Legion (FX's Marvel tv series) [SPOILERS]

AncalagonTheBlack

Just now, Mexal said:

Gotcha. I completely disagree with this. I don't think anything she is doing is obvious and I think she makes a compelling, scene stealing villain that allows the show to be inventive in how it tells its story.

As the villain she works a lot better I agree. I don't love it as I still find it a little over the top and rehearsed, but I like her far more than I did at the start of the season when she was just being the druggie best friend, she was mostly just annoying there. 

8 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

That shes actually any good. I've liked bits and pieces of her performance, but often she's hamming it up so badly I can't look past it. Her dance number was really great, and there are occasional flashes of brilliance. But often I'm left thinking she's just over doing it, and being crazy and threatening in the most obvious expected fashion.

Oh damn, that dance number is what put this show next level for me. If tonight's finale pays off, then LEGION is the show to beat as best of 2017.

And as you may have guessed, much like @Martini Sigil, I'm firmly planted in the "I Love Aubrey Plaza" column.

I think AP delivered exactly what the show wanted.  It's so trippy that it needed her to be over-the-top.  She transitioned from zany friend to crazed bad influence to creepy, malevolent antagonist.  Most of the outlandish scenery chewing looks like specific direction, e.g. the dance number, the vaudeville scene, etc.  I have doubts about her overall range as an actress but she seems pretty well cast here. 

7 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I think AP delivered exactly what the show wanted.  It's so trippy that it needed her to be over-the-top.  She transitioned from zany friend to crazed bad influence to creepy, malevolent antagonist.  Most of the outlandish scenery chewing looks like specific direction, e.g. the dance number, the vaudeville scene, etc.  I have doubts about her overall range as an actress but she seems pretty well cast here. 

Yeah this is my point. The show wasn't quite so trippy for the first few episodes, so her scenery chewing just didn't work for me (also that both her and stevens were doing impressions of Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys) later on when it really got totally surreal, her performance made a lot more sense. 

That was probably the weakest episode of the season. It felt really sloppy and not in a trippy way. The burned guy was a distraction and could have just been brought back next season. The conflict between Carey and Kerry felt completely forced and unnecessary. And that final action sequence was not one of their best. Last week was so strong, this felt like an afterthought.

I was pretty satisfied with the final ep.  It was too forced that Syd would break discipline like that, and Kerry run into the room, and why was Ptolemy shooting his Tommy gun and risking everyone? -- this team uses tactical discipline like the three stooges.  But it resolved David's internal struggle, it brought back Division 3 as realistic antagonists -- the Eye had devolved into a horror character -- and it set up Lenny and Oliver for S2, which should be great.  

Still doesn't explain how D3 suddenly found Summerland, but ok. 

It was going to be difficult matching the previous two episodes, and although it ultimately didn't succeed, I still enjoyed the finale. It resolved some conflict from the season while transitioning to next season.It brought much of the season full circle with D3/Clark and David and the team facing off again and somewhat resolving the Shadow King/David conflict.

The weakest part for me was the introduction with Clark. Unless he is going to play a larger part in the upcoming seasons, that introduction with his recuperation from the pool incident was, at the least, overlong, maybe completely unnecessary. He was basically just D3's eyes and ears for the confrontation between the Shadow King and David in the finale.

Initially watching the episode I was a bit disappointed the Shadow King chose to escape such a powerful host instead of continuing to fight for control. After the previous episode I thought the Shadow King was seeking vengeance against Professor X and not just a powerful host in David. I'm wondering whether the Shadow King's infecting Oliver was by design or just random and he chose to use Oliver(about whom I wish to know more). Regardless next season should be a lot of fun with Aubrey and Jemaine. I can't but think of the film Gentleman Broncos whenever Jemaine in on screen :)

I suppose, in a roundabout  and unintentional sort of way, Syd was the hero for season 1. Her susceptibility to the Shadow King ultimately led to his escape and the freeing of David. I'm still not exactly sure how her powers work. I initially thought she was similar to Rogue, but actually transferred bodies with whomever she touches. I'm not too sure after the finale's kiss.

I'll echo the sentiment above about the fight being ridiculous, especially Ptonomy running in and just unloading. However, I loved the visual of David and Kerry/SK running into each other.

No idea what the hell that was in the post-credit scene.

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

I suppose, in a roundabout  and unintentional sort of way, Syd was the hero for season 1. Her susceptibility to the Shadow King ultimately led to his escape and the freeing of David. I'm still not exactly sure how her powers work. I initially thought she was similar to Rogue, but actually transferred bodies with whomever she touches. I'm not too sure after the finale's kiss.

I'll echo the sentiment above about the fight being ridiculous, especially Ptonomy running in and just unloading. However, I loved the visual of David and Kerry/SK running into each other.

I think the overall plot of the finale was good and sets things up well for the second season, but I thought some of the details didn't really make sense. I've now no idea how Syd's powers work. Based on what we saw before I can understand the first part with her switching consciousness with the Shadow King (I'm willing to accept that since there are two consciousnesses in David she could switch with just one of them), but I don't then understand why the SK still seems to have some of David's powers in its new host, as well as being able to use Syd's body switching power with Kerry.

David and the rest chasing after Oliver and the Shadow King does sound like it could make for a good plotline for season 2.

The post credits scene with David getting captured by the orb thing felt a bit gimmicky. I'd have preferred to end the season with Oliver and Aubrey Plaza driving down the road listening to T-Rex.

Overall, I think it's been a great first season, I'd say it's one of the best superhero TV shows yet made.

On 29/03/2017 at 3:18 PM, Mexal said:

I've been thinking about this more and more and I don't think Legion would be half as good if not for Aubrey Plaza. From episode 4 onwards, she's carried the show at times. What inspired casting.

Agreed. I was a bit worried when they announced a season 2 renewal that we would have the show without Plaza because I assumed the Shadow King would be wrapped up this season. Happy that's not the case, especially considering who they have paired her with.

I thought this was the weakest episode of the season, especially coming of the high from episodes 6 and 7. The confrontation with D3 was so disappointing and anti-climatic. The overall feel of the finale was very rushed imo. Still enjoyed it but weakest episode so far.

And goddamnit I hate post-credit scenes. I guess that was D3 seizing David though, nothing else would really make sense

eta: @Astromech isn't there a line in a previous episode that Oliver is similarly powered to David? And having been trapped in the astral plane and his memories being so patchy, I guess he is an easier host to control, especially now that David is aware of him. 

As for Syd's power and the final scenes, I didn't think it was a problem. My take on it is that since Shadow King is parasitic, he has acquired some of David's powers. But when he transferred to Syd's body he could use the powers she has too. 

Regarding the mid-credits scene, what were the two names D3 said about sending in to Summerland, peacemaker and  . . . ? The drone could be one of the two.

@HelenaExMachina that sounds about right. I want to say it was Melanie that made the statement about Oliver.

1 minute ago, Astromech said:

Regarding the mid-credits scene, what were the two names D3 said about sending in to Summerland, peacemaker and  . . . ? The drone could be one of the two.

@HelenaExMachina that sounds about right. I want to say it was Melanie that made the statement about Oliver.

Equinox or something? That seems most logical to me. They specifically said to send it in when Shadow King broke free and then nothing happened. I kept expecting helicopters and soldiers to come storming in. But something that neutralises/contains David makes more sense.

I actually suspect Clark will get more screentime next season. I don't think they would waste time on his recovery and family situation and the fact he cares somewhat for David if he wasn't around to stay. Next season is 10 episodes so a bit longer to flesh out the larger cast, 

Yeah I think it was Melanie when she first visited Oliver's ice chamber.

So, two questions: 

Did David leave his therapist to die at the D3 unit? And if so, why?

What did the stars say?

On 3/30/2017 at 5:11 AM, Morpheus said:

That was probably the weakest episode of the season. It felt really sloppy and not in a trippy way...

On 3/29/2017 at 10:35 PM, Nictarion said:

Not as good as the penultimate episode, but I liked it...

*sigh* I have to agree with you both. It was a decent enough episode, but almost too formulaic or traditional. The confusion came not from the situations the characters were in but from the writing choices. Like why are we getting a six minute intro for this "villain" who is immediately neutered and becomes nothing more than a bystander for the rest of the episode? Why not spend that time on Lenny/Shadow King backstory?

Oliver is back form the astral plane for what exactly? Oh, it's to serve as a plot device to get Shadow King out of David.

One of the things that made David the most interesting character on TV for 7 episodes is gone now? Oh. Okay. Guess you painted yourself into that corner, Noah Hawley. Moving on to a more traditional focus on external conflicts for season two, I see. Well, it was a good run while it lasted. :/

11 hours ago, Morpheus said:

They played pretty loose with Syd's power at the end there. But The Shadow King is an extremely powerful mutant so he was not really using David's powers in new hosts, he was just using his own in addition to the host's power.

That's a good theory, but I'm not sure how accurate. In the comics David/Legion has many different abilities and powers, but whichever personality or consciousness that's in control of David's mind at the time only has access to certain abilities. (Similar to the James McEvoy character in the film Split.In fact exactly like that.) I was hoping the show would move in that direction, exploring what schizophrenia with mutant abilities could be like, dealing with the internal struggle, exploring the definition of sanity. However, from the interview I linked above w/ Noah Hawley, it seems the show is moving away from the source material more in season two and more into traditional good vs evil superhero territory. It's a shame.

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Equinox or something? That seems most logical to me. They specifically said to send it in when Shadow King broke free and then nothing happened...

So, two questions: 

Did David leave his therapist to die at the D3 unit? And if so, why?

What did the stars say?

Yes, I agree the post-credit scene with the orb is most likely the Division 3 Equinox Mysterious Govt. Man spoke of earlier in the episode.

I was hoping the twist would be that the broken David we were introduced to was the best SK could make of an even more severely damaged psyche. The merely seemingly ill David Haller was held together with gum and scotch tape disguising someone more in line with the comics. Without mental illness, this becomes a fairly standard power fantasy- "none of your problems are real, you are the most powerful being in the world. Hooray!" I do worry about what they will do in season 2 without the mindtrip elements.

Archived