NBA 2017: The Kings of Comedy

Jaime L

57 minutes ago, Relic said:

The all star game needs stakes,  and incentive. Large donation to player favorite charities or something. The lack of defense makes it unwatchable,  but if these dudes actually tried to defend each other it would be much more fun. 

Losers have to wrestle alligators? 

7 hours ago, Relic said:

He actually drafted very well. Especially in the late first and second rounds. 

Since Magic was put in place I've been thinking about this.  We're having an all time/HOF draft but not just for the playing years, also for their coaching/management/front office after they retire.  So you're picking for the next, say, 10 years as a player and then their front office skills for maybe 20 or 30 years. 

Who ya gonna call?  Does anyone compare to West?  All time player, 2x exec of the year?  7 championships to his credit in the front office (with two teams)?

1 minute ago, Greywolf2375 said:

Since Magic was put in place I've been thinking about this.  We're having an all time/HOF draft but not just for the playing years, also for their coaching/management/front office after they retire.  So you're picking for the next, say, 10 years as a player and then their front office skills for maybe 20 or 30 years. 

Who ya gonna call?  Does anyone compare to West?  All time player, 2x exec of the year?  7 championships to his credit in the front office (with two teams)?

Closest would have to be Pat Riley in my book.

NBA Champ as a player.  1 NBA title as assistant coach.  5x NBA Champ as head coach.  3x NBA Champ as Executive.

I think the analytics revolution has kind of killed the player as a GM. Maybe once guys like Harden and Steph get to front office age you'll see ex-players be valuable in management, but I think you're going to see a lost generation where these guys just can't accept the facts that the data are providing.

58 minutes ago, sperry said:

I think the analytics revolution has kind of killed the player as a GM. Maybe once guys like Harden and Steph get to front office age you'll see ex-players be valuable in management, but I think you're going to see a lost generation where these guys just can't accept the facts that the data are providing.

Harden will be too busy blowing all of his money at strip clubs to be an executive.  

Boo yeah, Bojan Bogdanovich. Of all the Nets players I haven't watched this year, he's one of them. 

This is the second straight year Grunfeld has tried to fix a flawed roster at the expense of a first round pick which means he'll have to keep robbing Peter to pay Paul going forward. But Markieff Morris has actually been really good this year so how much can I really complain? 

Everytime I think I'm out on Grunfeld, he pulls me back in. This team is way better than expected and legit fun to watch. It now looks like the Wizards have hit on 4 of their last 5 first round draft picks (Wall, Beal, Porter, Oubre), which is ironic for a guy who compulsively trades away picks. And the Kings and Magic have reminded me how much worse things can be. He's still not one of the GMs playing chess, but he's at least really good at checkers. 

The Sixers have traded Nerlens Noel to the Mavericks.  Overall a very underwhelming deal, but the surprising bit on this is that this means they are likely to keep Okafor in Philly; which considering all the chatter lately is really surprising.

35 minutes ago, Rhom said:

The Sixers have traded Nerlens Noel to the Mavericks.  Overall a very underwhelming deal, but the surprising bit on this is that this means they are likely to keep Okafor in Philly; which considering all the chatter lately is really surprising.

Not necessarily. Since they got Bogut in the deal they can still try and trade Okafor, though I have no idea what his actual value is or what team would benefit from adding him.

Also, it sounds like the Celtics are willing to part with one of their top Nets' picks if it means landing Paul George. The Celtics would be legit contenders if they can pull off that trade. 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not necessarily. Since they got Bogut in the deal they can still try and trade Okafor, though I have no idea what his actual value is or what team would benefit from adding him.

Bogut is pretty much a lock to be bought out if he remains a Sixer.  Supposedly they've already started preliminary buyout discussions with him in the event they can't flip him in the next hour and a half.

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Seems like you're correct. Funny enough, the last article I read has him possibly landing in......Cleveland. 

Yup.  Makes perfect sense for him.  They need another big man and he wants another shot at winning a title.

11 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yup.  Makes perfect sense for him.  They need another big man and he wants another shot at winning a title.

Plus, IIRC, he took the trade away from GS a lot harder than Barnes did. He probably wants a bit of revenge. 

3 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Lol @ pick protection in Noel deal, 1-18 this year, becomes 2 2nd rounders otherwise. So, in other words, 2 second rounders that Colangelo can call a first rounder for a little while. Optics Forever.

Still bummed that the Wolves failed to get Noel. The Sixers were offering up pretty cheap earlier in the year.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Plus, IIRC, he took the trade away from GS a lot harder than Barnes did. He probably wants a bit of revenge. 

He also can't go back to Golden State, so Cleveland is the most obvious next destination.

Archived