Shows you liked way back when that probably don't hold up

MisterOJ

2 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

I watched a few episodes of Batman: The Animated Series over the weekend on Amazon, it's still a pretty good watch imo. Probably one of the most well done cartoons ever put on TV.

And the other comments on cartoons.

At the time I thought X-men and Spider-man were the shit and far cooler than BTAS which was harder to appreciate at the time - although the strong episodes of BTAS were great even then. I did a rewatch around 7 years ago and BTAS is still excellent - perhaps moreso when I realise that the cartoon became the foundation of most of the comic villains iconic origins (and not the other way around). The animation in BTAS holds up too. X-men is a bit rubbish now especially in terms of animation and voice acting but I guess it was aimed more at kids wheread BTAS was definitely aiming for everyone.

Thundercats is terrible - but entertaining terrible now.

The mysterious cities of gold was far more complicated than i recalled as a pre-teen but held up well.

It will be interesting to see whether "golden age" TV holds up. My inclination is that it will. I think older TV doesn't hold up in general because it was mostly just objectively bad. The monopoly of the broadcast networks as well as government and institutional censorship kind of killed innovation.

In general, I think sitcoms hold up better, simply because the condensed 21 minute after commercial format is so short that the acting and plot don't really have to hold up.

When I was a kid, The show to watch was The Six Million Dollar Man...... it definitely doesn't hold up.... especially since that would probably be his co-pay today...

Also.... The Man From Uncle is unbelievably dated, and hackneyed... and Time tunnel, Lost in Space, and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea are all just laughable now....

Conversely, Old cartoons are much better.... Bugs Bunny from the 1940's still holds up.... and Ren & Stimpy, and Rocco's Modern Life still rule

There was a news story the other day. There's this guy who is impersonating the young kid from Family Ties.

The kid was introduced later in the series as the younger brother.  He grew up to be pretty wild, has neck tattoos and I think trouble with jail and drugs. He's in a band now.

Ok so there's this other guy who got the same tattoos as him and is pretending to be him on the Internet and he's meeting women as him and sexually assaulting them.

Watching Batman:TAS with my 6yo is the highlight of my week, it has aged great.  So has Dark wing Duck though it's hard to find.  I have also watched Animaniacs and Garfield with him (why was Garfield such a good show yet horrible comic?).

I still love DS9 but could easily cut half the eisodes, especially the first three seasons.  But I can't even watch TNG anymore.

Cheers is my go to download for plane rides.  I got my wife into Fraiser.   Home Improvement mostly sucks  (basically Tool Time is still fun and ignore the rest).

My dad and I loved a short lived show called Brimstone; reviews tell me it may not live up to my memory.

Is like to attempt a rewatch of Ally McBeal someday.  But it is the rewatch I'd fear the most 

On 2/8/2017 at 11:51 AM, Ded As Ned said:

Quantum Leap... I watched every episode of that as a tween and tried to rewatch a few years ago and couldn't hack it.

You sir are a troglodyte. Quantum Leap is still amazing. And if anyone here dares to list Magnum P.I. I'll fucking punch them right in their stupid, lying mouth. Donald P. Bellisario was, is, and always will be a television god!

5 hours ago, SkynJay said:

Watching Batman:TAS with my 6yo is the highlight of my week, it has aged great.  So has Dark wing Duck though it's hard to find.  I have also watched Animaniacs

I can imagine that era of Disney cartoons and animaniacs/freakazoid probably holds up well too but agree they are hard to find.

In general I guess another problem with rewatches is that they may have been good (or even revolutionary) at the time but we now have all the shows that evolved from them as a comparison. We tend to accept that production values have obviously improved and that a cheap show now would have been an expensive show then. But we should probably consider storytelling in the same way meaning shows that were great at the time can look a bit basic and clunky now. I guess in a weird way - if a show doesn't hold up now it shouldn't negate the fact you thought it was great the original time you watched it. Although that can be really hard in some cases for me.

How about the inverse? I have a feeling if I watched Simpsons from the first 5-10 years they'd be better than the current ones.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

How about the inverse? I have a feeling if I watched Simpsons from the first 5-10 years they'd be better than the current ones.

Absolutely. In fact, I'd go as far to say that some of those early Simpsons (I'd say roughly seasons 2-9 or so) represent comedy at it's pinnacle. Some other shows have also reached that level but none have surpassed it, IMHO. If someone can't religiously quote the Simpsons from this era I don't trust that person's sense of humor very much.

On 2/7/2017 at 10:03 AM, MisterOJ said:

So, every time I see the current iteration of the video game thread, it makes me want to go back and watch the old Andromeda TV series that starred Kevin Sorbo. I remember being really into it when it first came on back in the day. But if memory serves, the head writer or showrunner or something changed midway through the second (or maybe third) season and then it took a major nosedive in quality.

Anyway, I did a quick search to see if it was offered by any of the three streaming services I currently subscribe to (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu) but it isn't available on any of them. I think I have part of the first season on DVD somewhere (This is from way back when they didn't put all the episodes for a season in one box set. You had to buy them separately and at one time I had two or three discs, which was about half the first season.) but I can't be bothered that much to dig them out of storage, because I'm fairly certain they would suck upon a rewatch.

What shows do you remember liking from way back that you're pretty sure you'd find trash now, if you did a rewatch?

Oh man I remember that show. It used to be like the only remotely interesting thing on at like 11PM because I didn't have cable. I agree it probably wouldn't hold up now but it definitely had it's moments. Then they replaced it with Earth: Final Conflict which I hated.

On 2/7/2017 at 4:42 PM, Astromech said:

The beepers always seem so ancient when watching The Wire. Or old cell phones.

That's kind of an interesting case because beepers were already ancient when the show came out. They were used because that's what drug dealers were using when David Simon was a crime reporter back in the 80's.  Avon Barksdale was based on a real drug kingpin named Melvin Williams who Simon wrote a bunch of stuff about back then. I guess he wanted to keep the details but did not want to set the show in the 80's. It kinda makes sense that prior to the events of the first season Barksdale would think pagers were safer than cell phones. I think Kima or another of the cops may even comment about them being "old school" early on. 

13 hours ago, Myshkin said:

And if anyone here dares to list Magnum P.I. I'll fucking punch them right in their stupid, lying mouth. Donald P. Bellisario was, is, and always will be a television god!

I'm cool with Thomas. TC was the shit, and Higgins is my boy. That said, fucking Rick? Rick was the type of rat fucking degenerate that would steal your coke then help you look for it. Fuck that guy. Fuck him right in his feathered hair. 

14 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'm cool with Thomas. TC was the shit, and Higgins is my boy. That said, fucking Rick? Rick was the type of rat fucking degenerate that would steal your coke then help you look for it. Fuck that guy. Fuck him right in his feathered hair. 

Whoa bro, pump the brakes. Yeah sure, Rick might steal your coke, but he'll also show up with a fucking Uzi ready to rock and roll when you need him to have your back.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Oh man I remember that show. It used to be like the only remotely interesting thing on at like 11PM because I didn't have cable. I agree it probably wouldn't hold up now but it definitely had it's moments. Then they replaced it with Earth: Final Conflict which I hated.

That's kind of an interesting case because beepers were already ancient when the show came out. They were used because that's what drug dealers were using when David Simon was a crime reporter back in the 80's.  Avon Barksdale was based on a real drug kingpin named Melvin Williams who Simon wrote a bunch of stuff about back then. I guess he wanted to keep the details but did not want to set the show in the 80's. It kinda makes sense that prior to the events of the first season Barksdale would think pagers were safer than cell phones. I think Kima or another of the cops may even comment about them being "old school" early on. 

I never watched it until a  few years after it was current so it seemed even more ancient. Even the cell phones seemed ancient when I watched it.

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I was into Jack of All Trades in high school and that''s another one that I have my doubts about.  

I never saw that one, but I assume it's in the same vein as Xena/Hercules...

On Tuesday, February 07, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Fez said:

I'm mildly terrified that Farscape doesn't hold up, which is why I've refused to ever watch it again.

Rest easy, it still holds up. Claudia Black still sends shivers of delight coursing through my body. And my mind.

On Tuesday, February 07, 2017 at 0:17 PM, Martell Spy said:

Oh man, 80's was kinda bad tv central. You watched it because it was there. I'm so scarred that I will not watch a regular looking sitcom, now that there are many other options. I liked all these shows at the time, but you'd have to put a gun to my head to watch them now. Something like say Cheers or Night Court I could watch now and be quite happy with them.

The Facts of Life, Different Strokes, Silver Spoons, Growing Pains, Golden Girls, Empty Nest,, the Love Boat, Punky Brewster, I'm trying to think a real turd from the 80's but drawing a blank. These were actually okay shows at the time, but wouldn't hold up now. 

Manimal. Excuse me while I get some brain bleach.  

Archived