NBA 2017: The Kings of Comedy

Jaime L

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Think this is maybe the Warriors/Cavs effect. Those teams are so far ahead in terms of talent that it seems to have put most of the rest of the league in a sort of holding pattern in terms of trading to make a run at the title.

The Cavs window has to be closing though doesn't it?  Love seems to be getting injured more often.  LeBron can't have too many more miles in the tank.  Kyrie is great in context of this team, but the Cavs were terrible when it was just him...

How much longer do we really think they have at the top?  Two seasons?

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

The Cavs window has to be closing though doesn't it?  Love seems to be getting injured more often.  LeBron can't have too many more miles in the tank.  Kyrie is great in context of this team, but the Cavs were terrible when it was just him...

Maybe, but I don't think the Warriors can keep all their pieces past another season either. So it's kind of the same deal. I think many teams are just waiting for that cap situation to become unmanageable, then you make your move. And maybe with one of the pieces they lose.

24 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I wouldn't say Love is getting injured more often.  He was healthy pretty much all last year, and his issue two years ago was a freak injury on a dirty play by Olynyk.  

The team pretty much rests on LeBron, though.  As long as he's playing at a high level, they'll contend.

49 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Much like Tim Duncan, I wouldn't count against LeBron until we actually see some sort of evidence that he's not playing at a super-high level anymore. And as long as he's at that level, any team he's on will have a shot; especially if Eastern teams don't get their act together enough to realistically challenge him.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Maybe, but I don't think the Warriors can keep all their pieces past another season either. So it's kind of the same deal. I think many teams are just waiting for that cap situation to become unmanageable, then you make your move. And maybe with one of the pieces they lose.

It's hard to see anyone overtaking the Cavs and the Warriors over the next few seasons outside of a fluke series, so maybe it makes sense to hold onto those two top tier Nets draft picks. Put once the Cavs and the Warriors begin to fall the Wolves, Bucks and a few other unseen teams should be turning into juggernauts. So who knows when Boston will have a chance to strike.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I wouldn't say Love is getting injured more often.  He was healthy pretty much all last year, and his issue two years ago was a freak injury on a dirty play by Olynyk.  

The team pretty much rests on LeBron, though.  As long as he's playing at a high level, they'll contend.

Love was always hurt when he was in MN. He is kind of injury prone.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Think this is maybe the Warriors/Cavs effect. Those teams are so far ahead in terms of talent that it seems to have put most of the rest of the league in a sort of holding pattern in terms of trading to make a run at the title.

Fair point. And even with Butler I don't think they beat Cleveland. But maybe they give 'em a run for their money. 

They seem to be walking the very tricky balance of both being good now and great later. But even if with all their picks they'll still need a good deal of luck to be great later. Maybe if they already had one guy I'm sure will be great in 3-4 years, like an AD or KAT to build around, it'd be different.

It's clear their biggest fear is cashing out on these immensely valuable picks too early and peaking at something below a title contender. But it's almost as much a risk of cashing out too late. if they don't play it right, could easily see them ending up good now, good later but never great in the way that wins a title. 

Holy fuck do I love PJ Tucker. He basically shut down Isiah Thomas in the 4th quarter.  If Boston plays the Raps in the playoffs the Celtics have no chance.  They didn't match up well prior to the trades.  It's much worse now.

EDIT:  Also if there isn't a heavy fine or suspension for Isiah Thomas miming shooting Demarre Carroll(because Carroll did a flagrant 1 on him) then the league should be ashamed of itself.

Thing is these windows will close on the Warriors, but as long as LeBron has Kyrie and another piece or two  (shooters) to spread the floor, as long as LeBron is healthy he'said competing for titles, period. 

Now, withe the addition of Williams and Bogut, the Casts chance and repeating are looking a lot better. So, what I'm trying to say is, this short window for GSM might not even produce a ring. And,an how would I love to hear the Bay area howl if that's the case.

17 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Thing is these windows will close on the Warriors, but as long as LeBron has Kyrie and another piece or two  (shooters) to spread the floor, as long as LeBron is healthy he'said competing for titles, period. 

Now, withe the addition of Williams and Bogut, the Casts chance and repeating are looking a lot better. So, what I'm trying to say is, this short window for GSM might not even produce a ring. And,an how would I love to hear the Bay area howl if that's the case.

Honestly I think the Warriors and the Cavs are more or less in the same place. Lot of miles on those tires.I wouldn't be surprised to see Lebron's game start to dip some over the next couple of seasons. He can only carry that team for so long, methinks.

Not sure I see any reason why Golden State's window would be shorter than that of the Cavs.

Unless the idea is that they cannot make it work financially once Curry gets a new deal? Seems to me this foursome will try to stay together, and they are still young.

Interesting btw that both Bogut and Deron Williams sign with the Cavs. Definitely strengthens that team, especially Bogut coming in. Apparently he was pretty lousy for Dallas but he can't have regressed that much in the space of a few months, he was good for Golden State last season.

Deron Williams on the other hand has been dire for years, but you'd think the Cavs, with that gaping hole at backup PG, will still be very pleased with that.

On 2/25/2017 at 2:00 AM, DunderMifflin said:

He will be in the stands fighting security and feuding with the team owner in 30 years.

Took Boogie 2 games and 90 seconds to get another technical foul. Pelicans are now 0-3 since he came on. 

5 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Not sure I see any reason why Golden State's window would be shorter than that of the Cavs.

Unless the idea is that they cannot make it work financially once Curry gets a new deal? Seems to me this foursome will try to stay together, and they are still young.

Interesting btw that both Bogut and Deron Williams sign with the Cavs. Definitely strengthens that team, especially Bogut coming in. Apparently he was pretty lousy for Dallas but he can't have regressed that much in the space of a few months, he was good for Golden State last season.

Deron Williams on the other hand has been dire for years, but you'd think the Cavs, with that gaping hole at backup PG, will still be very pleased with that.

Yeah, it's the finances that are sure to blow up. If Durant exercises his option, it could blow up next season. The Warriors front office has said they are willing to go deep into the luxury tax, but it's one thing to say it and another to do it. I don't see how they keep the big four together longer than one more season, really. 

3 hours ago, Relic said:

Took Boogie 2 games and 90 seconds to get another technical foul. Pelicans are now 0-3 since he came on. 

Apparently it's impossible to win in the current NBA with shitty guard/wing play. In 2000, they'd be unstoppable.

There's now 5 teams ahead of the Pelicans for the 8th seed...including the Kings. 

Archived