Shows you liked way back when that probably don't hold up

MisterOJ

So, every time I see the current iteration of the video game thread, it makes me want to go back and watch the old Andromeda TV series that starred Kevin Sorbo. I remember being really into it when it first came on back in the day. But if memory serves, the head writer or showrunner or something changed midway through the second (or maybe third) season and then it took a major nosedive in quality.

Anyway, I did a quick search to see if it was offered by any of the three streaming services I currently subscribe to (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu) but it isn't available on any of them. I think I have part of the first season on DVD somewhere (This is from way back when they didn't put all the episodes for a season in one box set. You had to buy them separately and at one time I had two or three discs, which was about half the first season.) but I can't be bothered that much to dig them out of storage, because I'm fairly certain they would suck upon a rewatch.

What shows do you remember liking from way back that you're pretty sure you'd find trash now, if you did a rewatch?

13 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Since you mentioned Kevin Sorbo, I will probably have to go with Hercules, Xena Warrior Princess, and other similar shows.

I actually did watch a few episodes of Hercules and Xena and netflix and it definitely did not hold up.

Also, this isn't exactly what the topic was asking about, but I recently decided to check out Babylon 5 for the first time- and it was terrible. I mean, suppose the story or backstory could be really good, but it's like not a single actor cared except fro the alien dude (with the Alien! guy from the History Channel haircut) who was hamming it up.

12 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm mildly terrified that Farscape doesn't hold up, which is why I've refused to ever watch it again.

I never watched Farscape back in the day for some reason. I tried to watch it a couple years back on Netflix. I made it through maybe four or five episodes and gave up. 

15 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm mildly terrified that Farscape doesn't hold up, which is why I've refused to ever watch it again.

I think that one still holds up for me. It's been some years since I watched it, but I did re-watch it and I still liked it.

43 minutes ago, Fez said:

when I watched it 5 years ago , if anything, I realised it was even better than I remembered. Definitely ahead of its time in terms of characters being unpleasant and fractious.

26 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Another show that it might not hold up for me is Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

It's a bit more corny these days and so many other shows have mimicked the formula that you have to remind yourself they did it first. Still great though. Angel is also great although on a rewatch it becomes clear which characters had excellent arcs (Wesley) and which ones utterly lost the plot (Cordelia)

In terms of things I have rewatched

Sliders - does not hold up

Babylon 5 - holds up but I found the final season unwatchable whereas found season one solid because the framework was there (even if some episodes/acting/dialogue is ropey)

Oz - still a great yet challenging show. Although a regular rewatch highlighted how the final season was a huge drop in quality

Ones I'd be worried about

X-files - one of the worst things about the recent season was the realisation it was possible the show had always been like that.

Lost and BSG - knowing how badly both shows ended for me would probably ruin a rewatch of shows I thought were amazing. I'd probably shout things like "you'll never resolve that" or "there's no fucking way you thought that character would wind up doing that".

Most of the "fun" shows of the late 70s, early 80s.  A-Team, Knight Rider, CHiPS, and their il.  That they exist on a specific formula that is so unique to their own time period, it's likely why any modern movie or television adaptation or reimagining just blow.

Got a pang of nostalgia so pulled up the original Macgyver on Netflix. Watched the pilot and it held up better than expected! I mean outside of the non-sequitur "Macgyver is the Big Brother to an inner city black kid" scenes that were tacked on awkwardly. But Richard Dean Anderson's cocky badassery, I felt like, pretty much would've held up today even if his mullet does not. Lot of solid one liners. This might be the soft bigotry of low expectations but was expecting it to be way more cringe-worthy. Will watch again. 

Granted I still wouldn't, like, unironically show this to anyone under the age of 30. Feel like you have to live through the 80s to understand it. 

Sports Night.  I loved this show when it appeared in 1998.  I told everyone about it.  How witty it was, how great the acting, that it had Robert Guillaume!

Rewatching now is almost too much.  It's insufferable in how preachy it is. The acting isn't that good.  I lost interest fast during a recent attempt to revisit the two seasons.

Oh man, 80's was kinda bad tv central. You watched it because it was there. I'm so scarred that I will not watch a regular looking sitcom, now that there are many other options. I liked all these shows at the time, but you'd have to put a gun to my head to watch them now. Something like say Cheers or Night Court I could watch now and be quite happy with them.

The Facts of Life, Different Strokes, Silver Spoons, Growing Pains, Golden Girls, Empty Nest,, the Love Boat, Punky Brewster, I'm trying to think a real turd from the 80's but drawing a blank. These were actually okay shows at the time, but wouldn't hold up now. 

51 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Most of the "fun" shows of the late 70s, early 80s.  A-Team, Knight Rider, CHiPS, and their il.  That they exist on a specific formula that is so unique to their own time period, it's likely why any modern movie or television adaptation or reimagining just blow.

I guess these shows were in an era when even video recorders weren't that common and therefore were made with the assumption no-one was really going to track them dow to watch again - besides reruns at a later date but even then it was probably in a "people watch most episodes but don't have to watch all".

I guess technology has allowed for different storytelling techniques. Back when if you missed an episode you weren't catching it again for a long while it was risky to have a serialised story as you could lose a viewer for good if they missed an episode. Now we're in an era where it's virtually impossible to miss an episode and you can watch at your own pace so you can have longer stories.

45 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Probably gonna have to agree with Xena though now I'm tempted to rewatch it to test that hypothesis out. I actually can't remember a lot of old shows I've rewatched. Might try out a few. 

See, I don't agree totally. Xenia and Hercules are more than capable of holding up.  They're not meant to be too deep, but the stories are variations on the classics, so if you can stomach older style effects, they still work.

15 minutes ago, red snow said:

I guess these shows were in an era when even video recorders weren't that common and therefore were made with the assumption no-one was really going to track them dow to watch again - besides reruns at a later date but even then it was probably in a "people watch most episodes but don't have to watch all".

I guess technology has allowed for different storytelling techniques. 

Reruns weren't a horrible thing though.  Not back then.

But your point regarding VHS and such is well taken.

Batman: The Animated Series holds up very well, great voice acting, animation and storytelling.  The 90s X-Men show, not so much, I watched a couple of episodes and felt like it was just a kids show.  The action is usually lazily executed, and the characters left a lot to be desired. 

36 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

See, I don't agree totally. Xenia and Hercules are more than capable of holding up.  They're not meant to be too deep, but the stories are variations on the classics, so if you can stomach older style effects, they still work.

Oh; I'd be happy if it did hold up! Still love the premise haha 

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It wasn't the effects that threw me off, it was the acting, especially Ioalus and Gabriel. It might have gotten better in the later seasons, but the early crossover about rescuing Prometheus was cringeworthy.

It's usually sitcoms that don't age well for me. A lot of comedy is only really funny when it's current. It's rare to find sitcoms that retain their humor through the years. Seinfeld and Cheers are two of the few I can laugh at just as hard as when they first aired.

In regards to technology, I do chuckle seeing some of the old technology used in series. The beepers always seem so ancient when watching The Wire. Or old cell phones.

Archived