US Politics: YOUTUBE LINKS OR GTFO

Martell Spy

Chait’s triumphalism, his teleological view of American history, discounts what it means to experience that twilight. Put in more concrete terms, the fact that Obama’s accomplishments will likely endure—the fact that Donald Trump cannot blot them from the record—will not console the Americans who see family deported, who see children killed by unaccountable police officers, who see the richest Americans siphoning the nation’s wealth for themselves. Even if we recover from the policies of the Trump administration—even if a new liberal era emerges in response—it won’t change what ordinary people suffered through; it won’t restore the loss.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/books/2017/02/jamelle_bouie_reviews_jonathan_chait_s_book_on_obama_s_legacy_audacity.html

The Cost of Progress

What’s missing from Jonathan Chait’s new book on Obama’s legacy is what’s missing from Obama’s worldview: a sense of tragedy.

Aides are also working on yet another executive order to "fight crime," according to a senior administration official, "particularly in the country's cities."

But the fate of the draft executive actions remains in doubt. Trump's team has made a willful move to slow down executive orders after facing criticism for a flurry of ones that were not vetted by Cabinet officials or lawyers, particularly the travel ban that sparked widespread protests across the United States and court losses for the administration.

Several people involved in the current process say the administration wants to be more careful and felt stung by the criticism, even if their signing was cheered by Trump’s supporters. Chief of Staff Reince Priebus has lately gotten far more involved in the process, one person familiar with it said. He has implemented a multi-step process to approving the orders, according to a White House official.

Trump team weighing orders on Guantanamo, cutting government
President Donald Trump’s administration has slowed down on executive actions after a frenetic start, leaving GOP allies wonder which ones will move and which are doomed.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-guantanamo-government-cuts-234745

I am waiting for a real foreign crisis to erupt to see how Trump is going to handle it. Another missile or nuke test from North Korea, or a further missile test from Iran. What does Trump do in either case? He's seemingly put a red line down on Iran and almost so in the case of North Korea, and can't really let either get away with testing that red line after criticising Obama so much over Syria.

That will determine whether Trump is a bumbler who can be kept in check by Congress and public opinion, or someone far more dangerous.

I thought Trump already dismissed negotiating lower drug prices, did he not?

That was Friday. Today his thinking is different. On Friday he'll announce he's outlawing all drugs and will be legislating prayer as the cure for all ailments instead.

If you're expecting consistency from this president, you've really not been paying attention.

5 hours ago, The Wedge said:

So apparently Rosie O'Donnell wants to portray Steve Bannon on SNL. If reports of Trump being pissed that Spicer was portrayed by a woman last week, Rosie might be final push over the edge.

I'm all for it!

Why, oh, why, is the ****ing President of the USA even caring about comedy?  Ugh.  This has to be over!  Make it so, Rosie!

Damn! I was so tempted to send a video of my Trump impression to 30 Rock as an audition. I could have been ahead of this trend. It would have been worth getting disappeared to see the tweets from Mr. Presidential:

The transgenders media so biased!

SNL really downhill. Fake woman doing skits of REAL man. Sad.

Russia’s Not-So-Hot Euro-Election Subversion Strategy Is Failing in France
The French press are delivering an excruciating lesson for their American counterparts: If you ignore the WikiLeaks-Moscow-Assange interventions, Russia can’t subvert your democracy.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/02/07/russia-s-not-so-hot-euro-election-subversion-strategy-is-failing-in-france.html

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I am waiting for a real foreign crisis to erupt to see how Trump is going to handle it. Another missile or nuke test from North Korea, or a further missile test from Iran. What does Trump do in either case? He's seemingly put a red line down on Iran and almost so in the case of North Korea, and can't really let either get away with testing that red line after criticising Obama so much over Syria.

That will determine whether Trump is a bumbler who can be kept in check by Congress and public opinion, or someone far more dangerous.

I don't think it's hard to predicted how he'd likely act, the man only has one gear. What remains to be determined is to what degree can Mattis and Kelly mitigate his instincts. 

24 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

I'm listening to the Appeals Court taking Spec. Counsel to task re: the stay on the Immigration ban. This guy is a bumbling bafoon.

I think it is fascinating and telling that the government is in fact arguing that the executive has unlimited authority to make decisions on immigration.  They really pursued the point to get the government on the record for that.  I'm not sure it was the best strategy to acknowledge - might have weaseled more as the government's lawyer.

ETA - He seems to think he is on the losing side.  Judges are sharp though.  Heavy questioning on both sides.

35 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I think it is fascinating and telling that the government is in fact arguing that the executive has unlimited authority to make decisions on immigration.  They really pursued the point to get the government on the record for that.  I'm not sure it was the best strategy to acknowledge - might have weaseled more as the government's lawyer.

ETA - He seems to think he is on the losing side.  Judges are sharp though.  Heavy questioning on both sides.

Indeed. I'm loving how Trump and Guliani's previous statements have come back to haunt the President's domain to issue these types of EOs in regard to Immigration. The Spec Counsel is getting a little righteous here, might burn him.

ETA: Yup, definitely burned lol

Just now, JEORDHl said:

Indeed. I'm loving how Trump and Guliana's previous statements have come back to haunt the President's domain to issue these types of EO in regard to Immigration. The Spec Counsel is getting a little righteous here, might burn him.

Judges are doing a good job here - both sides are getting hammered.

Archived