Possible 3rd Head of the Dragon

Stiles_of_the_Vale

Okay, so I have heard of 3 main contenders to be the 3rd head of the dragon for Dany. Obviously, unlike Aegon the Conqueror, Dany's other 2 heads are not going to be her brothers. I assume that the 2nd head will be Jon Snow because of his biological father (Rhaegar). But the 3rd head typically seems to be subscribed to either Aegon VI, Tyrion, and Ben Brown Plumm. I am a fan of the Faegon theory, with him being a Blackfire, which to me makes him a rival, not an ally,. And I'm not sure how I feel about the idea of Tyrion being a secret Targ. And I feel like Ben Brown is more likely to betray Dany than help her take over Westeros. So, I was trying to think of other possibilities when I realized that there is someone with dragon's blood who has been present since GoT, Gendry. 

I realized that he is 1/8th Targ through Robert. While this is not as much as Dany, Jon, and possibly Aegon or Tyrion, it is not insignificant. But it would be more than Ben Brown or if Aegon is a descent of Daemon I. It has also been noted that he resembles Robert and Renly, and he clearly has no love for the current crown, which would make him a very symbolic character to be at Dany's side. Also, besides luring Brienne and company to Lady Stoneheart, I am at a loss for his continued presence in the story. 

I'm glad you brought the whole dragon rider question up again.   Aemon sure seems to think you have to have Valyrian blood to be a dragon rider when he bemoans his incapability to help Dany (the dragon needs 3 heads...but I am too old...)  I've read TPATQ a few times and I doubt those riders (Hugh, Ulf and Nettles) were dragon seeds.  There was nothing elegant about any of them.  It was supposed to be a great honor to bear a dragon seed and none of these people appeared to have had any sort of special significance or importance prior to becoming dragon riders.   As to Tyrion, I've always thought he could be a secret Targ.   Who would suspect a dwarf of these sophisticated people?  You've got Oberyn's disappointment at Tyrion not having a tail on top of Barristan's admission to Dany that her father desired Joanna and finally the World Book making it clear that timing was absolutely right for Tyrion to have been sired by Aerys.  Add the saddle and dragon dreams and it all points to Tyrion being a Targ bastard and riding a dragon.  It will have been quite a trick of writing if Tyrion isn't either.  My personal problem with this is the undeniable ironic beauty in Tyrion having all this yet still being Tywin's son.   Oh yeah. Either way, I'm more sure of Tyrion riding than Jon.  

We could go through all the Baratheons, Martells, Hightowers, Brackens, Blackwoods and Velaryon et al and find hundreds of part Targs among them.   Celtigars and Velaryons are from Valyria, IIRC.  Any of them should be able to ride dragons.   But I think the group you may be overlooking is the skinchangers.  You've got some very powerful skinchangers and I reckon everyone's magic is amplified in this time.  Bloodraven or Bran could be able to control a dragon so anyone could ride.  

Gendry's got lots to do.  He's a knight, a smith, a r'hllorist, an outlaw and a protector.  He's another bastard with king's blood we've become fond of and he may be able to ID Arya if he ever runs into Arya or Jeyne Pool.  Or Ned Dayne.  Or any of the Northmen or BWB who have disappeared.  And the Hound.  Gendry has been in some very important places with some very important people.  

The vision that was Rhaegar was looking at Daeneys when he said, "There must be one more," and, "The dragon has three heads." As Rhaegar's statement, "His is the song of ice and fire," hinted that his son (actually Jon, not Aegon) is the prince that was promised, his statement, "The dragon has three heads," hinted that two more Targaryens would be revealed, Aegon (who is actually a Blackfyre, not a Targaryen) is the second, and Jon who is yet to be revealed, will be the third.

Three-headed Trios has that tower with three turrets. The first head devours the dying, and the reborn emerge from the third. I don’t know what the middle head’s supposed to do.

Daenerys (the Targaren babe on the black dragon) was the first head. Aegon (like the leader of the greens who tried to steal the last Targaryen queen regnant's throne) is the second. Jon (the blue flower growing from a chink in a wall of ice) will be the third. 

“Under the sea, smoke rises in bubbles, and flames burn green and blue and black,” Patchface sang somewhere."

I don't think the three heads of the dragon is about the dragonriders. It is a metaphor for Targaryen power that is predicted. I think Rhaegar was right in predicting that it will be three people. Only Daenerys seem to believe that it means the dragon riders which will bite her back later when one of her dragon dies. I agree with LM on Rhaegar's statement. It means Rhaegar's son and Daenerys the one he looks at are the heads and he is searching for the third which I interpret to be Tyrion. This doesn't mean he is a Targaryen as Martin himself had said the third head does not have to be a Targaryen. I don't think Aegon will ever ride a dragon as his death lies at the hands of a dragon. I think the second dance will end with Daenerys asking him to prove his heritage by taming Rhaegal and fAegon will try to tame it resulting in his death. I don't think a secondary character like him is that much significant. And Gendry is not a main character and not going to be much important. Though I root him to become the endgame king I feel he was not focused that much to become a prophesied head. 

The story structure itself is focused on three plot threads that revolves around the three heads. The Wall and Jon, Iron throne and Tyrion and the Dragons and Daenerys and these three are going to shape the future of Westeros. 

There is the accepted theory that Jon Snow is the 2nd head, but I am not convinced.  I think Martin has either purposely deceived us or has provided us sufficient evidence to rule out Jon being able to ride a dragon, his burnt hand.

Dany is obviously impervious to fire and heat, Jon is not.  How could he then ride a dragon into battle?  Most characters have not been subjected to fire, but Jon has, and how many times throughout the book has Jon "flexed is burnt fingers" to remind us of that fact.

1 hour ago, Chris Mormont said:

There is the accepted theory that Jon Snow is the 2nd head, but I am not convinced.  I think Martin has either purposely deceived us or has provided us sufficient evidence to rule out Jon being able to ride a dragon, his burnt hand.

Dany is obviously impervious to fire and heat, Jon is not.  How could he then ride a dragon into battle?  Most characters have not been subjected to fire, but Jon has, and how many times throughout the book has Jon "flexed is burnt fingers" to remind us of that fact.

Who ever said a dragon rider had to be fireproof?  GRRM has confirmed that Targs do not have this power, and even the birth of Dany's dragons was a unique moment, a miracle.  The scene in the TV show where she roasts all the Khals and walks out unscathed may not be in the books.  Plenty of Targs (some who were dragon riders) have suffered death or injury from dragonfire or other fire, including Princess Rhaenys, Aegon II, Baela Targaryen, Alyn Velaryon (a bastard), Aerion Brightflame, Rhaenyra Targaryen, Aegon V and several of his family members (at Summerhall), AND of course who can forget Dany's brother Viserys.

Dany, Jon and Bran.

Three dragons, three heads, three tales, one story. 

There is the story of the prince that was promised. This is a Targ Story. TPTWP is said to be from the direct line of Aerys II. Only a full Targ will fullfill this role. So Danny is here the best option. 

There is the story of Azor Ahai. This is a story of the red priests. The story of Melisandre. Jon's Story after she resurects him.

There is the story of the Last Hero. This is clearly Brans story, since it is the only one relating to the COTF, and the only one that is connected with Bran He hears it already in the first Book. We readers know the story through him.

All the three storys are basically the same: A chosen one who will save humanity from the others, from doom. Yet, there are three versions. It is no coincidence from George to tell three versions. Thre dragons, three riders, three Heroes, one story. 

While Jon and Danny have Targ blood and can tame the dragons, Bran can't. But he can warg. He will warg one of the dragon, probably Viserion. 

What's all this discussion about the dragon has three heads? What if they don't exist? What are they going to do if they do exist? A dragon doesn't need a rider for it to be controlled. They'll do whatever Daenerys tells them to.

I understand that Rhaegar says that Aegon was the prince that was promised in the vision and that there needs to be one more but i never took this to mean that they will, like save the world and be dragon riders. In fact I have no idea what this means. He's too vague. Can someone elaborate? Why is this vision all of a sudden a prophecy? How do we know for sure that someone is one of the three dragons? It's all a guessing game , right?!!

Im so confused.

4 minutes ago, shortguy457 said:

What's all this discussion about the dragon has three heads? What if they don't exist? What are they going to do if they do exist? A dragon doesn't need a rider for it to be controlled. They'll do whatever Daenerys tells them to.

I understand that Rhaegar says that Aegon was the prince that was promised in the vision and that there needs to be one more but i never took this to mean that they will, like save the world and be dragon riders. In fact I have no idea what this means. He's too vague. Can someone elaborate? Why is this vision all of a sudden a prophecy? How do we know for sure that someone is one of the three dragons? It's all a guessing game , right?!!

Im so confused.

Given Rhaegar's propensity to read and take prophecy very, very seriously, the fandom is guessing that he read something that indicates that "the dragon must have three heads" relates to The Dragon that was Promised. For years people thought Rhaegar himself was the prophesied hero, but as he got older he was convinced it would be his son (partly because Aegon was conceived beneath a red comet).

The heads don't necessarily have to be dragonriders, but that would make the most sense given the symbolism. Aegon I deliberately chose a three-headed dragon for his house sigil to represent him and his two sisters, three heads (people) of the dragon (House Targaryen), and of course all three rode dragons. This is why I'm never swayed by people claiming that the three-headed dragon coming up is three aspects of one person...it's not consistent with the established symbolism in the series. 

It's not a sure thing that Dany's dragons will all do what she tells them to do. Rhaegal seems to have a jealous streak and if he sees that Drogon has claimed Mama as his rider, he could do some serious acting up over it. In all of known history no one person had ever been able to ride/control more than one dragon at a time. Dany could be the first, but we just don't know yet.

We may or may not get to know who the heads are, if they do exist. Won't be able to answer those questions until the series is finished.

4 hours ago, Oreo Crumbs said:

Who ever said a dragon rider had to be fireproof?  GRRM has confirmed that Targs do not have this power, and even the birth of Dany's dragons was a unique moment, a miracle. 

Spoiler

The scene in the TV show where she roasts all the Khals and walks out unscathed may not be in the books. 

Plenty of Targs (some who were dragon riders) have suffered death or injury from dragonfire or other fire, including Princess Rhaenys, Aegon II, Baela Targaryen, Alyn Velaryon (a bastard), Aerion Brightflame, Rhaenyra Targaryen, Aegon V and several of his family members (at Summerhall), AND of course who can forget Dany's brother Viserys.

You really should put show content in spoiler tags, especially a big one like this. 

10 hours ago, T and A said:

Dany, Jon and Bran.

Three dragons, three heads, three tales, one story. 

There is the story of the prince that was promised. This is a Targ Story. TPTWP is said to be from the direct line of Aerys II. Only a full Targ will fullfill this role. So Danny is here the best option. 

There is the story of Azor Ahai. This is a story of the red priests. The story of Melisandre. Jon's Story after she resurects him.

There is the story of the Last Hero. This is clearly Brans story, since it is the only one relating to the COTF, and the only one that is connected with Bran He hears it already in the first Book. We readers know the story through him.

All the three storys are basically the same: A chosen one who will save humanity from the others, from doom. Yet, there are three versions. It is no coincidence from George to tell three versions. Thre dragons, three riders, three Heroes, one story. 

While Jon and Danny have Targ blood and can tame the dragons, Bran can't. But he can warg. He will warg one of the dragon, probably Viserion. 

Small difference 

There is a prophecy about TPTWP about the coming of promised prince 

There is a prophecy about AAR about the coming of promised prince 

There is a prophecy about TSWMTW about the coming of promised Prince .

There is a tale about LH which is north's version of this hero similar to many tales in essos .

As I was saying all three prophecies speak about a promised prince and as it happens only one character is related with all three prophecies who happens to be a Dragon ( the Last ) and hatching three dragons and related with so many triplets in the story.  

The reason why the following event is supposed to be a miraculous one and one time event is because its the birth of the Dragon( dany) and her three heads ( Drogon,Rhaegal and viserion )

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/thumb/6/6c/MKomarck_DaenerysTheUnburnt.jpg/350px-MKomarck_DaenerysTheUnburnt.jpgjpg

1 hour ago, Drogonthedread said:

TSWMTW

I know I'm a noob, but seriously??? 

I get most of the abbreviations, have even used some of them, but they're seriously annoying to read and should be abolished from the realm henceforth and for all the days to come. 

All that said, nice thread, I like the speculation, but I think it'll never be clearly stated in the text who the three heads are, who's reenacting which myth etc. It doesn't fit with George's (almost wrote GRRM, oops) style of understated and subtle writing. 

3 minutes ago, SiSt said:

I know I'm a noob, but seriously??? 

I get most of the abbreviations, have even used some of them, but they're seriously annoying to read and should be abolished from the realm henceforth and for all the days to come. 

All that said, nice thread, I like the speculation, but I think it'll never be clearly stated in the text who the three heads are, who's reenacting which myth etc. It doesn't fit with George's (almost wrote GRRM, oops) style of understated and subtle writing. 

Haha tell me about it ..but i guess you will find the alternative you have  to type is The Stallion Who Mounts the World .

5 minutes ago, Drogonthedread said:

The Stallion Who Mounts the World

Thanks. Too caught up with Westeros to remember the Dothraki. 

I guess there's a similar mythical figure in most of the civilizations in the story, (all coming from the ancestral myth from the Great Empire of the Dawn) so pulling any random number of them and applying to the closest character does not necessarily mean anything. 

2 hours ago, SiSt said:

Thanks. Too caught up with Westeros to remember the Dothraki. 

I guess there's a similar mythical figure in most of the civilizations in the story, (all coming from the ancestral myth from the Great Empire of the Dawn) so pulling any random number of them and applying to the closest character does not necessarily mean anything. 

Yes but its not any random character or random mythological figure ..as I said its one of the prophecy talking about promised prince ..

We are not pullinganything but we are being told about the prophecy introduced to their world and a main character is spending time with them and have major character growth with them.

For someone who is on essos they sure seem to have  same stories abou long winter being end of the world ..

And we can say they are not gojng to be like other figures or tales who are mentioned along the way one in a hundred because Being under daenerys means they are going to play a part in the war 

Archived