What would you change about the show?

Feologild

If you had the chance to change one thing or many things about this show. What would you change about it ?

Personally i like the show the way it is. So i would not change anything. Of course this may be because i have not read the books. But i am planning to read them. Just have not gotten around doing it yet.

4 hours ago, Feologild said:

If you had the chance to change one thing or many things about this show. What would you change about it ?

Personally i like the show the way it is. So i would not change anything. Of course this may be because i have not read the books. But i am planning to read them. Just have not gotten around doing it yet.

Well i would love it if had more episodes/season...like 20 should be nice. That's my main issue with the show, its just too short for the epic story that A song of fire and ice is.

15 hours ago, Feologild said:

Sometimes I wish I had never read the books. I used to love the show, especially the first three seasons, then I watched the 4th, which I liked but not that much, and decided to read the books. I loved them, more than the show, but still liked it, wanted to enjoy it, to be surprised by it, but of course, my interest was to see a proper adaptation of books 4 (and 5?) in Season 5 bc I had just read them. I had a huge disappointment.

It was nothing like what I have read, it was like they had adapted random scenes of the books, but not the story. In fact, I was in denial. I don't want to spoil anything to you but I rewatched clips so as to see something more when Mance was being burned, I tried to see the Dorne story in the trailer, I was thrilled when I saw the Hall of the Faces in Arya story (oh, something that happened in the books...at least, the hall seems authenthic......). I was still in denial until the fall of 2015 in fact. I didn't want to believe that I had seen was bad, but deep inside I knew it had nothing to do with the books. When reading the books I realised that the stories of my fav, Bran and Arya had been cut, and I'd have probably not liked it if I had been a reader firstly, but there was still a very similar story, but beyond season 5, nothing was the same, almost any story. KG and The Wall were simple adaptations, probably the ones more similar to the books. But that's being very forgiving.

I was lucky I didn't care much about the plot of Jeyne Westerling, because if I had liked it I would have noticed a great difference as well. There are some other examples.

So, answering the OP, in generlal terms:

-giving more time to other characters that are not the 4 main ones IN the show: Cersei, Jon, Dany, Tyrion as they used to

-Writing Tyrion as they used to, not instructing slaves how to eliminate it, not more empty dialogues of cocks and drinking...

-Cohesion with the invented decisions

I'd change it in the same way I'd like the books to have a slightly different focus. More politicking and scheming, less dragons and magic. More ordinary people (by ordinary I mean main characters not peasants in general) playing the roles of gods and heroes from the ancient myths, less weapons of mass destruction that you can't fight against in any way, shape, of form. In a way, I wish it was more like The Wire, and I wouldn't really mind if I never saw a dragon in the show ever again (or at least keep them at the bare minimum).

Then again, I doubt that anyone would want to watch that. It would surely not be nowhere near as popular as it is now, if it would be popular at all.

Dorne. Even when compared to the books that storyline was/is awful. if we have to connect the storyline to pre-existing characters then have Bronn sell out to Cersei and play the role of Oakheart and have Elaria take Darkstar's role, and only Darkstar's (as much as that derails her character when compared to the books). She can still kill Myrcella and Trystane if it has to be, but she gets punished for it, not celebrated.

But Arianne definitely gets introduced and it would be her and Doran who invite Olenna over in the season finale.

And maybe dress the characters in more than just their heraldic/signature colours. Lena heady looks good in green, why force red and gold on her, when it doesn't suit her?

I agree Dorne, Sansa, and Shireen. Super interesting storylines. Espcially with Doran and Young Griff and Golden Co. No way Stannis burned Shi-Reen. Giving Sansa to Ramsay is some HBO liberal stupid shit. Lil Finger knows her value and wouldn't giver to a fucking savage like Bastard of Bolton as a play thing. And the Sand Snakes just stab Prince Doran???? Fuck that seriously. Stannis is a just man too, never would kinslay unless he had justification. #StannisLivesMatter 

There are many things to me but the one that stands out the most is the show destroyed Sansa's character beginning in season 3 and in fact turned her into a submissive to her family's enemies which culminated in her willingly marrying a Bolton, so the show runners could rape her character and put the blame on her by claiming she made a choice as a "hardened woman".

They still continue her ruin in season six by having her lie to Jon, witholding info that may have led to her baby brother's death, almost Jon's too and did for thousands of their allies. To top it off, she is still buddy buddy with her pimp (LF) and architect of her suffering. He in fact, proposed marriage to her at the end of last season and she did not exactly tell him a flat out "no" either. I fear that may yet be a possibility or an offseason happening. Her character is that messed up on this show.

Exactly, I felt the same way. In the show LF seems like a pimp but in the books he's way more protective of her maybe b/c how he felt for Cat but I can't trust him still. Literally makes no sense to marry her to the Bastard of Bolton, gets abused, "gets stronger", lies, leaves, then gets her pimp to bring the Army. Yea, she viciously let the dogs eat Ramsay but he got off too easy i think still 

I would have probably cut Dorne completely. If you needed an army to help Dany all you needed was one scene of one of her lieutenants trashing the Lannisters after Oberyn's death. It felt like Dorne was just an excuse to give Jamie something to do without traveling around on a crash course to Lady Stoneheart. I probably wouldn't have even Brienne in the North. 

Just have Jamie and Brienne go on an adventure through the Riverlands "looking for Sansa". They take back Riverrun and get a tip off that she's up North and Jamie can tell her to go without him so he isn't forced to choose between keeping his word and honoring his family. 

I think alot of the shows problems stem from LSH being cut and it killing the momentum of alot of characters in season 5. 

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

I would have probably cut Dorne completely. 

It felt like Dorne was just an excuse to give Jamie something to do without traveling around on a crash course to Lady Stoneheart.

Not only Jamie but Bron as well, when they realized Bron was becoming a very popular character… Add three major casting errors for the Sand Snakes and we got the weakest episodes of the series…

I would change the series they say it is based on! Instead of saying that it is an adaptation of the series A Song Of Ice and Fire and instead I would say that the story is derived from characters and stories imagined in A world of Ice and Fire. I would definitely admit it was inspired by AsoiaF  but as the series is only half completed it is really just a take on it that was well portrayed when they had proper source material but unfortunately evolved into a dystopian impressionist attempt at  sort of honouring the author by way of an homage to the themes the showrunners ascribed to the Author.

On 5/2/2017 at 0:02 PM, lancerman said:

I would have probably cut Dorne completely. If you needed an army to help Dany all you needed was one scene of one of her lieutenants trashing the Lannisters after Oberyn's death. It felt like Dorne was just an excuse to give Jamie something to do without traveling around on a crash course to Lady Stoneheart. I probably wouldn't have even Brienne in the North. 

Just have Jamie and Brienne go on an adventure through the Riverlands "looking for Sansa". They take back Riverrun and get a tip off that she's up North and Jamie can tell her to go without him so he isn't forced to choose between keeping his word and honoring his family. 

I think alot of the shows problems stem from LSH being cut and it killing the momentum of alot of characters in season 5. 

Oh, I completely agree with that

2 hours ago, Neds Secret said:

I would change the series they say it is based on! Instead of saying that it is an adaptation of the series A Song Of Ice and Fire and instead I would say that the story is derived from characters and stories imagined in A world of Ice and Fire. I would definitely admit it was inspired by AsoiaF  but as the series is only half completed it is really just a take on it that was well portrayed when they had proper source material but unfortunately evolved into a dystopian impressionist attempt at  sort of honouring the author by way of an homage to the themes the showrunners ascribed to the Author.

Yeah, I'd change the titles: "Used to be based on AsoiAF, now a deviation with the names of the characters"

2 hours ago, Neds Secret said:

Adaptation doesn't mean creating a carbon copy of the source material. It means taking elements from the source material and changing them to fit into the appropriate medium. It could be many elements, or only a few. Either way, GOT will always be an adaptation of ASOIAF.

5 hours ago, Dragon in the North said:

Adaptation doesn't mean creating a carbon copy of the source material. It means taking elements from the source material and changing them to fit into the appropriate medium. It could be many elements, or only a few. Either way, GOT will always be an adaptation of ASOIAF.

Thank you so much for this comment. I was already typing when I read that you had written perfectly what I had in thoughts. It is allways the same discussion about every book that was ever filmed. It happend to The Lord of the Rings and also Harry Potter just to name a few, that became popular. And this "book-purists" just don't seem to understand that Cinema is a complete different art than books. Only cause it sounds cool in the books, does not mean it will work on big screen.

And it is alwaaaaays the same: "this is not the books", "this is not what happend in the books", "the character in the books is so much different", "oh they ruined it", "they cut that...they cut this...". And then of course "this is not an adaption of the books". I am very sorry, If I may sound rude, it is not my intention, but you are not the only people who do this. It is been done, since "Gone with the winds" was made a movie. And the problem are not (allways, there are of course exceptions) the filmmakers. The problem is that those people don't understand that the plot and the script for cinema is based on visualisation not imagination. 

If you bring cinematographic arguments, that is fine. But you can not compare book to tv by same standards. They are two very different arts. And only cause you don't like the show, does not mean that it is not an adaption. 

Now back to the topic :rolleyes:

I did not enjoy Dorne at all. If you would cut Dorne completely, the Show would not be much different. I would just went straight to the point where they make an alliance with Danny and introduce Dorne at that moment. We know from Oberyn, that they hate the Lanisters because of Ellia Martel. Plus you have the killed Oberyn as another (and for the viewers rememberable) reason for Dorne to start a war with Kings Landing. It would also be a more shoking momemt to see Varys talking in the last episode with Doran, and introduce the new player, who was long forgotten. 

On ‎5‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 6:45 PM, A Ghost of Someone said:

There are many things to me but the one that stands out the most is the show destroyed Sansa's character beginning in season 3 and in fact turned her into a submissive to her family's enemies which culminated in her willingly marrying a Bolton, so the show runners could rape her character and put the blame on her by claiming she made a choice as a "hardened woman".

They still continue her ruin in season six by having her lie to Jon, witholding info that may have led to her baby brother's death, almost Jon's too and did for thousands of their allies. To top it off, she is still buddy buddy with her pimp (LF) and architect of her suffering. He in fact, proposed marriage to her at the end of last season and she did not exactly tell him a flat out "no" either. I fear that may yet be a possibility or an offseason happening. Her character is that messed up on this show.

Agree with all that. I would add they ruined her even more in episode 9 of season 6 having turned her into the exact opposite of her book counterpart into a completely new character (Asnas?) who fed a restrained prisoner to his dogs and smiled about it. Gag. Sounds exactly like her sister Arya (who's supposed to be her opposite) and also exactly like Ramsay himself. I'm really disappointed because Sansa used to be one of my favourite characters. It's as if the show insists that all the female characters have to be badass (Arya, Brienne), sex sirens (Mel, Margaery) or a bit of both (Daenerys). Those who aren't tend to get killed off (Cat, Myrcella, Shireen).

Also agree that Dorne is worst of all and the worst scenes from the entire series so far IMO are Faullaria and the Sand Fakes avenging the barbaric murder of members of the Dornish royal family by barbarically murdering the remainder of the Dornish royal family (also committing multiple kinslaying in the process) and the guards just standing there and letting them become the new rulers.

From season #5 the #1 thing I would have changed about Dorne is to not have Myrcella die on the boat with Jaime. Let the viewers enjoy one nice scene in that finale, let one totally good female character live, and let Cersei see her daughter again. Myrcella didn't have to be killed off so soon. (This would have been far more logical - Faullaria only just swore allegiance to Doran, admitted to Jaime that Myrcella had nothing to with Oberyn's death, and gains absolutely nothing from murdering an innocent little girl.) This along with Doran's and Trystane's murder reflects a broader problem with the last two seasons that the writers are continually insistent on constant shock value regardless of how little sense the shocks actually make.

Archived