NFL Superbowl: Dont Waste My Overtime

Jace, Extat

17 hours ago, Altherion said:

Don't feel too bad for him though -- he's now officially the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers and supposedly has a 6-year contract.

Jed York has fired 3 coaches in 3 years. My understanding, based on previous comments he's made, is he'll continue doing so until the 49ers win the Superbowl. 

Continuing with our Politics and the NFL theme, Shad Khan can't believe that the candidate he voted for is implementing policies he said he would implement.

http://deadspin.com/shad-khan-comes-out-against-trumps-muslim-ban-1792011708?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

/BONUS LINK!

Trump%20Khan_zpsqcvfduxq.png

19 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Don't feel bad for him? If he thought this last game was rough, wait till he gets a taste of scenic Santa Clara. The Niners just sued the fucking city! You can't write this shit.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/09/san-francisco-49ers-sue-santa-clara-over-allegations-of-contract-breach/

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

Jed York has fired 3 coaches in 3 years. My understanding, based on previous comments he's made, is he'll continue doing so until the 49ers win the Superbowl. 

OK, so maybe feel a little bad for him. :)

Did anyone see Belicheck and Eddleman on one of those tonight shows? Hoodie actually reminded me of a human being. It was pretty good stuff. 

@dbunting, see that's why I can't see the Pat's ever getting the same amount of hate as the Cowboy's. Even though they win everything and have been basically a dynasty going on 2 decades, they have likable guys. Women love Brady. And, I think anyone who knows anything about football can respect what that organization does. They're unconventional in so many ways. They don't have a bunch of household names. They take guys nobody wants and they produce for them. It's like someone in one of the threads said, Matt f'n Cassel went 11-5 with them and what has that man did anywhere else, but stink it up. They have a complete cultural, that goes after certain types of players (not only skill set, but attitude). Besides, Malcom Butler I don't think I could name but a couple of their defensive players (before I watched the SB). Even though it gets old watching them win year in year out, I think most fans of football, have respect for what they do. It's why I don't ever seeing them getting the hate the Boys' do. I could be wrong, just how I see it.

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Wow guys, I assumed the Pats are already more hated than the Cowboys were. I have no idea how to measure this though.

I don't see it that way. I could be an outlier. The reasons I mentioned, plus the GOAT QB and Coach. I found myself pulling for them to come.back, even though I said I wanted the Falcons to win before the game. I dunno, they have done what no one has before with this dominance. 

12 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Wow guys, I assumed the Pats are already more hated than the Cowboys were. I have no idea how to measure this though.

Don't kid yourself, they are. The top dog is always going to garner the most Sportshate, methinks. Maybe I'm more susceptible to this sort of thing as I was kind of "taught" this by my father, but half the fun of sports fandom for me is the hated enemy or foil. My love of the S.F. Giants is probably only rivaled by my hate of the Dodgers. I first started watching football in the early 70's. The Niners teams of that era were consistently foiled by the Dallas Cowboys. When I got into the NBA, the Showtime Lakers and the Jordan era Bulls teams were the objects of my scorn. That team that you just can't beat, that dominates for any significant period of time, THAT IS NOT YOUR TEAM and even worse almost always beats your team. Fuck that team. That team can eat a bag of dicks.  

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Did anyone see Belicheck and Eddleman on one of those tonight shows? Hoodie actually reminded me of a human being. It was pretty good stuff.

I saw this Jimmy Fallon one on Youtube. It's pretty funny.

49 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That team that you just can't beat, that dominates for any significant period of time, THAT IS NOT YOUR TEAM and even worse almost always beats your team. Fuck that team.

I think they were like that at first, but at some point they transcended it. They often feel qualitatively different from other NFL teams.

14 minutes ago, Altherion said:

I think they were like that at first, but at some point they transcended it. They often feel qualitatively different from other NFL teams.

Yeah, I'm not impugning their skill or acumen at all. Their success is to be admired for sure. They are the blueprint for perfection in this era. That said, they are not my team so they can eat a bag of dicks.

/I get what you're saying though. There have been dominant teams in varying sports that I liked, despite not being a fan. The San Antonio Spurs perhaps in basketball and the old Steel Curtain Steeler teams of the 70's fit that bill for me.   

@Michael Seswatha Jordan, I do believe that Belichick is the greatest coach ever, and has a great system in place that gets players to buy-in, maybe more than they would elsewhere.  

However, and obviously, Belichick sold (chiefs?) fools gold with Cassel.  I read awhile back that the 16-0 2007 team had the 3rd hardest schedule, with an opponents combined win % something like .535.  In 2008, they had the easiest schedule at something like .394, IIRC, and miss the playoffs.  With Brady, they at least had a shot at running the table again, however unlikely.  Some people say Belichick makes Brady, but give Bill Jay Cutler and he's probably missing the playoffs every year.

Im not saying you were saying that, I'm just saying.  To your point, I do agree, and it's largely because of Belichick and his culture.  Somehow, they just keep winning.

8 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

From what I see, hear, and the crap I take as a Cowboys fan, no, the Patriots are still way below Dallas in terms of hatred. I mention I am a Cowboys fan and people just look at me like I spit on their newborn child.

I am sure this story will lead to a lot of nuanced and reasonable discussion:

Hall of Fame cornerback and NFL Network commentator Deion Sanders says the Indianapolis Colts stole other teams’ defensive signals, everyone in the NFL knew about it, and no one did anything.

Sanders made the allegation on NFL Network after his colleague, LaDainian Tomlinson said some critics will put an asterisk next to the Patriots’ success because of Spygate.

“Those same critics, did they say anything about the wins that the Indianapolis Colts had? You want to talk about that too? Because they were getting everybody’s signals,” Sanders said. “Come on, you don’t walk up to the line and look over here and the man on the sideline giving you the defense that they’ve stolen the plays of. We all knew. L.T. knew. Everybody in the NFL knew. We just didn’t let the fans know. That was real and that was happening in Indy.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/08/nfl-networks-deion-sanders-says-colts-stole-other-teams-signals/

My favorite part is that LaDainian Tomlinson is still crying about this stuff from a decade ago.

11 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I am sure this story will lead to a lot of nuanced and reasonable discussion:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/08/nfl-networks-deion-sanders-says-colts-stole-other-teams-signals/

My favorite part is that LaDainian Tomlinson is still crying about this stuff from a decade ago.

Yeah, I never bought into the asterisk thing as far as Spygate goes. How much success have they had since? I think it does lend credence to the idea that they will push the boundaries to get any minuscule advantage they can gain, but that's kind of who Belichick is.

14 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Don't kid yourself, they are. The top dog is always going to garner the most Sportshate, methinks. Maybe I'm more susceptible to this sort of thing as I was kind of "taught" this by my father, but half the fun of sports fandom for me is the hated enemy or foil. My love of the S.F. Giants is probably only rivaled by my hate of the Dodgers. I first started watching football in the early 70's. The Niners teams of that era were consistently foiled by the Dallas Cowboys. When I got into the NBA, the Showtime Lakers and the Jordan era Bulls teams were the objects of my scorn. That team that you just can't beat, that dominates for any significant period of time, THAT IS NOT YOUR TEAM and even worse almost always beats your team. Fuck that team. That team can eat a bag of dicks.  

Again, I think this is mostly a consequence of the fans. Fans of teams that are really good are insufferable. Doesn't matter the sport, or the region, or college vs. pro, it just happens.

15 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

All I would say is that while the Pats hate has only been around since lets say either the back-to-back titles or when Spygate broke (gotta love how Deion and LT brought it up again like it's somehow relevant today :bang:), the hatred for the Cowboys starts back in the 70s. Add in the 90s as a return of the plague Cowboys winning again and the blowhards like Jerruh, Irvin and Deion gave a new generation reason to despise them. I'll not bother with the Romo years and this years team as we all know that while the big talk and some good seasons came out of Dallas, it didn't translate into any SB appearances.

The Pats hate currently burns brightest, but the Cowboys hate is always around, flaring up occasionally like a bad case of herpes when they have a good year. :P

Jay Cutler - QB - Bears

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Jets are a "possibility" to acquire Jay Cutler.

The Jets hired Jeremy Bates as their new QBs coach on Wednesday. He and Cutler have a long history together, and by most accounts, the two really like working with each other. Bates was Cutler's QBs coach in Denver early in his career when he went to the Pro Bowl, and then Bates was brought over to Chicago in 2012 to work with Cutler again. On top of Bates, the Jets also currently employ former Bears teammates Matt Forte and Brandon Marshall. It could be a match. The Bears are fully expected to release Cutler over the next month.

-rw

Can you think of a worse place for GrumpyCat to end up that the Jets?

17 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

All I would say is that while the Pats hate has only been around since lets say either the back-to-back titles or when Spygate broke (gotta love how Deion and LT brought it up again like it's somehow relevant today :bang:), the hatred for the Cowboys starts back in the 70s. Add in the 90s as a return of the plague Cowboys winning again and the blowhards like Jerruh, Irvin and Deion gave a new generation reason to despise them. I'll not bother with the Romo years and this years team as we all know that while the big talk and some good seasons came out of Dallas, it didn't translate into any SB appearances.

The Pats hate currently burns brightest, but the Cowboys hate is always around, flaring up occasionally like a bad case of herpes when they have a good year. :P

That's a good point. Only the Cowboys were brazen enough to adopt the moniker "America's Team". The thing is, that happens anyway with teams like this. With the exception of Niners or Raiders jerseys, I see more Pats gear by far than I do for any other team. It was the same way with the Jordan era Bulls back in the 90's.

9 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That's a good point. Only the Cowboys were brazen enough to adopt the moniker "America's Team". The thing is, that happens anyway with teams like this. With the exception of Niners or Raiders jerseys, I see more Pats gear by far than I do for any other team. It was the same way with the Jordan era Bulls back in the 90's.

I live in the same area and when I find Pats gear I find it almost invariably associated with refugees from New England states.  California attracts a lot of snow-haters, but they maintain that link.

Archived