Legion (FX's Marvel tv series) [SPOILERS]

AncalagonTheBlack

13 hours ago, Morpheus said:

I think the song reference is trustworthy in that it definitely takes place after that song came out. Unless the Shadow King can see into the future and decided the best use of that ability was to place a false memory about a future song in someone's head.

I disagree.  He doesn't have to see into the future, the present just has to be 1983 or later.  Say it is 1983 "now" the same year the show takes place, and his mom died 25 years prior would make then 1958.  Ptonomy has a perfect memory, but what if the Shadow King can mess with that in the astral plane, allowing Ptonomy to misrember details?  But the current year might be 1983, would fit with Oliver being 20 years in the astral plane.

Wacky thought:  What if Fargo & Legion are the same universe?  UFO sightings were just David messing with people.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I wanna know what's going on with the Eye. Has Lenny let him off the leash on purpose or has he loosened his own bonds? Also does he have any powers besides being able to look like other people? Because the show plays him as far more terrifying than just that.

The guy with the telekinetic power is a drooling idiot in the hospital, and I think that's because the Eye messed with his mind prior to the plunge down the rabbit hole. He also did something to Ptolomy when he touched him. 

11 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

This past episode lost too much momentum.  They needed something more to happen before the end. 

same here - they didn't need to spend an episode (and more, I guess) on them being trapped in a virtual representation of a plausible reality. It also failed to add much to the characters besides Ptonomy's background.

There were some nice moments but it did feel like the show was stalling/being a bit indulgent with itself. eg Lenny's dance routine - nice to watch but not sure what it really added.

My frustration with that episode was that it didn't really resolve itself by the end. 

Many shows end up having these 'pause' episodes and mostly I hate them because I just want to get on with it.

While this wasn't my favourite ep, it was very well done. Any other show would have fallen over a pretentious cliff and could have looked like it was made by a self indulgent art student. But this felt like it was created by someone who was in control of his craft and had thought it through.

There were so many wonderful uses of symbolism , creating that real sense of being in a dream. 'The door' being a metaphor for escaping which was discussed but every time it came up Plaza appeared. His sister having a sort of conversation about adoption and appearing like a villain , mirroring Davids feelings about her at the time. 

Cant say I fully enjoyed the episode but it wasn't a step down in quality, in fact it showed just how good this show is 

31 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

My frustration with that episode was that it didn't really resolve itself by the end. 

Many shows end up having these 'pause' episodes and mostly I hate them because I just want to get on with it.

While this wasn't my favourite ep, it was very well done. Any other show would have fallen over a pretentious cliff and could have looked like it was made by a self indulgent art student. But this felt like it was created by someone who was in control of his craft and had thought it through.

There were so many wonderful uses of symbolism , creating that real sense of being in a dream. 'The door' being a metaphor for escaping which was discussed but every time it came up Plaza appeared. His sister having a sort of conversation about adoption and appearing like a villain , mirroring Davids feelings about her at the time. 

Cant say I fully enjoyed the episode but it wasn't a step down in quality, in fact it showed just how good this show is 

the fact it didn't conclude was the thing that annoyed me the most as it suggests there will be time spent on the same story next episode. I guess breaking out of the mindtrap could be the endgame in itself - otherwise it's going to be a busy final 2 episodes

9 minutes ago, red snow said:

the fact it didn't conclude was the thing that annoyed me the most as it suggests there will be time spent on the same story next episode. I guess breaking out of the mindtrap could be the endgame in itself - otherwise it's going to be a busy final 2 episodes

yeah, the resolution to that story could be interesting however. I do love the surreal abstract aspect of the show, especially that is done so well and doesn't feel rushed. But it also needs to move a bit faster if its not going to get massively frustrating.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

After the latest episode, i have come to the conclusion that this show is nowhere near as clever and interesting as it thinks it is. It's basically the same crap every week.

I disagree. It might be less entertaining on a story level, but I think its exactly as clever and interesting as it thinks it is.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

After the latest episode, i have come to the conclusion that this show is nowhere near as clever and interesting as it thinks it is. It's basically the same crap every week.

I disagree as well. I didn't enjoy this episode that much but it hasn't detracted from the overall cleverness of the show. For a show that takes a lot of risks, can't expect every one to pay off every time.

14 hours ago, red snow said:

same here - they didn't need to spend an episode (and more, I guess) on them being trapped in a virtual representation of a plausible reality. It also failed to add much to the characters besides Ptonomy's background.

The problem with the characters being in a dream state for the entire episode is that it's not clear what the stakes are - while they're clearly in danger it's not clear whether the things they do in the "hospital" matter. I agree there should have been more resolution at the end.

In terms of character background we also found out a bit more about David's real father, that he seems to have been aware of the threat from Lenny/King/whatever and was trying to hide David away to protect him. 

9 hours ago, williamjm said:

The problem with the characters being in a dream state for the entire episode is that it's not clear what the stakes are - while they're clearly in danger it's not clear whether the things they do in the "hospital" matter. I agree there should have been more resolution at the end.

In terms of character background we also found out a bit more about David's real father, that he seems to have been aware of the threat from Lenny/King/whatever and was trying to hide David away to protect him. 

At least we know Xavier isn't just a lousy father - and it looks like Patrick Stewart would be cool with a guest slot.

I guess the only stakes are that time is still passing in the real world but slowly. Syd looks to be in trouble unless they find a way to stop those bullets hitting her. I guess David can stop them with a little focus.

That's why they needed to resolve it by the end of the episode. Right now we are all in limbo unable to tell whether the episode was a massive waste of time or incredibly brilliant. 

25 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

That's why they needed to resolve it by the end of the episode. Right now we are all in limbo unable to tell whether the episode was a massive waste of time or incredibly brilliant. 

when shows forget they aren't on netflix.

Even if the next episode reveals the brilliance of this one it's still a poorly constructed episode. They'd have been better doing a long episode

The problem with the characters being in a dream state for the entire episode is that it's not clear what the stakes are

And this essentially sums up my problem with Legion. It feels like most of the season has taken place inside David's head. Zzzzzzz......

22 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

And this essentially sums up my problem with Legion. It feels like most of the season has taken place inside David's head. Zzzzzzz......

I mean if you don't like that then its pretty understandable. But having had to endure Iron Fist this weekend I'm more than happy that Legion is attempting to do something different, and is doing it with a level of craftsmanship and style that would be unheard of 5 years ago in a comic book tv show. 

I'm sure the show could have been a bit more action packed and have been more about mutants and their powers, possibly a lot more generic in that way. But I think what attracted Noah Hawley to it was the potential to make it more abstract and challenging. It being about David's mind, which is the one central element of the show that is most interesting, makes sense. 

26 minutes ago, red snow said:

when shows forget they aren't on netflix.

Even if the next episode reveals the brilliance of this one it's still a poorly constructed episode. They'd have been better doing a long episode

Maybe a longer episode or a two parter. Maybe by next week all will be forgiven. 

19 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I mean if you don't like that then its pretty understandable. But having had to endure Iron Fist this weekend I'm more than happy that Legion is attempting to do something different, and is doing it with a level of craftsmanship and style that would be unheard of 5 years ago in a comic book tv show. 

I'm sure the show could have been a bit more action packed and have been more about mutants and their powers, possibly a lot more generic in that way. But I think what attracted Noah Hawley to it was the potential to make it more abstract and challenging. It being about David's mind, which is the one central element of the show that is most interesting, makes sense.

Ugh. Iron Fist. Jesus, what a load of shite. Tried watching it last night but didn't make it to the end of the premiere.

Compared to that, yes, Legion is a freakin' masterpiece. But while I really want to like it, the absence of plot is a big problem. Also, it doesn't help that David is a proper wanker.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Ugh. Iron Fist. Jesus, what a load of shite. Tried watching it last night but didn't make it to the end of the premiere.

Compared to that, yes, Legion is a freakin' masterpiece. But while I really want to like it, the absence of plot is a big problem. Also, It doesn't help that David is a proper wanker.

Well yeah, I think David (Dan Stevens) is pretty weak, I don't like him and have said it a number of time in this thread that the show would be better with a different actor. That the character is a dick is part of the point though. 

For me the one thing keeping me coming back is the ambiguity, that I don't know what exactly is happening. But I do at least suspect that its not entirely stupid. Its also beautifully well made.

I think Dan Stevens is okay. Not brilliant but he still makes the role interesting and has good chemistry with the rest of the cast. 

I liked this episode, and thought it was worthwhile just for some clearer info on Lenny (or whatever) and what's going in with David. The ending made me think it's essentially a two-parter so I don't mind the lack of resolution. 

Also Aubrey Plaza's Dance number made this whole episode worthwhile even if nothing else had happened. 10/10 have watched several times on YouTube since last night :P 

eta: I'd been under the impression this had been on longer than it had so now I'm caught up. Weekly viewing sucks

I felt like Plaza's performance fit in this episode. So far she's been so theatrical and over the top and its bugged me. But this episode it kind of worked. Maybe this is what the makers have been aiming for, but they havent quite hit the right notes with Plaza and Stevens performances. The show is a little lacking in creative cohesion, sometimes a bit zany, sometimes a little too realistic. They work better when it feels more heightened.

Archived