Why did Robert hate the Targaryens so much?

Quellon

47 minutes ago, Quellon said:

Lol, are you a troll or what? Rhaegar sent three of the best men of the KINGSGUARD to guard Lyanna, isn't that a proof how much he cared for her? Had he been just another womanizer, like Robert, he'd never have bothered. You are just another Robert-loving Targaryen-hater.

You are fighting a lost cause..just check the post history you can't win a debate with her .

2 minutes ago, Drogonthedread said:

He was so love stricken and sad that his betrothed had been taken and the thought of her getting raped thousands times by this monster called rhaegar hurt him so much that he decided to spend his time with whore even fighting the war..

That would imply that sex and love are the same.

4 hours ago, Drogonthedread said:

You are fighting a lost cause..just check the post history you can't win a debate with her .

Prompting to stalking and by extension to personal attacka. How mature but why I am not surprised?

3 hours ago, Drogonthedread said:

I will take this bait once 

So he is getting aroused and turned on at the thought of his betrothed being captive and tortured by a monster or what..

Good day to you iam not going to argue with you in this 

As if hormones were the same with feelings.

I will tell this only one time stop referring to me in any way, not by name or by any kind of personal pronouns. Every time you do it is a personal attack and an insult.

1 hour ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

And where does this rhaeman lovin comes from?? By 3person accounts??you're falling in the same dark pit grrm puts his characters...

George already said Robert was a good guy with flaws, all i see is the Jon con syndrome looms large here...

Also lets not forget who those people were; Barri who was biased and had also told that Robert was a good man, Jorah who is biased but also never knew Rhaegar when he was in love with Dany and Cersei who is Cersei.

3 hours ago, Drogonthedread said:

He was so love stricken and sad that his betrothed had been taken and the thought of her getting raped thousands times by this monster called rhaegar hurt him so much that he decided to spend his time with whore even fighting the war..

Rhaegar didn't run from Robert either.  He faced him in the battle not hid from him.

Well as I've said, Robert was fighting a war, he could die any day and it should be obvious but warfare gets your blood running so it's not exactly weird someone like Robert would feel the need to have sex at some point, it's not like he was raping the prostitutes. Anyways completely unrelated to anything in my post you quoted and a weak attempt to make Robert look like an asshole, there are plenty of worse things he did if you want to bring up unrelated stuff that Robert did.

I didn't say he ran, I said he hid in his tower for most of the war, which is true. He showed up at the end after thousands of men had died for his and his family's cause and was promptly killed by Robert and his forces defeated decisively. Maybe he should of ran, if you're going to be a coward might as well go all out.

1 hour ago, Boarsbane said:

Well as I've said, Robert was fighting a war, he could die any day and it should be obvious but warfare gets your blood running so it's not exactly weird someone like Robert would feel the need to have sex at some point, it's not like he was raping the prostitutes. Anyways completely unrelated to anything in my post you quoted and a weak attempt to make Robert look like an asshole, there are plenty of worse things he did if you want to bring up unrelated stuff that Robert did.

Robert having sex with one woman is understandable, particularly in Westeros' culture (Catelyn at least has this view). But shagging an entire brothel of prostitutes goes a bit beyond wartime relief or whatever.

Admittedly, I think both men are arseholes and it's merely of toss-up of who is worse.

Robert Baratheon hates the Targaryens because they ruined his life.

When Robert was still a child his parents died in a shipwreck, because they were chosen by King Aerys Targaryen specifically to look for a valyrian bride for his son Rhaegar Targaryen. 

Then Rhaegar, whom Robert's parents died trying to find a wife for, kidnaps a woman whom Robert loves and Rhaegar's father Aerys demands that Robert and Eddard be executed so as to cover for his irresponsible son. 

Then Robert fights a war to save his love Lyanna, and she dies anyway in the prison that Rhaegar kept her in. So Rhaegar raped Lyanna and is responsible for her death. 

I personally think Rhaegar really did rape Lyanna, but even if you don't think so you have to admit that this is what it looks like to Robert. Were I in Robert's place I would probably hate the Targaryens too. Even these things aside, the Targaryens have historically displayed themselves as being selfish and cruel (Aerys II, Maegor I, Aegon I, Aegon II, Aegon IV, etc). 

On 2/10/2017 at 9:12 AM, Quellon said:

I believe that was more due to Jon Arryn's counsel, not Robert's own will. I sincerely doubt it. Jon knew they needed all the houses they could get on their side. Else, another rebellion might have broken out soon-the anti-Robert Rebellion.

Because everything we know about Robert indicates he was a ruthless, ruthless man who killed those who surrendered in cold blood (like Ser Barristan) and never forgave his enemies who rebelled (like the Greyjoys).

We are talking about a guy who was sorta glad when Tywin murdered Rhaegar's children, sorry, "dragonspawn".

There was his justified hatred for Aerys and Rhaegar, and then there was his feeling of not really getting back at them ("I killed Rhaegar, then I killed him thousand times in my dreams, and he still won cause he's with Lyanna now"), and blaming Rhaegar for everything wrong in his life ("Oh, if I only could be with my Lyanna, our love would be purrfect and there would be no problems!"). I'd guess that on some level he also knew that his life with Lyanna could be less purrfect that he'd imagine, and/or that she could have chosen Rhaegar over him - which would only make Robert hate him more.

So he decided that the Targaryens are the source of all evil, extended it to them all (since Aerys and Rhaegar were dead and out of reach) and dehumanized the enemy to feel more right about it ("dragonspawn").

Here's my two cents. Robert did not hate all Targaryens at first . Then there was the his parents who had died in a fruitless attempt Rhaegar a wife . There was probably some resentment there . Then the Tourney at Harrenhal , when Rhaegar  named Lyanna Queen of Love and Beauty who was betroth to Robert , Robert may have taken it as double insult a sign that Rhaegar either was in love with her or was going to court her . The other insult may have been Robert , who participated in the melee during the tourney either didn't or couldn't name her himself as HIS QOLAB . A good example of this is seen in a Dance With Dragons when Barry is remembering his own failure at Harrenhal and his resentment that Ashara Dayne turned to Stark . The we have Lyanna's abduction ,and what does Aerys do , calls for Robert's head . Did Robert threaten Rhaegar or Aerys ? No .  After almost a year Robert kills Rhaegar  , but Lyanna dies in Dorne . Win Rhaegar , for now Rhaegar has Lyanna now forever .  Robert has the crown and Cercei ,both are not what wanted are his . Cercei is cold to him , while ruling the kingdom is tedious , so whom do you blame ? The person who started the war , Rhaegar and the Targaryens . Now there are only two Targaryens left  , they are strangers to him, but he knows that they have a claim to the throne , Viserys who was once derided as the Beggar King , as he went from free city to free city begging  an army , now uses his sister to get his army . But this may be closest to the real reason  after everything Rhaegar  did, he is still seen as a romantic figure ,the perfect prince while Robert is seen as a usurper .

On 15.2.2017 at 8:18 AM, TimJames said:

Robert Baratheon hates the Targaryens because they ruined his life.

When Robert was still a child his parents died in a shipwreck, because they were chosen by King Aerys Targaryen specifically to look for a valyrian bride for his son Rhaegar Targaryen. 

Then Rhaegar, whom Robert's parents died trying to find a wife for, kidnaps a woman whom Robert loves and Rhaegar's father Aerys demands that Robert and Eddard be executed so as to cover for his irresponsible son. 

Then Robert fights a war to save his love Lyanna, and she dies anyway in the prison that Rhaegar kept her in. So Rhaegar raped Lyanna and is responsible for her death. 

I personally think Rhaegar really did rape Lyanna, but even if you don't think so you have to admit that this is what it looks like to Robert. Were I in Robert's place I would probably hate the Targaryens too. Even these things aside, the Targaryens have historically displayed themselves as being selfish and cruel (Aerys II, Maegor I, Aegon I, Aegon II, Aegon IV, etc). 

I am sorry, but that reasoning makes no sense. Just because Aerys sent Steffon there doesn't mean Robert blamed him for THAT. No, his primary target of hate was Rhaegar. He just hated the Mad King because of what he did to Rickard and Brandon. It wasn't as if Aerys provided Steffon and his wife with a bad ship.

5 hours ago, Quellon said:

I am sorry, but that reasoning makes no sense. Just because Aerys sent Steffon there doesn't mean Robert blamed him for THAT. No, his primary target of hate was Rhaegar. He just hated the Mad King because of what he did to Rickard and Brandon. It wasn't as if Aerys provided Steffon and his wife with a bad ship.

Robert would not be the first person to irrationally blame something on someone who was not directly responsible. It goes like this: Steffon and Cassana died coming home from a voyage...a voyage they never would have taken if Aerys hadn't commanded Steffon to go. In Robert's mind (and remember Robert is no mental giant) Aerys could be responsible for his parents' death.

On 19.2.2017 at 8:17 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Robert would not be the first person to irrationally blame something on someone who was not directly responsible. It goes like this: Steffon and Cassana died coming home from a voyage...a voyage they never would have taken if Aerys hadn't commanded Steffon to go. In Robert's mind (and remember Robert is no mental giant) Aerys could be responsible for his parents' death.

I reckon that is so. But that ofc makes Robert look bad in that sense.

Archived