NBA 2017: The Kings of Comedy

Jaime L

I attribute the handling of Shaq directly on Orlando, he's on record saying he would have stayed if they paid him. He was in a great situation with penny hardaway. And I don't know how much trade demand power Kobe had as a recently drafted rookie to demand that the Lakers are the only team he would play for.

On 3/14/2017 at 1:28 PM, Jaime L said:

He's a better shooter than I thought but I still don't think he's the kind of player you want playing alongside Kat and Wiggins. OKC brought Harden off the bench and I think it's clear Minnesota should do the same with LaVine. 

Honestly, I don't think Wiggins is the type of player you want playing alongside Kat and Lavine. (But, then again, I'm a  UCLA homer :) )

Wiggins is maddening. He ends up with a decent amount of points most of the time, but whenever I watch him, I can't help but think something is wrong with him. He seems to be sleepwalking out there most of the time (and i'm not even talking about the defense.  He is basically non-existent on that end).  

Then once or twice very game he does something so athletic, quick, I am blown away.  If he can do that one a consistent basis, he will be unbelievable.  But don't know if that will ever happen.  Seems like he has some kind of medical problem, this level of lethargy is just not normal.

Lavine is not the most intense guy either but at least e seems to be genuinely enjoying basketball.  If this injury does not mess him up, I think he will easily have a better career than Wiggins.

I love, love, love the comments LBJ comes out with this time of the year about his team being soft and not up to the challenge. To some it sounds like useless, egotistical complaining. I see a leader who is preparing his team for the playoffs and trying to get the best out of all of them. I think it's brilliant and he gets his message across. 

22 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I love, love, love the comments LBJ comes out with this time of the year about his team being soft and not up to the challenge. To some it sounds like useless, egotistical complaining. I see a leader who is preparing his team for the playoffs and trying to get the best out of all of them. I think it's brilliant and he gets his message across. 

Yup, although LeBron himself has been pretty lazy defensively this year.  I know it's the regular season, but in their last game he watched a guy dunk.  I'm not sure I've ever seen that before from him.

Kings have received permission to interview Hinkie. I'm trying to imagine a FO with less patience than Sacramento's. If he's not blacklisted he'll eventually be hired somewhere, but I think the Kings might be literally the worst place for him.

38 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Kings have received permission to interview Hinkie. I'm trying to imagine a FO with less patience than Sacramento's. If he's not blacklisted he'll eventually be hired somewhere, but I think the Kings might be literally the worst place for him.

Hope they hire him. Dude is a genius.

Cavs have been taking a lot of losses lately, even at full strength.

Two days ago, beaten at home by the Wizards, who are in excellent form.

Last night, thrashed by the Spurs. A string of defeats before that already. And Boston is now leading the East.

Beal and Wall have been remarkable, a pleasure to see that backcourt at work.

Other observations: Looks more and more like we'll get a Rockets vs Thunder first round series in the West

Other teams that are very poor towards the end of the season and dropping fast: Atlanta, Detroit.

8 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Last night, thrashed by the Spurs. A string of defeats before that already. And Boston is now leading the East.

Love seeing the Celts catch up the Cavs. Kinda put the kibosh on all that criticism about the Celts not making a big move at the trade deadline. If the Cavs have to go through both the Wizards and the Celts, (assuming they're even up to that) I think they're probably dogmeat for whomever takes the West.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Love seeing the Celts catch up the Cavs. Kinda put the kibosh on all that criticism about the Celts not making a big move at the trade deadline. If the Cavs have to go through both the Wizards and the Celts, (assuming they're even up to that) I think they're probably dogmeat for whomever takes the West.

At the very least we aren't likely to see a repeat of 2015 and 2016 when the Cavs go 12-2 with plenty of time to rest before the Finals.  I still think the Cavs will probably be able to advance, but they'll at least have to work for it.  Lebron was fresh as a daisy for both those Warriors Finals, and that was a huge benefit to him (although he still ran out of gas towards the end of the 2015 series). 

On 3/28/2017 at 3:45 PM, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I still am glad the Celtics didn't deal away a ton of guys for Butler or George (though I bet Indiana is having second thoughts now) but I am even more bummed now that they didn't go after Ibaka.

On 3/22/2017 at 11:49 PM, aeu said:

Lavine is not the most intense guy either but at least e seems to be genuinely enjoying basketball.  If this injury does not mess him up, I think he will easily have a better career than Wiggins.

That's a bold take Aeu. I mean just from a PER standpoint Wiggins has been better every year so far (and it's an easy measurement because they joined the league at the same time). And that's just PER; certainly the argument for LaVine isn't defense. 

But yes, Wiggins' apathy is frustrating and will likely keep him from reaching the superstar level he at least has the talent to become. 

On 3/28/2017 at 5:17 AM, Calibandar said:

The East is pretty interesting right now. Really hope we get Celtics, Cavs, Wizards, Raptors in the second round in some configuration. Any of the other barely .500 teams crashing the party would feel wrong. 

The Wizards sleepwalk against bad teams. Like last night where they were down 16 against the Lakers in the 3rd quarter before both team realized neither wanted the Lakers to win. But they love playing the best in the East. The Celtics because they loathe them, the Cavs because they're the champs (and because John Wall gets to attack all night) and the Raptors because the whole backcourt rivalry. 

Obviously playoff Lebron makes the Cavs the overwhelming favorite in spite of the tight records but like Maith said still should be more fun than recent years in the East. 

ETA: Oh and Westbrook went for 57 points and a triple double tonight. NBD.

@sperry

Remember our little bet at the start of the season? Well I do, and I just did some mathing. Apparently Steven Adams needs to average more than 32 rebounds per game for the remainder of the season to average double digit rebounds for the season. 

What I'm saying is there's still a chance.

B)

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

@sperry

Remember our little bet at the start of the season? Well I do, and I just did some mathing. Apparently Steven Adams needs to average more than 32 rebounds per game for the remainder of the season to average double digit rebounds for the season. 

What I'm saying is there's still a chance.

B)

I definitely did not foresee the Thunder letting Westbrook take every rebound to get the pace picked up.

5 minutes ago, sperry said:

I definitely did not foresee the Thunder letting Westbrook take every rebound to get the pace picked up.

Eh, nobody could have predicted it. But the point still stands that you shouldn't rely on small sample sizes.

I'll also add that his numbers were probably hurt by the Thunder's lack of outside shooting. 

On March 28, 2017 at 6:17 AM, Calibandar said:

Other observations: Looks more and more like we'll get a Rockets vs Thunder first round series in the West

Other teams that are very poor towards the end of the season and dropping fast: Atlanta, Detroit.

Detroits entire season has been a depressing regression for Motown fans. Thankfully they have played themselves out of a playoff position because this team does not deserve to compete for anything in the post season. They have been quitters at crunch time, 

3 hours ago, briantw said:

Makes me glad the Cavs won last season, because they look like hot dog shit right now.  They'll probably still come out of the East, though.

I'd be shocked if they don't come out of the East, but this will probably be the first time James has been truly tested in the Eastern Conference in a long time. 

Im still hoping for a Celtics vs Spurs finals that I said in preseason would be much more preferable (to me anyways) than just another rerematch between Clev and GS. I like the odds of it becoming so at this point. If its just another repeat I doubt i'll watch any of it.

10 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Im still hoping for a Celtics vs Spurs finals that I said in preseason would be much more preferable (to me anyways) than just another rerematch between Clev and GS. I like the odds of it becoming so at this point. If its just another repeat I doubt i'll watch any of it.

Be gone with you, anti-trilogy heathen! 

Archived