NBA 2017: The Kings of Comedy

Jaime L

Definately with the D-league the pro level is superior. Before that there was the case that pro staffs didn't have time to teach rudimentary fundamentals to raw prospects. But the D- league really solves any issues with that.

I can imagine the back in the day frustration of a larry brown or pat riley trying to run practice drills. "This kid cant even throw a bounce pass?!?! Fuck him!!!!!"

4 hours ago, briantw said:

He wasn't winning a title either way.  Might as well take the money.

True. But he obviously thought Chicago was gonna be a much better team and not just a toxic environment. Nobody wants to be around that shit, especially at the end of a hall of fame career.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Oh sure... but moreso, I was really taking more of a shot at Heild.  To say that Kris Dunn has had a bad rookie season and then imply that taking Hield would have been a better choice is laughable in the context I posed.  He clearly is not having any better of a season than Dunn.

Hield is having a good season. His overall numbers are being bogged down by his atrocious first 6 weeks of the season, but he's clawed up to respectable shooting percentages and has especially been playing well with the Kings. Dunn has been awful.  He can't shoot, and that's going to be a huge problem. Hield will be a pure scorer, but would be an excellent third option playing with Towns and Wiggins. It would have been a great fit that opened up the lane for those two cause they could just run Hield around off screens like a mad man allowing Wiggins to drive.

17 hours ago, Biter said:

I have a few questions...

Why are Utah among the top teams in the West? Do they have a great coach? Who are their best players?

Do you think Joel Embiid will win the Rookie of the Year Award despite getting injured?

I think Saric will probably get Rookie of the Year. Embiid would be deserving as well simply because when he was on th court, he was far and away the best " Rookie". His teammate Saric on the other hand has really had a strong second half and wasn't bad before that either. A very nice player. I am looking forward to finally seeing Simmons, Embiid and Saric on the court together, but that won't be before November.

Re: Utah.

Hayward and Gobert are their best pieces. Hayward is a very fine wing, and Gobert has emerged as a 7'2 center who can actually play a bit. They've upgraded in point guard this season by trading for George Hill, and that was a weak area before. So basically they are just a very solid team, hard to beat, and very, very consistent game in game out. They just beat the Clippers quite handily, and look to finish ahead of them in the West.

I know the NBA will never let this happen, but I'm really hoping that the Lakers pick falls outside the top 3 so Philly gets it, so Philly has two top 5 picks and can add guards to their outrageous arsenal of talent. I just want vindication for Sam Hinkie.

Haha, indeed.

I think they might finish in this order.

Brooklyn-Lakers-Sixers-Suns-Magic

The Sixers have two more wins than Phoenix but Phoenix is going to have to really tank to not go beyond that whereas I am not sure where this depleted Sixers team gets *any* more wins from.

So without the lottery, the Lakers would be safe, but it does not take that much to go outside of the top 3...

Not sure what the Knicks are tanking for btw. They just lost to the Nets at home, but they're never getting into the top 5.

21 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Not sure what the Knicks are tanking for btw. They just lost to the Nets at home, but they're never getting into the top 5.

A sign and trade for Blake Griffin or something equally horrible.

On 3/16/2017 at 1:58 PM, Rhom said:

Oh sure... but moreso, I was really taking more of a shot at Heild.  To say that Kris Dunn has had a bad rookie season and then imply that taking Hield would have been a better choice is laughable in the context I posed.  He clearly is not having any better of a season than Dunn.

It's also worth noting that Dunn has played very much because there are a lot of guys ahead of him and Thibs doesn't go deep into his bench too often. All that said, the organization is still committed to Dunn as the point guard of the future and they say they love what they're seeing at practice. I suspect that had we selected Heild instead of Dunn that he would be doing even worse than Dunn currently is. 

52 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's also worth noting that Dunn has played very much because there are a lot of guys ahead of him and Thibs doesn't go deep into his bench too often. All that said, the organization is still committed to Dunn as the point guard of the future and they say they love what they're seeing at practice. I suspect that had we selected Heild instead of Dunn that he would be doing even worse than Dunn currently is. 

He's a point guard who can't shoot. Unless he's Russell Westbrook level at everything else, that's a big, big problem. Hield would have been a perfect fit on the Wolves for the reasons outlined above.

People can learn to shoot though, especially guards. Not everyone, some ppl are hopeless cases.

Seems like an issue with building unready prospects these days. By the time they get whipped into shape their contract has run out and a better team reaps the rewards if you don't cough up the cash

14 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

People can learn to shoot though, especially guards. Not everyone, some ppl are hopeless cases.

Seems like an issue with building unready prospects these days. By the time they get whipped into shape their contract has run out and a better team reaps the rewards if you don't cough up the cash

College FT% is usually one of the largest indicators (moreso than college 3 point percentage) of whether or not a player can develop an outside shot in the NBA. Dunn was a terrible free throw shooter in college. Time will tell, but if he's going to become a quality NBA player I think it's going to have to be as a Marcus Smart type guy, which really isn't what the T-Wolves need.

I loved the little scuffle last night in the OKC vs GS game. I think Westbrook would make mince meat of Curry in about 2.44566 seconds. Found it funny that after Russel pushed Curry away from the other guy, Curry went into somebody better hold me back mode, lol. But, this would never be a series if they meet, especially with a healthy KD. That being said, I'd love to see Russel get a couple W's of his pure will. 

If, OKC would spend some money and kinda of emulate what the Rockets have surrounded Harden with, I think OKC would be a real threat in the West. Westbrook just doesn't have enough around him. But, he doesn't need a superstar either, he HAS to be the man. He needs good shooters, and bodies down low. They're out there, now, will Presti spend a little Money? I think his advance metrics get in the way of making rational moves sometimes and ultimately hurt them. Just give Westbrook some deadly shooters on the wings and this team is competing for 2-4 seed.

6 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

See that. And wasn't what I was implying. Westbrook would squash Curry if it came to it. 

Pretty much everyone in the NBA would squash Curry in a fight.  He's a spoiled rich kid who's physically built like a sixteen year old girl.

Krause was cast as the villain of the 90's Bulls because of his rifts with Jordan and Jackson, but he was the architect of the 90's Bulls. Yes he inherited Michael Jordan but he traded Olden Polynice for Scottie Pippen in the '87 draft and then drafted Horace Grant. He hired Phil Jackson, Tex Winters, and Johnny Bach. He retooled the Bulls after the first three-peat with guys like Kerr, Kukoc, Longley, Wennington, and Ron Harper to help fuel the second three-peat. And in perhaps his greatest coup, he traded Will Perdue straight-up for Dennis Rodman.

Things didn't workout in his attempt to re-build after the Jordan years but he did draft some good players like Elton Brand, Ron Artest, and Jamal Crawford. RIP, Jerry.

1 minute ago, DunderMifflin said:

I bet he could wipe the floor with Zach Lavine

That fight would remind me of the one from Ocarina of Time where Link fights a shadow version of himself, only way less cool.

4 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I loved the little scuffle last night in the OKC vs GS game. I think Westbrook would make mince meat of Curry in about 2.44566 seconds. Found it funny that after Russel pushed Curry away from the other guy, Curry went into somebody better hold me back mode, lol. But, this would never be a series if they meet, especially with a healthy KD. That being said, I'd love to see Russel get a couple W's of his pure will. 

If, OKC would spend some money and kinda of emulate what the Rockets have surrounded Harden with, I think OKC would be a real threat in the West. Westbrook just doesn't have enough around him. But, he doesn't need a superstar either, he HAS to be the man. He needs good shooters, and bodies down low. They're out there, now, will Presti spend a little Money? I think his advance metrics get in the way of making rational moves sometimes and ultimately hurt them. Just give Westbrook some deadly shooters on the wings and this team is competing for 2-4 seed.

Pretty sick of the narrative that OKC doesn't spend money. They have spent money since day 1, repeatedly being over the salary cap and dipping into the luxury tax. They've avoided repeat luxury tax offender status, because it is idiotic to do so, but otherwise they've always been more than willing to spend.

As for the brawl, that was extremely disappointing as an OKC fan. Somebody needed to get a flagrant on Curry later in second half after that stunt he pulled. It just showed that there aren't any enforcers to protect Westbrook on this squad, and it's why a guy like Andre Roberson has basically zero value.

Archived