon, I think. We'll look into that for sure.

Can wholeheartedly recommend it. If I hadn't just played through both Banner Saga games I'd say it was the best thing I've played so far this year.

Speaking of which, minor spoilers that aren't even to do with the game itself really: 

LANCE REDDICK OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE!

20 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

Can wholeheartedly recommend it. If I hadn't just played through both Banner Saga games I'd say it was the best thing I've played so far this year.

Speaking of which, minor spoilers that aren't even to do with the game itself really: 

Reveal hidden contents

LANCE REDDICK OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE!

Great--I'll definitely look into it. I feel a big pull to go back to Mass Effect too. This is rough. I know I need to wait for reviews. I miss Commander Shepard. Maybe I should just go play Mass Effect 2?

My son is also interested in For Honor--but I think Horizon looks cooler.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, MerenthaClone said:

You sound exactly like me.

I'll add this: do you mind that this game plays more like a "shooter" than prior ME games?  You can still pause the action but the (silky smooth) combat mechanics encourage a more free-form approach.  

If this sounds appealing to you - I'd say get it.

ETA:  @Simon Steele 

I'd say definitely don't get this game if weird looking characters bother you that much. Cause that vibe is definitely there.

Edited by Ferrum Aeternum

Also worth mentioning with regard to Horizon, there is some bad lip syncing in it (particularly with side quest stuff, the main quest dialogue is usually fine) but nothing compared to what I've seen in the ME:A clips. If that stuff really bothers you though maybe check out some videos of Horizon's dialogue first. 

14 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

You sound exactly like me.

I'll add this: do you mind that this game plays more like a "shooter" than prior ME games?  You can still pause the action but the (silky smooth) combat mechanics encourage a more free-form approach.  

If this sounds appealing to you - I'd say get it.

ETA:  @Simon Steele 

I'd say definitely don't get this game if weird looking characters bother you that much. Cause that vibe is definitely there.

I'm not sure its that much more of a shooter than ME3, which was already pretty far down that road. The jumpjet does allow you to move around more, but the mobility still isn't like Titanfall 2 or Destiny or a COD; and sometimes you definitely still want to sit back in cover (unless you play vanguard with a shotgun only; like me). Not controlling party member powers is the biggest change I think, but IIRC in ME3 I never used that anyway and just let the AI decide; so to me the combat feels almost the same. Just with the jumpjet added.

I like the combat a lot. And even if the SP was complete trash, which its not, I think the game still might be worth it (though maybe only at a reduced price) for the fun I'd have in the MP.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

I'm not sure its that much more of a shooter than ME3, which was already pretty far down that road. The jumpjet does allow you to move around more, but the mobility still isn't like Titanfall 2 or Destiny or a COD; and sometimes you definitely still want to sit back in cover (unless you play vanguard with a shotgun only; like me). Not controlling party member powers is the biggest change I think, but IIRC in ME3 I never used that anyway and just let the AI decide; so to me the combat feels almost the same. Just with the jumpjet added.

I like the combat a lot. And even if the SP was complete trash, which its not, I think the game still might be worth it (though maybe only at a reduced price) for the fun I'd have in the MP.

I suppose that's true. ME3 is the game in the series I've played the least (by far) so that's probably some bias toward the first two games slipping in. Certainly you'll still use cover a good deal but the extra freedom of movement afforded by the jumpjet gives it a very different feel from the other games.

At any rate, it's a blast. I'm counting down the minutes til I get to play again.

2 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

I suppose that's true. ME3 is the game in the series I've played the least (by far) so that's probably some bias toward the first two games slipping in. Certainly you'll still use cover a good deal but the extra freedom of movement afforded by the jumpjet gives it a very different feel from the other games.

At any rate, it's a blast. I'm counting down the minutes til I get to play again.

This is very encouraging to me.

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

This is very encouraging to me.

Same. I figured going in that I could deal with the cutscene issues as long as the core gameplay delivered. Again, it is early, but no complaints thus far in that department.

Perhaps I should take half a...paid vacation day and get some more time in this afternoon?  :leaving:

I'm about 4 hours into Horizon, and I have to say, I'm really liking it so far.  I don't even have any real nitpicks.  They nailed a lot of stuff here.  The bow mechanics are great, quest tracking is good, maps are good, skill trees seem manageable, and the game is beautiful visually.

Granted, i just started it, but so far I'm really liking it.

21 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Same. I figured going in that I could deal with the cutscene issues as long as the core gameplay delivered. Again, it is early, but no complaints thus far in that department.

Perhaps I should take half a...paid vacation day and get some more time in this afternoon?  :leaving:

I mean sure... if you want to cheat your employer out of their hard earned money, you could take payment for doing nothing like some sort of communist.

24 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I mean sure... if you want to cheat your employer out of their hard earned money, you could take payment for doing nothing like some sort of communist.

Took Thursday and Friday off next week:commie:

2 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Took Thursday and Friday off next week:commie:

And as long as you don't expect pay for that, I say enjoy!!! :lol: 

44 minutes ago, Rhom said:

And as long as you don't expect pay for that, I say enjoy!!! :lol: 

I fully expect pay for my vacation, because...umm, they told me I had that when they hired me. ;) You're just on overzealous, Scrooge-like taskmaster, Rhom :P

Yep, I'll be getting paid to go out of town for a night and play Mass Effect the next day. Best money I've ever made :P

This game is really interestingWartile is a skirmish-based Viking-esque tactics game influenced by miniatures. Each mission takes place on what is effectively a diorama with you moving miniature-like units around hexes and getting into battles. You level up between missions and can customise your units. The visual style is absolutely fantastic.

It is real-time though, which is weird. The game looks like it really should be turn-based, at least for combat.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

This game is really interestingWartile is a skirmish-based Viking-esque tactics game influenced by miniatures. Each mission takes place on what is effectively a diorama with you moving miniature-like units around hexes and getting into battles. You level up between missions and can customise your units. The visual style is absolutely fantastic.

It is real-time though, which is weird. The game looks like it really should be turn-based, at least for combat.

Looks just like Heroscape. Which is really awesome. Or would be if it weren't real time. Shame :\