NFL Superbowl: Dont Waste My Overtime

Jace, Extat

9 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Nice. I'm happy to see some pushback coming from this team. 

I'll be honest, I didn't expect more than one or two. This is heartening. I hope more players join in. And some of those white guys besides Long need to pitch in too. I would love for Brown University's own James Develin to say something, but I won't hold my breath.

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'll be honest, I didn't expect more than one or two. This is heartening. I hope more players join in. And some of those white guys besides Long need to pitch in too. I would love for Brown University's own James Develin to say something, but I won't hold my breath.

It's unlikely: 

According to a Bleacher Report straw poll of 43 NFL players released Wednesday, 21 of 21 white players surveyed plan to vote for Donald Trump, while only two out of the 22 African-American players asked plan to back the Republican nominee on Nov. 8.

The sad thing about the NFL - it appears you can be 95% sure of a guy's politics based on his skin color.  

I will say this: your average NFL player gets absolutely murdered by American tax policy. They are making $400k so they fall into the highest tax bracket, but unlike most wage earners who are making $400k a year (your doctors, lawyers, bankers), that dries up for NFL players after 3-5 years. It's pretty easy to see why these guys would vote Republican in general, although you'd hope some would draw the line at Trump.

Has anyone been watching the Turning Point mini-films? They basically show the biggest plays in the game together with commentary from the players, coaches and referees both on the field and after the game (as well as an occasional foray into history). Here's the one for the Superb Owl. I think they're pretty good.

3 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

At least Chris Long seems somewhat cognizant of the concept of privilege and how it relates to race

Which is great though can imagine Chris Long's upbringing was very different from a typical NFL player.

2 hours ago, sperry said:

I will say this: your average NFL player gets absolutely murdered by American tax policy. They are making $400k so they fall into the highest tax bracket, but unlike most wage earners who are making $400k a year (your doctors, lawyers, bankers), that dries up for NFL players after 3-5 years. It's pretty easy to see why these guys would vote Republican in general, although you'd hope some would draw the line at Trump.

i get voting for your self interest. If these guys all backed Mitt Romney, hey cool. But when it's 21 of 21 white NFL players sampled backing Trump, it's like "really?" Now I just assume every white NFL player does. 

But hey, we'll see if he can keep the Jaguars from being outsourced. 

9 hours ago, Jaime L said:

So until expansion and the Panthers coming into existence the Skins were the team of an entire region, like the Patriots have now in New England and the Broncos have across the entire Mountain time zone. They were the closest team for like 6 states and in the 80s they were winning Superbowls so are you going to latch onto the Falcons or them? Easy choice. 

Could see there being a ton of legacy loyalty to the Skins on the Eastern Shore as a result. But pretty sure that never extended to Baltimore and its surrounding counties. Baltimore and DC have always had a rivalry,  like Philly vs. Pittsburgh, with a pretty sharp dividing line. People on the Baltimore side of that line rooted for the Colts originally and Ravens later and in between doubt many became serious Skins fans. 

Is Bowie in Anne Arundel county? If so, that to me is Ravens country. 

P.G. county, but borders Anne Arundel. My parents' bar/restaurant was right across the county line in Crofton, Anne Arundel. I remember they were all skins fans until the Ravens came along and then it was rare to see someone come in talking about the skins or with any gear.

This is a strange story about the planned power-sharing arrangement in the Lynch-Shanahan partnership in San Francisco:

Officially unveiled on Thursday along with the introduction of coach Kyle Shanahan, new G.M. John Lynch explained the division of authority as follows: “I can tell you Kyle has control of the 53. I have the 90. Free agency and draft, I think I have. But, in all of those, it’s also written that, subject to approval of the other guy. And so, that’s the way we wanted it.”

If Shanahan and Lynch form a true partnership, with consensus building and compromise the norm, none of this will be an issue. If they don’t, however, the arrangement has the potential to become a mess.

As explained by Lynch, each guy has veto power over the other guy’s decision-making authority. Which means that Shanahan actually has final say over the 90-man roster, free agency, and the draft and that Lynch has final say over the 53-man roster.

I suppose most GM-coach partnerships have some informal version of vetoing the other guy, so I don't know how unusual this is. It's possible this article is trying to manufacture drama/awkwardness out of a pretty minor thing, as the Niners have a really powerful "organizational fuckuppery" narrative going on now. But it seems weird to talk about it this way. I hope for the team's sake that they can work well together. I am happier when there is a legitimate football team in San Francisco.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/09/49ers-to-employ-unique-power-structure/

I'm not sure Jed York's Santa Clara 49ers deserve a winning organization, although I do feel for the fans.  Shanahan seems like good HC material, even despite staying so aggressive in the super bowl that they allowed the Pats to win....but if any team can wreck him, it's the York niners.

14 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Which is great though can imagine Chris Long's upbringing was very different from a typical NFL player.

i get voting for your self interest. If these guys all backed Mitt Romney, hey cool. But when it's 21 of 21 white NFL players sampled backing Trump, it's like "really?" Now I just assume every white NFL player does. 

But hey, we'll see if he can keep the Jaguars from being outsourced. 

You see a lot of American bravado and gun nuts among white guys in the NFL, and they're almost all from conservative areas. They are like stereotypical trump voters.

34 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It's great that Joe Flacco is using his massive contract to fund studies. 

21 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

How long will Handsome Jimmy remain handsome if he's traded to Cleveland?

Depends on how vain he is. If he chooses a bullet or bridge, one would imagine the body will be quite disfigured.

I sort of get why the Patriots might trade Jimmy, Tom Brady is still playing at the highest level, but he's going to be 40 next season. Sure he takes care of his body, but old quarterbacks don't decline gradually, they fall off a cliff, and Handsome Jimmy's actually demonstrated that he can play pretty well. There's no guarantee that the next guy they get will be more Jimmy Garapolo and less Ryan Mallet.

othh: in the words of the great Jenna Maroney, "We're all models west of the Alleghenies."

18 hours ago, Triskan said:

A staggering stat:  the league average for QB's if you're down two scores in the 2nd half of an NFL game is that you win it 10% of the time (since 2001).  Brady since then has a 33% clip with Luck as the next best at something like 26%.

FiveThirtyEight has been doing a bunch of statistical analyses of the Patriots and I think this fact was one of the things they mentioned. What struck me more is how ridiculously dominant the Belichick-Brady Patriots have been for the entirety of their tenure. Take a look at this picture showing a two dimensional scatter plot of teams with the x-axis being the points scored per drive and the y-axis being points allowed per drive. There appears to be a kind of arc connecting the Ravens, Steelers, Colts and the nameless team corresponding to the point below and to the right of a straight line between the Steelers and Colts. Basically, at best (most teams don't even manage this much) one can have a great defense and an OK offense or a great offense and an OK defense or an above average offense and above average defense, but you can't be great at everything... unless you're the Patriots who live outside of this arc. They have the best offense bar none and by a significant amount and the third-best defense behind only the Ravens and Steelers and not behind by much.

They've never had anything less than a winning season going 9-7 once, 10-6 twice, 11-5 twice, 12-4 five times, 13-3 once, 14-2 four times and 16-0 once for a total average of 12.25 wins per season over 16 seasons. They've were first in the AFC East 14 out of 16 times and the only 2 times their only two losses were on tie breaks. Of those 14 playoff seasons, they won the Division round game 11 times, the AFC Championship 7 times and the Superb Owl 5 times. It's pretty absurd; somebody should write a story with a supernatural explanation for this dominance.

Archived