Would you want the Iron Throne?

PrinceHenryris

That would completely depend on the situation.

If I was in Riverrun and my bannerman named me "King of the Rivers", then I would definitely go for the big prize.
Reason: If I do not go for the big prize, my lands will be continuously plagued and attacked by the surrounding countries. The same goes for the reach. The stormlands

Now, if I were proclaimed "King of the Vale", KOTN or "King of Dorne", then I would most likely try to consolidate. All of these areas are relatively easy to defend. Me, my bannerman and their subjects would have had less problems creating a decent life for themselves.

The Westerlands, I'm not so sure of, since it's capital is protected by mountains and an army could effectively only attack from either the south, or via the mountain pass that is guarded by the Golden Tooth.
However, I also believe that the Westerlands aren't quite capable of maintaining their population by themselves, it seems like they need to import quite a lot of food from the reach.

The stormlands are also relatively easy to defend. Most of its cities are protected by the mountains, it's capital is however easy to attack from the north (but almost impossible to take by force).

If I was king of the Crownlands, well, I guess that would make me Joffrey (but quite a bit smarter and most definitely a lot less cruel). I would try to restore the peace. Yes, that would include the killing of 2 Baratheon kings and the submission of their people, but peace with the North would not be impossible. Releasing Eddard, Sansa and Arya in exchange for Jaime and his cousins, and trying to find out why Tyrion was arrested/kidnapped. Then, I would ask Tywin to launch an attack on the Ironborn. He would of course be helped by the North and the Westerlands, but I would suggest a Tywin treatment for these ravers and rebels, as it is clear that they will never stop reaving and rebelling.

Aegon conquered Westeros under the idea that his dragons will always bail him out. In matter of fact he had to be convinced to surround KL with walls and to set up the KG. He didn’t even bother to take the richest, the most populous or the most fertile region in Westeros and instead he settled to the region no one really wanted which also happens to be one of the less powerful ones in Westeros (ie the crownlands).

That became a bit of a problem when the dragons died. The Targs became more dependent on their Wardens to raise armies and keep the law. That feeling frustrated many Kings including Egg who found himself having to compromise and bow more to his wardens wishes. Don’t take me wrong, the concept of a unified Westeros was strong and it survived even the end of the Targs. Apart from some xenophobic Northern men nearly everybody saw the wisdom to unite under one banner which in turn encouraged trade and made them strong enough to resist foreign invasion. There again, the idea of a king with absolute power was becoming redundant, with houses ganging with one another to be able to depose a king if needed or forcing him to marry one of their own. Case in point was Robert and his two sons who didn’t really had a say on whom to marry.

If you ask me, Id rather be the Warden of the Westerlands then the king. 

Depend. I have any reasonable claim or I'm just one random ambitious lord?

If I were a Greyjoy, Arryn, Martell or so forth I would prefer independence and let the others fight for the Iron Throne.

Without any legal claim my cause would be doomed, none of the Seven Kingdoms alone have power enough to conquer and rule all of Westeros.

No. The Iron Throne puts a target on your back. It doesn't matter if you are a good, wise, kind and noble, those who are not like you and want power will always plot against you. It also doesn't matter if you rule with an Iron fist ( forgive the pun ). If you are strong, cruel, show no mercy to your enemies or don't give a flying fuck about the smallfolk... people will want you dead. 

The best thing to do is to be the man behind the King. The one who is pulling all the strings but doesn't want others to know about it. If you are really good at manipulation you can even convince the King that you are nothing more but his loyal servant. 

Neither. I've never really craved power. I would rather have money and security. 

I find it funny that the Arryns of the Eyrie look down on the Arryns of Gulltown for marrying merchants. I would much rather be an Arryn of Gulltown or the owner of a brothel or vineyard.

If ASOIAF taught me anything.....it's that absolute power corrupts. It is my great hope that the institution of the Iron Throne be  eventually dismantled.....no man or woman should have so much power.

13 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

It's the War of the Five Kings era.  Would you just claim a kingdom and consolidate your power or try for the big prize?

Neither. I would stay at Greywater Watch where I belong. The safest place to be. Not even a raven can find me. Lord Reed makes sure of that. When Maege Mormont showed up I shared my hearth with her, ate lizard lion soup & fire roasted frog legs. Then we attended a gathering of the crannog clans to discuss how to rid the north of Boltons and whether we should help Stannis. When the topic of the Others came up Lord Reed said not to worry. The CotF and the old gods will deal with them.

I say let the Lords continue to play their games of thrones, fight among themselves and squabble over who will sit their arse on the Iron Throne. They can keep their filth, corruption and mayhem. Me, I got me food, clothing, shelter, peace of mind and lots of bog devil friends and the Isle of Faces greenseers looking out for me.

And iffin that girl with her little dragons, Dothraki horse riding horde, sellswords, and eunuchs try to enter our swamp, well now, we crannymen and women gots a few sprises for dem. :devil:

1 hour ago, The Pimp that was Promised said:

. It is my great hope that the institution of the Iron Throne be  eventually dismantled.....no man or woman should have so much power.

The alternative for the Iron Throne is a elective monarchy(like the Holy Roman Empire) or a aristocratic republic(like the maritime republics). Both proved quite inferior compared to absolute monarchies of the time.

There is also the lack of legitimacy that the new government would face. Without a Iron Throne, what keep all the lords from declaring independence?

Before the falling of the Shields I would much rather be lord of Hightower. Amazing city, real power and recognition(unlike Hand ot King), massive fortress, big fleet, focussed on trade. And I'm just left the f alone. I get to rule my sizable lands, have the Citadel at my disposal. Sounds great. 

However the giant pirate/Viking fleet at the mouth of the Whispering Sound I might have to delay those plans. I'd might be on my way to Dorne/Aegon to ask their aid, promise Randyll Tarly Bitterbridge, I don't know. 

There's no reason to want the IT. It's way to dangerous. 

12 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

Respectable.

Thanks.

Many people in various places assume that if they held power they could change the world in whatever way they wanted. But few if any of them have every held any position of political authority and so don't have an idea about how hard it is to be run even a minor organization.

**** no!

First of all I don't believe in fielding armies and ravaging the country side to gain personal power.

Second of all it's a tacky, uncomfortable chair surrounded by schemers and power brokers.

Thirdly, if I was in a position to feasably make a bid for the Throne (i.e. rich and powerful enough/member of a family that's rich and powerful enough) I'd take my wealth and hightail it to Essos (preferably Lys or Tyrosh where I'd open up a theatre/whore house and sit out the entire war, and the incoming invasion by the dragon girl, and the incoming invasion by the Others, and the War for the Dawn, and the multi-year winters.

Frack all that.

"I have made more mistakes than you can possibly imagine," Ned said, "but that was not one of them." 

There's a difference between wanting the Iron Throne and actually having to 'sit' it. Winning the Iron Throne would be a big mistake. Robert won it and hated the role. He was terrible at it too. Not many Targaryens did well as, or enjoyed being, monarch. Wise Maester Aemon knew the score.

Archived