Legion (FX's Marvel tv series) [SPOILERS]

AncalagonTheBlack

IM quite a ways behind (just watched episode 3) so I'm only visiting this thread briefly for now. I love this show. It's wonderfully creepy and trippy, it has a certain kind of horror element to it. I think the cast is great and there is some good writing here that keeps things very mysterious (this is from the Fargo writer isn't it? I also recognised some cast from Fargo). And the music choices really work too.

Aubrey Plaza is great in this too. I often find she is the focus of every scene she is in even where she is clearly supposed to be in the background. It's interesting seeing her in such a different role to April in Parks and Rec (which is where she's probably best known from).

I was also interested to learn that Lenny was originally written as a middle aged man. Huh, curious

33 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

IM quite a ways behind (just watched episode 3) 

< snip >

I was also interested to learn that Lenny was originally written as a middle aged man. Huh, curious

:lol: 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Did someone upthread say they thought it seemed more like Syd was the real main character of the show?

If not... well, I really think she is now! :)

She's felt like the protagonist the past few episodes at the very least. Perhaps David is affecting her subconscious and guiding her towards saving them all?

I had to wonder after tonight's episode whether all of the characters are simply inventions of David. Well other than Lenny/King. This is a mind fuck.

I love that Oliver seems to be aiding everyone.

Multiple contradictory thoughts in my mind concerning the show, but loving it.

Yes, Aubrey Plaza continues to amaze me. She is quickly becoming the best part of this show which is probably my favorite current series along with Black Sails.

We're truly living in the golden age of TV - so many fantastic series, who would have thought just back in 2010 that Netflix would be producing so many great products, but HBO and other networks are proving up to the task too.  SyFy with The Expanse, and now this program - Legion has completely blown me away, I've been waiting a while for something like this.  A friend of a friend, Youtuber (Peter Chow/David Tong) from up here in Vancouver had one of his first notable TV rolls in this new show.

I never thought I'd reach a place where, even being on disability and having limitless free time - I wouldn't have time to watch all the great new programs that I wish to. I'm literally playing catchup constantly, so many series I need to watch, example, we binged "Girls" right up to this week's episode, and still have dozens left to see.  Speaking of Blacksails, just finished season 1, and started 2 tonight, Master and Commander being a top 5 film for me, I have no idea why I've waited so long, loving all things nautical from the age of sail.

Legion I'll be making time for, continually.  Really makes me hopeful too for more future projects in these characters' universe. 

17 hours ago, Rhom said:

:lol: 

Okay so I just watched Episode 4 and see why that's funny now :P I'd only seen her say that Lenny was written as a middle aged guy in an interview before now.

I dont quite understand how Kerry's/Cary's powers work. So it's two people in one body, and Kerry can only live independently when Cary allows it? But then at the end why was Cary moving exactly like Kerry? He hadn't been doing so until then. 

14 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Okay so I just watched Episode 4 and see why that's funny now :P I'd only seen her say that Lenny was written as a middle aged guy in an interview before now.

I dont quite understand how Kerry's/Cary's powers work. So it's two people in one body, and Kerry can only live independently when Cary allows it? But then at the end why was Cary moving exactly like Kerry? He hadn't been doing so until then. 

Yeah, I didn't want to spoil that for you... but I did have to laugh.

I had the exact same questions on the Carries.  We had some discussion a page or two back on it and I'm not sure we ever came to a solid conclusion.  I decided its the lamest super power ever if it doesn't at least come with some super healing factor or strength or something.

Oh I see it now. I was also confused about the whole birth thing - I thought Kerry was born, and then Cary was born nine months later. But BlackBear's explanation clears that up, they only thought they were going to have a baby girl (Kerry). 

However, there is another discrepancy. Cary tells Melanie that Kerry doesn't age unless she is outside of his body. So, how does he wake up to find an 8-year old Kerry playing with his trains? Wouldn't she be a baby still? 

And yeah it's not a very useful power. But I suppose it demonstrates a mutation isn't necessarily beneficial. Though on a personal level it maybe helps with loneliness...

Does the song 99 Red Balloons that Ptonomy mentioned his mom like help pin down the time frame of the show?  It came out in 1983.  How old was he when his mom died, and how old is he now?  Or is anything in the sanitarium just not truthworthy regarding time?

I think the song reference is trustworthy in that it definitely takes place after that song came out. Unless the Shadow King can see into the future and decided the best use of that ability was to place a false memory about a future song in someone's head.

I initially thought the show was in the late 60s early 70s due to some of the fashion and women hairstyles. But now with the 99 Lufballons  or 99 Red Balloons song, that puts it 83/84, but only if you discount that the song is a reference to Ptonomy's childhood. If it is part of his childhood, then the show is probably in the 90s. The 90s timeline has a couple of clues: Ptonomy said his father was stationed in Germany - shouldn't he have said West Germany? The rifles the government goons use are, I think, the German G36, which was designed in the early 90s. But going back to the clothing fashion + that phone kiosk used by David in an earlier episode, I think 70s-80s are more likely.

Didn't Ptolomy say his mother died when he was five and he remembers her singing that song?   If that song came out in 1983, then the show would have to be 20 to 25 years later, assuming Ptolomy is in his late 20's or early thirties, which would be in the 2000's, which of course doesn't match any of the visual clues..  

Tbh I don't see any reason to believe the varied visual era stuff going on is anything more than just subtle brainfuckery from the showrunners to us. Still reasonably sure it's modern day or near enough.

On the song: there's no reason he had to hear it when it came out. For starters, although this may just be a rick by the showrunners, he couldn't have been living in a house at Potsdamer Platz in the 80s because there was a great big wall through the middle of it (not that there are any actual houses there now, it's all shiny office blocks and modern flats and shit, but you can live there at least) so if we're looking for clues in that scene for the timescale (rather than assuming 'showrunners naming famous German stuff at random' which I hope is not the case) it has to be in the 90s.

Also: yeah, David's father is Xavier but I don't think it'll become relevant any time soon.

I wanna know what's going on with the Eye. Has Lenny let him off the leash on purpose or has he loosened his own bonds? Also does he have any powers besides being able to look like other people? Because the show plays him as far more terrifying than just that.

Archived