Shows you liked way back when that probably don't hold up

MisterOJ

26 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Did you not see what I said about Donald P. Bellisario?

I did not, I recently did a re-watch of Quantum Leap and it's still awesome. Some of the episodes are missing and may have been shown out of order. 

I dressed up as Magnum for Halloween a couple years ago, complete with real mustache that did no justice to Magnum's and actual Magnum print shirt. That holds up.

But I haven't had the chance to see Airwolf again. I remember liking it as a little boy. 

11 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I did not, I recently did a re-watch of Quantum Leap and it's still awesome. Some of the episodes are missing and may have been shown out of order. 

I dressed up as Magnum for Halloween a couple years ago, complete with real mustache that did no justice to Magnum's and actual Magnum print shirt. That holds up.

I am on the Quantum Leap doesn't hold side of things. Stumbled up on a rerun some time ago, and I couldn't force myself to watch it.

Magnum is a good show, it still is and holds up. For me it's a bit tainted by Selleck being such a douche. But it's still a good show.

15 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Everything Donald P. ever did, up to and including Tales of the Gold Monkey, still holds up.

ETA: though Airwolf might hold up a little less well than the others.

The Tales of the Gold Monkey was awesome. It's a damn shame we'll never see it again because Stephen Collins is a degenerate. 

That might be a better way to put it about Airwolf. 

As a middle-schooler, my favorite tv show was The A-Team.  I did a re-watch about 2 years ago.  The first 3 seasons held up as nostalgic fun.  Season 4, when they added all the guest stars, was unwatchable garbage.  After that, I couldn't bring myself to try season 5, the one with Robert Vaughn.

As a middle-schooler, my favorite tv show was The A-Team.  I did a re-watch about 2 years ago.  The first 3 seasons held up as nostalgic fun.  Season 4, when they added all the guest stars, was unwatchable garbage.  After that, I couldn't bring myself to try season 5, the one with Robert Vaughn.

Hahah, the last season didn't even hold up in the 80's. They killed the show by making them work for the government. Thus killing the awesome premise behind the show.

4 minutes ago, Regular John Umber said:

Same. I was 4 though, I can be excused.

Yeah I was pretty young and basically all tv shows were exactly the same back then, I remember just liking anything that was a cartoon, even adverts for cleaning products. Its only now that I see the Hannah Barbera style of re-using animations and frames in almost every scene. Its actually barely even animated. 

Even something as inane as Pokemon is a thousand times more complex than this, its amazing how things have moved forward.

Television in the 80s and 90s explains a lot about America as it is,  right now. Let's just say most of what was in TV was not meant to enrich the world view of the audience. I can't think of a single show that really stands up to the test of time from the 80s besides maybe the Wonder Years? 

5 minutes ago, Relic said:

Television in the 80s and 90s explains a lot about America as it is,  right now. Let's just say most of what was in TV was not meant to enrich the world view of the audience. I can't think of a single show that really stands up to the test of time from the 80s besides maybe the Wonder Years? 

I'd go as far to say most of it was utterly stupid and braindead. I think back to all the shows I watched in the 80's and none of them had even the slightest level of sophistication, nor did it ever really require you think think. This is probably by design as they were all shows viewed purely as entertainment to work around advertising, with little viewer commitment. They seemed to take an almost insulting view of their audiences that maybe isn't the case any more. 

On 2/13/2017 at 4:59 PM, Werthead said:

BSG absolutely holds up, but the storytelling problems in the second half remain prevalent. That's got nothing to do with ageing, just the writing problems. The ending, of course, remains utter shit.

Lost has dramatically improved, I think, now you can binge-watch. The connections between episodes stand up a lot better and the gradual increase of pacing from the slow (but resonant) Season 1 through the fast-paced Seasons 4 and 5 works really well. Also, what at the time felt like interminable longeurs, particularly in Seasons 2 and 3, end up feeling like completely negligible 2-3 episode long bits of filler in a rewatch. Nowhere near as problematic. The iffy final season and the dodgy afterlife story remain problems, although if you are hardcore enough you can watch the edited fan version which completely removes the afterlife storyline.

On Lost: I recently rewatched this with my wife (first time for her, it was my third). She enjoyed it, as did I, but while I was happy with the afterlife thing when I first saw it, I found it harder to really explain to her why it was necessary, and I personally enjoyed it less knowing where it was going. My theory is that it was a sort of real-time troll by the producers, because of how unbelievably large the show was at the time. 

On BSG: Man, I think I'm the only one in the world who truly loves the ending, and every second of the show, to be honest. I have the entire soundtrack and listened to it frequently. I do think I'm very forgiving of it though; I loved what it was trying  to do I guess, more than how it actually went about it, so some of the un-evenness of the middle parts of seasons 3 and 4, as well as the unrelenting darkness of season 4, get a pass from me.

I'm going to try get my wife to watch it, it helps seeing it through someone elses eyes.

A show that I love but don't really enjoy every episode of any more is Due South. The characters are great, Diefenbaker is great, the over-arching storylines are great, and then there's freakin' Leslie Nielsen, but individual episodes can be a bit painful when immersed in very heavy 90's pop culture, as well as sometimes being a bit on the nose with its moralising.

Archived