Legion (FX's Marvel tv series) [SPOILERS]

AncalagonTheBlack

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Did anyone realize Syd is Simone from Fargo S2? It was driving me crazy trying to figure out where I knew her from until I looked it up. 

I guess it wasn't instantly obvious in the show but it was heavily publicised in the pre-show news. I was more surprised (despite being instantly recognisable) at Fargo s2's matriarch turning up. I'd be on board with other Fargo actors popping up, for sure.

Fantastic show so far. Really hard to keep up with it all, but that's kind of a good thing. I'm not familiar with Legion at all. Plaza is amazingly watchable.

BTW I read that while originally this was set in the Xmen universe, they decided not to do that for more creative freedom. So you won't see any characters really from either the Xmen universe or the Marvel universe. There might be some that are somehow connected to Legion, however. I'm not familiar with who is connected to him.

There are spoilers in this article, both about the character and the show. If you want to avoid them, then just read what I've quoted.

X-Men fans should not expect a Hugh Jackman cameo anytime soon.
With Fargo, Hawley has proven that he's an endlessly inventive storyteller, and he has said that he approached Legion in the same fashion as the Coen brothers spin-off – in this case, taking one existing character and placing him in a newly invented world. He's been intentionally vague about whether other X-Men might ever drop into the storyline, but neither he nor any of the show's executive producers (including frequent X-movie director Bryan Singer) have given any indication that the series will eventually fit within the franchise's cinematic timeline at all. Instead, executive producer Simon Kinberg (who wrote and produced the most recent two X-Men movies) has suggested this series was conceived as the comic book world's answer to Breaking Bad. Does that make David Haller the new Walter White? If so, the Eye might want to watch out for his Heisenberg persona.

'Legion': Everything You Need to Know About Bold New 'X-Men' TV Show
From who this mutant is to why this is unlike any other superhero show you've ever seen, the rundown on FX's brilliant, oddball X-series

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/legion-everything-you-need-to-know-about-x-men-tv-show-w465124

Can't  say it was bad.    Quality was there.  Sort of a stretched feeling like one hour's story was made into two.  Didn't  really feel like content, more like a parade of style over substance.  Maybe that was just a premiere thing though and the next episodes will be a more proper world intro with details and linear events.   It's   something youths won't  be able to resist though, especially if they're  not tired of asylum drama yet.  ( Remember  when druglord movies were also still awesome because you hadnt seen 50 of them yet?)   also nicely funny and good unfolding of tidbits.   At the end didn't  you wish the show was centered on that cool telekinesis guy instead of the lunatic guy they spent all their time on and then they bring in a way more exciting crew at the end so why is the show about the least effective mutant with the most problems?- - - because that will allow them to waste the most time focussed on how this guy wallows which is easier than writers having to keep pace with what mutants would be like at full efficacy.

On 2/10/2017 at 7:17 PM, Nictarion said:

Did anyone realize Syd is Simone from Fargo S2? It was driving me crazy trying to figure out where I knew her from until I looked it up. 

Yup, I did the same. I didn't even realize it was Dan Stevens when I saw all the promos originally. I liked the first episode but I just hope the 'what's real and what's not' thing doesn't last all season. 

On 11/02/2017 at 10:55 PM, The Mother of The Others said:

Can't  say it was bad.    Quality was there.  Sort of a stretched feeling like one hour's story was made into two.  Didn't  really feel like content, more like a parade of style over substance.  Maybe that was just a premiere thing though and the next episodes will be a more proper world intro with details and linear events.   It's   something youths won't  be able to resist though, especially if they're  not tired of asylum drama yet.  ( Remember  when druglord movies were also still awesome because you hadnt seen 50 of them yet?)   also nicely funny and good unfolding of tidbits.   At the end didn't  you wish the show was centered on that cool telekinesis guy instead of the lunatic guy they spent all their time on and then they bring in a way more exciting crew at the end so why is the show about the least effective mutant with the most problems?- - - because that will allow them to waste the most time focussed on how this guy wallows which is easier than writers having to keep pace with what mutants would be like at full efficacy.

I get where you are coming from. The plot itself wasn't especially brilliant or life changing, but it was definitely elevated by a supremely beautiful visual style and a directorial bravery that you wouldn't normally find in a show like this. 

I really enjoyed it.  Props to this thread because I wasn't especially hankering for yet another Marvel tale but the posts here picqued my interest. 

I thought the slow reveal, unreliable narrator and the whole 12 Monkeys vibe really worked well.  I don't want it to just become a regular super hero arc from here so I hope they have a plot to sustain the suspense and mystery for a while. 

I don't want 10 hours of emo wallowing for the rest of the season but suspense and mystery would be fun.  There was enough quirky humor, misdirection and hints of self-deception that I have high hopes. Let's see how they handle it from here. 

How did he return to his body outside the asylum?  In the initial switch, their minds jumped to the bodies, but we see them revert at the outdoor cafe and it looks like his body jumped back to his mind.  

Is Aubrey Plaza a "real" character at the outset or just a figment.  I thought definitely a figment but she seems to stop the doc and woman as they were about to leave the asylum.  Was that just him projecting a psychic blast as he ran?  Otherwise no other character interacts with her. 

16 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

How did he return to his body outside the asylum?  In the initial switch, their minds jumped to the bodies, but we see them revert at the outdoor cafe and it looks like his body jumped back to his mind.

I've watched it twice, and still have no idea what's supposed to have happened there. If someone could explain it I'd be eternally grateful, because all I see here is an enormous plot hole.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I've watched it twice, and still have no idea what's supposed to have happened there. If someone could explain it I'd be eternally grateful, because all I see here is an enormous plot hole.

Does it count as a plot hole if they specifically acknowledge it and clearly did it on purpose?

I mean, it clunks a bit, but they needed to have the not-X-Men accidentally take the girl instead of him, so they made it so her power is they switch bodies, but when they switch back they swap places. That's an awkward piece of storytelling but if that's how her power works it's not really a hole.

It'll become one if they never depict it that way again and don't explain the discrepancy in any way.

I just assumed it was part of the power, after a certain period of time, the bodies just snap back to wherever the brain has got to. It might not even have happened in the moment we saw it, it's just that that was when David first realised.

I thought Lenny had enough interactions in the hospital to be a genuine person, I'm more interested if Legion has genuinely copied her entire personality or is just envisioning what he thinks she'd say.

42 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

I thought Lenny had enough interactions in the hospital to be a genuine person, 

When?  She seems to only talk to the main POV and get ignored by others.  None of the others acknowledged her in the group therapy session.  But then she seems to interrupt/delay the doc and woman as they were about to walk out.  With the unreliable narrator style, I was looking closely at whether she had interactions as a real character and it seemed very inconclusive until right at the end. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I mean, it clunks a bit, but they needed to have the not-X-Men accidentally take the girl instead of him, so they made it so her power is they switch bodies, but when they switch back they swap places.

I realise we're discussing a show about Mutants here, but physics.

I think its reasonably safe to assume they will be revisiting exactly what happened there, or at least confirming the mechanism of her powers. I really enjoyed it, I like that its threading the line between 'actually lost contact with reality' and 'normal is just how society defines it' with a more nuanced portrayal of the way you can convince someone they are crazy. It helps when they're having experiences that are not possible with our current understanding of reality, but the underlying thing there is that sustained gaslighting will undermine everyone.

I'm also not so sure that even linked up with the not-Xmen that it would devolve into a super hero group. Is there any indication they're using their powers to help people generally? It could just as easily be something more like magneto where they are defending themselves or even at the far extreme something more like Sato in the anime Ajin - toying with humans is entertainment when you've got godlike powers. The tone of this just doesn't seem set up for it to head that way, they certainly didn't seem to have any compunctions about killing a bunch of soldiers.

31 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

When?  She seems to only talk to the main POV and get ignored by others.  None of the others acknowledged her in the group therapy session.  But then she seems to interrupt/delay the doc and woman as they were about to walk out.  With the unreliable narrator style, I was looking closely at whether she had interactions as a real character and it seemed very inconclusive until right at the end. 

The doctor signals for her to stop tapping her headphone early on in the therapy session. Sydney doesn't react to her Moxie comment, but she's being evasive at that point anyway, only the doctor David, Lenny and Sydney have lines in this scene, and the focus is very much David and Sydney.

The interrogator is questioning him about the 'dead girl.' Which is almost certainly Lenny.

And then there is the direct interaction you mention when she splits them up to talk about 'Lady Stuff.'

She talks a lot when David/Sydney is freaking out and no one seems to care, but no one else is being paid attention to either.

It's certainly not clear, and they are going hard for an unreliable narrator, but there's enough for me to think she was real.

23 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I realise we're discussing a show about Mutants here, but physics.

Various forms of reality warping are some of Legions multiple powers, to switch bodies in space seems a pretty minor thing everything considered.

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

In keeping with the Parks & Recreation alum turned Marvel heroes success stories.... I'm thinking that Aubrey Plaza would make a terrific Domino

I'm sure whoever they cast will be brilliant, but Domino is too firmly in my mind Kate Beckinsale at this point to consider anyone else.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

I'm sure whoever they cast will be brilliant, but Domino is too firmly in my mind Kate Beckinsale at this point to consider anyone else.

Don't get me wrong, if Kate Beckensale asked me to commit a major felony, I would.... But I've always thought of Domino as cute, as opposed to gorgeous

5 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Don't get me wrong, if Kate Beckensale asked me to commit a major felony, I would.... But I've always thought of Domino as cute, as opposed to gorgeous

The comics I read with her in the 90s tended to portray her as quite hard and more of a strong beauty than anything. Someone with a Sigourney Weaver vibe.

Although a quick google search suggests I was maybe reading the title at a different time (I think it was when there was an artists called "pollina" on board). It looks like the plan these days is to appeal to the arkham assylum HarleyQuinn audience.

I can see why someone would see a similarity with Kate Beckinsale based soley on her gun toting leather clad role in Underworld.

Archived