NFL Superbowl: Dont Waste My Overtime

Jace, Extat

Just now, sperry said:

The college rules for overtime are so much better.  The NFL rules just suck.

There's no denying that, CFB OT is one of my favorite things to watch in all of sports, but if they are going to change it in the NFL, don't do it just because of this SB, do it because the rules were shit before the game was played yesterday.

1 minute ago, Joe Pesci said:

There's no denying that, CFB OT is one of my favorite things to watch in all of sports, but if they are going to change it in the NFL, don't do it just because of this SB, do it because the rules were shit before the game was played yesterday.

They definitely were shit beforehand. Unfortunately it usually takes high profile spotlight of the current shitty state of affairs to change anything.

39 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

For those who feel Brady should retire...

I am not a fan of the Patriots at all. That being said, I love to see greatness. And, he has 2-3 more of elite football left, maybe more. 

We'll see. These are pretty uncharted waters. Only Brett Favre has had an elite season past age 39 and then fell off a cliff the next year.  To paraphrase Belichick "one day you wake up and you don't have it anymore and it'll be clear to the coaches before it is to you."

Granted, Tom Brady takes better carry of his body than basically anyone I've heard. His cheat day basically involves drinking a kale smoothie. He'll keep his body in the best shape possible, he'll control everything he can control...but Father Time is undefeated. At some point the athletic decline can't be overcome by perfect nutrition and meticulous preparation.

I mean unless his buddy Donnie can hook him up with a Russian HGH supplier. Can't rule that out I suppose.

5 minutes ago, sperry said:

They definitely were shit beforehand. Unfortunately it usually takes high profile spotlight of the current shitty state of affairs to change anything.

I don't think the current OT rules are that bad.  I like that the pro overtime involves special teams whereas the college rules completely eliminates coverage units. 

The only improvement I've heard would be to eliminate the coin toss and instead have both teams come out with a blind wager of where they're willing to start with the ball.  If one team says the opponents 20 and one says the 15, then you start at the fifteen, next score wins.  In last night's case, I would think the Falcons would be pretty desperate to get the ball, so they might have wagered something ridiculous like the 4 yard line. 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I don't think the current OT rules are that bad.  I like that the pro overtime involves special teams whereas the college rules completely eliminates coverage units. 

The only improvement I've heard would be to eliminate the coin toss and instead have both teams come out with a blind wager of where they're willing to start with the ball.  If one team says the opponents 20 and one says the 15, then you start at the fifteen, next score wins.  In last night's case, I would think the Falcons would be pretty desperate to get the ball, so they might have wagered something ridiculous like the 4 yard line. 

Never understood this argument. Allowing one team to end the game with a TD takes the other team's offense completely out of the game.

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

True, this game will draw plenty of attention to the OT rules, but if this SB is the basis to enact change then that doesn't hold much water imo, as it was the first time it happened in 51 SB's so it's such a rare occurrence it shouldn't be used to make a change if I'm playing devil's advocate. It's not like we haven't had all kinds of prior evidence of how ass OT is, and look how long it took them just to change it to include a possession if the first drive results in a FG. I just don't want this game to be the main reason for the change I guess.

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I agree they're not bad. And they're better than the college rules which a ) turn football only into a comparison of RZ offenses with no other aspect of football involved and b ) completely warp the stats/score of a game. 

The only tweak I think that's needed is every team gets the ball at least once. After that it's sudden death. Boom, problem solved.  

6 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

We'll see. These are pretty uncharted waters. Only Brett Favre has had an elite season past age 39 and then fell off a cliff the next year.  To paraphrase Belichick "one day you wake up and you don't have it anymore and it'll be clear to the coaches before it is to you."

Granted, Tom Brady takes better carry of his body than basically anyone I've heard. His cheat day basically involves drinking a kale smoothie. He'll keep his body in the best shape possible, he'll control everything he can control...but Father Time is undefeated. At some point the athletic decline can't be overcome by perfect nutrition and meticulous preparation.

I mean unless his buddy Donnie can hook him up with a Russian HGH supplier. Can't rule that out I suppose.

I'm not saying that he has another 5 years. But, he looked as good this season as any. Yes, father time will catch up. Brett Favre is not a good example. Brady rarely gets hit, and definitely as you say, takes better care of his body. And, it's his system, and he runs it beautifully. I think he might just get one more ring.

26 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

But, I don't know that people hate the Pat's in the same manner as the Boys'. I think people, in general, have respect for what they do and how they do it.

It's like in Simmons (RockRoi?) last article he was asked something about trading Groningen. And, he responded by saying there is no way he would, but Belcher? If someone want to make a splash and get a guy like Groningen and are willing to over pay for him, Belcher will take that trade in a heartbeat, and I agree he will. He's a genius and the have the greatest QB of all-time. 

The Cowboys, they are and have always been easy to hate. Jerry Jones, Cocaine Wonderland of the 80's and 90's. They are just easy to hate.

Groningen? Belcher? You having a fight with autocorrect?

27 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I'm not saying that he has another 5 years. But, he looked as good this season as any. Yes, father time will catch up. Brett Favre is not a good example. Brady rarely gets hit, and definitely as you say, takes better care of his body. And, it's his system, and he runs it beautifully. I think he might just get one more ring.

Ok, is Peyton Manning a better example? He lost it in week 9 of the 2014 season. Just woke up and was awful. After having, statistically, the greatest season ever in 2013 and on a similar pace for the first half of 2014. 

I agree the Brady we saw last night looks like he has a few more great years. Just saying this would have to be another area Brady breaks all precedents in. I guess though he's the one guy you should never rule out. 

23 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Groningen? Belcher? You having a fight with autocorrect?

Dude, Groningen, stud Jaguars TE. Graduated from McFlurry State in Jacksonian, Flavia IIRC. Pats would be lucky to get him. 

54 minutes ago, sperry said:

There is nothing more insufferable than the fanbase of a team that has had an inordinate amount of success. It makes otherwise reasonable people just ooze smugness and condescension, along with a bizarre sense of entitlement.

Shucks, maybe the Patriots are America's Team after all.

11 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Ok, is Peyton Manning a better example? He lost it in week 9 of the 2014 season. Just woke up and was awful. After having, statistically, the greatest season ever in 2013 and on a similar pace for the first half of 2014. 

I agree the Brady we saw last night looks like he has a few more great years. Just saying this would have to be another area Brady breaks all precedents in. I guess though he's the one guy you should never rule out. 

Dude, Groningen, stud Jaguars TE. Graduated from McFlurry State in Jacksonian, Flavia IIRC. Pats would be lucky to get him. 

Peyton had one ... two? ... neck surgeries at the tail end of his career which severely impacted his arm strength. Brady has - other than the ACL - been able to limit major injuries. I know the shoulder is something that seems to always pop on the injury reports, but I don't know how serious an ongoing injury that is.

5 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Shucks, maybe the Patriots are America's Team after all.

Not sure if this was posted earlier ... https://teechip.com/brady-lmt#id=0&c=0E1F3F&sid=fruit-of-the-loom-cotton-t&s=front

15 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

The thing about Tommy is he doesn't really seem to rely on superior physical tools. He's not that mobile and his arm strength is nothing to write home about. Seems to me that he mostly gets it done with smarts and vision. Outside of taking that one monstrous hit that might seriously diminish the physical tools he does have, he seems rather uniquely qualified to play into his 40's. 

I think he's going to be one of those guys who has to be told to retire. Likely not going to happen until Belichick benches him in favor of his backup.

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The thing about Tommy is he doesn't really seem to rely on superior physical tools. He's not that mobile and his arm strength is nothing to write home about. Seems to me that he mostly gets it done with smarts and vision. Outside of taking that one monstrous hit that might seriously diminish the physical tools he does have, he seems rather uniquely qualified to play into his 40's.

But that cuts both ways.  A qb with unique physical gifts might be able to weather them regressing to being merely average, whereas for Brady if his arm strength regresses even a bit, defenses will start playing 10 guys near the line of scrimmage.  If Brady can't throw a crisp sideline route 25 yards down the field, one safety can effectively cover the entire deep area.  The Colts did it against Peyton Manning in the AFCCG in 2014, and in spite of having open receivers, he couldn't punish them.  Once that happened, he was done as a truly dangerous quarterback (regardless of getting dragged to the SB a year later). 

I have to say that the Falcons need some blame. On D, you cannot put too much blame on that team.  For starters, they always made the Pats pay for their drives; the Pats had to go multiple-play, multiple down-drives.  There was no way that the D could have played any better than they did in that first half.  Even in the second half, they held the Pats to under double digits for ... EVER!  When the Pats started killing it, the Falcons D was utterly gassed; they spent everything they had and that's the ONLY way to play the Pats.  You have to play like you will either win or lose by 60.  And that's what happened with the Falcons D.  I cannot blame a D for playing literally lights-out for 52 minutes and then lose it because you were playing above your head the whole game.  

But the O?

That Julio Jones catch is the quintessential play that bespeaks a choke-job.  With 4:47 left in the 4th quarter up 28-20 Ryan completes an amazing pass Jones 27 yards to the 22 yard line.  So, that means, if the Falcons FORGOT HOW TO PLAY FOOTBALL FOR 3 PLAYS they would have had a 39-yard field goal.  That would have made the game a two-score game with - BY THEN - 3 minutes 10 seconds left to play.  But ... YOU PASS??!?!?!  What are you thinking?  Even after the holding call- just run the ball straight ahead, get 4 of 5 yards and drill a 48 yard field goal!  What are you doing?!  Ice the game!  

And how are you giving up sacks?  Throw the GOD DAMN BALL AWAY!  

3 plays ... lost THIRTY THREE YARDS!  

Congratulations, San Francisco- YOUR NEW HEAD COACH RAN THAT OFFENSE!  

After the Falcons went up 28-9 ... they had the ball four more times; of those 4 drives HALF ended up in negative yardage; they ran a total of 16 plays for a whopping forty-four (44) total yards.  And this all started after the Pats ended a TD drive with a missed Xtra point and then a fucking AWFUL on-sides kick attempt that resulted in a PENALTY!  All Atlanta had to do was fall into a first down...and instead they punted.  

How does that happen?  

The Falcons are hurting right now and their true fan doesn't deserve that.  But had the Pats lost this game, BELIEVE ME I had things to say about the terrible O-line play, the horrid play calling, the Brady choke pick-six; the dropped passes, and the anemic D.  I was prepared to talk about that through the Spring.  Well, I think the Falcons Offensive collapse deserves some attention.  

Oh, and almost forgot: James White should have been MVP.  THREE TDs, including the game winner, and the most receptions in a Superbowl?  Yeah, you are the MVP. 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Have to second this. You guys make it harder to be an inveterate Pats hater. And you have to take your hats off to those guys. Incredible comeback.

I agree that this can come off as a Sour Grapes sort of take, but how dramatic would it have been for the Falcons to have had a shot at tying it up? It would have made an incredible game even that much better. The OT rules suck. NCAA does this better.

Oh, I agree that the NFL overtime rules are horrible.  I made the comment on the other forum immediately when overtime started, and I was rooting for the Pats.  

I understand they're concerned with player safety (ostensibly) by not wanting overtime to drag on forever, and limit the number of plays on an already worn out body.  Personally, I think the college setup provides a good framework.  It eliminates the most dangerous play (returns) from the game entirely.  I think you can tweak it a little with the beginning distance, and personally I think you disallow kicks to end the game faster. Hell, maybe each additional OT you remove a down. 

If you're fine with ties, let each regular season game end in a tie without going to OT, similar to soccer.  If you don't want ties, just universally adopt the overtime rules to all games.

Just my 0.02.

Archived