NFL Superbowl: Dont Waste My Overtime

Jace, Extat

On 2/12/2017 at 8:42 AM, sperry said:

I also don't think they can afford to keep Jimmy and Brady.  Jimmy G is going to want an Osweiler-esque contract after next season.

It only takes one sucker, but, wow, I'd think that Jimmy G looks like the next Osweiler in the eyes of anyone paying attention.

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

It only takes one sucker, but, wow, I'd think that Jimmy G looks like the next Osweiler in the eyes of anyone paying attention.

Until we get close to 32 starting level QBs in the league, there's always going to be one sucker. Since we're nowhere close right now, someone will get desperate and pay.

In fact, this is probably the best market ever for a FA quarterback. You have so many teams that need QBS:

Jets

Browns

Bears

Cardinals

Rams

Jags

49ers

Texans

Broncos

Bills

The available Free Agents/Trade Targets are Romo, Tyrod Taylor, Jay Cutler, Mike Glennon, Bridgewater/Bradford. Maybe Carson Palmer gets another year somewhere. It's ugly after those guys though.

13 minutes ago, sperry said:

The available Free Agents/Trade Targets are Romo, Tyrod Taylor, Jay Cutler, Mike Glennon, Bridgewater/Bradford. Maybe Carson Palmer gets another year somewhere. It's ugly after those guys though.

Among FAs ... (list per rw)

Currently Competent
Kirk Cousins (28) - Might be better than competent
Mike Glennon (27) - Arguable
Brian Hoyer (31) - Arguable
Matt Barkley (26) - Arguable

(Jay Cutler and Tyrod Taylor should join after getting cut officially - TT also may be better than competent)

Was once Considered Competent-ish
Ryan Fitzpatrick (34) -ish is bit of stretch
Geno Smith (26) -ish is a definite stretch

Clipboard Jockeys
Josh McCown (37)
Case Keenum (29)
Landry Jones (27)
Blaine Gabbert (27)
Mark Sanchez (30)
E.J. Manuel (27)
Matt Cassel (34)
Shaun Hill (37)
Christian Ponder (29)
Matt McGloin (27) - Maybe in the group above?
Josh Johnson (30)
T.J. Yates (29)
Dan Orlovsky (33)
Ryan Mallett (28)
Matt Schaub (35)
Kellen Clemens (33)
Kellen Moore (27)
Ryan Nassib (27)
Aaron Murray (26)
Johnny Manziel (24)

1 minute ago, Week said:

Among FAs ... (list per rw)

Currently Competent
Kirk Cousins (28) - Might be better than competent
Mike Glennon (27) - Arguable
Brian Hoyer (31) - Arguable
Matt Barkley (26) - Arguable

(Jay Cutler and Tyrod Taylor should join after getting cut officially - TT also may be better than competent)

Was once Considered Competent-ish
Ryan Fitzpatrick (34) -ish is bit of stretch
Geno Smith (26) -ish is a definite stretch

Clipboard Jockeys
Josh McCown (37)
Case Keenum (29)
Landry Jones (27)
Blaine Gabbert (27)
Mark Sanchez (30)
E.J. Manuel (27)
Matt Cassel (34)
Shaun Hill (37)
Christian Ponder (29)
Matt McGloin (27) - Maybe in the group above?
Josh Johnson (30)
T.J. Yates (29)
Dan Orlovsky (33)
Ryan Mallett (28)
Matt Schaub (35)
Kellen Clemens (33)
Kellen Moore (27)
Ryan Nassib (27)
Aaron Murray (26)
Johnny Manziel (24)

Cousins isn't really an FA because he isn't going anywhere. They'll get a long term deal done this offseason.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

Cousins isn't really an FA because he isn't going anywhere. They'll get a long term deal done this offseason.

Agree, signs are definitely pointing to him remaining. I have not read that a long term deal is imminent though. Seems more like one more year of franchising and then both sides will have (nearly) 3 full years of evidence to determine whether a long-term deal makes sense. 

5 minutes ago, Week said:

Agree, signs are definitely pointing to him remaining. I have not read that a long term deal is imminent though. Seems more like one more year of franchising and then both sides will have (nearly) 3 full years of evidence to determine whether a long-term deal makes sense. 

Problem with franchising him is, I believe, he will become a UFA after this next season if they franchise him a second time. So he has all the leverage and the Skins basically have to get a deal done.

5 minutes ago, sperry said:

Problem with franchising him is, I believe, he will become a UFA after this next season if they franchise him a second time. So he has all the leverage and the Skins basically have to get a deal done.

You would think they would franchise him and then work to get the longer deal done. Washington would be silly to let him walk. He is at least a known quantity versus a FA who could be a "system" QB.

As to "system" guys, I am more and more leaning toward not wanting Dallas to sign any big free agents. It seems more and more that the big FA's fail more than they succeed. I used to look at it every year and want them to go after the big name, but man, seems like when I see that player on the team they signed with, they are rarely as good as they were on their original team.

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

I'm not sure that's fair.  Osweiler looked mediocre at best when he started.  Jimmy looked good in 2 games against competent defenses. Osweiler had several games of mediocrity (6-4 record, 10/6 TD/INT, 61% accuracy, 7.2 YPA) and was given a big contract anyway.  Jimmy at least looked good in his starting action (2-0 record, 6/0 TD/INT, 70% accuracy, 8.4 YPA, but it's small sample size.  Jimmy had the intangibles, quick delivery, and mental makeup, but slipped to the second round because of concerns about his size and arm strength.  Osweiler had the size and arm strength, but slipped to the second round because of concerns about his mental makeup.

Now, there's still HUGE risk with Jimmy.  It's an incredibly small sample size of live game action, and I certainly wouldn't want to pay him Pro Bowler money long-term without him having a prove it season.  But there's more to like about with him, and his concerns are different from the concerns with Osweiler. 

Yeah, I make no judgment on whether Jimmy G will be any good or not. The sample size is too small, and the system is too good. But there is zero doubt given the league's QB situation right now that someone will pay him after next season if he hits FA.

10 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

I'm not sure that's fair.  Osweiler looked mediocre at best when he started.  Jimmy looked good in 2 games against competent defenses. Osweiler had several games of mediocrity (6-4 record, 10/6 TD/INT, 61% accuracy, 7.2 YPA) and was given a big contract anyway.  Jimmy at least looked good in his starting action (2-0 record, 6/0 TD/INT, 70% accuracy, 8.4 YPA, but it's small sample size.  Jimmy had the intangibles, quick delivery, and mental makeup, but slipped to the second round because of concerns about his size and arm strength.  Osweiler had the size and arm strength, but slipped to the second round because of concerns about his mental makeup.

Now, there's still HUGE risk with Jimmy.  It's an incredibly small sample size of live game action, and I certainly wouldn't want to pay him Pro Bowler money long-term without him having a prove it season.  But there's more to like about with him, and his concerns are different from the concerns with Osweiler. 

Even with a 10 game sample, there's huge risk. The Texans thought they were getting a mediocre quarterback with upside. What they got was a horrendous quarterback that technically has upside because there's not much lower he can go.

Not arguing against anything you said, but living in Houston, I find the whole Osweiler ordeal hilarious.

5 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Even with a 10 game sample, there's huge risk. The Texans thought they were getting a mediocre quarterback with upside. What they got was a horrendous quarterback that technically has upside because there's not much lower he can go.

Not arguing against anything you said, but living in Houston, I find the whole Osweiler ordeal hilarious.

As a Cowboys fan who has a lot of friends and family who root for the Texans (we're only an hour away. My brother actually lives walking distance from NRG), I find it hilarious too. Especially when the Cowboys hit Dak in the mid round draft pick lottery. The funniest thing was watching Texans fans trash him well past the point where you had to acknowledge he was a decent starter. 

I love JJ Watt, but I don't like most Texans fans.  So many are insufferable and have a huge little brother complex with the Cowboys (and if one of you brings up I'm an Aggie, A&M is 5 years older than UT, thank you very much). Although to be fair, I know a lot of Cowboys fans that are absolute dicks, with Alabama-fan levels of entitlement without the onfield performance to back it up since I was in diapers.

2 hours ago, sperry said:

Yeah, I make no judgment on whether Jimmy G will be any good or not. The sample size is too small, and the system is too good. But there is zero doubt given the league's QB situation right now that someone will pay him after next season if he hits FA.

Yes Belichek has to be taken into account.  He got Matt Cassell to 11-5 when Brady went down unexpectedly.    With Jimmy, he had plenty of warning that Brady would be out for 4 games and had time to prepare.  So no telling how well Garrapalo would do away from the Patriots system.

I would factor in the Belichick factor with Jimmy G.  Bill does a great job of hiding flaws.  But those flaws become apparent after time or without Bill.   I wouldn't give Garappolo any more money than I'd give a young Matt Cassel.

21 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

(and if one of you brings up I'm an Aggie, A&M is 5 years older than UT, thank you very much).

Five extra years of molesting livestock is not an achievement most people would go out of their way to bring up. :P

18 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Five extra years of molesting livestock is not an achievement most people would go out of their way to bring up. :P

At least we don't eat our mascot as part of our regular diet.  (Rivalry aside, they're both great schools.  The only real discernible difference outside of liberal arts is your preference between the culture of the two). 

I'm hoping A&M finally gets their first #1 overall draft pick this year.  They've had a few come close at #2 (Miller and Joeckel most recently), but never gotten that #1.  Myles could be hurting himself with the plea to Cowboys video though, although I don't think I'd place that much stock on it if I was Cleveland as long as he interviews well (which I fully expect him to).

17 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

At least we don't eat our mascot as part of our regular diet.  (Rivalry aside, they're both great schools.  The only real discernible difference outside of liberal arts is your preference between the culture of the two). 

I'm pretty sure that most of the South does regardless of what it is and hates those dirty liberal bastards for denying them that right

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I'm pretty sure that most of the South does regardless of what it is and hates those dirty liberal bastards for denying them that right

Alabama doesn't eat Elephants. Auburn doesn't eat Eagles or Tigers.  Arkansas, USCar and Florida are dumb as hell and don't count. Mississippi State doesn't eat Bulldogs. Ole Miss doesn't eat Rebels (although maybe Bears if they live in an area where they can be hunted). 

Of course, I guess Oregon probably does eat Duck, and Colorado eats Buffalo, so I'm not sure that's exactly a Southern thing. More like my joking rivalry complaint can be said about multiple schools across any greater geographic region. 

Just now, JonSnow4President said:

Alabama doesn't eat Elephants. Auburn doesn't eat Eagles or Tigers.  Arkansas, USCar and Florida are dumb as hell and don't count. Mississippi State doesn't eat Bulldogs. Ole Miss doesn't eat Rebels (although maybe Bears if they live in an area where they can be hunted). 

lies

Just now, JonSnow4President said:

Of course, I guess Oregon probably does eat Duck, and Colorado eats Buffalo, so I'm not sure that's exactly a Southern thing. More like my joking rivalry complaint can be said about multiple schools across any greater geographic region. 

The difference is that kids don't go to Oregon State to eat beaver, but they do enroll at Arkansas to eat pig. 

Also - why the hell does Auburn have an eagle and a tiger?

Archived