Horn of Joramun

bobjoemac

Long time Lurker first time poster. Love the community and the thought behind some of these theories which are always fun to read.

Anyways

So I was reading the new Illustrated A Game Of Thrones and during Tyrion II I read the line 

" Three days ride from Winterfell, however, the farmland gave way to dense wood, and the kingsroad grew lonely. The flint hills rose higher and wilder with each passing mile, until by the fifth day they had turned into mountains, cold blue-grey giants with jagged promontories and snow on their shoulders. When the wind blew from the north, long plumes of ice crystals flew from the high peaks like banners. "

While this may be a Stretch it reminded me of the Horn of Joramun blurb of info " woke the giants from the earth."

So with no other real evidence beside a coincidental comparison, Maybe the Horn of Joramun can cause a dormant volcano to erupt thus waking (Erupting) the giants (mountains) from the earth.

Sorry if this has been discussed in length before I did a quick search for Joramun and Volcanos and didn't find anything.

May be, but personally, I've always associated this tale with the white walkers... They are said to sleep beneath the ice for thousands of years and described as tall. I know tall is not exactly "giant' but it may be symbolic.

But my main problem with them being the described "giants", is we don't know who awake them, how and why...

1 hour ago, The Hoare said:

Could be. In theory a volcano can destroy the Wall.

I've always found weird that the Horn can awake the giants, as we know they aren't sleeping.

The legends talk of the giants being fierce creatures that mix blood with their porridge, but the giants we have seen are gentle unless provoked. I interpret it as the horn would revert them to a fierce nature.

I have a pet theory on how that would be accomplished but it's crackpot.

8 minutes ago, Praetor Xyn said:

I have a pet theory on how that would be accomplished but it's crackpot.

Ow come on, share it with us.
It's not like we haven't seen any crackpot theories here in the last couple of years.

*can't wait for the next book to arrive, so we can stop with all the crackpot crap and get to the reality of the books in stead.

Oh for heavens sake!

Can the author not describe something without it being linked to some distant non possibility?

He's just saying that the mountains are 'Giant' that is all - sure, he could have said they were big, enormous, gigantic etc.  and avoided any misinterpretation but surely this is reaching.

2 minutes ago, Victarian Revolution said:

Oh for heavens sake!

Can the author not describe something without it being linked to some distant non possibility?

*I'm on sarcasm mode today!

No he can not, everything is linked to everything, every word has at least a second meaning (perhaps 5 or more even), everybody is a secret Targaryen, but is actually Jaqen H'ghar who is being warged by Bloodraven, who is being warged by the icedragon hidden in Winterfell, that is being controlled by Bran from the future.

Ow, and Jaqen H'ghar is actually the kindly man, who is Arya while she used Bran's powers to physically travel back into time and train herself.

21 minutes ago, Ser Walter of AShwood said:

Ow come on, share it with us.
It's not like we haven't seen any crackpot theories here in the last couple of years.

*can't wait for the next book to arrive, so we can stop with all the crackpot crap and get to the reality of the books in stead.

The main person Warged by Bran in our story is Hodor, who is half giant. I think it's possible that Greenseers can't Warg people but they can giants. The language about giants like blood in their porridge sounds a lot like Jojen paste too. So I think the horn would awaken COTF from a slumber and they would Warg giants and go on a rampage.

12 minutes ago, Praetor Xyn said:

The main person Warged by Bran in our story is Hodor, who is half giant. I think it's possible that Greenseers can't Warg people but they can giants. The language about giants like blood in their porridge sounds a lot like Jojen paste too. So I think the horn would awaken COTF from a slumber and they would Warg giants and go on a rampage.

But that would imply that the COTF are enemies of mankind. Why would they want to bring down the wall and send the WW to Westeros?
Yes, I am aware of the theories that the WW were created by a COTF faction, but a pact was signed and until now the COTF have upheld the agreements in that pact.

10 minutes ago, Ser Walter of AShwood said:

But that would imply that the COTF are enemies of mankind. Why would they want to bring down the wall and send the WW to Westeros?
Yes, I am aware of the theories that the WW were created by a COTF faction, but a pact was signed and until now the COTF have upheld the agreements in that pact.

The pact was one-sided, with the COTF getting the "deep wood", but we can surmise that mankind took thwt too because Deepwood Motte exists.

I'm not saying the COTF want tk destroy mankind, and even if my theory is correct I doubt there are enough giants to allow thwt even if they wanted to, but I think it's a mistake to assume they are wholly benevolent, particularly if you've read GRRM's science fiction stuff where various entities parallel COTF.

I suspect you are correct...

The children fought back as best they could, but the First Men were larger and stronger. Riding their horses, clad and armed in bronze, the First Men overwhelmed the elder race wherever they met, for the weapons of the children were made of bone and wood and dragonglass. Finally, driven by desperation, the little people turned to sorcery and beseeched their greenseers to stem the tide of these invaders.

And so they did, gathering in their hundreds (some say on the Isle of Faces), and calling on their old gods with song and prayer and grisly sacrifice (a thousand captive men were fed to the weirwood, one version of the tale goes, whilst another claims the children used the blood of their own young). And the old gods stirred, and giants awoke in the earth, and all of Westeros shook and trembled. Great cracks appeared in the earth, and hills and mountains collapsed and were swallowed up. And then the seas came rushing in, and the Arm of Dorne was broken and shattered by the force of the water, until only a few bare rocky islands remained above the waves. The Summer Sea joined the narrow sea, and the bridge between Essos and Westeros vanished for all time.

TWOIAF, Dorne, The Breaking

Archived