Legion (FX's Marvel tv series) [SPOILERS]

AncalagonTheBlack

Another question that springs to mind -

The pilot appears to be set in two different technological eras, right? There is a cut at one point between the interrogator using a tablet and a the psychologist holding a 70's looking leather folder. 

I'm going to stop with the spoiler tags, they don't seem necessary.

I assumed the stage was just broadcasting footage from the room, or from the grounds, so they'd know to be ready without being in the same room as the boss man.

On the group who took David, I'm hoping they go more Brotherhood of Mutants than X-Men, it'd play well to the angle of David being pulled in multiple directions rather than just Black and White Good and Evil.

I need to watch it again, I paid more attention than I do to most shows, and I still fell I missed loads.

Yea I didn't really get the theatre either, my best guess is it's thrown in to cast doubt on what's real and what's not. I can see this being the kind of series with trippy stuff throughout that doesn't quite add up, I was initially hoping to pin down the era in case it became relevant to any X-Men films, but again, it doesn't seem like we're gonna see major tie ins with this.

Watched it last night... loved it... but wonder if they can keep the same themes throughout.

The acting quality was far better than I anticipated.  As noted in this thread, the CGI shots were typical TV quality; but not bad overall.

I will keep watching.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Another question that springs to mind -

The pilot appears to be set in two different technological eras, right? There is a cut at one point between the interrogator using a tablet and a the psychologist holding a 70's looking leather folder. 

I noticed that too, I chalked it up to them trying to confuse him. There was clearly two eras, one seemed early 70's ish and the other seemed current.

15 minutes ago, red snow said:

So if this new group is a potential brotherhood it would be fun if the leader is mystique. Even the girl has rogue-ish powers with the no touch power.

I really hope they avoid all of that bullshit. I don't want to see any "expanded universe" tie-ins, personally. 

A totally off the wall coincidence last night while watching... when I was in school, I had a friend who used to taunt another friend of ours by saying "Daaaaaavid... Daaaaaaaaaavid..."  (The other guy's name wasn't even David... but it caught on and he did it all the time.)  After seeing the scene in the interrogation room where he starts chanting that, I had to rewind and record the scene on my phone and send it to them.  :lol: 

Also, I couldn't help but notice the tie between the red countertops in the kitchen during his telekinetic breakdown and the red table in the interrogation room.

31 minutes ago, Relic said:

I really hope they avoid all of that bullshit. I don't want to see any "expanded universe" tie-ins, personally. 

the show will be better if unfettered (especially from the movies) convoluted continuity. I'm cool with them using comic characters that aren't mixed in with the films though. From a licensing point I could see Marvel actually wanting them to use some characters while for Fox it'd be better to use new characters. From the awesomely cool appearance of the two mutants who were tracking him, Marvel comics need to insert them into the comics or get whoever designed them to do some work for them.

11 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

If Wolverine doesn't appear, I'm out. :P

Surely they have to get some fun hint of him in there - even if it's just claws. Deadpool could easily fit inside Legion's head.

Yeah, that was really good.

I'm less interested in the stage than in the weird box thing they focused on at one point, in the same area. Coz the way they lingered suggests that's important in some way. The stage may be more a thematic thing, though it could play out as something more directly relevant too.

I don't think the difference in eras will come to anything, at least not directly plot-relevant. Wasn't it just an in-the-hospital thing, and if done on purpose at all probably is more a meta thematic element highlighting the difference between the hospital psychiatrist and the interrogator dude?

I'm not convinced that the Sydney in the escape gang is the real one, coz she's suddenly weirdly okay about touching all of a sudden. Unless the idea is that having touched him once it won't happen again.

Also: Supernatural flashbacks in the whole 'yellow-eyed demon' thing. Although Supernatural did that particular element better.

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm less interested in the stage than in the weird box thing they focused on at one point, in the same area. Coz the way they lingered suggests that's important in some way. The stage may be more a thematic thing, though it could play out as something more directly relevant too.

I'm not convinced that the Sydney in the escape gang is the real one, coz she's suddenly weirdly okay about touching all of a sudden. Unless the idea is that having touched him once it won't happen again.

I thought there was some kind of animal in the cage and I wondered if had some kind of link with the wolf sculpture the curly-haired guy put on the table during the interrogation.  But then he began carving something else, so wasn't sure.

She mentioned not allowing skin-to-skin contact.  She was well enough covered and gloved in the field to be able to grab him, but in the hospital she may have exaggerated the "don't touch me" to avoid any accidental contact with all the other patients and staff.

Just now, polishgenius said:

I don't think the difference in eras will come to anything, at least not directly plot-relevant. Wasn't it just an in-the-hospital thing, and if done on purpose at all probably is more a meta thematic element highlighting the difference between the hospital psychiatrist and the interrogator dude?

There seems to be a huge difference in tech, such as whatever it is Aubrey Plaza is listening to music on, altho there ARE flat screens...playing black and white footage. As i said above there is a very obvious cut between a fancy touchscreen tablet and a file folder that really highlights the difference. pretty early on.  

I dunno, it seems entirely possible that most, if not all, of the first episode occurred inside of David's head. Like a battle for control over his hidden powers between his many personas. 

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

I dunno, it seems entirely possible that most, if not all, of the first episode occurred inside of David's head. Like a battle for control over his hidden powers between his many personas. 

That's possible, although I'd say that the events must have really happened to some extent, but perhaps not exactly as we saw them.

I read a piece today that wondered if Sydney was real at all.

I know that early in the episode, I definitely thought she was just something in his head; but then later thought she was real.  :dunno: 

53 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I read a piece today that wondered if Sydney was real at all.

I know that early in the episode, I definitely thought she was just something in his head; but then later thought she was real.  :dunno: 

What's tricky is working out if any of it's real. I really need to rewatch as I think a second viewing would help a lot. But all the other super-powered people could just be parts of his mind. Especially if they are being faithful to his powerset from the comics (and I feel they could have just invented a new character if that wasn't the case.

I also wondered if a lot of scenes have extra people there who aren't real. I mean, those guys wearing pink wooly hats seemed a bit out of place. Also it seemed odd how his sister was perfectly cool with his appearing (which was after the hospital incident?). Although i did enjoy it when she removed all the sharp objects from the basement.

We have to be especially careful after the scene where Sydney was chatting to him via a memory although he didn't seem to think he was in a memory. It means he could be doing this all the time. It gets even muddier when he can potentially travel through time as well. I think we got a hint of him being able to freeze/slow time in this episode.

Spoiler

I'm thinking the differences in technology can be explained by what is memory and what is present. Syd kind of hinted at that in the scene where David is being pursued by Ptonomy Wallace and Kerry Loudermilk; Somehow they are in his memories.

Spoiler

I read about Ptonomy's powers being memory based. He can enter other's memories and bring people with him into those memories. I think he will be crucial in David's therapy.

Speculative spoilers, with one actual spoiler included in the second spoiler tag.

So upon second watching I made vague notes. So here are mostly just stray observations:

Yellow Yes (no not the one from Supernatural) appears five times (that I spotted,) human sized in the scenes where he hangs himself with a cord that may have been merely telepathic (the police found no cord, just his rope burns,) When the Bed levitates in his dream, he appears small when the knife flies passed him in the kitchen, appears huge when Sydney is in Davids body and bad shit goes down, then small at the beach when Melanie Bird offers David his hand, he looks between the two and after he makes his mind up he disappears.

I still think he is a persona, possibly to do with Telekinesis, all but the last could be said to have a telekinetic element, and that I think is because he chooses to assert his control in that situation. He appears bigger when he has more power, the hanging, when Sydney doesn't know how to contain his fractured brain (I think the personas are to do with brain chemistry not where Davids mind happens to be at that moment,) the Kitchen scene seems quite interesting as he seems to be enjoying it, until Yellow Eyes seemingly throws a knife at his face. However there are two fairly major telekinetic events that don't seem to involve yellow eyes: The Interrogation room, and the Police Car, that latter is part of a montage so may be intentionally brief, the former I choose to write off right now as David being fairly firmly in control of that happening.

The fire engine reads Calvino, no idea if this means anything. All I casn find is Calvino Rankin, an alternate universe Mimicary Mutant, I'm unfamiliar with him, but his first mutant event has him throwing things around with his mind, and hooked up with the Brotherhood? Pertinent? http://marvelcomicsfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Calvino_Rankin_(Earth-515)

Younger David doesn't seem to look like him much, it seems to suggest he goes from a blonde baby (pretty common,) I feel like they intentionally spiked his baby hair up, to a brown haird pyrotechnic kid (He often has Pyrokeneitc powers,) to a thick set blonde haired late teenager, back to skinny brown haired modern David. Is this important or just part of the trouble of casting younger versions of actors?

The time period seems a little unclear, but I'm very much leaning towards modern with any flavour notes being Davids psychosis. It looks more like 70's imitation than genuine 70's stuff, especially with touch pads, and flatscreens. The clothing seems very retro, but kind of like someone looking back and taking the good bits and doing it in a modern way. Oddest I found was the black dude (Ptonomy?) is using a tommy gun, and all the government soldiers are using modern machine guns.

I'm guessing evil Art Garfunkel is a mutant, he appears to be there as muscle, and is carving a dog, there's a dog in a cage upstairs, he's credited as 'the eye,' so I'd guess he sees through his carvings. Maybe there's a connection to the dog in the cage, maybe not.

When the soldiers are watching the out of sight stage screen, a old recording sounding voice says: 'This is very very good, a real surprise,' no idea if that means anything.

David appears to have done something to a Dr Poole, and maybe hints he did something worse to his apartment as well (but might just be that he hasn't been resident there for a while.)

The interrogator is very much not seen to die.

Lenny looks way better in Davids head, and there's a nice shot of her in the mirror as Davids sister leaves the basement.

What is the loudspeaker during the lockdown saying? it gets a bit fuzzy, but I'm not completely certain it's not saying 'Attention Hallucinations...'

Oh and the music an neon really made me think of Stranger Things.

Archived