NBA 2017: The Kings of Comedy

Jaime L

35 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Mad Max Vernon Maxwell. He probably had the talent to be a great. Notorious attitude issues though. 

I'm remembering the Gary Payton + weight vs Maxwell incident.

Vernon Maxwell was insane. Not in a metaphorical sense, either. 

If you want off the charts ego: talent ratio, you can't go much farther than Mike James. His season ending press conference one year involved him showing up, huge smile, sang the entirety of 'I Believe I Can Fly' and then exit, stage right. People chuckled when he began, but as it became apparent he was going start to finish the scrum retreated into kinda stunned silence, everyone looking at one another with that 'is this really happening' face. Awesome.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think they have a situation similar to Boston, where they're not as talented as other top level teams, but the pieces fit well together, they're very well coached and they're giving maximum effort on a nightly bases (it's also important to highlight that they had a lot of injuries earlier in season, hence their terrible start). I suspect that once the playoffs roll around they'll come crashing back to Earth. 

Good point. Smart coaches like Brad Stevens and Erik Spolestra can steal a lot of games in the regular season. Gets a lot harder in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Good point. Smart coaches like Brad Stevens and Erik Spolestra can steal a lot of games in the regular season. Gets a lot harder in the playoffs. 

Yeah. That said I wouldn't be shocked if they got out of the first round (assuming they finish higher than the eight seed. 

Some things I've noticed..

• Westbrook scores 58 points, but OKC still loses 4 straight games now. I would at the very least want to see different starters than Roberson at SF and Sabonis at PF. Nowhere near good enough. 
  • Golden State is really struggling without Durant, racking up the losses.
  • Wall and Beal keep kicking ass.
  • The Clippers have had Paul, Griffin and DeAndre together for a number of games but they're still not looking good. I do wonder if this is their last run together. All depends on playoffs performance, but so far a shambolic year for them.
  • T-Wolves still have a chance to make the playoffs. Shame about LaVine, but Towns and Wiggins are special.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

• Westbrook scores 58 points, but OKC still loses 4 straight games now. I would at the very least want to see different starters than Roberson at SF and Sabonis at PF. Nowhere near good enough. 

I wonder if nights like this well help or hurt his chances of winning the MVP. Right now I'm leaning towards the latter.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

• The Clippers have had Paul, Griffin and DeAndre together for a number of games but they're still not looking good. I do wonder if this is their last run together. All depends on playoffs performance, but so far a shambolic year for them.
  • T-Wolves still have a chance to make the playoffs. Shame about LaVine, but Towns and Wiggins are special.

The Wolves thrashed the Clippers last night, and what was most shocking is that KAT physically dominated both Griffin and Jordan. He's going to be a monster in a few years when he fully develops. 

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

• Wall and Beal keep kicking ass.

And Bojan Bogdanovich! Had never watched him play before he came over to the Wizards but dude has been exactly the soulless gunner the bench needed. He singlehandedly won 'em two games they would've lost without him, including one where he somehow scored 29 points on 9 shots. I'm not sure he has an assist yet as a Wizard, but that's not what this is all about. 

5 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Commentators still haven't figured out if his name is pronounced Bo-Han or Boy-Han. I routinely hear both ways during the same game.

Hey as long as they're not saying Bogdan Bogdanovich which apparently is a totally different player. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Manhole Eunuchsbane,

Tonight, we do battle! 

Oh Snap! Bring it on, Wolf-lover!

Your boys have been picking it up of late, no?

I'll have to tune in tonight, I haven't watched a Warriors game in at least a week. Missed a stinker against the Celts earlier in the week from what I hear.

Archived