MorgulisMaximus

Was GRRM influenced by Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series?

233 posts in this topic

Yeah he's on my personal wont read do to asshole level list. Plus I find his stuff to be drek.

Yeah, I'm going to agree with most of you that similarities between WoT and ASOIAF are based on pre-existing fantasy tropes that both writers may have been using subconsciously or on purpose (and putting their own spin on it). If anything, WoT's sales may have influenced Martin or his publishers to put out A Game of Thrones. I remember reading something in this forum years ago about how Robert Jordan's recommendation smack dab on the AGOT paperwork cover probably helped drive sales up. 

As a feminist myself, I can say that one can enjoy LOTR and appreciate the female characters it has (see little me watching the Rankin-Bass Return of the King movie and being ecstatic when Eowyn shows up out of nowhere to be AWESOME) while recognizing that there are problems with their portrayal and inclusion. And plenty of female fans love male-character-dominated stuff (just look at various anime and video game series- heck, I read that the most recent Final Fantasy installment has a largely male cast specifically to appeal to female fans). 

Now, if you'd dangle a Rey and a Luke figure in front of a child version of me and said I'd have to choose? I'd want both, dangit. 

Also, reading about Martin's influences just reminds me that I have a LOT of reading to catch up on.

Eh, I had something to say but the board ate it.  Instead I'm going back to work on my essay "Why Hawaii and Norway aren't Near Eachother".

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Eh, I had something to say but the board ate it.  Instead I'm going back to work on my essay "Why Hawaii and Norway aren't Near Eachother".

All these years....THOSE FUCKERS LIED TO ME

32 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

All these years....THOSE FUCKERS LIED TO ME

ALL LIES!!!

I considered the same thing upon first diving into the WOT series. I noticed similarities in plot structure and themes that seemed remarkably close. Then I realized that while RJ wrote a huge story, his tale was actually pretty small (traditional). He uses tried and true elements of general fantasy that GRRM has of course touched on (because he is writing a fantasy series). So that seemed as though the former influenced the latter, but really it didn't in an author to author or story to story sense. GRRM for lack of a better word, disrupted those tried and true elements in ASOIAF to create something new and fresh while still being a part of the genre.

Also, while I did enjoy the first few books of WOT, the writing is IMO not even close to what GRRM has done. Not just from a storytelling perspective, but from a purely literary one. 

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Why does this topic keep coming back.

There's a fricking Reddit thread on it as well.

"Robert Jordan had this character eating toast, GRRM also had a character eating toast, hence Jordan influenced GRRM. QED."

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

"Robert Jordan had this character eating toast, GRRM also had a character eating toast, hence Jordan influenced GRRM. QED."

Surely the poster must be 12,right? RIGHT?

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Surely the poster must be 12,right? RIGHT?

on Reddit? it's a fair bet...