Legion (FX's Marvel tv series) [SPOILERS]

AncalagonTheBlack

12 hours ago, red snow said:

The comics I read with her in the 90s tended to portray her as quite hard and more of a strong beauty than anything. Someone with a Sigourney Weaver vibe.

Although a quick google search suggests I was maybe reading the title at a different time (I think it was when there was an artists called "pollina" on board). It looks like the plan these days is to appeal to the arkham assylum HarleyQuinn audience.

I can see why someone would see a similarity with Kate Beckinsale based soley on her gun toting leather clad role in Underworld.

It appears to be down to Kerry Washington, Sienna Miller, and my pick out of the three, Gugu Mbatha-Raw

http://screenrant.com/casting-details-for-deadpool-2s-domino-revealed/

The truth is, that I'd be very happy with anyone mentioned in this article

This show may end up as one of my top 5's of 2017. It's only the second episode but it has my complete attention.

Does the short fat gray guy he sees remind anyone else of Mojo? I can't help but think of Mojo every time I see him.

9 hours ago, Astromech said:

This show may end up as one of my top 5's of 2017. It's only the second episode but it has my complete attention.

Does the short fat gray guy he sees remind anyone else of Mojo? I can't help but think of Mojo every time I see him.

I've seen it thrown around and did mention it a few pages back, but it'd be a very brave move to go with Mojo.

This is one of those very few shows where I want to watch episodes more than once, I didn't love this as much as the first, but I'll certainly be watching this one again.

Also I'm leaning back towards Lenny always being a personality.

I'm glad they haven't just forgotten Amy.

The X-Men vibe is pretty strong, and Syd with the gloves is very much making me think of Rogue.

Good creepy stuff, the World's Angriest boy. The question of what happened to Dr. Pool(e,) I'm still leanign towards Yellow Eyes being totally within his head, not an outside entity.

11 hours ago, Astromech said:

Dude, soon as I saw him I figured it was Mojo, especially with the sickly yellow eyes. Which would be awesome, cause the Mojoverse has some pretty wild and trippy things to bring to the table, as well as possible Longshot tie in.

the second episode was a lot creepier in places like it could easily be a horror show. I certainly hope we don't see too much more of the angriest boy in the world as a life-like figure. Plus they did a great job of me not wanting that door to be opened.

I like the cult-like vibe of the place he's at. Seems like a lot of the powers are mind based.

The cast are really good so far - most of them seem to "pop" when on screen. None more so than Aubrey Plaza who almost feels like she's in 3D she seems so animated and energetic in every scene. I was a bit confused she seems to have been his girlfriend at some stage - especially given what we saw last episode so I'm putting that down to "weirdness" until someone helps clarify.

I think Mojo would be a really brave move without them bringing him (quite literally) down to earth. I'm still sticking with Shadow King.

13 hours ago, red snow said:

the second episode was a lot creepier in places like it could easily be a horror show. I certainly hope we don't see too much more of the angriest boy in the world as a life-like figure. Plus they did a great job of me not wanting that door to be opened.

I like the cult-like vibe of the place he's at. Seems like a lot of the powers are mind based.

The cast are really good so far - most of them seem to "pop" when on screen. None more so than Aubrey Plaza who almost feels like she's in 3D she seems so animated and energetic in every scene. I was a bit confused she seems to have been his girlfriend at some stage - especially given what we saw last episode so I'm putting that down to "weirdness" until someone helps clarify.

I think Mojo would be a really brave move without them bringing him (quite literally) down to earth. I'm still sticking with Shadow King.

I'm not sure how I feel about that second episode, I guessed it wouldn't be quite up to the standard of the first because I always assumed that first episode was going to be a bit more showy and individual to work as a sort of pilot. 

That second episode slowed down a little bit for me, and I found myself looking at my phone more than usual. Thats not to say it was in any way bad, more that I'm feeling like the story involved is really not all that interesting and might just be going over the same stories I've seen in many other comic book adaptations, of a mutant kid learning to use his powers. 

The direction and visuals are all top class, but are they going to be enough to keep me interested if there isn't much else to the story. Right now the one thing that is intriguing me is the darker elements, if there is some external force involved in Davids powers .. that might add something to the mix that I'm not seeing right now. 

I hope its not just a tv version of Xmen I guess.

As for your mention of casting, I think I'd go the other way and say that with better casting the show could actually be a lot better. I'm not a fan of Dan Stevens, I didn't like him in the Guest and I have the feeling that actually he's miscast for this show. To me it feels like hes going for quirky and different, but that isn't really quite who he is, so he's doing the obvious things like little twitches and stares. But essentially he doesn't really have that vibe about him, and he doesn't have enough charisma to hold my attention. 

Right now its everyone else in the show that is holding him up, especially the Fargo contingent who I think are mostly great. Aubrey Plaza I'm now simply annoyed at. Her schtick got dull in Parks and Rec pretty quickly and here she is again going to Quirky and Crazy in the way you'd expect someone in a school play to do. It doesn't fit and it feels forced. I try to ignore her when shes onscreen.

Still, I think she show has plenty of potential and its the one thing I'm watching on a week to week basis. 

I enjoyed ep2 two a lot and thought they did well to keep the story in the mental sphere rather than pivot to the Xmen-like physical adventure during the escape at the end of ep1.  I don't know the Marvelverse well enough to know the story of Legion or Mojo or any others referred to here. 

If ep1 borrowed from 12 Monkeys, ep2 borrowed from Inception.  It preserved the suspense and mystery, added some tension/anxiety without going full-on horror, and unwrapped a little more of the back story. 

I think the actors are doing really well.  Portraying (possible) insanity is always a fine line between injecting exaggerated quirks and twitches, e.g. Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys, & being noticeably different from the surrounding sane characters and feeling forced.  The trippy nature of the direction means the actors can exaggerate those quirks and twitches and still feel like it fits. 

18 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I enjoyed ep2 two a lot and thought they did well to keep the story in the mental sphere rather than pivot to the Xmen-like physical adventure during the escape at the end of ep1.  I don't know the Marvelverse well enough to know the story of Legion or Mojo or any others referred to here. 

If ep1 borrowed from 12 Monkeys, ep2 borrowed from Inception.  It preserved the suspense and mystery, added some tension/anxiety without going full-on horror, and unwrapped a little more of the back story. 

I think the actors are doing really well.  Portraying (possible) insanity is always a fine line between injecting exaggerated quirks and twitches, e.g. Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys, & being noticeably different from the surrounding sane characters and feeling forced.  The trippy nature of the direction means the actors can exaggerate those quirks and twitches and still feel like it fits. 

Funny you should mention 12 monkeys because thats exactly what it reminded me of. When 12 Monkeys came out I thought Brad Pitt was brilliant in that role, these days I find it a little cringeworthy and overblown. Stevens performance shares a lot with that Pitt one, but both are a little too 'performed' for me to really buy into them.

Good ep. My mind did stray a bit more than the first ep, but overall this seems one of the best shows on TV right now. I actually liked Stevens performance better this ep and it's one of the main things keeping me watching. 

The gold eyed fat guy reminded me of Mojo as well, and I'm only familiar with him from the 90's Xmen cartoon. I doubt it's him though simply because then the MCU couldn't use him. He's from the Guardians of the Galaxy area of Marvel, right?

I was a bit confused she seems to have been his girlfriend at some stage - especially given what we saw last episode so I'm putting that down to "weirdness" until someone helps clarify.

I missed that, if it happened. Did they kiss or something? To me it looked like they were stoner/minor criminal buddies, like Bubbles and his pals on the Wire. Looks like it was at some point in the past, if it's not made up.

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

The gold eyed fat guy reminded me of Mojo as well, and I'm only familiar with him from the 90's Xmen cartoon. I doubt it's him though simply because then the MCU couldn't use him. He's from the Guardians of the Galaxy area of Marvel, right?

Yeah, he was around when Longshot was a member of the X-Men, so 90s. I agree with Nictarion that he wouldn't fit in the show, however crazy Mojoverse is. It reminds me a lot of Matthew Stover's Acts of Caine, come to think of it. http://marvel.com/universe/Mojo

Oh, just did a little research and I get it now. He's an extra-dimensional being. I got confused because I haven't seen the Xmen cartoon in a long time, and also the Xmen ran into Mojo near the same time they were flying around in space. Thus I assumed he was from the Guardians of the Galaxy's area. He very well could be in this show, then. It'd certainly fit with the tone and style.

Mojo kind of reminds me of something you might run into in the Myth book series.

5 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

I missed that, if it happened. Did they kiss or something? To me it looked like they were stoner/minor criminal buddies, like Bubbles and his pals on the Wire. Looks like it was at some point in the past, if it's not made up.

No kissing.

Presumably immediately prior to his being sent to Clockworks, Dr Kissinger is interested in what happened to Dr Poole, who is the Davids Dr at the time. I think it's fair to assume the bloody face is what happens to him, and is the inciting incident for David being sectioned. The main question for me is whether she is in his head or not.

5 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Nope. Mojo's first appearance was in the Longshot mini-series, which afterwards was all kind of absorbed by the X-men [Longshot] and New Mutants [Shatterstar] with Mojo and Spiral kind of bouncing back and forth as villains between the two. 

ETA: sorry, didn't see your following post before I responded to this

So Syd and David work as pretty sweet on screen, but I am bugged by the fact that David still hasn't apologised for or even acknowledged that his breaking her no-touch rule was a dick move despite them specifically violating her no-touching rule, and neither does she seem angry at him for it despite the fact that him doing so ended up causing her to horrifically murder someone.

And to that, I don't buy the idea that Lenny was only ever in his head. Just don't see the evidence for it. We see her talking to Syd and the doc in ep 1, the spooks mention that she was stuck in the wall, and in this episode we see her specifically talking to someone else and Syd says 'I think I killed your friend' not 'I think I killed a random girl I've never seen before'. But I am now certain that at some point David is going to reference the conversation she and Sydney had (about getting some candy bar or something?) and that's how Sydney figures out Lenny's in his head now.

Anyway, while I don't have anything really against Aubrey Plaza, watching her in this does make me realise why Summer Glau got typecast as playing crazy people. Because it's hard so you might as well hire someone you know can do it.

But anyway, not quite as out-there as the first episode but nicely done and creepy. As mentioned above there's a culty air about Summerland and I suspect that what we're going to see from the leader lady is as much Magneto as Professor X.

Yeah I'm pretty sure she is real, but in the very first episode they purposefully had David misremember something, to set out their stall that everything is to be doubted. But obviously there is a limit they can retract up to.

Hy headcanon about Summerland is that they aren't really Mutants, they're just Swedish, living in a mystical fjord somewhere, with stylish furniture and architecture.

Archived