What would you change about the show?

Feologild

The fact that the last couple of seasons have been more of a "teevee show" than an adaptation of the books, I would at the least bring back the fantastic art direction, costume and set design of the first two seasons. Those visuals seemed based on early Renaissance paintings with lush patterns, colors and depthful chiaroscuro. I miss that.

On Invalid Date at 9:33 PM, RevaM said:

the show runners

yes. I think they did a decent job in the first seasons but I would have preferred other writers when the show started inventing things. Maybe I would change the fact there are almost no other writers as well...and also I would change the fact that George is not writing any episode anymore. so yeah I would change the writers. As producers I don't think they are doing a bad job though.

Two big things:

-The Dorne plot. Once you leave fAegon out of the Show, it doesn't make any sense to film and spend time with Dorne. 

-The Sansa-Ramsay plot. It's clear to me that D&D took a shortcut and put Sansa with Ramsay and the Vale army in th North because that's what's going to happen on the books: Sansa will marry Harry and they will ride North to take it back for the Starks.

If they had made Sansa be just Alayne and kept her as our viewpoint of the Winterfell plotline it would have been far better. Make the Northern Conspiracy with Karstark and Umber in Season 5 and Jon rescuing her in Season 6, but without the marriage between Ramsay and Sansa and LF and playing their schemes agianst the Boltons..

"I just should acknowledge that I have never worked on television and I do not understand as good as those who do work there, how writing, directing, acting and production works. Therefore I may think that I could do it better, but there is a reason why I shitstorm on the internet and am not part of a big tv production. So maybe, just maybe, I should enjoy something without overthinking and overanalysing everything and stop being so self-righteous."  - Said no fan ever :P.

17 hours ago, Dragonsbone said:

"I just should acknowledge that I have never worked on television and I do not understand as good as those who do work there, how writing, directing, acting and production works. Therefore I may think that I could do it better, but there is a reason why I shitstorm on the internet and am not part of a big tv production. So maybe, just maybe, I should enjoy something without overthinking and overanalysing everything and stop being so self-righteous."  - Said no fan ever :P.

LOL!!! So, you never criticize anything, right? No matter how stupid or ridiculous something is, you can't criticize it because you never worked on TV, right?

Are we even allowed to dislike something, or your golden rule applies to that as well??? Because we're not TV professionals, we simply have to enjoy everything TV professionals create, right?

But really, do you really need to be "part of big TV production" to realize how nonsensical is, for example, the death of Lancel in the show???

29 minutes ago, StepStark said:

LOL!!! So, you never criticize anything, right? No matter how stupid or ridiculous something is, you can't criticize it because you never worked on TV, right?

Are we even allowed to dislike something, or your golden rule applies to that as well??? Because we're not TV professionals, we simply have to enjoy everything TV professionals create, right?

But really, do you really need to be "part of big TV production" to realize how nonsensical is, for example, the death of Lancel in the show???

I gues trying to explain the joke to you, would be hopeless. Hint: I was joking. It was a parody of fandom. 

1 hour ago, Dragonsbone said:

I gues trying to explain the joke to you, would be hopeless. Hint: I was joking. It was a parody of fandom. 

Maybe you shouldn't joke. You're not a professional joker after all. How can you know which jokes work and which don't if you've never worked on a sitcom! Instead of trying to write jokes on the internet maybe you should try to work for some big sitcom production and see how hard it really is!

2 hours ago, StepStark said:

Maybe you shouldn't joke. You're not a professional joker after all. How can you know which jokes work and which don't if you've never worked on a sitcom! Instead of trying to write jokes on the internet maybe you should try to work for some big sitcom production and see how hard it really is!

Now THAT was really good. Touche my friend, touche :D

just should acknowledge that I have never worked on television and I do not understand as good as those who do work there, how writing, directing, acting and production works. Therefore I may think that I could do it better, but there is a reason why I shitstorm on the internet and am not part of a big tv production. So maybe, just maybe, I should enjoy something without overthinking and overanalysing everything and stop being so self-righteous...

...BUUUUUUTTTT...

Mostly I'd maybe just have someone in the story team who's got a different wavelength than D&D. They're very, *very* good, but maybe having someone with opposing tastes would act as a bit of quality control on the few storylines that could have used it: Dorne, Braavos and the North. They handled the Wall pretty well, still rock in Kingslanding, and managed to navigate through the Mereenese Knot with surprisingly few faceplants, considering you could argue that's what the knot is in the books.

And the North storyline was overall good, but we all know a few more ingredients or decisions could have made it great; payoff the implied "Ramsay, your cruelty will make your men turn on you" thing a bit, maybe hint at the Northern Conspiracy, and construct a bit more sense into Jon's failure as a leader (like, say, have Jon's plan working for a bit, then have Ramsay bait him with Rickon after the initial melee has been joined to demonstrate Jon's tactical competence is good). The biggest issue with evaluating the North is that you can kind of see how out-of-universe factors influenced plot details: time and budget simply sapped a lot of the creative energy because they needed to get Ramsay head of House Bolton, needed to set-up the battle, and needed to get a good battle on screen (and by all accounts, the logistical side of the Battle of the Bastards was titanic.)

Braavos was really only let down by the ending with Arya getting stabbed and surviving. That's a comparatively simple fix, where again it might have paid to have just one more person reviewing scripts alongside D&D. Maybe have Arya get *slashed* in a somewhat survivable manner, than have her retreat to the play-actors of her own volition and go crazy with faces, masks, and disguises, so you get a more tense game of cat and mouse.

And Dorne... Dorne really did need some quality control, though I don't blame D&D. They went into a storyline most book readers find to have only one saving grace, and came out just as bruised as Martin had. The biggest issue there was that at some point you can tell they realized it wasn't working, and their response was unfortunately lacking, but again guided by time and resources. Still, someone else maybe could have had Doran execute Ellaria, bring the Snakes to heel, and make an alliance with the High Sparrow to avoid Cersei's wrath. Maybe have a Dornish representative on the Small council who can play on the Reach Dorne rivalry who then gets killed by the Green Trial?

Archived