Your small council living characters only

King17

Tricky topic since it depends on who you are and where your fortunes lie.

If we are assuming that I am the current king, in the current state of affairs, i.e., I'm replacing Cersei, but with the current options; that is tricky AF. Lord Commander must remain Jamie. I guess Master of Whispers would remain Qybourn (because I don't know any other who could do that job). Master of Coin would be Mace Tyrell (or a delegate of his). Making Mace the Hand if he provided a Master of Coin that was sufficient. Redwyne as Master of Ships because, of course. And a new Grand Maester would be sent from the Citadel.

Now, if we are talking anytime; I'll take Grand Maester Gawen for longevity and knowledge. Tywin Lannister as my Hand, because I'm a strong king who trusts a strong Hand. Tyrion as my Master of Coin, because with a strong King and Hand who are just (as I plan to be) he would do his duty well, without resentment. The rest, I would have to choose from my particular stable of allies. Choosing a Master of Whispers or even Master of Ships without knowing the lay of the land would probably not be the best idea.

Im assuming i would be Tommen in this scenario so i presume i would have to restrict some characters to make it realistic. For example Stannis couldnt possibly be my master of ships.

Hand of the King - Forley Prester

Lord Commander of the Kingsguard - Jaime Lannister

Master of coin - Ardrian Celtigar

Master of laws - Orton Merryweather 

Master of whisperers - Harys Swyft

Master of ships - Paxter Redwyne

Grand Maester - Gormon Tyrell

Additional advisors - Willas Tyrell, Roland Crakehall

Small Council

Hand: Tyrion Lannister

Master of Coin: Leyton Hightower (or a representative, like Baelor)

Master of Whispers: Varys

Master of Laws: Randyll Tarly

Master of Ships: Stannis Baratheon

Lord Commander: Barristan Selmy

Adviser: Forley Prester

Adviser: Doran Martell

Adviser: Mathis Rowan

Master at Arms: Garlan Tyrell

Commander of the City Watch: Addam Marbrand (he hated it but he was good at it)

LP's:

The North: Rickon, with Wyman as regent until he comes of age

The Riverlands: Edmure (because really he'd make an excellent peacetime ruler)

The Stormlands: Stannis

The Westerlands: Tyrion

The Reach: Mace (though hopefully he'd die quickly so Willis could take over)

Dorne: Doran

The Iron Islands: Victarion

The Vale: Harold Hardyng

Kingsguard:

Barristan Selmy

Balon Swann

Richard Horpe

Loras Tyrell

Daven Lannister

Roland Storm

Daemon Sand

Because you don't say what house I am from, I am picking based off of merit and recognize that some of these characters may not work well together in the books. But they would if I was king...

Hand - Jon Snow

Coin - Tyrion

Whispers - Bran

Laws - Stannis

Ships - Davos

LC - Barristan, with Brienne as eventual replacement.

This also brings up the intriguing topic; what are the ideal characteristics of each position?

Hand - fair, just, wise, rational, and level headed. Probably the most capable ruler, maybe even more so than the king.

Coin - pragmatic, clever, and smart.

Whispers - omnipotent or as close to it as possible. Well connected within all levels of the kingdom.

Laws - just, firm and unwavering, someone who is able to draw a clear line and is not prone to change the rules.

Ships - practical, takes orders well. This is the one position where I don't think you need someone to be vocal about every matter.

LC/KG - excellent soldier. Obeys and would not hesitate to lay down their life.

You of course want all members to be loyal, knowledgeable within their position, and not overly ambitious.

I would think that a good hand could be a decent master of laws and vice versa.

Same with Coin and Whispers.

I just assume I'm made king through some Brightflame plot and that my claim is recognized as the real deal by a great council, because poetic justice. 

King - Me

Queen - Sansa (or Marg, because Natale Dormer)

Hand - that one is difficult, I'd say Doran Martell, but only because I see no other viable choices. Mance would be my favorite, but he's a deserter. 

Master of Coin - Tyrion

Master of Ships - Davos Seaworth or Victarion Greyjoy to keep the council less Stannis-centered

Master of Laws  - Stannis 

Master of Whispers - Marwyn (if Qyburn is already pretty decent good, I'm sure Marwyn is even better, and at least there's a possibilty he's not as bad a traitor as Varys)

Maester - Gormon Tyrell

Lord Commander - Barristan Selmy

Bonus: 

King's Justice - Sandor Clegane

Kingsguard:

Richard Horpe

Clayton Suggs

Barristan Selmy (obviously)

The Bastard of Nightsong

Loras Tyrell

Balon Swann

Lord Paramounts: 

Riverlands: Blackfish (once he dies, it's Edmure or his son)

North: Wyman Manderly (until Rickon comes of age)

Westerlands: Tyrion Lannister

Vale: Bronze Yohn Royce

Dorne: Doran Martell

Reach: Mace Tyrell

Stormlands: Stannis Baratheon

Iron Islands: Asha Greyjoy and whoever her husband turns out to be, for lack of better options

Commander of the Gold Cloaks: Daven Lannister 

What do you think?

Why would anyone choose Davos over Stannis for master of ships?

Stannis is the most experienced naval commander. He defeated the Iron Fleet and was Master of Ships for many years. 

We dont know that Davos has any military education or knowledge of warfare. He is a peaceful dude that is not respected by the other lords and knights.

6 hours ago, John Doe said:

I just assume I'm made king through some Brightflame plot and that my claim is recognized as the real deal by a great council, because poetic justice. 

King - Me

Queen - Sansa (or Marg, because Natale Dormer)

Hand - that one is difficult, I'd say Doran Martell, but only because I see no other viable choices. Mance would be my favorite, but he's a deserter. 

Master of Coin - Tyrion

Master of Ships - Davos Seaworth or Victarion Greyjoy to keep the council less Stannis-centered

Master of Laws  - Stannis 

Master of Whispers - Marwyn (if Qyburn is already pretty decent good, I'm sure Marwyn is even better, and at least there's a possibilty he's not as bad a traitor as Varys)

Maester - Gormon Tyrell

Lord Commander - Barristan Selmy

Bonus: 

King's Justice - Sandor Clegane

Kingsguard:

Richard Horpe

Clayton Suggs

Barristan Selmy (obviously)

The Bastard of Nightsong

Loras Tyrell

Balon Swann

Lord Paramounts: 

Riverlands: Blackfish (once he dies, it's Edmure or his son)

North: Wyman Manderly (until Rickon comes of age)

Westerlands: Tyrion Lannister

Vale: Bronze Yohn Royce

Stormlands: Stannis Baratheon

Iron Islands: Asha Greyjoy and whoever her husband turns out to be, for lack of better options

Commander of the Gold Cloaks: Daven Lannister 

What do you think?

Good list but I'd make some slight alternations... provided we have all 7 kingdoms under control and certain political considerations. Dany in CO are all still in Mereen and are discounted.

King - Me

Queen - Sansa 

Hand - Bronze Yohn Royce

Master of Coin - Wyman Manderely

Master of Ships - Paxter Redwyne

Master of Laws  -  Franklyn Fowler

Master of Whispers -  Brynden Blackfish Tully

Grand Maester - Gorman as the Citadel intented

Bonus: 

King's Justice - Richard Horpe

Master at Arms - Harras Harlaw

Commander of the Gold Cloaks: Robett Glover

Kingsguard: Knights only

Loras Tyrell - Lord Commander

Balon Swann

Lyle Crakehall

Daemon Sand

Kyle Condon

Perwyn Frey

Lothar Brune

Lord Paramounts: 

Riverlands: Edmure Tully

North: Jon Stark (legitimized as Robb's will)

Westerlands: Daven Lannister

Vale: Harry Arryn

Stormlands: Shireen Baratheon with Davos as Regent maybe Edric Storm legitimized.

Iron Islands: Rodrick Harlaw

3 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Good list but I'd make some slight alternations... provided we have all 7 kingdoms under control and certain political considerations. Dany in CO are all still in Mereen and are discounted.

King - Me

Queen - Sansa 

Hand - Bronze Yohn Royce

Master of Coin - Wyman Manderely

Master of Ships - Paxter Redwyne

Master of Laws  -  Franklyn Fowler

Master of Whispers -  Brynden Blackfish Tully

Grand Maester - Gorman as the Citadel intented

Bonus: 

King's Justice - Richard Horpe

Master at Arms - Harras Harlaw

Commander of the Gold Cloaks: Robett Glover

Kingsguard: Knights only

Loras Tyrell - Lord Commander

Balon Swann

Lyle Crakehall

Daemon Sand

Kyle Condon

Perwyn Frey

Lothar Brune

Lord Paramounts: 

Riverlands: Edmure Tully

North: Jon Stark (legitimized as Robb's will)

Westerlands: Daven Lannister

Vale: Harry Arryn

Stormlands: Shireen Baratheon with Davos as Regent maybe Edric Storm legitimized.

Iron Islands: Rodrick Harlaw

Just pointing out:  In your Kingsguard, you list Lothar Brune, which likely wouldn't work.

Loras Tyrell, Balon Swann, Lyle Crakehall, and Perwyn Frey are all 2nd/3rd sons.  Daemon Sand is a noble bastard, and Condon is merely a household knight.  All would be appropriate.  Lothar Brune was knighted on the Blackwater, and has been promised lands and a keep in the Riverlands after the war.  As he will need to marry and create heirs, the Kingsguard is no place for him.

Would add that he's a good man, and one of my favorite minor characters.  Would love to see him get Mya Stone as a wife.

44 minutes ago, LindsayLohan said:

Just pointing out:  In your Kingsguard, you list Lothar Brune, which likely wouldn't work.

Loras Tyrell, Balon Swann, Lyle Crakehall, and Perwyn Frey are all 2nd/3rd sons.  Daemon Sand is a noble bastard, and Condon is merely a household knight.  All would be appropriate.  Lothar Brune was knighted on the Blackwater, and has been promised lands and a keep in the Riverlands after the war.  As he will need to marry and create heirs, the Kingsguard is no place for him.

Would add that he's a good man, and one of my favorite minor characters.  Would love to see him get Mya Stone as a wife.

Mayhaps but I didn't promise him those lands the Lannisters did and they are deposed. Also I really can't think of any other worthy knights from the crownlands. Also finding living knights from the North was difficult. Glad you noticed the 2nd/3rd son thing. I would have liked to have Harras Harlaw on my KG but he is Rodrick's heir so Master at Arms would be good until he takes his Lordship.

31 minutes ago, Lord Wraith said:

Mayhaps but I didn't promise him those lands the Lannisters did and they are deposed. Also I really can't think of any other worthy knights from the crownlands. Also finding living knights from the North was difficult. Glad you noticed the 2nd/3rd son thing. I would have liked to have Harras Harlaw on my KG but he is Rodrick's heir so Master at Arms would be good until he takes his Lordship.

It's makes Sansa's eight Winged Knights thing unique in a way.  Having them serve a set term, instead of a life term, allows the guard to be composed of anyone, including lords or heirs, increasing the talent supply.  Additionally, Robin (or Harry, perhaps) would never have to deal with an aging guard that is unable to fulfill his duties (Boros Blount, Vardis Egan). 

On a completely unrelated Lothor Brune note:  I'm going to freaking die laughing if he kills Michel Redfort during the tournament in response to Redfort shaming Mya. 

1 hour ago, LindsayLohan said:

It's makes Sansa's eight Winged Knights thing unique in a way.  Having them serve a set term, instead of a life term, allows the guard to be composed of anyone, including lords or heirs, increasing the talent supply.  Additionally, Robin (or Harry, perhaps) would never have to deal with an aging guard that is unable to fulfill his duties (Boros Blount, Vardis Egan). 

On a completely unrelated Lothor Brune note:  I'm going to freaking die laughing if he kills Michel Redfort during the tournament in response to Redfort shaming Mya. 

Well he might kill Mychel Redfort but I certainly got the idea that it wasn't his fault. Seems like it was Lord Horton.

Also agreed the Winged Knights is brilliant.

"Of course she did. She has a mouth as big as her thighs, and her thighs are enormous. Mychel Redfort was the one. He used to be Lyn Corbray's squire. A real squire, not like that loutish lad Ser Lyn's got squiring for him now. He only took that one on for coin, they say. Mychel was the best young swordsman in the Vale, and gallant . . . or so poor Mya thought, till he wed one of Bronze Yohn's daughters. Lord Horton gave him no choice in the matter, I am sure, but it was still a cruel thing to do to Mya."

Assuming that there's peace and everyone is happy living with one another, then

Hand: Tyrion Lannister
LC of the Kingsguard: Selmy
Master of coin: Mace Tyrell
Master of ships - Euron Greyjoy
Master of law - Doran Martell
Advisor: Jon Snow
Advisor:  Randyll Tarly
Advisor:  Melisandre

GM: someone who I can trust

10 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

I like your list. I thought about putting Bronze Yohn on my list too, but he wasn't my first choice for anything. 

My Master at Arms would be Bronn. 

11 hours ago, John Doe said:

I like your list. I thought about putting Bronze Yohn on my list too, but he wasn't my first choice for anything. 

My Master at Arms would be Bronn. 

Considering the Vale has one of the only untouched armies and food supplies in Westeros I am willing to make concessions. Bronze Yohn seems well connected and has been hanging the background since GOT. I would have liked put Baelish as Hand because I think that is what he aspires to be. Then would have a vested interest in the security of the kingdom and not his own ambition. Of course I'd probably have to give him Sansa but that would be a small price. Marge or Arianne would be suitable Queens as well.

Archived