NBA 2017: The Kings of Comedy

Jaime L

12 minutes ago, sperry said:

Firing Hinkie will go down as an all-time bonehead move.

Truth. 

The Process was infuriating... but it was beginning to pay off.  Colangelo's one good move was the no brainer of drafting Simmons at #1.

Some team will be brave enough to hire Hinkie again and he will show that he really does know what he's doing.

This was one weird trade deadline.  Seems like no one wants to give up anything.  Relatively decent players were traded for almost nothing. Obviously there are other factors (Noel is a RFA, etc.) but still...Every single trade is like "That's all they got??"    

5 minutes ago, aeu said:

This was one weird trade deadline.  Seems like no one wants to give up anything.  Relatively decent players were traded for almost nothing. Obviously there are other factors (Noel is a RFA, etc.) but still...Every single trade is like "That's all they got??"    

Well, it got off to an excellent start when DeMarcus Cousins was traded for a bag of chips.  And like, not even a good bag of chips like those kettle salt and vinegar ones.  Like shitty, off-brand Lays.  

Well, the Bulls still have absolutely no idea if they want to fully re-build, commit to a re-build around Butler, or try to bring in some talent for a pitiful playoff push this year. So they make a trade that doesn't help them achieve any of that. That we gave up a draft pick shocks me. My mind is blown.

I consider myself a life-long Bulls fan, but I just don't know what to do. I already have completely stopped watching their games. I certainly haven't attended any of their home games (as I live in NYC not CHI), but I was off work for both their New York games this year and opted not to go to either. I don't even own a Bulls hat any more. 

With my team of choice having absolutely no clue what the fuck they want to do, and having absolutely zero players I enjoy watching other than Butler, I am already having a really tough time on the home front. The Knicks and Nets out here are just odious to watch. I loathe that GS is so far above anyone else. 

Is it baseball season yet? Jesus Christ this has been the worst NBA season in a decade for me.

I do somewhat like the OKC trade. Gibson is a tough competitor and they have a huge hole at power forward anyway in my opinion.

I can see him start, though I also want to see more of Kanter and Adams together. Sabonis to the bench please.

And then McDermott, he can still blossom into a real nice piece, shows flashes. Kind of surprised Chicago have let him go, seems early.

Other than that I kept hoping for a Butler trade, but it never happend. Probably in the Summer then as it now seems unlikely he will stay in Chicago. I would like Butler at the T-Wolves trade but that trade didn't happen last year when it seemed like it was on the verge. The Celtics are being very careful with their excellent Nets picks.

By the way, on picks for the 2017 draft, if I read this right it means both of the terrible, terrible roster teams, the Nets and the Kings, don't have their picks this year. And they will probably finish last. Boston as the Brooklyn one and Philly can swap with the Kings, which they will obviously do. And then there's the Lakers who apparently also lose their pick if it falls outside the top 3, which it might well do with Phoenix lingering as well. Lakers definitely have incentive to tank here. And again it's Philly who would get the Lakers pick as well.

Calibandar, the Kings pick is really weird. The Bulls have the rights to it if it is 11 or above, and if it's 10 or under, the Sixers can opt to swap it. Since the Kings will almost certainly lose a ton without Cousins, the Bulls will most likely lose it (It reverts to a 2nd round pick going to us, or even zilch if the Kings are one of the worst 5 teams). The 76ers will most likely have a better record than the Kings, so will almost certainly take it. The Kings have to hope that they do crappy, but the 76ers do super crappy or get lucky in the lotto, for them to keep their own pick. 

It's a headache!

2017 first round draft pick to Chicago
Sacramento's 1st round pick to Chicago (via Cleveland) protected for selections 1-10 in 2017; if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Sacramento will instead convey its 2017 2nd round pick to Chicago protected for selections 56-60 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Sacramento's obligation to Chicago will be extinguished) [Cleveland-Sacramento, 6/30/2011; Chicago-Cleveland, 1/7/2014]

2017 first round draft pick to Philadelphia (swap, Philadelphia incoming)
Philadelphia has the right to swap its 2017 1st round pick for Sacramento's 2017 1st round pick protected for selections 11-30 (if this pick falls within its protected range, then Philadelphia's swap right and Sacramento's obligation to Philadelphia will be extinguished) [Philadelphia-Sacramento, 7/9/2015]

The Bulls have a bunch of total shit around Butler and Wade now, so they will almost certainly ditch, unless somehow our young guys convince them they aren't awful (yeah, right). The team is in a terrible position going into next year.

55 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Deep thoughts with Willie Cauley-Stein.  :lol:

WCS had the best game of his career last night with Cousins gone by the way going for 29 and 10.

In Argentina, pizza is sliced bread covered with melted government style block cheese and sauce. It's disgusting. 

I think WCS has huge upside. Was a fan of his coming into the draft, and thought he was drafted too low. Hasn't done much since coming to the league but yesterday showed his potential. Buddy had himself a decent game as well. However, the Kings really really  need to lose some games to get a top 10 pick...

16 hours ago, briantw said:

Another trade deadline, another failure by Boston to get anything done.  I still have no idea what they're doing.  They have all these assets but keep hesitating to deal them for stars.

I don't get it either. Isaiah Thomas is now playing like a superstar and they signed Al Horford in the offseason, so it's win now right? Sure these Nets picks are highly valuable but even if they win the lottery this year and if Markelle Fultz is as good as advertised...it'll still be 3-4 years before he's a superstar in the NBA...and guys like Horford/Thomas will be in decline by then. And of course there's a ton of "ifs" in that sentence. The Nets pick could just as easily fall #3 or lower and they miss out on Fultz and Ball, at which point if I was a Celtics fan, I'd definitely rather have had Butler or George. 

The other thing is it appears the Celtics look at all their pretty good Bradley/Crowder type players the same way Bill Simmons does - that they're all fucking amazing. They're nice pieces but thought the whole reason you've compiled all these assets is to turn them into something great. They still might get Butler/George...but it means giving up attempting serious contention this year. 

15 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Deep thoughts with Willie Cauley-Stein.  :lol:

WCS had the best game of his career last night with Cousins gone by the way going for 29 and 10.

Rhom, admit it, do you get alerts on your phone whenever a Kentucky player blows up in a given night? 

4 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Rhom, admit it, do you get alerts on your phone whenever a Kentucky player blows up in a given night? 

There may be a couple of apps dedicated to UK basketball that also give updates like that...

And certainly, my go to websites hit the news pretty heavy the day after.  :lol: 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

I think WCS has huge upside. Was a fan of his coming into the draft, and thought he was drafted too low. Hasn't done much since coming to the league but yesterday showed his potential. Buddy had himself a decent game as well. However, the Kings really really  need to lose some games to get a top 10 pick...

Too low?  He was drafted sixth overall.

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

Hmm,  thought  he went 9th. Oops. 

Yeah, he was sixth.  I think at the time he was generally regarded as a late lottery pick, if not a guy who might fall out of the lottery altogether.  It's why it made no sense that the Kings drafted him sixth when they already had a starting, star center.

It would make more sense now had they actually gotten something good for Cousins, but alas.

48 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I don't get it either. Isaiah Thomas is now playing like a superstar and they signed Al Horford in the offseason, so it's win now right? Sure these Nets picks are highly valuable but even if they win the lottery this year and if Markelle Fultz is as good as advertised...it'll still be 3-4 years before he's a superstar in the NBA...and guys like Horford/Thomas will be in decline by then. And of course there's a ton of "ifs" in that sentence. The Nets pick could just as easily fall #3 or lower and they miss out on Fultz and Ball, at which point if I was a Celtics fan, I'd definitely rather have had Butler or George. 

The other thing is it appears the Celtics look at all their pretty good Bradley/Crowder type players the same way Bill Simmons does - that they're all fucking amazing. They're nice pieces but thought the whole reason you've compiled all these assets is to turn them into something great. They still might get Butler/George...but it means giving up attempting serious contention this year.  

Think this is maybe the Warriors/Cavs effect. Those teams are so far ahead in terms of talent that it seems to have put most of the rest of the league in a sort of holding pattern in terms of trading to make a run at the title.

Archived