NBA 2017: The Kings of Comedy

Jaime L

20 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

@Manhole Eunuchsbane,

Tonight, we do battle! 

Another loss for Golden State, and Minnesota beats the Clippers and Golden State back to back.

Still, a 4 horse race for the no.8 spot in the West ( and that does not incude New Orleans).

15 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Bulls were up 10 after the 1st quarter, and are now down 29 after the 3rd. What a disaster this year is. Kinda wished they just fully commited to blowing this team up and starting over. 

It's just not working and I don't see them making the playoffs. I think Detroit has just a bit more talent and spring in their step.

Miami is going to jump in there for sure, and I could see Indiana fall out as well in favour of the Bucks.

Both George and Butler have looked less than stellar since the trade deadline. Maybe they are both disappointed, or just tired of dragging along these insipid teams.

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

Take it back!  *

*Sorry, I think my outburst can be explained by an impending dread that comes, clinically speaking, when one senses that they are in basketball purgatory as Portland surely is. 

Nah. KAT is a tranformative talent, with the ability to morph a franchise from a loser into a contender. 

That said do you guys know that the Seattle Supersonics have played in a playoff game more recently than the Timberwolves?

On 3/11/2017 at 0:57 PM, Calibandar said:

Another loss for Golden State, and Minnesota beats the Clippers and Golden State back to back.

We also recently beat the Jazz in Utah by 27 points. They've looked sharp as of late.

On 3/11/2017 at 7:43 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, you have to like the Wolves. Impressive young team. I hope they get the 8 spot. 

We won't, but we still crushed your Dubs by 1 point. :P

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

We also recently beat the Jazz in Utah by 27 points. They've looked sharp as of late.

We won't, but we still crushed your Dubs by 1 point. :P

This is all well and good but now you face the mighty Wizards who have won 5 in a row. Who cares if they've also been behind by 10-20 points in each of those 5 games, and only won the Portland game due to a blown call by the refs, all that matters is the Wizards are on a West Coast road swing to rip the hearts out of all the bad to mediocre Western Conference teams and the T'Wolves are next. 

ETA: TBH, I'd be surprised if the Wizards win tonight. It's the end of a long road trip and they've just played back to back OT games on Friday/Saturday. With the way the T'Wolves are playing, imagine it'll be tough to match that energy. 

3 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

This is all well and good but now you face the mighty Wizards who have won 5 in a row. Who cares if they've also been behind by 10-20 points in each of those 5 games, and only won the Portland game due to a blown call by the refs, all that matters is the Wizards are on a West Coast road swing to rip the hearts out of all the bad to mediocre Western Conference teams and the T'Wolves are next. 

ETA: TBH, I'd be surprised if the Wizards win tonight. It's the end of a long road trip and they've just played back to back OT games on Friday/Saturday. With the way the T'Wolves are playing, imagine it'll be tough to match that energy. 

Also the dog is gonna eat our homework!

On March 10, 2017 at 8:58 PM, DunderMifflin said:

I've always had a tiny suspicion that's growing lately that says Boogie kinda sucks, or at least is overrated.

Depends what you mean, of course, but he's had the Sad Clowns playing better than their opposition while he's on the court virtually his entire career:

2010-11 (age 20 season): -2.8
2011-12 (age 21 season): +3.5
2012-13 (age 22 season): -3.6
2013-14 (age 23 season): +3.9
2014-15 (age 24 season): +9.5
2015-16 (age 25 season): +6.8
2016-17 (age 26 season): +4.7

And his old team are 1-8 since he left.

21 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

?

Remind me JA, you're a Raptors fan right? 

Eh, a very lapsed one. The Colangelo run (and the near godlike faith it engendered in other fans) killed me...was a HUGE fan, probably way too invested, and just kinda burnt out. Ironically, the team almost immediately won a lot more...though my frustration was always more philosophical rather than about winning or losing...but either way I've become numb and cynical and just can't get it back. I don't think I'd be much of a believer in the current team if I could, but dunno how much of that is just being jaded.

oh, as for the homework think, was just taking a poke. No real intent.

edit 2: the last straw was when Masai abandoned the rebuild when the Knicks trade fell through and the team improved. I'd kinda put my remaining hopes into his (reported) commitment to a sincere rebuild and when it too was dropped for the sake of immediate success, I lost the last shits I had to give, if that makes any sense.

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Eh, a very lapsed one. The Colangelo run (and the near godlike faith it engendered in other fans) killed me...was a HUGE fan, probably way too invested, and just kinda burnt out. Ironically, the team almost immediately won a lot more...though my frustration was always more philosophical rather than about winning or losing...but either way I've become numb and cynical and just can't get it back. I don't think I'd be much of a believer in the current team if I could, but dunno how much of that is just being jaded.

oh, as for the homework think, was just taking a poke. No real intent.

edit 2: the last straw was when Masai abandoned the rebuild when the Knicks trade fell through and the team improved. I'd kinda put my remaining hopes into his (reported) commitment to a sincere rebuild and when it too was dropped for the sake of immediate success, I lost the last shits I had to give, if that makes any sense.

That makes sense, but man Raptors are a fun team now! Masai's clearly smarter than most GMs and managed to rebuild on the fly and now they have a lot of nice pieces. I don't think they're winning a title with the current core but that's 90% of the NBA. 

There are times where a sincere rebuild are necessary but they're usually grueling and miserable. Some like Orlando get stuck in a perpetual rebuild. Or like Philly has undertaken the most sincere rebuild ever and there's still no guarantee they'll ever be good. These days, I'm of the opinion being upper middle class in the NBA ain't so bad. 

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:

No matter how good your roster is, you can never call a team with as lame of a name as the Wizards mighty. Talk to me when they go back to being the Bullets. 

Also, we will stomp you tonight. You hear me? Now go put your teeth on the curb so we can get this over with.

2 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Also the dog is gonna eat our homework!

Depends what you mean, of course, but he's had the Sad Clowns playing better than their opposition while he's on the court virtually his entire career:

2010-11 (age 20 season): -2.8
2011-12 (age 21 season): +3.5
2012-13 (age 22 season): -3.6
2013-14 (age 23 season): +3.9
2014-15 (age 24 season): +9.5
2015-16 (age 25 season): +6.8
2016-17 (age 26 season): +4.7

And his old team are 1-8 since he left.

He could be like a terrell owens. Monster stats but sometimes not worth the antics.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No matter how good your roster is, you can never call a team with as lame of a name as the Wizards mighty. Talk to me when they go back to being the Bullets. 

Also, we will stomp you tonight. You hear me? Now go put your teeth on the curb so we can get this over with.

Well that went like I expected. Wizards had nothing left in the tank against a team of freakish 22 year olds. Looks like Rubio especially killed it. Still think you're probably kicking yourself @Tywin et al. for not making that move for D. Rose. Instead of 19 assists could've had 19 attempts at heroball as KAT glares daggers at him. 

ETA: I do think it's telling how much better the T'Wolves are without Zach LaVine in the lineup. Brandon Rush is a way better fit as someone who both plays defense and GTFO of the way when KAT and Wiggins do work. 

37 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Well that went like I expected. Wizards had nothing left in the tank against a team of freakish 22 year olds. Looks like Rubio especially killed it. Still think you're probably kicking yourself @Tywin et al. for not making that move for D. Rose. Instead of 19 assists could've had 19 attempts at heroball as KAT glares daggers at him. 

Eh, I expected us to blow it in the end. It's crazy how many times this year we've built up monster leads in the first quarter only to blow the game in the end. If that wasn't the case we'd probably be the 6th or 7th seed.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure KAT would have choked Rose out at some point. That trade never made sense to me in the first place, and Rubio is looking great now that he can finally score.

40 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

ETA: I do think it's telling how much better the T'Wolves are without Zach LaVine in the lineup. Brandon Rush is a way better fit as someone who both plays defense and GTFO of the way when KAT and Wiggins do work. 

Idk if that's fair. LaVine was averaging 20 ppg this season, was our best shooter and was developing into one of the best pure scorers in the NBA, plus his defense was better this year. I think there is an argument to be made that he should have been coming off the bench as our 6th man, but I don't think he was holding KAT or Wiggins back. 

Archived