TTTNE (v.468) AB I - a title of one's own

HexMachina

50 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yuge price differences. Yuge.

Oh at the first chance I get I'll be doing that. Microsoft Office infuriates me and I hate Windows 10, I hate it so much. 

Apple is even worse than Microsoft.  Vote Anarchy and go Linux.  I've never looked back since installing that.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

Turns out my computer only has the code for Windows seven on it, not for Office, so I can't reinstall it. So I'm trying out some free alternatives.

Apache Open Office.   - although it looks in layout more like office 2007.  (no ribbon thing at the top)  

also if you do use and and send a lot of files to other people,  set your default to save as Microsoft format.

I'm still on W7. I plan to maybe one day experiment with Linux.

I just don't like the way Apple do they're thing, if something breaks that's it, you don;t repair it, you just get a new thing. Also the cultish fervor they build in some people puts me off. It's just a phone dude, you don;t need to queue overnight for it.

Apache is what I'm on now, quite liking it so far.

23 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not at all. It's the bathing in blood at the full moon you see. Very good for the complexion, terrible for ageing the mind.

I do hope it's fresh blood of a virgin? My doctor tells me it's great for your hair.

23 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

6 hours by train. Less with a car, obviously, but that means you have to be able to afford a car and trust your own driving such distances, which I don't. Going back to see the family every one and a half to two months for a few days is just about right at the moment.

Ouch, that's a lot. Even my most distant relatives live closer to me than that. I hope you figure something out.

Just now, First of My Name said:

I do hope it's fresh blood of a virgin? My doctor tells me it's great for your hair.

Ouch, that's a lot. Even my most distant relatives live closer to me than that. I hope you figure something out.

When I can get it. But in this age of sex-driven whippersnappers sometimes I have to settle for less than the best

33 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I'm really not good with technology so you'll have to forgive me for not knowing what a Linux is. It sounds painful and intrusive.

Its an operating system for your computer.  Like Windows, but different.

Its also open source ( so anyone can copy / add / modify the code and make a new version)  and its totally free.

but yes its not that good for games.    but if you basically just use your computer for  office like programs and the internet, then it works really well.

My experience so far,  its far more stable than windows ever was.  and uses less resources (computer runs faster).   oh and Hubby has not yet worked out how to screw it up.    So it does every I need better than Windows did.

54 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Its an operating system for your computer.  Like Windows, but different.

Its also open source ( so anyone can copy / add / modify the code and make a new version)  and its totally free.

but yes its not that good for games.    but if you basically just use your computer for  office like programs and the internet, then it works really well.

My experience so far,  its far more stable than windows ever was.  and uses less resources (computer runs faster).   oh and Hubby has not yet worked out how to screw it up.    So it does every I need better than Windows did.

Sounds good. That's really all I use my computer for so I'll keep it in mind

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yuge price differences. Yuge.

Oh at the first chance I get I'll be doing that. Microsoft Office infuriates me and I hate Windows 10, I hate it so much. 

You don't count, you're a Sith already :P.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

I'm still on W7. I plan to maybe one day experiment with Linux.

I just don't like the way Apple do they're thing, if something breaks that's it, you don;t repair it, you just get a new thing. Also the cultish fervor they build in some people puts me off. It's just a phone dude, you don;t need to queue overnight for it.

Apache is what I'm on now, quite liking it so far.

Apple make great computers, OSX is a great operating system imo, iPhones though, meh.

36 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

We were beginning to wonder if you'd crashed your car again. 

Of course she has-the sun will rise in the morning, princess pompelmo will crash her car at least monthly, it's one of those things that just will never change.

4 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Sounds good. That's really all I use my computer for so I'll keep it in mind

It can be a bit hard to set everything up at first and get your printer ect working.  you need some googlefu skills.  but once done its stable.

If your not computer savey I recommend having a friend available to help you.

47 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

You don't count, you're a Sith already :P.

Oh stop, you'll make a young girl blush! Such a flatterer

42 minutes ago, Pebble said:

It can be a bit hard to set everything up at first and get your printer ect working.  you need some googlefu skills.  but once done its stable.

If your not computer savey I recommend having a friend available to help you.

As if there was any chance I'd have tried to do it myself :P IT challenges my capabilities 

6 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

As if there was any chance I'd have tried to do it myself :P IT challenges my capabilities 

well 99% of stuff on it is not that hard.  but I would say that I work in IT.

Often its a case of googling   Printer model number  + Linux (type)  then following the instructions word for word.  (which is normally  - copy this file to your PC save in this location.   Open terminal (an application - this is where you change bits of your computer set up)  type the following text    CXXXXXXXXXXX   press enter.

close terminal   - all done.

It sounds far harder than it is.     and if you where living closer to me, I'd be more than happy to come round and do it for you if you would provide a mug or cup of tea while I'm there.

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Lawyer-check, owner of hop hop-check, I can practically picture a small you being kicked out of youngling school in the first lightsaber training lesson when you turned yours on and it was red.

On another note, where is the sun?, it must hurry up and come out so I can take my bike out for the first time this year, providing it starts anyway, if not I will have to lower myself to calling one of my friends and fluttering eyelids.

10 hours ago, First of My Name said:

Eh, it works. I do not miss them most of the time at that stage. Obviously I am happy to see them when I do, but it is not like I have to every weekend.

Archived