NFL Superbowl: Dont Waste My Overtime

Jace, Extat

57 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I live in the same area and when I find Pats gear I find it almost invariably associated with refugees from New England states.  California attracts a lot of snow-haters, but they maintain that link.

Yep, I'm one of those immigrants from Massachusetts who moved to California but never transferred my allegiance from Boston area teams.  Of course they didn't start winning Championships until after I had moved away, sigh.

2 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

I live in the same area and when I find Pats gear I find it almost invariably associated with refugees from New England states.  California attracts a lot of snow-haters, but they maintain that link.

When I lived in LA in 2004-2005, I had a pretty robust network of fellow NE fans, and a conveniently located sports bar for expatriates. There was also that time I went to a Sox-Angels game in Anaheim in 2005, where there was a large Boston presence in the stands.

28 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

When I lived in LA in 2004-2005, I had a pretty robust network of fellow NE fans, and a conveniently located sports bar for expatriates. There was also that time I went to a Sox-Angels game in Anaheim in 2005, where there was a large Boston presence in the stands.

Yeah, the Sox and Yanks are another good example. If you go to an A's game against either of those two teams you're likely to see as much enemy gear as A's gear. 

Same can be said for Cubs fans at Giants games. Not nearly as many, but quite a few nonetheless.

3 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

All I would say is that while the Pats hate has only been around since lets say either the back-to-back titles or when Spygate broke (gotta love how Deion and LT brought it up again like it's somehow relevant today :bang:), the hatred for the Cowboys starts back in the 70s. Add in the 90s as a return of the plague Cowboys winning again and the blowhards like Jerruh, Irvin and Deion gave a new generation reason to despise them. I'll not bother with the Romo years and this years team as we all know that while the big talk and some good seasons came out of Dallas, it didn't translate into any SB appearances.

The Pats hate currently burns brightest, but the Cowboys hate is always around, flaring up occasionally like a bad case of herpes when they have a good year. :P

So... Cowboys hate is the understated Old Money of sportshate, while Pats hate is the vulgar and brash Nouveau Riche?

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, the Sox and Yanks are another good example. If you go to an A's game against either of those two teams you're likely to see as much enemy gear as A's gear. 

Same can be said for Cubs fans at Giants games. Not nearly as many, but quite a few nonetheless.

Of course, LA is full of transplants in general. For the big 2004 regular-season game between the Pats and Colts (must have been a Monday night), I went to the Boston fans sports bar, and it was so crowded that Pats fans overflowed into the Eagles bar down the street. Meanwhile I'm the kid who grew up in LA and couldn't stand any LA teams, except the Dodgers.

14 hours ago, King Ned Stark said:

However, and obviously, Belichick sold (chiefs?) fools gold with Cassel.  I read awhile back that the 16-0 2007 team had the 3rd hardest schedule, with an opponents combined win % something like .535.  In 2008, they had the easiest schedule at something like .394, IIRC, and miss the playoffs.  With Brady, they at least had a shot at running the table again, however unlikely.  Some people say Belichick makes Brady, but give Bill Jay Cutler and he's probably missing the playoffs every year.

Im not saying you were saying that, I'm just saying.  To your point, I do agree, and it's largely because of Belichick and his culture.  Somehow, they just keep winning.

I don't think he'd miss the playoffs every year, but he certainly wouldn't win five Superb Owls without somebody like Brady. Also, it's not just Belichick and his culture, but the fact that Belichick is allowed to implement his vision largely unimpeded. Here is last year's list of longest tenured NFL coaches. Only about a third of them have been with a team for longer than 5 years and even of the most respected ones (Tomlin, Harbaugh, etc.), none have the level of control that Darth Hoodie does. How many coaches can tell a Pro Bowl player who is the best pass rusher on the team "You're good, but since you're not resigning for the money we're willing to offer and you're not behaving, I'm sending you to Antarctica (or Cleveland) in exchange for a third-round draft pick that I would have gotten anyway later"?

4 hours ago, sperry said:

Again, I think this is mostly a consequence of the fans. Fans of teams that are really good are insufferable. Doesn't matter the sport, or the region, or college vs. pro, it just happens.

But are the Patriots fans really that bad? The only negative thing I can say about them is that they're spoiled. I remember after they traded Collins, lost the Seattle game and Gronkowski was gone for the season, one of the New England fans said something like "This season looks like another disappointment: we'll get our first round bye, beat some terrible team in the Divisional round and then lose in the AFC Championship game again." On the one hand, how many AFC teams have even been to a Championship game in the past decade... but on the other, when your team goes roughly twice as often as not, it's hard to fault the disappointment.

@Altherion, agreed, I engaged in some hyperbole.  But it gets a bit tiresome for me talking to the football fans that I do (I'm not from the New ENgland area, though I have been a fan since my high school days, the days of Drew-Bledsoe-much-he-got-a-transfusion-on-the-field, and we don't have a professional football team), where the hatred turned at some point of Belichick towards Brady, like Bill could just plug me in at QB and make me an all-pro QB.  

As to your response to Sperry, I agree, but again I come from an area where the only people I know who like the patriots are my dad, brother, wife and kids.  And honestly, I've stopped telling people who I pull for or wearing apparel, because too many people want to negatively engage me.  It's gets tiresome.  My kids came home from school and told me everyone was mad that the Falcons lost, the hatred runs deep, even in states that don't have a team, which seems odd to me.

That's harsh -- I don't think I've ever met people who were mean about it in person. One of my coworkers was a serious Packers fan, but he was always polite about it.

In other news, I saw this story which is basically the polar opposite of an old fashioned morality tale. Arizona wide receiver Michael Floyd was arrested for drunk driving in December. The Cardinals promptly cut him and he was picked up by the Patriots. He didn't do much in their playoff run with his most notable contribution being a ball bouncing off his hands for an interception against the Texans. He didn't get much trust after that and didn't play in either the AFC Championship or in the Superb Owl... but he still counts as a Superb Owl winner and tweeted accordingly which made some Arizona fans angry.

In short, a DUI led to a Superb Owl ring.

3 hours ago, King Ned Stark said:

@Altherion, agreed, I engaged in some hyperbole.  But it gets a bit tiresome for me talking to the football fans that I do (I'm not from the New ENgland area, though I have been a fan since my high school days, the days of Drew-Bledsoe-much-he-got-a-transfusion-on-the-field, and we don't have a professional football team), where the hatred turned at some point of Belichick towards Brady, like Bill could just plug me in at QB and make me an all-pro QB.  

Well shit then you've had it easy. I remember the glory days of Steve Grogan and Darryl Stingley. Tony Eason getting slapped around by the Bears, etc etc. Pretty much 35 years of heartbreak and futility.

8 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Well shit then you've had it easy. I remember the glory days of Steve Grogan and Darryl Stingley. Tony Eason getting slapped around by the Bears, etc etc. Pretty much 35 years of heartbreak and futility.

We had our share of those years too, Babe Laufenburg, Gary Hogeboom, Steve Pueller, Quincy Carter, etc... So I appreciate the years of Romo even though they never won a big game.

As a life long Redskins fan I can't objectively say whether Cowboys are the most hated team, I just know they decidedly are. However, Romo has thrown me for a loop in that he's earned my admiration, I've never respected a Cowboys player like I respect him and for me it's like a disconnect in my brain there.

However, I can say living on the eastern shore of Maryland, after Redskins and Ravens gear the next I see most of is Patriots stuff.

A weird thing is, eleven years ago I was living in Bowie, MD. Less than 30 miles outside of D.C. and just a bit more than 10 miles from Fed Ex Field in Landover. When I lived there, I saw more people with Ravens stuff than Redskins, but here across the bay, where Baltimore is the closer city and also an actual Maryland city as opposed to D.C., I see more Redskins gear.

I've always rooted for the Patriots as a secondary team. I rooted for them against the Bears in '86 and I was the only one, everyone said I was nuts, they weren't wrong. I rooted for them against the Packers in '97 and again everyone said I was nuts, and again they weren't wrong. Then I rooted for them against the Rams, and one more time, I was in the minority, but I wasn't nuts that time!

http://deadspin.com/let-us-now-praise-the-patriots-super-bowl-defense-1792170043

You know the play where Dontae Hightower strip sacked Matt Ryan because Devonta Freeman whiffed the block? Well if he had managed to pick Hightower up, the play would have almost certainly ended with a Taylor Gabriel touchdown. Since Gabriel had just smoked Malcolm Butler and was running 3-5 yards ahead of the corner, with no deep safety.

I feel like Collinsworth would have pointed that out during the game.

1 minute ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

http://deadspin.com/let-us-now-praise-the-patriots-super-bowl-defense-1792170043

You know the play where Dontae Hightower strip sacked Matt Ryan because Devonta Freeman whiffed the block? Well if he had managed to pick Hightower up, the play would have almost certainly ended with a Taylor Gabriel touchdown. Since Gabriel had just smoked Malcolm Butler and was running 3-5 yards ahead of the corner, with no deep safety.

I had the radio broadcast on. Kevin Harlan > Joe Buck/Aikman even factoring Boomer Esiason into the mix. Harlan did mention this before the Pats took their first snap on offense after the turnover.

7 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

That was great analysis. I enjoyed the entire article. But I'm not 100% convinced that Ryan could have hit Gabriel there. When Hightower hit Ryan's arm, Chris Long was almost in Ryan's face. He had beaten the left tackle (and would draw the holding penalty on that tackle in the next series after the Flowers sack) and it looked like Ryan was trying to unload before Long got there. Ryan may still have gotten the pass off in that case, but it was pretty close and Long may have affected him enough to at least make an incompletion, which granted is not quite as game-changing as a strip-sack in your own territory.

D'Qwell Jackson has been cut. Thank the maker! 

With all of the bad Grigson contracts coming off the books the Colts have just over $50 million in cap space this year. I'm not saying the Giants' success is a blueprint, but a Melvin Ingram and Keviin Zeitler or Ricky Wagner suddenly makes them the best team in the AFC South for what? Maybe $23 million total?

Add a pass rusher or RB in the draft (why not both? Deep RB class this year) and the team is a divisional round threat to get beat by only 20 points in Foxborough.

I think we're up to 4 NE players who are skipping the White House trip, the latest being Blount. Which is good and bad, because honestly I  would put the odds at 2:1 that he would actually punch Trump if he got the chance.

Also, if you don't like college overtime but want something better probably the best thing to do is go for soccer-like overtime, where you simply play a full extra period and whoever is the winner at the end is the winner. You do that two times, then do sudden death. 

8 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

A weird thing is, eleven years ago I was living in Bowie, MD. Less than 30 miles outside of D.C. and just a bit more than 10 miles from Fed Ex Field in Landover. When I lived there, I saw more people with Ravens stuff than Redskins, but here across the bay, where Baltimore is the closer city and also an actual Maryland city as opposed to D.C., I see more Redskins gear.

So until expansion and the Panthers coming into existence the Skins were the team of an entire region, like the Patriots have now in New England and the Broncos have across the entire Mountain time zone. They were the closest team for like 6 states and in the 80s they were winning Superbowls so are you going to latch onto the Falcons or them? Easy choice. 

Could see there being a ton of legacy loyalty to the Skins on the Eastern Shore as a result. But pretty sure that never extended to Baltimore and its surrounding counties. Baltimore and DC have always had a rivalry,  like Philly vs. Pittsburgh, with a pretty sharp dividing line. People on the Baltimore side of that line rooted for the Colts originally and Ravens later and in between doubt many became serious Skins fans. 

Is Bowie in Anne Arundel county? If so, that to me is Ravens country. 

44 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I think we're up to 4 NE players who are skipping the White House trip, the latest being Blount. Which is good and bad, because honestly I  would put the odds at 2:1 that he would actually punch Trump if he got the chance.

Also, if you don't like college overtime but want something better probably the best thing to do is go for soccer-like overtime, where you simply play a full extra period and whoever is the winner at the end is the winner. You do that two times, then do sudden death. 

Think Trump might just invite Belichick and Brady anyway.

52 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

So far, seems to be five.

We've got Blount, Bennett, and Devin McCourty who said they wouldn't go because they don't feel welcome there. Bennett and McCourty also raised fists after the anthem earlier in the year. Hightower said "Been there done that" (he went with his college team when they won a championship) -- and he skipped in 2015 too, so it's plausibly apolitical.

Chris Long isn't going, but isn't talking about why. Notably, he was publicly and thoughtfully supportive of Kaepernick way back in the fall. Some NY Daily News writer tried to tell him that he should go and "stand up to Trump" but it seems like Long is not having it.

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

We've got Blount, Bennett, and Devin McCourty who said they wouldn't go because they don't feel welcome there. Bennett and McCourty also raised fists after the anthem earlier in the year. Hightower said "Been there done that" (he went with his college team when they won a championship) -- and he skipped in 2015 too, so it's plausibly apolitical.

Chris Long isn't going, but isn't talking about why. Notably, he was publicly and thoughtfully supportive of Kaepernick way back in the fall. Some NY Daily News writer tried to tell him that he should go and "stand up to Trump" but it seems like Long is not having it.

Nice. I'm happy to see some pushback coming from this team. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I never thought I'd say that five whole Patriots have earned my undying affection in only a week. 

BF and I sent our donations this morning, was actually pretty fun doing all the research on the organizations. 

Archived