NFL Superbowl: Dont Waste My Overtime

Jace, Extat

Just now, JonSnow4President said:

If you're fine with ties, let each regular season game end in a tie without going to OT, similar to soccer.  If you don't want ties, just universally adopt the overtime rules to all games.

I just do not want a system where the teams end up playing a completely different game, which si what they do in college, hockey and/or soccer.  I don;t want some sort of weird skills competition.  I want it so that both teams get the ball and then after both teams had the ball, its either "Highest score is the winner" and then if still tied, "Next team to score wins."  

7 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

I just do not want a system where the teams end up playing a completely different game, which si what they do in college, hockey and/or soccer.  I don;t want some sort of weird skills competition.  I want it so that both teams get the ball and then after both teams had the ball, its either "Highest score is the winner" and then if still tied, "Next team to score wins."  

I feel like if teams are sitting there going toe to toe, that team that won the arbitrary coinflip is still at a huge advantage in that system.  I wouldn't be opposed to one drive, most yards wins (if both score, go to another one).  I just want the complete advantage of the coinflip to go away as much as possible.  With an equitable system, the only advantage one gets is knowing what you have to beat.

12 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

College overtime is not a completely different game at all. I think taking away punts is a perfectly fine tradeoff for not giving one team a huge lift for winning a coinflip.

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

I agree they're not bad. And they're better than the college rules which a ) turn football only into a comparison of RZ offenses with no other aspect of football involved and b ) completely warp the stats/score of a game. 

The only tweak I think that's needed is every team gets the ball at least once. After that it's sudden death. Boom, problem solved.  

The problem with this is it has a very high probability to end the OT period in a tie. In the playoffs, it wold not matter because a new period would start.I personally think that ties should be an acceptable outcome in a game though and don't like OT at all in the regular season.

Here is some more evidence of a stinging indictment of the Falcons O:

Falcons finished the game 1 for 8 on third down 2-for-9 if you included conversion by penalty).  Their third downs were:

Sack for loss of 10.
Sack for loss of 2.
19-yard touchdown to Austin Hooper.
Incomplete on third-and-6.
3-yard DPI to set up the Tevin Coleman touchdown on the next play.
Sack for loss of 9.
Sack for loss of 11, fumble, recovered by New England.
Completion to Taylor Gabriel for 9 yards on third-and-23, wiped out by a holding penalty.
Incomplete on third-and-33.

That's pretty fucking terrible.  

1 minute ago, Rockroi said:

Here is some more evidence of a stinging indictment of the Falcons O:

Falcons finished the game 1 for 8 on third down 2-for-9 if you included conversion by penalty).  Their third downs were:

Sack for loss of 10.
Sack for loss of 2.
19-yard touchdown to Austin Hooper.
3-yard DPI to set up the Tevin Coleman touchdown on the next play.
Sack for loss of 9.
Sack for loss of 11, fumble, recovered by New England.
Completion to Taylor Gabriel for 9 yards on third-and-23, wiped out by a holding penalty.
Incomplete on third-and-33.

That's pretty fucking terrible.  

I don't know why exactly, but your post brought this to mind almost instantly...

http://img0.joyreactor.com/pics/post/full/funny-pictures-auto-748638.jpeg

/I've got issues

12 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

Here is a thought...

I wonder if Aaron Hernandez is thinking to himself today that he could have made $40 million and played in multiple Superbowls if he just didn't murder three people.

This made me laugh a little too hard. 

I'm just coming out of semi-board retirement to thank @Rockroi for his epic post-game post, to say hey to @DanteGabriel and to say HOLY SHIT I can not believe that happened. 

I had to leave for work right as the game went into overtime. (I work nights as an RN on a surgical unit at my local hospital.) I sped there, and as I walked onto my floor, literally every single patient on the floor had the game on. There was a 74 year old woman pacing on her cell phone, hospital gown and all, and she beckoned me into her room, where I watched the final play in awe with her, while she said over and over again to her son on the phone, "How did this happen? I can't believe it." over and over again.  

You aren't kidding, Rock. We've never seen anything like this. 

14 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

No, that's fair.  I just want to spur some discussion on another angle on this topic. 

Yeah, you make a good point. The only codicil I'd add is how many drives did the Falcons have where they didn't get to a 3rd down. Seems there might have been a couple of those.

/Also think you can play this game with the Pats defense to some degree. Freeman averaged almost 7 yards a carry and Coleman better than 4 yards a carry. 

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, you make a good point. The only codicil I'd add is how many drives did the Falcons have where they didn't get to a 3rd down. Seems there might have been a couple of those.

Offensively, they were held to 21 points.  While that's not an awful score, it's subpar for an offense with the talent of the Falcons.  They were held scoreless in 2 quarters.

27 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

Here is a thought...

I wonder if Aaron Hernandez is thinking to himself today that he could have made $40 million and played in multiple Superbowls if he just didn't murder three people.

Nah.  Those dudes had it coming.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Oh, clearly.  But in the second half?  They needed drives or points or yards.  Andy of those would have won them the game.  And they failed in that big area of the game from 8:32 in the 3rd quarter through the 4th quarter.  And they fell apart.  

9 minutes ago, Mya Stone said:

This made me laugh a little too hard. 

I'm just coming out of semi-board retirement to thank @Rockroi for his epic post-game post, to say hey to @DanteGabriel and to say HOLY SHIT I can not believe that happened. 

You aren't kidding, Rock. We've never seen anything like this. 

Come back to us when you can.  We miss you; the glory is unreal.  

5 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Oh, clearly.  But in the second half?  They needed drives or points or yards.  Andy of those would have won them the game.  And they failed in that big area of the game from 8:32 in the 3rd quarter through the 4th quarter.  And they fell apart.  

Yeah, as Joe Pesci mentioned this game was truly a tale of two halfs. As bad as the Falcons offense was in the 2nd half, I'd say it's fair to say the Pats were equally bad in the first half. And the defense wasn't much better.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, as Joe Pesci mentioned this game was truly a tale of two halfs. As bad as the Falcons offense was in the 2nd half, I'd say it's fair to say the Pats were equally bad in the first half. And the defense wasn't much better.

But overall the Pats were better; they had over 500 yards total offense, had 37 first downs (v. Atlanta's 17); their offense did a lot better against Atlanta's D than Atlanta's O did against the Pats D. 

And even with all that, all Atlanta needed was to not lose 33 yards.  And they could not manage that.  

That's some bizarre revisionist history. The Falcons offense did very well against the Patriots defense. They just repeatedly shot themselves in the foot in the 4th quarter, when avoiding any one of those mistakes would have likely put the game out of reach.

3 hours ago, Week said:

Peyton had one ... two? ... neck surgeries at the tail end of his career which severely impacted his arm strength. Brady has - other than the ACL - been able to limit major injuries. I know the shoulder is something that seems to always pop on the injury reports, but I don't know how serious an ongoing injury that is.

That's the big difference between Manning and Brady. And a big reason why even though they both won Superbowls as 39 year olds, one did it by being dragged there by Von Miller, and the other did it as the only truly indispensable piece the Patriots had. I think there's no question Brady is healthier late in his career than PFM. Just a question of how many more years that buys him at an age where virtually no QBs have continued to play, let alone thrive.

48 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

But overall the Pats were better; they had over 500 yards total offense, had 37 first downs (v. Atlanta's 17); their offense did a lot better against Atlanta's D than Atlanta's O did against the Pats D. 

And even with all that, all Atlanta needed was to not lose 33 yards.  And they could not manage that.  

This isn't really true. The team trailing all game always racks up more yards. The Falcons offense was way more efficient. Can compare Ryan's passer rating (144.1) to Brady's (95.2) or the Falcons' RBs YPA (5.8) vs. the Patriots (4.2). They just did stupid shit in high leverage situations like on 3rd down or when in position for what would be a game clinching FG and that's why they lost a game they should have won. 

And in a way, the Patriots dinking and dunking was a bug that became a feature as it denied Ryan the ball for mammoth stretches of the game. Could easily see that being the key reason they got so out of rhythm in the second half...because they were a hot knife through butter in the first half. 

7 minutes ago, sperry said:

That's some bizarre revisionist history. The Falcons offense did very well against the Patriots defense. They just repeatedly shot themselves in the foot in the 4th quarter, when avoiding any one of those mistakes would have likely put the game out of reach.

They had a great spurt (truly).  The majority of the game, they were far from great. 

By comparison, New England moved the ball well all game.  Turnovers kept them off the board. When they stopped turning the ball over, they started scoring like crazy. 

It's scoreboard vs play by play.

1 minute ago, JonSnow4President said:

They had a great spurt (truly).  The majority of the game, they were far from great. 

By comparison, New England moved the ball well all game.  Turnovers kept them off the board. When they stopped turning the ball over, they started scoring like crazy. 

It's scoreboard vs play by play.

That's not true either. The Patriots got the ball an additional two times, due to nothing more than the randomness of a possession based game with a time constraint and the arbitrary overtime clock rules, and produced 150 yards and 10 points on those two possessions, which was the difference in the game.

The Falcons were moving the ball at will against the Pats all night, they just shot themselves in the foot repeatedly in the last 25 minutes of the game. Even the drives that stalled out the Falcons were gashing the Pats, they just had inexcusable negative plays in critical situations.

16 minutes ago, sperry said:

8 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

This isn't really true. The team trailing all game always racks up more yards. The Falcons offense was way more efficient. Can compare Ryan's passer rating (144.1) to Brady's (95.2) or the Falcons' RBs YPA (5.8) vs. the Patriots (4.2). They just did stupid shit in high leverage situations like on 3rd down or when in position for what would be a game clinching FG and that's why they lost a game they should have won. 

And in a way, the Patriots dinking and dunking was a bug that became a feature as it denied Ryan the ball for mammoth stretches of the game. Could easily see that being the key reason they got so out of rhythm in the second half...because they were a hot knife through butter in the first half. 

But this was what I was driving at. The Falcons played extremely well in the first half; Pats played terrible in the first half.  In the second half, that crossed after the last Atlanta score.  FO has posted some explanation of the DVOA disparity and how the Falcons DVOA ratings show GREAT efficiency.  

But that makes us all have to look really hard at the second half.  What the fuck happened?  And it cold be as easy to understand as "They fucked up two drives."  See, I think that the Pats D played tremendous in the second-half and the Falcons 3rd down efficiency shows tha; the team just imploded.  And when you think on what they had to do to win- in effect, score 3 more points - I am stunned at how epic that failure was.  And in part it was because of the Pats D (Hightower's strip sack most notably).  

And, yes, as Jaime you stated- the Pats O keeping the Atlanta O off the field was huge.  

Archived