US Politics - Trump - Making America Grate!

zelticgar

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I assumed it was ironic.

Not with zelticgar.

In other news, if you thought Trump has removed himself from his businesses, think again.

Now, records have emerged that show just how closely tied Mr. Trump remains to the empire he built.

While the president says he has walked away from the day-to-day operations of his business, two people close to him are the named trustees and have broad legal authority over his assets: his eldest son, Donald Jr., and Allen H. Weisselberg, the Trump Organization’s chief financial officer. Mr. Trump, who will receive reports on any profit, or loss, on his company as a whole, can revoke their authority at any time.

What’s more, the purpose of the Donald J. Trump Revocable Trust is to hold assets for the “exclusive benefit” of the president. This trust remains under Mr. Trump’s Social Security number, at least as far as federal taxes are concerned.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/02/04/trump-loses-backbone-on-drug-prices-is-there-a-pill-for-that/

Trump actually had an issue he was right about, then backs off on it, believing big pharma's bullshit.

At a news conference the week before his inauguration, Trump doubled down on his promise to reduce prices, declaring that drug companies were “getting away with murder.” And on Tuesday, he summoned drug company chief executives to the White House to do to them what he had done to carmakers and aerospace executives, shaming them into creating jobs and lowering prices.

“We have to get prices down,” he told the drugmakers. “We have no choice.”

An hour later, however, the negotiator-in-chief emerged to say it was all a misunderstanding. Reading almost verbatim from the industry’s talking points, he vowed to “oppose anything that makes it harder for smaller, younger companies to take the risk of bringing their product to a vibrantly competitive market.” He would have nothing to do with anything so odious as “price fixing” by Medicare.

Now, I know I've raised this issue about patents before. And quite honestly, there was something that was kind of bugging me. As if I was missing something, not getting something quite right. And I think I've figured it out.

And the point is: Patents maybe necessary because of market failure. But, in order to correct one type of market failure, the government creates another type of market failure by essentially creating a monopoly.

Suppose I want to make baseball bats. I buy a machine to help me make baseball bats. Now if my competitor can steal my machine he could sell baseball bats at a lower price, while getting a higher return. Fortunately, stealing baseball bat making machines probably isn't easy, unless the potential competitor is like some kind of super ninja and can come into my shop and steal my machine.

But, stealing intellectual property is easier because it doesn't have any kind of physical property or boundless to it. If intellectual property is my main piece of capital, it's much easier for a competitor to take and then undersell me at a lower price while still getting a greater return. Obviously, my incentive might not be great here. Of course, I'm assuming here there is no first mover advantage or anything and that the IP can't really be kept secret.

So, the government protects my IP, but in the process it creates a monopoly, making it possible for me to get greater returns than what would be necessary to actually induce me to make whatever it is I'm trying to make.

Given the fact, the government has created one market failure, to address another market failure, it is pretty justifiable for the government to limit those excess market returns.

Just something to keep in my mind as you listen to big Pharma's bullshit.

44 minutes ago, SkynJay said:

I refuse to link to his twitter but I think Scot has his answer re. Trump respecting a court order.  He declared the ruling was made by a 'so called' judge.

Any system of checks and balances may be screwed.

I was watching CNN as the news of the decision broke last night, and the WH press release used the same 'ridiculous' statement. Moments later a new press release was issued that deleted the word ridiculous. Someone somewhere turned white and said, you don't call a federal court decision ridiculous.

I have this image of Trump standing there with his wand ("6 inches long, white ash, core of troll whisker hair") trying and trying and trying to get rid of a bogart.

20 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38868571

The overturning of the ban means a 4 month old Iranian girl can now travel as planned to get a heart operation.  The hospital has apparently promised to do it for free now.

And if the decision is overturned at appeal, Toronto's Sick Children's Hospital is standing by.

37 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I have this image of Trump standing there with his wand ("6 inches long, white ash, core of troll whisker hair") trying and trying and trying to get rid of a bogart.

You know he's a squib, like old bitter Filch. 

“Never remember always forget.”

Cindy Voorspuy, of Staten Island, stood near the entrance to the Bowling Green subway station carrying a sign that read, “Never remember always forget.”

The group decided to take to the streets to poke fun at presidential adviser Kellyanne Conway’s false claim that Iraqi refugees committed an atrocity that never happened called the “Bowling Green massacre.”

Bowling Green, Ky., has long had a reputation as a welcoming place for refugees, and the city is home to the International Center of Kentucky, a refugee resettlement agency. In the past 10 years, more than 2,000 refugees resettled in Bowling Green from more than a dozen countries, including some Muslim-majority countries, said the agency’s executive director, Albert Mbanfu.

People in the small college town took to the streets Friday night to hold a fake vigil of their own.

Also a candlelight vigil a Trump Tower in NYC is being planned to remember the Bowling Green Massacre.  There is a fb page for that. 

Never remember, always forget,
the alternative facts that the People get
Conway yes she tells them tall
lies, half truths and spin, she spews them all.

Just now, Nasty LongRider said:

Also a candlelight vigil a Trump Tower in NYC is being planned to remember the Bowling Green Massacre.  There is a fb page for that. 

I'm just so angry about the libuuuural media covering up the Bowling Green Massacre. What a travesty that was. I had to go to YouTube to find out about it.

And that's why I'm gonna be a conservative from now on.

1 minute ago, OldGimletEye said:

I'm just so angry about the libuuuural media covering up the Bowling Green Massacre. What a travesty that was. I had to go to YouTube to find out about it.

And that's why I'm gonna be a conservative from now on.

And don't to forget to not post the links to all the 'everybody knows' and 'common knowledge' videos that prove everything! 

2 hours ago, SkynJay said:

I refuse to link to his twitter but I think Scot has his answer re. Trump respecting a court order.  He declared the ruling was made by a 'so called' judge.

Any system of checks and balances may be screwed.

I would call it a "so called" ruling, as it provides almost no legal reasoning for the order.

http://joshblackman.com/blog/2017/02/04/instant-analysis-nationwide-injunction-in-washington-v-trump/

There is no real analysis here. The order merely repeats the headers of Washington’s brief. Why are they likely to succeed on the merits? Who knows. Why is parens patriae a valid basis for standing here, even though courts have rejected this principle since Massachusetts v. Mellon (see Virginia v. Sebelius)? No answer. What is the limiting principle if a state is injured when a federal action is “inflicted upon the operations and missions of [a state’s] public universities and other institutions of higher learning, as well as injury to the States’ operations, tax bases, and public funds”? No clue.

By the judge's "reasoning", we can't deny any visas because they injure the state's tax base. Stupid.

Much like the senate Dems holding up cabinet votes, this is a demonstration of impotent rage that will be overturned in short order. 

4 minutes ago, Commodore said:

Much like the senate Dems holding up cabinet votes, this is a demonstration of impotent rage that will be overturned in short order. 

Using the same tactics the Republicans used before them, evidently.

Archived